Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I will be doing my final retirement physical next week. Once it is complete, I will be off to file a disability claim with the VA. I notice that there are several veteran's service organizations that assist with claims. I have tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and am certain I will have both a DOD and VA disability rating, which makes me think I am eligible to use DAV, VFW, American Legion or whatever else.

I am leaning towards the DAV since the local dude came to the retirement seminar and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. However, I want to make sure that there is no benefit to using another VSO that I am not tracking. Also, any general advice on how to prepare for this is welcomed. I am in completely uncharted territory but I suspect I have enough things seriously broken that I am looking at a high percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to go with the DAV since they look like they know what they are doing. I appreciate everyone's input. Here's to hoping this goes relatively smoothly.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm on ebenefits trying to apply for a DAV representative... but there are literally dozens choices them at my local DAV. All same address but with different phone numbers.

Which one do I pick?

COVID messed up in person stuff a lot. Here in San Diego, I just called their branch number and a woman there took a bunch of info from me and assigned me a case worker on Camp Pendleton. He called me the next day and I started the process of sending all my medical records over to him.

Were I in your shoes, I'd just call one of the numbers listed and explain that you have no idea how this works but want to use their services.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cubivore posted:

Hi goons, I'm a lot closer to getting out so I'd like to ask some advice:

I'm looking to go to school once I'm out, for computer science or software engineering probably. But I did pretty badly in high school, like, my GPA was a 2.6, 2.7. Something like that.

Should I try to go to a community college first or will that be fine getting me into a school? I'm not trying to go to the Ivies here, but I don't know much anything about higher education.

I got a degree in Software Development, retired, and now work as a software project manager. This is my first post military job but my impression is that the IT field cares a lot less about the name of the college you went to than some other fields. Half of our developers don't even have college degrees. Were I in your shoes, I'd be looking at public schools in whatever state I wanted to move to. I am a strong believer in community colleges but most of the incentive for them is gone when someone else is footing your college bill.

-edit- The edit button is not quote. Sorry about that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BULLETKISS posted:

I'll be retiring from the Air Force in a few months. Anyone have any hints? I don't know why medical and all the ins and outs are a drat mystery. It's like no one has ever retired before. I'm not really surprised, it's just frustrating. And COVID makes it difficult to actually talk to someone about these things.

Any advice as far as how TRICARE vs VA works and Dental/Vision stuff?

I just retired from the Marine Corps in January. I can give you pointers if you like. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

life is killing me posted:

I might also check with my county. Apparently there is a DAV in my city in North Texas, but on their website I searched for location near me and it came up with Waco, which I’m sure it isn’t coincidence that the closest VA Regional Office to me is down in Waco too.

In y’all’s experience, would a series of surgeries while I was in the military be an eligible condition (scar tissue and still have pain like more than thirteen years later)? It’s connected to my time in the military and all surgeries were done by a regional medical center except for one on the local economy, but it isn’t necessarily something the military itself caused unless I can say it was from sitting in five tons a lot. I also went for my back while in, got x rays done and nothing ever really came as far as a diagnosis but my back hurts a ton and my last year in I couldn’t even run because it hurt so much. All I got for it was maybe possibly I had a compressed disc in my lower back. And tinnitus from being around helicopters every single goddamn day.

I'd say that's a pretty good case for service connection. Worst thing it'll cost you is a little bit of your time to talk with the rep at the DAV.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

I finally made it to retirement.

Sitting here on terminal leave trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my life while I farm CoD skins.

I decided that the post 9/11 GI Bill is the way to go to supplement the ol' pension I'll be getting, but I'm confused about the best option. From what I can gather you get E5 with dependent rate BAH each month, based on the zip code of the school you enroll in. Normally you would want to move to an expensive area so you can get the most money, but that isn't exactly an option for me at this time.

I believe that Illinois, where I enlisted, has a program where I get free state school, so I could move back home (live in my dad's furnished and finished basement, at the age of 38 with an 11 year old(I could be a discord mod!)) and perhaps double dip GI bill? I'd like to stay in Texas because I'm already here, and a move wouldn't be 22 hours away.

