Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Getting a bunch of random small chunks here and there was par for the course for me

Some branches also gave out college funds/bonuses with your contract that was an extra hundred or two a month maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah that’s like the one slam dunk, you don’t even need actual hearing loss

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be fair he might have gotten 0% for it, which still covers that sort of thing...

right? is that how it works?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

2) I had to travel to New Haven, and I forgot to bring my diet pills (paying out of pocket for a prescription at an external pharmacy). Anyone know if the local VA can spot me a handful of Welbutrins so I don't go into withdrawal? Not sure if that's the kind of thing I can fast-talk them in to by showing them my prescription.

It’s a newer thing they’re doing but some VAs have a walk-in mental health clinic usually m-fri during business hours. At the very least check out the mental health clinic and explain the situation. Worst case scenario the ER if they have one. Docs hate doing it, but they’ll almost always at least spot you a few days/week worth.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What’s that magical percentage for it to count after the five years? VA use some weird rear end algorithms i’m sure?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not an exact situation, but I had a lot of issues with my school and payments that seemed to be on both parties not cooperating

Long story short, school said I owed a bunch of money—which I knew I didn’t—, and I even got money in the end. I believe I had to fill out a form online and send it in (I know, the worst poo poo ever to do)

Long story short, I had to request an audit for the period I was in school. Which believe me, doesn’t make sense, as you’d think it’s ongoing, but it was for them to set someone aside to really crunch all the numbers and cross all the t’s and dot the i’s. Not something you could do with a simple phone call and have someone give it a cursory glance. It was a pain in the dick, but after months of getting dicked around, this was the only way I got it sorted.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don’t have much to offer other than that I was getting a bunch of random GI bill payments then about 4-6 months later had to pay back $3k of overpayments. If you feel it’s an error you can fill out a form and request an audit of your file/account to double check and crunch the numbers.

I think it was also related to the Navy college fund/kicker, which I think most branches have a variation of as a “sign-on bonus.” Pretty much an extra x amount of money on top of GI bill a month while you’re in school, but I think certain parameters make you ineligible. I think I was getting that when I wasn’t supposed to.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Are they involved with the VA mental health system? Some of the bigger hospitals do walk in mental health m-fri during business hours.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Got this in an email from the VA. Felt it was worth sharing?

Link

Comments don’t seem promising lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Rekinom posted:

Actually I just did it for the VA loan funding fee exemption, but the good thing is my kids get free tuition at any UC/CSU, which is a pretty loving good deal. Assuming these dumb babies are smart enough to actually get into one.

What’s the minimum rating for that? That’s purely a state-to-state thing right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya I just seemingly started getting an uptick of those from nowhere

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

One of those things that cannot be posted enough. Always good to have the reminder and have it ready to go when ya have that impromptu trip! Though, as said before, you can do it there at the booths and such.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat I’d love $5k to drop into my account

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Your VA healthcare record kind of integrates with the health app on iOS now. I’m still messing around with it and new to all this, but it seems pretty nifty at least.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I had to drive over two hours for the outsourced examinations for my claims, nothing through the VA. They had a check waiting for me for the mileage for my drive.

Anyway, one doc just wanted to work with veterans and did it once a week there, nice guy. The other doc I saw was really good too. If you do it through the VA I could see people that did that poo poo all day getting very jaded very quick.

My claims went through fast and fine and aside from the drive it was an overall pleasurable experience. Both docs just made small chat while they examined all my ailments. Really nice guys. None of them questioned poo poo, or even challenged anything in the slightest

I feel bad reading the horror stories on here. Using the DAV, EAS to getting paid was about three months

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I had an issue with that trying to get a discount at Home Depot lol 🙄 I got it right when I got out, when I applied for it, so I wasn’t rated yet. Apparently I was supposed to get an updated one in the mail but y’know. Need to get another next time I’m by the VA.

Just an FYI to anyone in my situation to get an updated card at the VA when you get a chance

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Honestly I never found those good deals on base everyone talked about. They just seemed to raise prices to make up for the difference of taxes etc. Even booze

I mean, maybe a new video game at $60 or some apple product to negate taxes?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

haha I’d love for someone to run up to me while pumping gas about my shave

I mean to be fair I didn’t think it was something people got mad about unless they personally knew you

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh my god people would absolutely lose it. You wouldn’t make it from the parking spots

I’d be the one in a flight suit yelling at you for wearing pajamas

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ugh not looking forward to the five year review & all that mess

“Yep still broken”

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

y’all cursed me

Got a call yesterday to get everything in order to call me again later to schedule the appointments for my five year post-EAS exam. They said because of corona they are authorizing tele-health exams, and I’d need a camera.

I wasn’t 100% clear but it sounded like I had the option to do a phone exam, then a physical exam, or consent to them both on phone (guessing privacy issues like showing my butthole to the camera)

Last time I had to drive 2.5 hours one way, so I’ll take not having to leave the house. They said it could be upwards of 100 miles if I went in person

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My tele-health appointment is today, I’ll let y’all know how it goes, or slide into my DMs I guess.

vulturesrow posted:

So, I had no idea 5 year review was a thing...

