Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

So my vocrehab told me if I get IU, I lose Vocrehab but can do 9/11 GI. True/False? Source?

I heard the same thing because part of vocrehab is finding a job which you can't do because you're IU. Unfortunately no links/source; just based on the chat with the VR&E Counselor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Delizin posted:

Absolutely false. I am on UI and Vocrehab at the same time and will remain on UI until I am able to work, which will hopefully be at the end of my voc rehab program.

Ask your counselor to show you the specific reg that says that. They won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

There is also an entire part of voc rehab called independent living where they determine that you won't be able to get a job afterward so they just want to help you with day to day life sort of stuff.

loving lol! Should've known with the VA. I have a meeting with my counselor next week and am calling him out on it.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
You're capped at 48 months total education benefit unless your Vocrehab counselor extends you. Doesn't matter if you use Post 911, VR or both. I thought I could use 4 years on VR then use Post 911. Nope!

There was a small window of time a few years back both were independent, but it was changed back.

I am currently applying for the VHA Post 911 rate even though I'm on VR, which is like an extra $700/month. lovely thing is the VR counselor doesn't believe me even though it says it right in the VA website and another counselor has processed other veterans to make it happen.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

What? Using Vocrehab doesn't use your GI Bill, and I thought you could use it afterwards.

So after I get my undergraduate degree, I'm not going to be allowed to use my GI BIll?

Depends on how much of your 48 months you've consumed, but essentially correct.

The more I research, the higher the numbers of lies and bad info the Voc Rehab counselor has been feeding me. :argh:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Here:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/admin28/M28R/Part_VII/M28R_pt07_ch04_secA.pdf

So here’s the thing. I do photography as therapy. I shoot sports games and stuff and it’s my way to kind of work through my stuff. It helps a lot. I volunteer, I’m not paid, and the school uses my stuff if they want but I’m not working for their media. I’m not bullshitting here. It helps.

I have 70% PTSD. Could this be a good argument for continuing that path?

I don't know. If it were me, and your therapy is VA directed, then I would find out how to work that therapy into the Voc Rehab process.

My Voc Rehab counselor told me that if you can prove a masters will substantially increase your employment opportunities you may be able to continue beyond 48 months.

The whole process seems very subjective and a lot rides on the recommendations of your counselor. Perhaps discuss not only therapeutic benefits of your current path but provide some research and hard data on job opportunities available from higher education. The whole program is designed to give you the tools you need to succeed in your new career so if you can prove greater success with more education anything is possible.

I met with the counselor today and he fed me even more BS. The next closest VA is two hours away but I really want a second opinion on much of this because he's demonstrated his lack of knowledge. If you're in an area where you have access to more than one counselor, chat them up!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
If you qualify for VR&E, you're good. It might be even easier since you're close to finishing your degree. Again, the counselor holds the cards, so...

Do this:
-Select "Additional Benefits" from your Dashboard.
-Select "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program" - be sure to read the program information and to update your contact information - and apply for either the "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program" or "Education/Career Counseling".
-If it is determined that you are eligible, you will be invited to attend an orientation session, in-person, at the nearest VA Regional Office.
-Servicemembers who have a disability that began or became worse during active duty and who have not yet received a service-connected disability (SCD) rating do not need to wait to apply. See VA Form 28-0588 for further instructions.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Be careful, it's the VA after all. My adventure being: 100% coverage through the VA and opted in to civilian insurance for dental and vision which also carried medical at the lowest level. Went to the VA ER and they asked for my civilian insurance which I provided. They told me they were required by law to try to offset their costs with my civilian insurance.

Fast forward many months and I start receive all sorts of bills from the civilian insurance. They stated I was not authorized to use the VA because it is not on their provider list. I promptly called the VA and was told, not our problem, deal with your insurance. Called again and was told by the VA, yeah we'll take care of this.

