Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
I had two C&P exams during the pandemic. Both for mental health. I've been IU since the beginning. Was very stressful getting those letters in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
My takeaway should be: it's uncertain if you'll get a compensation and pension re-evaluation, so just keep up with your rating conditions and hope for the best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

My takeaway should be: it's uncertain if you'll get a compensation and pension re-evaluation, so just keep up with your rating conditions and hope for the best.

It isn't exactly uncertain. Are your disabilities considered permanent or are they part of a subset that has a chance for improvement? If you're in the latter category, they should have been some sort of identification on your rating.

If you have cancer, they'll re-evaluate you periodically to see if it is in remission. If you have PTSD and it hasn't been determined to be permanent, you'll get re-evaluated after a certain point. Re-evaluations for things like this happen typically at 6 months or so and then again between 2-5 years after initial rating.

The VA can also re-evaluate physical disabilities if there has been a marked improvement in the condition documented in the veteran's medical record.

If your ratings are all identified as permanent and your physical condition never really improves as it relates to those ratings, you're not going to be re-evaluated. If you have anything that is not permanent, you might be re-evaluated within your first five years to determine if there has been improvement in your condition.

My advice is to not worry about it to much unless you're on the TDRL for PTSD or something like that.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

The VA posted:

You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities: No

Suppose I'm open for re-evaluation, but I shouldn't burn calories stressing over it, and I should just maintain in my post-retirement records that I still have the problems I was originally rated for (because I do.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

Suppose I'm open for re-evaluation, but I shouldn't burn calories stressing over it, and I should just maintain in my post-retirement records that I still have the problems I was originally rated for (because I do.)

That's a different thing than what I'm talking about. Total and permanent disability is a specific term. You won't ever see that say "yes" unless your rating is 100%.

I'm trying to dig up my paperwork to give you a better idea of what to look for when seeing if your disabilities are considered permanent or not.

Regardless, you should seek treatment for any issues you have and try to live as good a life as you can. I wouldn't sweat re-evaluation as it is not a common thing to happen unless you have specific disabilities (like PTSD and cancer) that they want to check on your progress as time goes on.

e: Here's a website that goes into more details about what types of things can be re-evaluated in your five year window:
https://vaclaimsinsider.com/va-disability-5-year-rule-explained/

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 5, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Gents, I got out of the IRR a couple months back and can not find copies of my AD med records online (NPRC, VA, the site that has my OMPF that I don't remember the name of, tricare portal) - I would think my last duty station may be where they're at, but figure I would ask what you guys recommend for running those down since someone here has probably dealt with this before. I'm late on this due to having had every intention of going back to the service but turns out I would rather eat 300k in pro school debt than put a uniform back on. Thanks for any assistance.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I am taking ten hours this semester. I had registered for classes but forgot to certify them with the VA, so a couple days before classes were supposed to begin, I was dropped due to non-payment. No matter, I just re-registered in the hopes I wouldn’t be dropped from them immediately. I then sent certification requests on all classes, and it took like two weeks before I heard a peep about it from the certification office. I haven’t been dropped yet, but I never officially heard that my classes had been certified, and I did receive a text last week from the VA asking me to confirm I was still in school, and I replied yes.

Problem is, we haven’t receive the stipend, so I have no idea what is going on. I guess I could ask the VA counselor on campus, but not sure he’d know when we will see the money. My wife wants me to call the VA but not sure I have time to wait on hold.

Am I getting the stipend or what? Do I need to email the certification office or try and call them?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Go talk to the VA person at your school. You'll get better answers out of them than us. Usually.

maffew buildings posted:

Gents, I got out of the IRR a couple months back and can not find copies of my AD med records online (NPRC, VA, the site that has my OMPF that I don't remember the name of, tricare portal) - I would think my last duty station may be where they're at, but figure I would ask what you guys recommend for running those down since someone here has probably dealt with this before. I'm late on this due to having had every intention of going back to the service but turns out I would rather eat 300k in pro school debt than put a uniform back on. Thanks for any assistance.

I'd call a DAV rep, especially if you're planning to file a claim. Fill them in on when/where you were at discharge and let them do the legwork, then have them file your claims for you.

DAV > VFW and Legion for representation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

life is killing me posted:

So I am taking ten hours this semester. I had registered for classes but forgot to certify them with the VA, so a couple days before classes were supposed to begin, I was dropped due to non-payment. No matter, I just re-registered in the hopes I wouldn’t be dropped from them immediately. I then sent certification requests on all classes, and it took like two weeks before I heard a peep about it from the certification office. I haven’t been dropped yet, but I never officially heard that my classes had been certified, and I did receive a text last week from the VA asking me to confirm I was still in school, and I replied yes.

Problem is, we haven’t receive the stipend, so I have no idea what is going on. I guess I could ask the VA counselor on campus, but not sure he’d know when we will see the money. My wife wants me to call the VA but not sure I have time to wait on hold.

Am I getting the stipend or what? Do I need to email the certification office or try and call them?

