Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Alright vets I'm finally done with my deployment, how do I set myself up for success afterwards. I'm going back to my civilian job eventually but we definitely had some issues with the burn pit and camel burning in east africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Flying_Crab posted:

idk where you were specifically and how it matters, but you might be eligible for the 5 years of post deployment healthcare through the VA. Also burn pit registries. Plus if you have any SC medical stuff, get a VA rating.

Yeah I'm looking into the closest Veterans group near me. I only have done the one deployment since joining the reserves.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Does anyone have a super easy calculator for how much a reserve retirement is worth? I'm saying like average retirement with like 115 or so points per year and doing 20. I see a lot of "this is how it should work" but noone lays out the math really good for me.

Edit: I found one
https://the-military-guide.com/reserve-retirement-calculator/

This means I'd probably make 2,000-2,500 per month assuming 2-3 more deployments and ending at 22-24 years as an O-6.

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 21, 2020

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Hey can someone help me with This VA disability pay versus drill pay thing and also explain it like I知 5. I知 30% rated and also drilling O3/8 years. My understanding was that the VA would pay me for the days that I知 not in BA but now I知 seeing it as more of an either or situation. Either I get disability pay or I get drill pay? Is that right?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Flying_Crab posted:

You can稚 receive pay from the Army and VA on the same day, AFAIK it usually makes more sense to lose a few days of VA pay.

Okay so I知 not getting paid for the two days I知 on IDT or BA, so I miss out on 2/30 days worth of disability pay, per month roughly?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Synnr posted:

Unfortunately the patient advocates and physicians at the medical center completely failed to return phone calls, direct or through the board, after the first month or so he was hospitalized and they weren't allowing outside visitation so I couldn't get in to bother them. It's part of why I was hoping there was something third party with a little more familiarity on what route I can take. Or maybe that's something more umbrella I can call, I don't know.

It was a complete failure of care on every level I can see, and the visitation restrictions didn't stop someone on staff from giving him covid-19 amidst oncology treatments, so I'm not feeling especially charitable anymore.

If you池e not feeling charitable, call your local congress critter. I知 sure they will love to hear this.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Also make sure that you put in for any disability services you qualify for and get that dd214 if you want a federal job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
On a lighter note, is there an organization that helps veteran small businesses (looking for tax help for my side gig- indie publishing house ). I feel like there's a ton of specific ones about MBAs and other but since it's niche....