Is it accurate that if I enroll in a 100% online degree program, do I only get 50% of the national BAH rate, which would be something like $900? Would it be best financially for me to move to IL and go to school in residence, if schools are even doing that yet? $900 a month isn't much of anything to live on.

Congrats on making it. I retired in January so I know the feeling of elation.

One thing to note is that if you use the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, it gets paid directly to the school. So you can't double dip using it in states like Texas where some (all?) veterans get in state tuition covered. If you still have the Montgomery G.I. Bill, you CAN double dip since it's paid to you instead. However, then you lose out of the BAH and yearly book stipend.

Whichever path you take, also don't forget to fill to the FASFA form and get some PELL Grants too. I went to school the last few years before I retired and got paid 8 or 10k after my tuition assistance and PELL Grants kicked it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

UMGC (formerly university of maryland university campus) has a bachelors in human resources management, which is closely aligned with what I did in the AF, so I'd like to stay with them as I've already taken classes with that school. Other than that, I guess I can use a VA loan to buy a house in TX (just not near Laughlin) and sign up.

I submitted my VA claim in Feb, six months before my discharge date so I can get bennies on date of discharge, or a BDD claim. Should be ready by 1 Aug when I'm done.

Also, on this, let me save you the heartache and headache I had. You won't know anything about your rating until a few days after you officially retire. It doesn't matter that they are sitting on the decision for months. No one will update anything until you cross the discharge threshold. Also, you won't get a disability check the first month you think you should since you won't get a decision until the 2nd or 3rd of the month before. It'll kick in the following month.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

I must be misunderstanding, are you saying that the post 9/11 GI Bill pays the tuition to the school, but it also gives me the E5 with dependent rate stipend, correct?

Yeah the Montgomery G.I. Bill paid the student. Like you'd send in documents showing you were enrolled in school and you'd get cut a check for whatever the G.I. Bill rate was. That meant that if you had state benefits to cover your cost of school, you could just collect the G.I. Bill as income. BUT it didn't give you BAH or a book stipend.

The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill changed this and went to paying the school directly. That means if you have state benefits that pay for school, the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill will still pay you BAH while you are actively taking classes (Not summer or winter break) and pay your book stipend but this reduces the benefit the same way it would if classes were paid for by the G.I. Bill too. So if you have state benefits and plan on using the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, it might be worth looking into whether you can afford to miss out on BAH while you use your state benefits and then dip into the G.I. Bill.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

What is the point in going to school and wasting time chasing a 4-year degree when I'm 38? I'll be 42 by the time I graduate, more than twice the age of the average 20-something entering the workforce already with a degree. If my experience is already worth less than nothing at the age of 38, it's going to be worth only slightly less once I get a degree.

I just retired at 39 and entered into a completely different field than what I worked in the mil. Specifically because of the degree I just got in Computer Science.

You’ve got at least another 20 years before you will be getting close the age most folks look at retiring at. Might as well work in a field you hate a bit less and a degree will help you do that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding the post 9/11 GI Bill and online school.

Am I right in saying that you only get about $900 a month if you're fully enrolled online, vs. getting potentially a few grand a month if you go to a physical school in a higher cost of living area?

Yes

If you go to online school and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill your BAH is calculated at the average BAH rate across the US.

If you have at least one physical class at a college (and then do the others through the same school online), your BAH is calculated using the zip code for that institution instead of the average.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

That's stupid. VA acting like we're don't need money to live just because we attend online. I am not near any college of any kind to attend physically, and so I'd have to spend money to move near one.

How stupid

I think the stance there is that if there are no major universities near you, it’s likely you are in an area with a lower than average cost of living.

What is the BAH rate of your zip code compared to what you’d get from going online?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Thing is I don't want to stay here. If I can't find a job in the foreseeable future, and if I can't pass this aPHR exam, the idea is just to get my retirement pension and go to school in the Marietta, GA area.

Where I am now, E6 with dependents is 1,518. Marietta is 2,385. To me, it would make more sense to just enroll in school around Marietta, get my pension and buy a modest house.

Does that make any sense?

The BAH you get from the Post 9/11 GI Bill is based off of the E-5 with dependents rate.

