Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Sat through a state (California) Calvet benefits briefing at work today. I had no idea about stuff like mortgage lending benefits (the state is the lender), business license discounts. I was there for the dependent tuition waiver stuff as I'm finally filing for VA disability 18 years after I got out so my kid can get her bachelor's, master's and phd for zero tuition.

Here's a giant guide of everything for those who live in California.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Documents/Veteran_%20Resource_%20Book.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Dammit, I forgot my appointment today with my county's veterans office to put together my VA disability package. Next available appointment, April. At least the claim notice was filed in August.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Went in to my county VSO to submit my VA claim almost 19 years after I got out. Have to do a few follow up chores, but they submitted my stop claim form last August. Feel stupid that I waited so long.

I'll probably have some follow up questions for GIP once I get the inevitable denial. The VSO said to file for sleep apnea after my initial filing and don't claim any mental stuff since I have an active clearance.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Where are you interviewing? The suit has really gone away even at Wall Street. DC seems to be the lone exception.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

It really depends on the industry and area. I interviewed at Apple and MS HQs 4 years ago. My 2 friends who work at Apple told me to not wear a suit as it would show that I wouldn't be a good culture fit. Lo and behold I'm being interviewed by employees in jeans and tshirts.

Worst case you can wear a suit and ditch the tie if needed. If it's a govvie contracting gig, then a suit is safe.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Sarah posted:

10%.

It’s not a state to state thing.

Zero percent for California. It's also all the way through PhD. Tuition is waived, no other fees are. I believe it doesn't cover law, dental and med school as it doesn't apply to "self supported" programs.

"​You must be the dependent of an eligible disabled veteran with a service connected disability rating of 0% or higher."

That's why I'm going through it 18+ years after I got out. Hooray for a scarred, sliced ring finger and tinnitus!

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 8, 2019

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

It's all good. I see where our wires were crossed. :hfive:

People poo poo on California all the time, but free college for your kid...man that's something.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

California has a lot of veterans benefits all nicely consolidated in one book.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Documents/Veteran_%20Resource_%20Book.pdf

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 10, 2019

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I'm trying to figure out how to get access. I'm at 40%, but not registered for VA health. Should I try to get a health care card or is there another way?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Also, get rated. Don't wait 18 years like I did.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm all about telling people to start their retirement savings as soon as they turn 18.

Guess I need to combine it with make copies of all medical records, get every single ache documented before you get out and make an appointment with a VSO for the week you're discharged. I left $150k-ish on the table because "I'll get to it one day."

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Your county vet affairs office may also provide VA filing and health insurance benefits counseling as well. They may be overburdened, so call or email today to set something up. Not tomorrow, not next week, not when the "corona is over".

Don't be like me and wait 18 years before filing. I lost out on probably $150(ish)k in payments.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I went to my county's vet office 18 years after I got out. They filed everything if that's an option too.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

25% off for life for Sirius subscription.

https://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Sa...avy&desktop=yes

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I had good success with my county's VSO, but I didn't have a complicated claim.

Whoever you go with, make an appointment now as there can be a significant wait. Your first action with any VSO will be assigning them as a rep and filing notice for claim. The VSO will submit both to the VA which will start your clock for back pay.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2020

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Also, echoing complain about every single thing that is wrong about your body and mind. Sleep apnea, tinnitus, etc.

I didn't mention knees because I was going through a Fed civilian hiring physical and didn't want to get denied for a job. Guess whose knees were denied because there was nothing in his record.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Don't be me and wait to file for VA 18 years after you get out.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Get with a VSO or the county vets office to file the paperwork of intent to file now. They'll date it for your discharge date. Your benefits will then get paid retro to that date.

I filed with my county's vet office and it went pretty good considering my time delay.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I think P Hekk has more to offer, but I wish I had documented every single thing wrong with my body on my separation physical. I was applying for my USG job at the time and stupidly thought they'd hold that against me in my hiring. Fast forward and I can't claim knee stuff from standing watches on hard decks for years because it wasn't documented. Claim snoring, sleep issues, everything you have problems or think may become an issue.

My VSO suggested I put in for PTSD once I'm out of a clearance holding job since I cant ever sit with my back to the door, but that's a line I'm not crossing given my war free service.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Godholio posted:

The separation physical is not a physical. It's a medical interview to review your history. Tell them about everything wrong over your entire career.

Wrong with your body. It would be ten times as long if you had to go over everything wrong.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Your county may have a VSO in their government too.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

Got a tentative job offer for a GS 7 position! :woop: :woop:

What do you top out at?

Also, max that TSP and pay for that military time as soon as you can. "I'll pay it off eventually" often turns into "oops, with interest, it's too much money".

