Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So my dad served in vietnam, came back with PTSD, lived on a mountain-top in the woods smoking away his memories, and never signed up/tried to use any benefits outside of basic medical. I've started pushing him to actually look into benefits that he might be able to use.

He's up on the e-benefits site now, and I connected him with the local VA office, but I don't trust him to actually follow-up with the outreach guys there and explore his options. Is there much available to vietnam vets outside of the basic medical?

How does any sort of disability classification work if he's not-so-disabled now but was-severely-then?

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Is there a window for accessing benefits for older veterans? My father was a Vietnam veteran and while he uses the VA, he hasnt pursued a disability rating or anything else because he assumes it's been too long and he missed his window.

He's 73 and I'm thinking about the pension specifically. Does he need a disability rating to access that?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

After spending ~2 years cajoling my father (radio officer vietnam vet, spent years homeless after getting out) into actually speaking with the VA for more than just an annual checkup he's finally got a rating (50%) and is now getting a monthly pension.

Life changing stuff folks

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Hey does anyone have any links about veteran business preferences or loan opporities?

It's kinda scattered all over the place. SBA loans are lower cost (no loan packaging fees) and depending on your business type there are a million different contracting preference programs that mostly only matter if you're doing business with the government. Look up a veteran's business outreach center, they should have more info

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DantetheK9 posted:

I waited 14 years and I'm talking to a Veteran Service Officer next week about getting that process started. How hosed am I?

(I've finally started getting a lot of poo poo done after years of wallowing in untreated depression and PTSD. Some good friends gave me the swift kick in the rear end I needed to get some help)

My dad waited 50 years and got his rating two years ago. Life changing poo poo. You've got one up on him by being proactive about this before you're an old man.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any suggestions for dental care benefits for older vets? I'm trying to help my dad find a plan that's not horseshit and from what I can see it's all garbage.

He's using delta dental's veteran plan and it sounds like it's just been absolute crap. He's 51%+ service-disability, a senior, and low-income qualified for most programs.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I helped my Vietnam vet father get his rating a few years ago (he got 50%, had a lot of issues including PTSD and was homeless for years following the war.).

I'm quite sure my dad undersold and held a lot back in the first pass of the process so I'm thinking of having him resubmit for another rating A friend of mine has a service he's using to resubmit where, but they charge something like 6x the increase they get you as a flat fee (no increase gets them no fee). Anyone ever used something like that vs a free vso org?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Howard Phillips posted:

6x increase for a flat fee? that maybe reasonable depending on the quality and reputation of service.

A friend of mine used a service where the provider charges nothing up front but gets paid 50% of the increase for a set time. He said it was worth it for him because the service walked him through everything and helped get Nexus letters through private providers to establish service connection.

yeah, it sounded reasonable to me as well - especially because I don't always have the bandwidth to do all of the hand holding and research that my dad needs to get anything done.

I'll need to do more research on the service. The person he recommended to me looks like they're out of vaclaimsinsider.com, which...not may not have the greatest reputation.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

disability rating question for folks here. My dad's a vietnam era vet. After getting out he had PTSD so bad he ended up homeless for a decade or so and never even sought a rating. I got one for him 5-6 years back finally with the help of a VSO and VA gave him a 50% (PTSD service-connected, presumptive ALS/parkinsons risk non-service connected).

I've had a friend beating the drum at me telling me that that rating is too low and we should use a rating re-assessment service like vaclaimsinsider for him. I don't know if it worth it though or how to gauge whether he ended up with a way-too-low rating or one that's average/appropriate.

Any advice?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

For VA loans you can, of course, use brokers to find a lender. You can also do some research on your own using the HMDA database to see what institutions in your area are making VA loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sheesh qvc has been trying to book a disability interview with my dad now for 4 months on a a claim that we put in back in April. He wants to do an in-person and apparently he’s like 30 miles outside of their regular range for in-person interview travel reimbursements or something.

Idk, but the state vso is pissed on our behalf and everyone’s bitching at each other.