Seems like it’d most likely make sense to go to school where you’d like to move and make sure you have at least one in person class from that college.

Otherwise assuming you have some sort of service connected disability, you may look at Vocational Rehabilitation through the VA. You wouldn’t get the BAH using that though, which I assume plays into your income plans.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

What is it like using a VA loan to buy a house? I've never bought a house before, or moved on my own, and so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to these things. Overall, is it pretty straight forward and not complicated, or is it rife with scams and unnecessarily difficult hurdles?

Closing takes longer than with a conventional loan sometimes because the VA does an inspection of the property. With how hot the housing market right now that may play into your choice of how to finance.

Of course the main benefit is not needing Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) if you do 100% finance through the VA Loan. However, you should also be aware that a disability rating could make your VA loan origination fees (like 3 or 4K) be waived.

I’d recommend finding a realtor you trust in the area you are looking to move. They will have contacts with mortgage brokers who are familiar with the VA loan process.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the idea being that it's lovely to gatekeep reasons others get bennies?

Directing our anger at the source of our problems rather than the perceived unfairness of someone more similar to us than different getting a disability rating is a much better use of energy.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Dummy Question: I should already know this, and I believe I'm reading correctly.

I retired as an E6 at 20 years. High 3 retirement. This is 2.5% times number of years in service, and the highest average basic pay for the last 3 years of service.

E6 basic pay is 4,297.20 a month, divided by 2, is 2,148.60 a month.

I should receive 2,148 a month for my pension, correct?

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Calculators/High-3-Calculator/

I have an app on my phone that I used when I was transitioning to try to get a ballpark of what my retired pay and disability would come to. When I plugged in E-6 with 20 years retiring May 1st 2021 it gives me 2036 a month.

If you really want to calculate it on your own, you need to pull base pay for the previous 3 years for an E-6 with 2021 and 2020 base pay being calculated as an E-6 over 18 years of service and 2019 being calculated at an E-6 over 16 years of service.

Otherwise I’d say you are pretty close to your before taxes pay.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah the app was :10bux: on IOS so save your money.

20 year E-6 $2037
80% disability $1773
Income tax $227
Total Income $3583

That might not be perfect but it came out within a hundred bucks or so for me when I did the same thing.

This is before Tricare or VGLI.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Never mind I'm dumb.

Looks like I'll be getting about 2,083 a month from pension alone, plus the 1,777 from VA, for 3,860 a month in combined bennies.

If I can find a place to go to school, I could add potentially 2200 to that in post 9/11 bill money. I don't think I'd have to work tbh.

Just remember that you’d be short BAH during the months of the year that you aren’t in school.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Got a tentative job offer for a GS 7 position! :woop: :woop:

Awesome news. Good Luck!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I did my c&p exam back in December and they gave me 10% for asthma because I had to use an inhaler for a year after my 2011 deployment. Lungs feel fine now but there is always a lingering fear of cancer developing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

DAV. Call the local DAV office and ask for representation. They'll walk you through.

There's also VFW and American Legion, but the DAV is about the best you're going to find.

Yeah DAV did me a loving solid and nagged me until I scheduled a follow up c&p exam to cover things missed in the first. I was so happy with how much they helped me I spent the 300 bucks to become a lifetime member of their organization.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 18, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cubivore posted:

Hey goons, when I called into the local DAV office I was just given the 1800 number for benefits questions. Is there a different avenue I can pursue or is that right?

I called a local number and left a message. Then a old dude who told me he was barely computer literate but had been helping people fill out claims forms for 25 years called me back and asked me to email him all of my medical records.

We went back and forth a couple times and he sent a list of what claims I should make and how to phrase things.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

For some reason, the DoD rated me 90% disabled, and the VA rated me 100% P&T.

How many individual ratings do you have?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Eason the Fifth posted:

Looking at buying a house. It seems like the VA loan (no PMI, no down payment but we're doing one anyway, a 2.2% interest rate) is ...almost universally better than a conventional loan? After years of GI Bill overpayments and missed payments, I can't believe that anything VA-related could actually be good? What am I missing?

It takes longer to close using a VA loan. There is also a contingency that has to be present in the sales contract that gives you the option to back out of the sale if the VA appraisal comes back lower than what the loan you are seeking is.