Three years in and some of the debt disappeared and some was sent to collections; the whole process has been a colossal goat gently caress. I have since dropped all civilian insurance and am at the mercy of a lovely VA. (This is an entirely different rabbit hole of gently caress.)

tl;dr You have full coverage but do some research first. I still don't know the truth when covered by both VA and civ ins. Be careful!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone on C31 receiving the full C33 stipend?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Delizin posted:

I am. After getting approved for Chapter 31, I had to send my certificate of eligibility for Chapter 33 to my VR&E counselor and he got it all set up.

PM'd you.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Document this and report it to someone. If you're being treated poorly then odds are someone else is as well.

I used to let things like this slide but after so many years, I am compelled to call them out and file complaints. No need for crappy!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Good to hear there are other people there who have your back on this. You make a good point about people having bad days and hopefully things get better for you!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Newish Forever GI Bill. Some changes may help you goons, check it out.
https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/forevergibill.asp

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

MonkeyWash posted:

I went through the anthrax series twice. Once in Desert Storm and again in OIF because no one was sure if it was still valid. My location is listed. I'm already at 100% though, so checkmate I guess? I'm gonna die

Same. This means double-hosed! Or maybe the poison cancels itself out?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Or it could be the answer to why I had a sudden onset of lower extremity issues. I doubt it, just nice to think about after having doctors be clueless after 4-5 years.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
There's a screen available through the VA website where you enter your dates of active service after 2001. (The site for entry of data may actually be a redirected site from the VA main site. Can't remember and phone posting.) They will then verify those dates with DOD and send you a Certificate of Eligibility.

Also DOD often loses poo poo and won't verify your service so definitely use the option at the end of the site's digital form to upload a copy of your DD214.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there a window for accessing benefits for older veterans? My father was a Vietnam veteran and while he uses the VA, he hasnt pursued a disability rating or anything else because he assumes it's been too long and he missed his window.

He's 73 and I'm thinking about the pension specifically. Does he need a disability rating to access that?

Ebenefits
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov

He can sign up for the website and begin the pension process via the site. There's many things he can do from this site.

He should really contact a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) because they specialize in helping veterans navigate VA related processes. There's a bunch of them such as Amvets, DAV, Vietnam Veterans of America, etc. Just search in your area for a close one and they can provide much more specific information. Also definitely ask them about a disability rating if he has issues. Again this is what VSO specialize in so they'll have the most current info on processes and regulations. :cheers:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

I definitely joined the wrong branch.

Thirding whomever to apply to vocrehab now.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Get a LOD signed by your unit explaining the injury occurred while on duty and your claim will go much easier.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I need to double check a couple of things to make sure I'm remembering correctly:
For those of us (probably all of us?) who weren't in for the "forever gi bill" or whatever...the regular Post 9/11 GIB expires 10 years after sep, right? EXCEPT if you're already in a class/semester/term, then it covers the full class/semester/term, right?

I just realized I need to start burning my remaining ~24 months starting next year if I want to also burn my MGIB. Next step: figure out what the gently caress I want to get another degree in. :geno:

I was told 15. It's been > 10 for me since I got out and I'm still getting P911 BAH. Your COE should cover it. Also, please don't rely on my words, I'm just a dude on the internet.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

It IS 15...I probably drilled it into my head that at the 10 year mark I should get started.

Still gonna look for an interesting program though, I want that 1500/mo BAH NOW.

:hfive:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

DantetheK9 posted:

I waited 14 years and I'm talking to a Veteran Service Officer next week about getting that process started. How hosed am I?

(I've finally started getting a lot of poo poo done after years of wallowing in untreated depression and PTSD. Some good friends gave me the swift kick in the rear end I needed to get some help)

Not hosed. Service connected is service connected. The VA is a big lumbering pile of poo poo but don't get discouraged. Your VSO is the expert and should guide you.

Submit everything. I was once advised to withhold my non VA medical treatments because it would drastically lengthen the process. Do not do this!

