Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

psydude posted:

Is there a time limit on filing a disability claim? My back injury from Afghanistan has flared up again, and I've decided to get help from a real doctor instead of the VA, which told me last year to just take ibuprofen and that physical therapy wasn't necessary.

Nope. You may be thinking of the rule where if you file within a year of separation then the claim is backdated to the day of separation. You can file a claim at any time.

Save yourself some trouble and get in touch with a local VSO (like the DAV), they can help you navigate the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
It’s $250 or so to become a lifetime member, but you can take the rest of your life to pay that. I paid $40 to “join” when the DAV assisted me on my claim.

E: and yes, absolutely go through a VSO such as DAV.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
So much of claims stuff is about getting screwed by what you couldn’t possibly have known about the claims system, so I feel like it’s always worth it to talk to a VSO before dropping any paper.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Yeah it’s a bit of a crapshoot as to what the best VSO in your area may be (DAV, VFW, state agency, etc.), but it’s absolutely worth going through one of them when submitting a claim. Remember that your claim is going into a massive bureaucratic machine. The presence or absence of very specific words and phrases might end up being the difference between a claim that sails through and one that requires an appeal.

The whole process is supposed to be massively streamlined from what it was even a decade ago, but still, give yourself every advantage possible.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
A few days ago I got an email about a review coming up with contractor QTC (I’m just about to hit my five years too). Just today I got a text saying all reviews conducted by QTC are on hold. So, might want to call the reviewer and find out if it’s still happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
That’s crazy. Just keep calling I guess, seems like everything is changing minute by minute.