Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

"Chapter 1607, also called REAP, is a bill that is basically phased out completely. It was a halfassed attempt to reward deployed reservists/guardsman before Post 9/11 came out. If you qualify for REAP, you qualify for 60% Post 9/11, which is always better."

This isn't necessarily true depending on what your state offers for benefits and what your BAH rate is. In my case, I receive 100% free tuition through the state which means that portion of Post 9/11 is basically irrelevant. 1607 with the buyup will pay me about $200 more per month, although to use the state benefit you have to also use Post 9/11 if eligible. That said, my state will make up that $200 difference that I lose by not using 1607.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

"#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac. "

Whoa, what? I just bought a new MacBook Pro and this would be fantastic.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I just had my C&P exams (go me for having documented treatment regarding my hosed up ankle in my military medical records that I had completely forgotten about), what else should I expect next? I didn't really expect the process to go this fast as my claim was only submitted in July.

Given that I'm on partial Post 9/11, assuming I get a > 20% rating I imagine that I should apply for Voc Rehab (although I'm in my last year for my BA but want to possibly get a graduate degree). Say I get on Voc Rehab, does that mean I'd receive 100% BAH or continue getting my 60% rate?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Update: My claim went from gathering evidence to preparing for notification in like 12 hours. :ohdear:

This whole process is way faster than I expected.

Update 2: 5 minutes later my claim went to complete, 40% rating. That's way more than I expected. :stare:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think > 30% also qualifies for some special hiring preference and healthcare benefits? Also I guess I should be switching to Voc Rehab from my Post 9/11, unless someone can give me a good reason not to. I'm in the last year of my undergrad and want to finish a Master's in a different (but related field).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

2.5% is pretty good but Chase Ultimate Rewards is hard to beat if you have a Sapphire Preferred/Reserve as you get a 25% bonus when you use their points to buy travel. Between Chase Freedom's rotating 5% categories and my Sapphire Preferred getting 2% on travel/restaurants I'm earning at least $30-$50 a month in points.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

How long does it take usually for an unemployability claim to go through? Had my VA appointments about a month ago, and submitted it back in September (early). I'm not expecting a quick thing, just wanting to know how long I'm gonna be left wondering.

My initial compensation claim took like 3 months from submission to paymonies this summer. Dunno if that relates.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

So, long story short, a dog ate my DD214. Hard to replace?

I did make a digital copy before hand thankfully.

File a copy with your state/county Veterans' Service dept. or whatever. I did with mine and they can make certified copies of it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Any idea on how long it takes to get setup for Voc Rehab? I applied a few weeks ago and start my next semester during the last week of January. I'm currently using a combination of Post 9/11 and state benefits, so ideally I'd like to hopefully get Voc Rehab to cover this semester so I'm not burning other benefits.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'll be fairly close to the 48 month max once I'm done, however using Voc Rehab will let me preserve a bunch of my state level benefits (which are based on credit hours) to throw at additional schooling down the road. Really no downsides here that I can see.

I'm partial Post 9/11 and the VA documentation I read just mentions Post 9/11 eligibles on Voc Rehab getting the regular 9/11 MHA rate (with no mention of partial), so I might see an increase there.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You get 48 months of total benefits under any combination of programs. From my understanding you don't give up Post 9/11 if you get Voc Rehab, but it does count against that 48 month total from my understanding.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Got my VR&E appointment for 24 JAN. :toot:

Hopefully this goes fast so I'm not waiting for money to live off of until it's decided whether I get to use Voc Rehab or keep going on Post 9/11.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's not so bad filing an initial claim these days so long as you have documentation, mine took basically a month.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I should be but I haven't hit my first full month yet. Basically if you have any percentage of Post 9/11 Eligibility you get the full Ch. 33 housing stipend on Voc Rehab.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 16, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

As far as I know the VA will never call you in for a random piss test. And if they set an appointment where you have to pee in a cup, just cancel it and stop smoking for a bit and do it later.

It’s the VA, not the military.

When I asked the doctor about ADHD (I was treated as a child so I was curious about it as an adult) they immediately made me piss in a cup.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I got denied for it but it made no difference on my overall rating so I didn't even bother appealing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yes.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

C&P exam? Just go and be completely honest.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So glad my rating took like 2 months and way higher than I ever expected. Dealing with the appeals process sounds awful.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Figured I'd share this since I didn't know about it until a few months ago: https://www.vettix.org

I've gotten a few events from them so far, and today I just got 4 $100+ tickets to Foo Fighters at Wrigley Field for $20 in processing fees + a donation to the organization.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I did the Ask a Question in the GI Bill and they didn't seem to like dealing with a hypothetical so figured I'd see if anyone here knew (like Vas)

When I enlisted I paid into the MGIB-AD (Active Duty). A few years ago I relinquished that for the post-9/11 and used that for my MS. I am working on an MSW and will exhaust my 36 months by the end of the program. My rate in the reserve has a reenlistment bonus again and was thinking that if I was going to be going out to 20 good years for that, I saw that it made me eligible for the MGIB-SR (Selected Reserve). Is there a maximum amount of month you can receive GI Bill benefits between the different chapters? I realize MGIB-SR is a pittance but figured having something additional isn't bad after I exhaust my post-9/11.

Um try for Voc Rehab?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cool. An extra 15 bucks a month, get me a 30 pack or two of the finest light ice college lager.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I got denied for tinnitus but wound up with a way higher than expected total of 40% from other stuff so I didn't even bother appealing. I guess if I need hearing aids some day I'll cross that bridge with them. :shrug:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 19, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

They said it wasn't supported by medical records and thus undiagnosed/not service connected. I'm certain it'd have been won on appeal but it wouldn't change my total rating so I didn't figure it was worth it.

Yup, spending thousands of hours around generators and listening to probable millions of rounds of automatic weapons fire (lol oops shooting a 240B and forget to put your earpro in) over the course of 6 years didn't do anything negative to hearing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

That's bullshit. I'd fight it on general loving principle.

I mean if it would've been the difference between 40% and 50% rating obviously it'd have been worth it, but the math doesn't work out that way.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It wouldn't really make sense to now unless I had another pending rating that'd push me to the 50% level? :shrug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

Ok, until you go for a hearing aide or something and pay out of pocket because its not service related.

On that subject, 10-40% rated vets might have a copay for non-service connected treatments but it looks to be fairly minimal if I understand the priority categories? Can someone better explain it?

e: https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-431_copay_requirements-at-a-glance_2018.pdf

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Getting this rating literally makes zero difference at the moment however. Due to the math my 40% rating would still be 40%.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AFAIK you might have copays after that 5 years is up depending on what priority category you're in? Are you saying it no longer counts for tax purposes?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What’s that magical percentage for it to count after the five years? VA use some weird rear end algorithms i’m sure?

Yeah it's not exactly clear. My reading is that if you're less than 50% disabled that you might have copays for some non-SC stuff:

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/hbco/hbco_enrollment_eligibility.asp

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/cost/copays.asp

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

As long as you're in Voc Rehab.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:wtf: The VA sent me a letter claiming I received military drill pay while receiving VA compensation in FY17 since whatever system reports military pay status to the VA said I was actively drilling for the whole year of 2017. The only issue with that is I ETSed in February 2017 and received a VA rating backdated to July 2017, so obviously this claim is completely wrong. Anyone dealt with a similar situation? I'm assuming my separation orders should suffice to prove that I wasn't receiving military pay during the period the Army falsely reported to the VA.

Great job, Army incompetence comes back to bite me in the rear end well after I ETS.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I got my initial claim submitted in July and had my decision by the end of September or early October.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I ETSed from the Guard and that commander is long gone, not to mention my old unit is 80 miles away. I sent them a copy of my separation orders, it defies logic to think that I would have performed military duty or been paid by the DoD after that date. That date is prior to when I began receiving VA compensation. If the VA is that stupid I'm just going to punt it to my congresswoman, because gently caress showing up to some unit that doesn't know me and hasn't seen me in 2+ years while also having to waste a day doing it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Only if you're retired or maybe 100% disabled I think.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sweet, the VA denied my appeal to them reducing my compensation because the stupid loving Army erroneously reported that I received pay that never actually happened. gently caress it, writing my congresswoman about it rather than deal with these people.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Most likely basic + AIT.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

drat that sucks. No further legal avenues?

The VA thinks I owe them $700 because the Army said I was still drilling for an entire year after I ETSed and was receiving my tiny VA compensation amount during that reported period. Even though I didn't start receiving VA money until 5-6 months after I ETSed, dunno if it's even worth the effort to fight them on it over that amount.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There is an ANG KC-135 wing here, that'd be pretty cool to fly on for free if I had the benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Go through a VSO. I went to the my state veteran’s office (which has a location inside my local VA regional office) and it was completely painless. Other orgs might be good, I’m sure others can share their experiences.