The main point is, your service caused things. Communicate everything about these things, as well as anything that could be secondary or tertiary to things.

I have a Vietnam era friend who was recently rated, so time is not relevant.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I used Amvets and they were top notch. Also if you have injuries while on active duty, a line of duty investigation is really valuable when dealing with the VA. It's just a sworn statement saying you got broke and others know about it.

Get copies of your medical records if you haven't already. When you submit your claims through the VA, list everything. You may get a zero percent on something but at least it's documented so 10 years from now when it's really bad, you'll have a trail.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

McNally posted:

Welp, fingers crossed. I got accepted to grad school, now I'm gonna try to get voc rehab to pay for it.

Outstanding! From finger guns to Doctor guns. Whatever, I am happy for you and your accomplishments.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Welp, I went to check to see how much VA Bill I have left and apparently somehow the last time I used the VA bill was 12 years ago and now I have 33 months of benefits with 20 months left to use them. How the heck did that happen? How did a decade of my life pass in a flash? (depression lol)

It says that with Covid I can finagle an extension of my GI Bill end date though? And get full BAH while taking classes remotely?

I don't care one bit about an education but I would like to mop up the last of those BAH dollars.

Hello,

There are date ceilings which apply a hard stop to VRE and Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Please do your needful! I think the VRE eligibility date is +12 and the P911 is +15 hard stop.

I am more confident on the P911 because I hit the threshold and funbux stopped.

There is a clause, that if you separated > 2013 or something, your eds are lifetime.

Holmes, talk to a VA knowing person and do NOT forfeit what you have earned.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Hekk posted:

The BAH you get from the Post 9/11 GI Bill is based off of the E-5 with dependents rate.

Seems like it’d most likely make sense to go to school where you’d like to move and make sure you have at least one in person class from that college.

Otherwise assuming you have some sort of service connected disability, you may look at Vocational Rehabilitation through the VA. You wouldn’t get the BAH using that though, which I assume plays into your income plans.

You can use VR&E and still get the P9/11 MHA rate for your area, providing you have eligibility. The VR&E advisor just needs to check a block on the form.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've got a lot of troubles from tangling with TB and AQ, but if other folks have difficulties as well, I don't begrudge them. Tinnitus is a copout though, none of us can hear anymore.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Just finished my 4th fall day. Got an email that my Tuesday class had a positive test, don't attend, they're deciding what to do.

Two loving days. I guess university profits are more important. Can't go to class UFN. Have a VA dental appointment next Friday, that I've waiting 6 months for. If you've been exposed... maybe next tooth.

Man, I just want to study with all of my teeth.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Lol, here lies Booger. He had no Covid until he went back to class, he has a nice tooth.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
There is an ELS discharge which is entry level. Basically not part of the normal five, which sounds appropriate for this dude's scenario.

Also, it's the military, so there is no way anyone involved did this poo poo correctly. Just omit your military service. If it did not enhance your resume, highlight experiences that did.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Yep. Went in for my yearly checkup and scored a flu shot and a shingles shot. Thanks VA.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

life is killing me posted:

They do shingles shots? Shingles can gently caress right off, I need that shot

Yeah I was surprised they offered it out of the blue. The nurse thought it was funny I was so enthusiastic about free shots.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

GoGoGadget posted:

I guess my main concern is if I have to go to an ER. The VA here is a clinic with no ER, so I don't know if it'd be worth getting health insurance via work for that.

The VA gives you 72 hours to notify them of a non VA ER visit and will cover it based on your eligibility.

Some eligibility info plus the contact info for reporting

https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/veterans/emergency_care.asp

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I picked my DV plate up because my college charges close to $600 for a parking pass each year. DV plate makes parking free. Also, the closer parking saved me a mile per day on these rickety knees and back.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Yes. Sworn statements from folks present at the time of event is big. Also, pre-service diagnoses compared with now diagnoses is significant.

