Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

I got the internet going nuts.
There is no VA rating that gets you out, you are entitled to draw VA compensation and be a member of a Guard or Reserve unit. VA disability is based on impact on your future economic ability, so you can compensation for tinnitus, something that doesn't have an impact on your ability to serve. Even issues like PTSD don't mean you are medically unqualified for deployment, as that would likely be a determination made by a military provider during the Pre-Deployment Health Assessment based on the standards of fitness for whatever theater your're going to.

Federal law prohibits you from drawing Compensation and military pay, but since you're guard you only draw military pay for around 48 drill periods + 14 AT days a year, the VA will automatically see this because they do a cross-check with DMDC and will send a letter (probably 4 years late) that informs you of the days they have you drilling and giving you the ability to dispute them if there is an inaccuracy. Keep your drill pay, because you only waive 4 days of compensation for a weekend drill, which is something like 204 dollars, and less than the 300 or so you likely make at drill.

The MEB is a separate process and one that is based on your medical ability to perform you job, I'm not super clear on how it works for guard/reserves but basically the rating you get is whatever limits you from doing your job. I would recommend pursuing this because there are significant benefits in being retired vs. just getting out.

Regarding the impact that drilling has on your condition, there's probably a number of solutions to this and you should talk to the senior enlisted advisor/ medical officer/ commander about being excused or drilling separately or whatever.

Hope I kind of answered your questions, let me know if you have any follow-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU