Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As I recall it's only good for ground school, not flight time unless that flight time is part of an actual college program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you do get some details, mind posting them? I was going to look into this in 6-8 months, but if there's a reasonable program to get a deal sooner that might sway me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Being a veteran should count.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

blue squares posted:

My degree plan

:perfect:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Things to pay attention to are the interest rate (after the introductory period), rewards points/partners, and annual fees (why is this even still a thing?). There are probably others, but that's mostly what I look at.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VA loan: The VA guarantees up to a certain dollar amount, which basically takes the place of the mandatory down payment. If you didn't make use of that entire guaranteed amount (you almost certainly did, because you would have to intentionally do otherwise) you've technically still got some of it available. Basically, you probably can't use your VA loan to buy right now because you're (probably) already using the entire thing. You'll have to sell, refinance, or find some other way to get rid of the loan or convert it to something else to free up your VA benefit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It'll cover certain things like welding programs and stuff like that. Take some kind of woodworking cert course?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I wish I still had that article about the AWACS radar technician talking up how he was a combat veteran and firefighter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Technically...?

He never fought a fire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a little more to it than that, but basically the equipment techs are responsible for locating and dealing with sources of smoke, fumes, or fire. There's a lot of specialized equipment on the lower decks that you don't want untrained personnel loving with. Everyone has a specific task for specific emergency situations. One of the controllers is usually the "runner" carrying oxygen bottles around the jet to give to the techs, pulling breakers as needed, etc (everyone else is usually on system oxygen plugged into their consoles with little mobility). The other controllers and the enlisted surveillance team are refilling empty bottles because when you've got a runner and 2 or 3 firefighters running around they go through O2 bottles FAST. But if there's an open fire on any airplane you're almost certainly hosed unless you can get it taken care of FAST. So in the event of a fire, they'd be VERY important. But it's basically always been caught early enough because smoke and fumes attract attention very quickly.

The guy made a big deal over things that he had nothing directly to do with. It'd be like me, as a controller, taking credit for a successful HIMARS strike because I cleared the loving airspace of military aircraft. This guy turned on the radar and unless it broke, he sat there and read a book or watched movies on his laptop until it was time to power down. If it broke, he replaced a few computer cards until it started working, then went back to his movies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's based on ZIP code, so "usually" means dick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, online is half the national average BAH for E-5 (w/ or w/o dependents, I can't remember). That's probably about $800 for full time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Considering it's already summer semester, yeah fall comes next. Get busy, you're already behind most of the applicants. They've been submitting paperwork for a couple of months already. Cutoff dates should be on the schools' websites.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

*maybe

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Oh, right. I'm assuming you have an honorable discharge and completed a full term of active duty service. Other than that, it's a federal program and you start by applying in your state.

Program is called The Unemployment Compensation for Ex-service members (UCX) and there is a lot of information available with a google search.

Yeah, unemployment eligibility is set by the state. So if you actually used your TSP, or had a Roth IRA, you may not qualify. Depends on how your local laws are written. It's not just a matter of "I'm no longer employed." In Utah, and probably most red states, you're pretty much hosed unless you're completely indigent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Utah seems to have the same basic requirement as other states.

All I'm saying is, YMMV because every state is different. I can personally vouch that just leaving the service and being unemployed is not sufficient in at least one state.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Would you share exactly why you were ineligible, and say which state you were disqualified in? It's a federally mandated program and from what I can tell it is a very basic set of requirements:

Utah. Because I had sufficient savings to be disqualified from any Dept of Workforce Services services besides job hunting assistance. You list the federal requirements, but the states administer the program and can create their own rules.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Don't you think you might be the exception? And how did they screen you, with tax returns?

It doesn't matter if I'm the exception (which I doubt, since I got a really late start on dumping money into those accounts the average GIP poster probably has more saved), I told people to check their local laws because reality is not as simple as three bullets on a .gov website. Explain to me why this is a loving problem.

quote:

With that red state talk you had me wondering if you were pushing a political narrative.

Yeah, that's what I'm known for around here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the gently caress? I didn't retire, I'm not old as balls. I said exactly what I intended to. Local laws may vary.

Here, maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMsAgHy_IY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You...didn't make a copy of one of the most important documents you have before handing it to the goddamned VA? One of the most incompetent organizations on the planet?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Also seems like a HIPAA concern.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

Backchannels are the way to go because regular channels are always broken.

Literally how I do my job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When I had to get my medical records from the Tinker AFB clinic, I was told that by regulation they had 30 days to process it. I had an appt at the clinic around day 25, so I figured I'd stop by...they responded with "We still have five days to do it." Well, there's a Navy det on that base, too, and those guys get their records after a 2-3 hour turnaround.

So on the AF side, I'd say it works based on how lazy your civilians are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got a manila envelope in 2012.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ace of Baes posted:

Thoughts/experience using the VA home loan? Thinking about using it to buy a house in about 6 to 8 months.

It gets you out of making a down payment, so yeah I thought it was pretty awesome when I used it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't help on figuring out what transfers, there's a good chance the answer is "nothing" or really close to it...but if you're looking at a BS/BA there's no chance in hell you're going to squeeze ~40 credits out of military training to bump you up to sophomore status. If you can't get in until fall I suggest you look into CLEPing out of some of the basics in the meantime. Save yourself time and money. Make sure it's done at a place the school will recognize.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get pregnant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Consummate Professional posted:

This might be an easy question. I'm trying to apply for poor people utility benefits with the state of Colorado (really they offer a weatherization program and my house is old, so why not try to get some stuff for free). They want proof of all non-work income, which would include my post 9/11 GI bill. Is there an actual award letter that states this is how much we give this dude every month? I know where to find all the documentation that says I have x time left, but I can't find any dollar amounts other than my payment history.

Double check that you have to report your GI Bill monies. It usually doesn't count.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Hey so, seeing that I got out and went to college in the same year, my tax returns are all gonna be in one area or am I gonna have to search around everywhere?

:crossarms: Search for what now?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I recommend you talk to your school's ROTC admissions officer. You're getting a degree, you might as well commission as an officer and get paid vs enlisting and picking up cigarette butts from the smoke pit for 2 years until you prove you're less retarded than most of your peers.

VVV That's the interesting option.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 13, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A couple of things to think about :

Joining ROTC ensures that, if you're competitive and likely to actually complete the program and commission, you will get a scholarship for at least the last two years of school. As a general rule, the military does not offer loan repayment programs if you join via OTS/OCS later, although sometimes when they really need people they offer such a program. It's up to the individual service to decide whether to offer it or not. The AF hasn't offered loan repayment in well over a decade, the Navy is probably the same.

OTS/OCS have the lowest selection rate. These programs are used as the "valve" to control the number of new officers each year. The number of new officers who join via the service academies and ROTC are consistent. OTS/OCS selection criteria can be relaxed or tightened to adjust the final number from year to year as needed. But it's ALWAYS the worst odds for actually getting commissioned.

What kind of career field are you looking at, and/or what service?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Where have our smart poster children been from?

The guy HDI and I knew who punched his babby to death is AF.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So, to summarize— it'd be better to go into debt for life than spend three years in the military.

You don't spend three years in, you spend 4-8 depending on your job. If less than 8, you spend the remainder in the IRR subject to callup for when the Annoying Orange pushes the "INVADE CHINA" button.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Walking through any of those strip-mall doors to sign paperwork is effectively an IQ test failure. Some doors are Fs, others are Ds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pell Grants are not offered for grad school. Other grants...sometimes.

Edit: You need to be talking to your department about fellowships and other endowments, too. This is hardly the best era for that stuff, but it's worth a shot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think this is what TAMP is for: http://www.tricare.mil/tamp

Only if you're being involuntarily separated or jumping to guard/reserves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And as he mentioned, CHCBP is absurdly expensive. When I got out in 2012, it would've been over $800 a month for me and my son.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tapout tshirt and silkies.

Actually though, I think looking professional is more important; I'd stick with the pin and maybe mention it if you can do so without being obnoxious. Maybe something like these?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It was the first result for "USMC tie" but there are plenty of others. The people you're trying to convince are probably above sucking vet dick unless it's in a press release, so the sleeveless BDU top isn't going to do poo poo to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

I like the pin idea. If you want to be a shade more obvious a marine vet coffee mug strategically placed somewhere could be a good addition.

Oh, a unit coffee mug is a fantastic idea.