Are you wondering when you're going to get your payment into your account or the payment to the school? If you got the message from the VA, that means your enrollment has been submitted. If you're worried about your school's receipt of payment, the va office on campus would be who to talk to. If you have passed the "drop for nonpayment" period and haven't been dropped AND your enrollment has been submitted to the VA, I think you're probably fine on the school payment front.

If you're wondering when you're going to get your payment, well, va stuff is processed in the order it's received. If you didn't get yours submitted until after classes began, you're behind the curve and are in the back of the queue. You will get paid eventually with full backpay, but it may be a few weeks.

Also, any reason you're just taking 10 hours? That's only part time so you won't be getting the full BAH rate.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, any reason you're just taking 10 hours? That's only part time so you won't be getting the full BAH rate.

I am working 40-50 hours per week too, plus parenting two children—even 3/4 time is pushing it. This is probably the most classes I can take and still conceivably pass with more than a C average. Also chemistry is kicking my rear end, that poo poo could be my only class at 4 hours and I’d be struggling with it still.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I am working 40-50 hours per week too, plus parenting two children—even 3/4 time is pushing it. This is probably the most classes I can take and still conceivably pass with more than a C average. Also chemistry is kicking my rear end, that poo poo could be my only class at 4 hours and I’d be struggling with it still.

Ah. Yeah, that's rough. I hope you can find enough scholarships and financial aid so that you can quit working and just go to school full time. Chemistry is tough. Definitely use as many resources as you have available for study help there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

I had a sit-down with DAV on Friday, and one of the questions I asked was if there was a way I could get an electronic copy of my medical records. The answer was, unfortunately, "No, but you can file a FOIA request for a copy of them. It'll take a while."

If you do the paperwork for DAV to represent you, they DO get access to an e-copy of your records though; you don't have to bring your stack o' poo poo in.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

maffew buildings posted:

I did the ole mail an SF 180 thing a few months back:
https://www.tricare.mil/Resources/MedicalRecords#:~:text=To%20request%20a%20complete%20copy,home%20military%20hospital%20or%20clinic.

Took forever to get them and had to send a follow-up email or two BUT eventually got a CD in the mail with all of my medical records on it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Ok, well here's to hoping my medical department didn't trash them (this is a real risk, they didn't believe in proper 'record keeping' or 'not losing medical documents and records' or 'HIPAA' or 'not having a medical officer who wouldn't be sued for malpractice were it not for the Ferris Doctrine'), so basically a standard Navy medical department

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What did the VA do that completely broke MyHealthyVet? It worked fine the first 2 years I was out of the Army but I got an email today saying I have a new message there and I cannot login to save my life. The website fails to load properly, tells me there's some issue with my browser (there isn't) and to log out and try again. If I do manage to login succesfully it logs me out if I click my messages inbox, or it reloads the MyHealthyVet home page only it has once again failed to load properly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mustang posted:

What did the VA do that completely broke MyHealthyVet? It worked fine the first 2 years I was out of the Army but I got an email today saying I have a new message there and I cannot login to save my life. The website fails to load properly, tells me there's some issue with my browser (there isn't) and to log out and try again. If I do manage to login succesfully it logs me out if I click my messages inbox, or it reloads the MyHealthyVet home page only it has once again failed to load properly.

Works fine for me, boss. When is the last time you restarted your computer?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Still busted. Restarted computer, restarted modem, tried it on my laptop and cell phone. Doesn't matter which browser I use, same thing happens. I'll get to the MyHealthyVet home page, click messages, and it reloads the homepage only this time it's a broken and improperly loaded page.

Constantly makes me sign in again if I click any links that actually work, as if I'm not actually signed in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That’s really bizarre. You might have a corrupted message in your inbox or something. I’d try giving them a call. Googling for their technical support gave me this number: 877-327-0022

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I called the veterans advisor at the school because I’ve been getting about a stipend, but there’s been some discrepancies. I had never received notice that more than one of my classes had been certified, and when I inquired about this, he said it looked like only chemistry was certified. I told him I’d been getting more than I’d think of only one was certified, and that somehow after weeks I’ve not been dropped from my classes for nonpayment. That last weird thing was that he said my other two classes that aren’t certified yet, are also on my degree plan so there is no reason they shouldn’t have been certified.

On another note, I’m looking to drop a class—ten hours is kicking my rear end. What are the financial implications for dropping a class? If the classes are indeed certified, what happens when I drop a class and what do I need to do?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

So I called the veterans advisor at the school because I’ve been getting about a stipend, but there’s been some discrepancies. I had never received notice that more than one of my classes had been certified, and when I inquired about this, he said it looked like only chemistry was certified. I told him I’d been getting more than I’d think of only one was certified, and that somehow after weeks I’ve not been dropped from my classes for nonpayment. That last weird thing was that he said my other two classes that aren’t certified yet, are also on my degree plan so there is no reason they shouldn’t have been certified.

On another note, I’m looking to drop a class—ten hours is kicking my rear end. What are the financial implications for dropping a class? If the classes are indeed certified, what happens when I drop a class and what do I need to do?