With how hot the housing market was over the summer, some sellers didn’t want to wait the time it took to work through the process.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I should also mention that we are set to close on our house Oct 28th and I am using a VA loan through Navy Fed. Talking with my realtor, we offered asking price on the house to make up for the increased hassle on the sellers end with me going the VA loan route. The savings difference with no PMI and having a disability rating (no origination fees) more than made up the ~20k difference in what I was going to offer and the asking price.

Navy Fed has been pretty good about harassing the right people to keep us moving through the process on schedule and right now things are on track for us to close on time.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Seconded. My experience with the DAV wasn’t one where anyone working there wasted platitudes about my twenty years of service. We never had any feel good conversations about anything but they dug through my records and told me what and how to claim things. I did my final physical and came back with a 90% rating.

A month after my separation I got mail from the DAV saying the VA missed things and I should claim more. I went back for a second exam and came out with 100%.

I would have never gone back if they hadn’t told me to and I would never have thought to claim all the things they found in my records. Use them and if you feel like they helped you, consider spending 300 bucks on a lifetime membership so they can help other vets.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GoGoGadget posted:

I've never used a VSO rep, I was trying to file on my own. I haven't made any changes since getting out in 2015. Guess I'll look into a finding a VSO.

I'm also still not entirely sure what my Tricare/VA health insurance covers. I've been being seen at Ramstein from 2015 until now, and now I'm being seen at a (seemingly really good) VA clinic here in Missouri. Since I was being seen by the military instead of the VA before, I didn't really have to worry about these things. Where could I go to find out exactly what plan I'm under and what all it covers?

Are you retired? Do you pay for TriCare?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Howard Phillips posted:

Hello vet friends here. I've got a C&P exam with VES coming up next month. I submitted 5 different claims and conditions, does VES do a single exam for all five claims? Or will I get referred to other exams from my initial VES appointment?

When I did my c&p exam my hearing test and tbi exams were separate from the head to toe exam that covered everything else. So it was a total of three trips to get everything taken care of.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Howard Phillips posted:

Two exams. One for joint head to toe exam and another for hearing just like you.

I hope I get an answer soon.

I filed my claims in November with an intent to file letter from January. If the decision goes past the original intent to file date, do I still get back payed (since I filed before the intent expired)?

As I understand the process, when you give the VA an Intent to File, it starts a 1 year clock for you get everything together for your claim. Anything awarded from that claim will be back dated to the date you submitted the Intent to File. However it only works for one claim so you can't make a claim and see what you get and then decide to make another claim and get additional backdated benefits.

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/intenttofile.pdf

So, yeah if you submitted an Intent to File in January and submitted your claim in November and are awarded a disability rating your benefits will be backdated to January. How long the VA takes to hand down a decision won't be a factor in it being backdated.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 11, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you have a copy of your medical records you should contact your local VSO (I went through Disabled American Veterans) and send them over to a rep. They will come back with a list of things you should claim. The 18 year lapse between your EAS and filing a claim will make it harder to prove that an issue is service related. However, the only thing you are out is your time and the worst that can happen is you get what you are getting now, which is nothing.

I am at work and on my phone so I can’t check but I am almost certain burn pit claims are presumptive now. Meaning that anyone who was in theater during the burn pit era who makes a claim automatically gets 0% service connection. That might not pay money but it gives you a basis to claim a connection if you get lung issues down the line.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BounceBanana posted:

Thanks. Are you referring to my service specific med records? I don't really have much since. Don't think I've even had a checkup since 05 lol

Yeah if you got out in 2004 you should have a paper copy of all of your medical records. If you give that to the DAV or another VSO; they have people who specialize in identifying claims that should be made to the VA.

Step 1 would be reaching out to one of them and asking if they can help you with a claim. They’ll ask for your military medical records. They will come back with a list of things you should claim. You’ll fill out the claim forms like they tell you to and send them back to the VSO who will in turn file on your behalf.

Things get a bit more complicated if you want to make claims with no medical records to support. Especially since it’s been close to 20 years now but your local VSO would be better suited to walk you through whatever that process would be.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Can I give some tough love and instead say schedule time with a VSO, not to "look into it"?

