Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I hope this is the right place to ask, if not please direct me elsewhere.

My grandfather is currently in EoL hospice care after being released yesterday from several isolated months at a VA medical center. The staff was less than forthcoming despite having every waiver short of having PoA filed and I'm attempting to request his medical records but they just aren't responding in any capacity, again. Other than driving across the state and kicking in an administrators door to talk to them personally, are there any options in that regard? Third party advocacy organizations that might be better setup or familiar with the system? My only real experience is volunteering at one near me, and that doesn't exactly get me EMR access like at work.

Additionally, my grandmother really has no idea what she needs to do/can do either for whatever benefits he has or I guess funeral services. I asked one fellow who served with him if he could help with that but he's even older than my grandfather and been out longer. My grandfather was a marine during the korean war period if it matters.

Thank you for any help you can point me towards. I'm going to be on the road most of the day but I'll check in if anyone responds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

MonkeyWash posted:

There should be a Patient's Advocate at the VA hospital. If you call the main line they should be able to direct you. They can assist you in navigating the system. It can formidable for anyone.

Unfortunately the patient advocates and physicians at the medical center completely failed to return phone calls, direct or through the board, after the first month or so he was hospitalized and they weren't allowing outside visitation so I couldn't get in to bother them. It's part of why I was hoping there was something third party with a little more familiarity on what route I can take. Or maybe that's something more umbrella I can call, I don't know.

It was a complete failure of care on every level I can see, and the visitation restrictions didn't stop someone on staff from giving him covid-19 amidst oncology treatments, so I'm not feeling especially charitable anymore.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

White Chocolate posted:

If you’re not feeling charitable, call your local congress critter. I’m sure they will love to hear this.

MonkeyWash posted:

Time to escalate. Contact the military/veteran's liaison at your congressional representative's office. They will have to get a release of information and then they are pretty quick.

I appreciate the advice. I can't say I particularly like mcconnell but he tends to get application of power and his office has shoved through stuff for people I've known before. I pulled the information together and I'll talk with my grandmother about it once cremation arrangements are done.