Me neither. Above post summed it up mostly.

vulturesrow posted:

So is it possible to increase your rating out of this? I realized belatedly that they gave me 0% for a well documented mental health issue that definitely has been more problematic since I got out. But I haven't really followed up with a doc yet.

I was going to ask about something like this, I’ll let you know what they say. Pretty sure I’d have to go the traditional route—probably make a DAV appointment for that. It’s not on my rating at all though. I have a paper history from the military, and diagnosis from the VA. Should be a slam dunk.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Update:

Went well. Doc was cool. Didn’t really care much about physical ailments, I just highlighted what I had and that they were still there. Not sure that would have swayed anything either way—wasn’t completely relevant. Mostly focused around depression/anxiety/suicidal ideation, and where I’ve been with it; what it looks/feels like, and where I’m at now. We couldn’t get the camera to work, but the doc was fine with it.

I did mention sleep apnea, which he wrote down and such, but I’ll have to apply for that through the normal avenues as far as getting it on my rating. So yeah, I don’t think you could add something new to increase your rating through this per-se, but highlighting it for them to write down likely helps your case.

I’ll let y’all know if my rating is affected. If I had to guess I would say no.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 12, 2020

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So, all told, my VA rating went up after my five year evaluation.

gently caress I’m broken

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did you ever receive combat pay in any form? Even a ship in the Persian golf, or Djibouti Africa for example. If so did you apply for the five years of VA benefits?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Could you get into contact with anyone from medical by chance?

One of my buddies had some issues at the VA with no real paper trail. I had to write a letter for him saying I saw and treated him for xy&z. Didn’t hear anything back, might follow up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

Question for those that use the VA as their PCP, has that worked alright for minor issues? I realize, like any medical care, it depends on the facility.

Super regional but I've had an overall OK experience. They've opened a lot more branch clinics which are nice. I can generally get in the same week. Was able to easily get the physical and vaccines I needed for school. Can take a lot time for the more specialized stuff like dermatology--but can't beat free.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah Apple is tied into that now as well

Though I think the student discounts are usually better, and they don’t really check

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Veteran discount is equal to or better than the student discount right now, but the student discount often includes offers like free AirPods that might make it worth it.

Good point

Home Depot does a 10% in case y’all didn’t know. Think it’s retired or service connected but really who cares

T-mobile finally implemented a nice military plan. Think I have 5 lines with unlimited everything for about $130

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I forgot the convoluted math/algorithm they use, iirc you get the flat % for each rating up to a certain amount (50%?), then after that, it’s lowered for some reason?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ok gimme a sec I’m still re-reading it and trying to make sense 😅

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dental poo poo sucksssss. Need to decide if I’ll do insurance, or just pay out of pocket. I did find a local dental hygienist school that did free cleanings

Also, it’s near impossible to qualify for dental coverage through the VA. Pretty extreme parameters iirc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya but VA bad I’d rather pay $300/month for real healthcare!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

VA locally is pretty good imo. Things have gotten a lot better since they started opening up those VA clinics. The VA for sure has issues, but idk, private section ain't exactly great.

also, I'm a poor, so.

I had a job prior to the military, like 10-12 years ago. Even then my employers healthcare option was $200/mo at the lowest, lmao. Even now I wouldn't pay that for "better" care

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What do y’all do for dental? Probably need some work done, don’t think I need anything crazy surgical

Wondering if I should just pay out of pocket, or try insurance

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

If your teeth are hosed or hurting, insurance may not be a bad idea, but be prepared to not be able to use it for a year unless it's an employer plan that's active right away.

Yeah, I figured they had some sort of policy so people didn’t just grab it quickly to cover surgeries.

Ugh, man. I could wait a while, but not sure on a year. I know many spots do a cash discount, and take payments.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I don't care one bit about an education but I would like to mop up the last of those BAH dollars.

COVID aside, there’s a BAH rate for online schooling, and one for in-person.

Generally, COVID aside, as long as you have one in-person class, you get that full BAH. It was worthwhile enough that I thankfully found a hybrid program to finish my undergrad that did one class in-person/week, rest online

Grip it and rip it posted:

I was curious if anyone had any information about the process for the VA to return the MGIB booster I paid back when I was in bootcamp? I have since exhausted all of my eligibility under the post 9/11 GI Bill (I even got a 12 month extension for Voc Rehab) and I was not sure if I'm eligible / have to sign up / update payment information?

Curious as well. My buddy said once he exhausted his post 9/11, they just sent him a check for what he paid into the Montgomery. I can ask him again, don’t remember him saying anything about effort on his end—like a form online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

HS grades really don’t matter if you do junior college. That said, if you test well, and being a veteran, your chances are much better than someone else going straight into a four-year. But, community college is always a good option.

I’d consider both options, but the last post isn’t a bad idea either. GI bill is a bit of a waste on community college—but some folks do need the BAH. You can draw unemployment when you get out for about six months (state depending?)