They'll be 1000 times more familiar than you and can probably drop a notice to file that day which starts your clock and pay day.

Absolutely do this. If you feel a tinge of guilt in your heart about "more worthy" recipients of VA bux, just send money to whatever VSO helped you with your claim. The DAV does lifetime memberships for 300 bucks. I signed up as soon as I got my rating back. That way they can keep doing the same thing for other vets.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You also have a window where hard credit pulls all get grouped into one pull for credit reporting. So if you apply for a loan at Navy Fed and also apply for a loan at USAA or a local lender within 30 days (I think) it’ll count as one credit pull.

That means there is no harm in applying at two or three places and taking whoever offers the best interest rate.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jwang posted:

Just got back from Navy Federal, apparently the time frame for credit pulls for things like home loans and auto loans is 7 days. Guess I better hit up all their competitors and see what's up.

Navy Fed gave that info? Everything I am pulling up online says it’s a 45 day window for mortgages.

https://www.mortgagematchmakers.com/what-is-the-mortgage-credit-check-window

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jwang posted:

Cripes, trying to do Navy Fed's online application and holy hell this is complicated as hell. I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED TOURING A HOUSE TO BUY, WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THESE QUESTIONS?! DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL MY INFO?!

I just did a mortgage through Navy Fed. Their online application was much easier than the other places I applied, specifically because they already knew all of my account balances.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BULLETKISS posted:

OMG...just got my VA rating..100% permanent and total. I'm a bit in shock.

Time to research the bennies in Nevada!!

Great news. If I remember correctly your disability check will run a month behind your retirement check. So if it doesn’t come the first time you get your retirement bucks, it’ll be on the way the next month.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone done a tinnitus / hearing claim? I was in artillery, and while I did use hearing protection, I think I have tinnitus and maybe some hearing loss, though stuff like that is difficult to pinpoint as it's a progressive thing, but I was wondering as to how the process goes and how they diagnose tinnitus.

How long have you been out? Did you make any type of claim when you separated?

https://www.va.gov/disability/how-to-file-claim/

That's the direct link to claims filing instructions from the VA. You'd probably be better served using a veterans organization like the DAV to assist with your claim though.

https://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

Call or message them and tell them what you are trying to do. They have volunteers that file claims all the time and know the system way better than you will.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BUG JUG posted:

I'm having him come talk about commanding the USS Constitution. So...again, maybe?

Yeah if you are inviting them to speak in their capacity as someone who held a military position, just address them as CDR Name.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

They're not military anymore so it's Mr. or Mrs/Ms.

I cannot fathom people call me sergeant anymore.

If my take is too obtuse, ask protocol. They'd know for certain as I'm sure it's codified in some obscure protocol manual regarding this exact topic.

Protocol is a bit different for a Sergeant and a former Commanding Officer. If you are inviting someone to a function because they used to be CO of something, it's appropriate to use their retired grade in the invitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wrr posted:

I've got a disability question for y'all:

So here are the circumstances: I'm 80% disabled, living overseas as a GS, and getting my health care from a base hospital. I am seeing an off-base hospital for a service connected disability and FINALLY got a Rx for a drug I've been wanting to treat it. The doc is holding off on writing the actual medical necessity paperwork / giving me the Rx until we figure out how to get the VA to pay for it is since the drug will cost $1,000 every two weeks.

Also, that individual hospital visit got me $800 out of pocket. The on-base hospital charges me up front and then I have to take the bill and beg my health insurance for money. How does it work with the VA?

How do I get the VA to acknowledge this hospital visit and new Rx so that they cover it? I've been on the phone with the VA's disability line for an hour now waiting to talk to someone but I figure people here will know more. The VA website isn't great since it does that government website thing of saying "You can do X Y and Z!", and the only telling you what the benefits are and not how to actually do them.

Is there a way for the off base doctor to send the RX to the VA? There has to be a way for the doctor in town can share your medical records with the VA so someone can put two and two together and figure out that this is something that should be covered.

I am retired and have TriCare select but also 100% so I have my non VA PCM send my prescriptions to the VA and just have them mailed to my house.