Depending on whether you're passed the add/drop date you may be on the hook for a class you drop iirc. You may be able to get it waived one time though? You need to talk to your academic advisor and certifying official

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

There is a one time chance per use of GI bill to drop a class (maybe more than one, call them to double check?) without having to pay back tuition or have your MHA lowered for the rest of the semester. I used it, but I wish I saved it for later though.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

This is a dumb question but not entirely sure where I should ask and the internet isn't being helpful.

How do I -- formally -- address a retired naval officer in an email? Would the salutation read;

CDR. (Ret.) Name
Or
CDR Name?

I don't need the whole block of text denoting their branch and everything else, just the title. Usually I wouldn't worry about it, but in this case I'm writing from a job where I have a title (Dr.) and i feel I should extend the same courtesy. I'm leaning toward leaving out the Ret., but I fully expect to be wrong!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BUG JUG posted:

This is a dumb question but not entirely sure where I should ask and the internet isn't being helpful.

How do I -- formally -- address a retired naval officer in an email? Would the salutation read;

CDR. (Ret.) Name
Or
CDR Name?

I don't need the whole block of text denoting their branch and everything else, just the title. Usually I wouldn't worry about it, but in this case I'm writing from a job where I have a title (Dr.) and i feel I should extend the same courtesy. I'm leaning toward leaving out the Ret., but I fully expect to be wrong!

Mr.

Unless his being retired is relevant to the job.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Mr.

Unless his being retired is relevant to the job.

I'm having him come talk about commanding the USS Constitution. So...again, maybe?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BUG JUG posted:

I'm having him come talk about commanding the USS Constitution. So...again, maybe?

Yeah if you are inviting them to speak in their capacity as someone who held a military position, just address them as CDR Name.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hekk posted:

Yeah if you are inviting them to speak in their capacity as someone who held a military position, just address them as CDR Name.

:hmmyes:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

BUG JUG posted:

Cdr. [Name], is appropriate.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

BUG JUG posted:

CDR. (Ret.) Name
Or
CDR Name?

They're not military anymore so it's Mr. or Mrs/Ms.

I cannot fathom people call me sergeant anymore.

If my take is too obtuse, ask protocol. They'd know for certain as I'm sure it's codified in some obscure protocol manual regarding this exact topic.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 4, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

If my take is too obtuse, ask protocol. They'd know for certain as I'm sure it's codified in some obscure protocol manual regarding this exact topic.

Protocol is a bit different for a Sergeant and a former Commanding Officer. If you are inviting someone to a function because they used to be CO of something, it's appropriate to use their retired grade in the invitation.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

Literally nobody but retired senior command E-9’s ever encounter the issue. Your right that it would be inappropriate for you as any old NCO. Similar to how any old officer instead of a former CO in relation to his time as CO doesn’t get the courtesy.

It’s been this way for a long time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

BUG JUG posted:

CDR. (Ret.) Name
Or
CDR Name?

I actually dug out my copy of the most recent protocol book regarding this and

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Why are you holding it down with a big toe?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I work at the wing so my thumbs were up my rear end, duh.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I actually dug out my copy of the most recent protocol book regarding this and

I feel slightly vindicated by this.

But, as a followup: I figured this could go one of two ways. Way 1: If I DON'T include a title, I somehow offend some stuffy noble they put in charge of an old boat who LIVES to be recognized as Commander So-and-So and now I have lost a useful resource that would be cool to be able to call in for future guest speaking, or Way 2: The guy really doesn't give a poo poo and it's a nice courtesy that is discarded as soon as possible.

Fortunately, he turned out to be the latter. Within two emails we were on a first name basis. Really I was only concerned because I teach at a private school where these sorts of niceties are noticed and matter (and it's nice to keep the parents happy so my paychecks don't suddenly start bouncing). I have a stuffy title of my own that I use and am referred to as in school, so it felt it polite to extend the courtesy.

Thank you all for the help!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Does anyone have experience getting a condition connected to service that your medical department didn't document for a disability claim? My med team didn't see fit to record some items and wondering if anyone's been through that wringer. I wasn't diligent about the records on the way out as I didn't, at the time, plan to be out of the service more than a few months during the process of changing branches but pandemic plus changing values equals nope!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Yes. Sworn statements from folks present at the time of event is big. Also, pre-service diagnoses compared with now diagnoses is significant.

VA has really challenged me, but the treatment is free so I complain quietly.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Got it, thanks. Well luckily The Boys will be down to write statements because it's related to something they made fun of me for when it happened and STILL make fun of me for!

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Just a reminder, if you have been exposed to burn pits or radiation be aware of any changes in your health, or any lumps in your neck. The PACT Act now covers a number of presumed illnesses.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MonkeyWash posted:

Just a reminder, if you have been exposed to burn pits or radiation be aware of any changes in your health, or any lumps in your neck. The PACT Act now covers a number of presumed illnesses.

What level of radiation are we talking about? Like on a scale from hanging out in an armory with tritium sights to using depleted uranium rounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

My radiation exposure is from depleted uranium in wartime and stupidity from the peacetime army at the Trinity site. I doubt sights would do it but who the gently caress knows? There could well be lawyer commercials in the future asking if you or a loved one were exposed to tritium.