VA has really challenged me, but the treatment is free so I complain quietly.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Wrr posted:

I've got a disability question for y'all:

So here are the circumstances: I'm 80% disabled, living overseas as a GS, and getting my health care from a base hospital. I am seeing an off-base hospital for a service connected disability and FINALLY got a Rx for a drug I've been wanting to treat it. The doc is holding off on writing the actual medical necessity paperwork / giving me the Rx until we figure out how to get the VA to pay for it is since the drug will cost $1,000 every two weeks.

Also, that individual hospital visit got me $800 out of pocket. The on-base hospital charges me up front and then I have to take the bill and beg my health insurance for money. How does it work with the VA?

How do I get the VA to acknowledge this hospital visit and new Rx so that they cover it? I've been on the phone with the VA's disability line for an hour now waiting to talk to someone but I figure people here will know more. The VA website isn't great since it does that government website thing of saying "You can do X Y and Z!", and the only telling you what the benefits are and not how to actually do them.

I don't know if it will apply appropriately, but the VA has the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for service-connected folks living abroad. You might want to see if fits your situation.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I went to give advice and remembered I retired and got my rating over a decade ago and there is 0% chance my experience is useful.

I’m trying to think of what GiP folks we’ve had transition out in the last year and all I keep coming back to is Elviscat.

Similar. I am '06 and want to help folks but I realize things change. I spun a Veteran up regarding benefits and college and there were significant errors in my knowledge.

It worked out pretty well but I'm keeping my old mouth shut.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

TheWeedNumber posted:

also everyone who deals with Ch 31 should drop the 20 on this poo poo

https://www.disabledveterans.org/vre-survival-guide

but if you can't spare the 20 i might know someone who knows someone, just saying

What is the 20? I may drop it but I don't know what it is.

Got my undergraduate from C31. Counselor was a chode but I made it. If this is significant, I will add my voice.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

feverish and oversexed posted:

Hey goons, I need some help
I have a VRE counselor, but I don't know if they're right.

I have been using the post 9/11 bill to go to school.I had access to the MGIB but I transferred it over before I got out after ascertaining it was probably the better way for me. I had a MGIB kicker on my enlistment, which paid all throughout my school. I'm at my last semester and will be using VRE for it, as I only have 2 months available of time left and that won't quite cover the end of the school year, and I hope to get my masters as well.

My VRE rep told me that I was going to have to pay back $500 of the kicker every month if I used some new program she was telling me about that would "pay back" my 9/11 bill, so I'm doing something else instead.

My disabilities have made all of this VERY difficult for me to process. I've asked for more clarifications and in the email I just received I got "The repayment of kicker is related to the retro of Post 911 under the VRE program. You can decline the retro of Post 911 benefits under the VRE program."
This means literally nothing to me, I do not understand it. I asked my clinic to have the social worker call me for a phone appointment, and nobody ever called me when they are supposed to.

I'm very frustrated and worried I'm not going to have the right answers before school starts in the fall...
I have a lot of trouble understanding and reading text these days... can anyone help me?
I am looking for the most $$$ while I go to school. It's keeping me from being homeless basically.

I can't answer your question. I know of someone who can. There is a Veterans space on Reddit. One of the mods is SCOVeteran. He was a school certifying official for a college after serving his time. He breathes regulations.

If we goons don't sort this out, post your question there. He is always lurking. He has helped me on many occasions.

I used C31 with P9/11 MHA and your statement reads like you're being given bad advice. I don't know the regs but I like a good fight with the VA. I know two SCOs and a C31 counselor and would be happy to jump into this if it would help.

Booger Presley fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 3, 2023

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

feverish and oversexed posted:

lol I cross-posted to reddit as well and he's responding to me already. Good to know he comes recommended ty.

That dude knows what's up.

I hope you find your answer. I'm still in reserve if needed. I know this is moot with SCO on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I just got married. Do you folks know if there is an expiration date for C35?

I lost C33 due to being old. I would like my spouse to get some learn.