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Well, now you have contribution match. I think they also default to the f fund at 1% for new hires. Make sure that's one of the first things you change so you don't miss out on government matching contributions.

E:. I may have the fund name wrong, IIRC it's the government bond fund.

E2:. Also make sure they entered your SCD correct. It should be the day you start plus time served in military. So if you had 4 years and start Jan 1 2021, your SCD would be Jan 1 2017. You'll accrue leave faster that way.

E2:. Laugh, I just got told my boss has my 30 year pin in his office. :negative:

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 11, 2021

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

That's another box to check on your sf50 which is kinda your employee record and you get one each time something changes like a raise or transfer. Ensure that you have the 30% or more disabled -10 point veteran showing. You get picked last if there are any forced reductions over non and 5 point veterans.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ok. Let me give you a little bit of tough love (and I truly do mean that this is coming from love). I have 3 decades of USG service.

When I and another goon who's in USG HR says it all matters, it matters. Mistakes in how you're classified can have far reaching implications. Don't assume that paperwork you uploaded to USAJOBS made it to HR for your employment record. That same incompetence we all came across in the military is alive and well in the civvie side.

Things like this are a bastard to fix in a short amount of time. Why is this important? Because when you resign, transfer, going for a promotion, accruing leave, retire or are in trouble is when you discover you were misclassified. And because this all takes time to fix, that adds to whatever stress of whatever you're going through. Review your sf50 and have then explain each section and what it means. It's as important as checking your final dd214, except you'll probably get at least 2 of these sf50s a year.

Hell, if you want to post your PII redacted sf50 in here, we'll give our $0.02.

All we're asking is that you ensure that you are classified properly. When you get your sf50 for the first time, go over it block by block with someone in HR to ensure its correct. Same thing with your first paystub.

I would absolutely bring your dd214 and VA letter with you on your first day with HR.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 13, 2021

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I had my county VSO submit for me and got 40% 18 years after I got out. 10 for tinnitus. File today, don't wait like I did.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

rifles posted:

Anyone have any good VSO contacts in Ohio? I helped my dad file, we did it ourselves because he didn't have any luck with any VSO and he's up to 80%. The DAV gave him a rep, got power of attorney, and then promptly ghosted him; no contact on his rep, and the Cleveland number he was given was for a phone that was never answered with the voicemail box full. He's contacted the county office and they were similarly useless, told they'd get back in contact with him, then never followed up and don't have any record of him or know his name when he calls etc. The VA didn't give him anything for most of his major issues (back problems, chronic pain syndrome, long-term opiate dependency).

Some states have a VSO. I used my county VSO to file and they were great, sorry about his.

E:. https://www.va.gov/vso/

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 4, 2021

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I filed 18 years after I got out. Reach out to a VSO today. Don't keep putting it off because you're giving away tax free money like I did.

I used my county's Vet Service Office and many others used DAV. Get that ball rolling.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I've posted before about what motivated me to finally file, but I'll post again. I don't have a gi bill for my kid (academies didn't at the time I attended). Fast forward to 2018 and I want to get veteran on my DL (because I knew I needed a dryer from Lowe's) which requires a county VSO to sign a DMV form.

While I was there, the guy asks me if I've filed. I replied no, and he tell me of CA's waiver of public college tuition for your kid until age 26 if you're zero percent or more. My jaw dropped and I filed the intent to file right there.

Thought I might get zero or ten and ended up getting forty for tinnitus and a sometime painful scar from when I was doing some poo poo as a plebe in a drop ceiling during army navy week when an upperclassman decided to stab a knife through the tiles at us.

He didn't stab me, but the support wires cut a nerve in my right ring finger, so thanks Tom Scheer for 30 percent of my 40 rating I guess.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

BounceBanana posted:

That's encouraging to know someone was in my spot and still went through with it after a long time. I gotta schedule in some time and mental energy for myself to look into it. Thanks.

Can I give some tough love and instead say schedule time with a VSO, not to "look into it"?

They'll be 1000 times more familiar than you and can probably drop a notice to file that day which starts your clock and pay day.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Veterans service office. Disabled American veterans DAV is a big one.

A lot of local governments also have VSOs who can help as well for free.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

BounceBanana posted:

Thanks everyone. Though I'm not exactly sure what a vso is (Victoria's secret online..) I used the search tool linked in op which gave a
names and numbers of a few people locally. If I can get a nap in at work tonight I'll see about contacting one of them tomorrow.

Need update. We're pushing you out of love here.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Resubmit but have a VSO help you. I think they'll just retest hearing if you petition.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Check into disabled plates, usually they're free or reduced and you don't pay for on street parking either.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Why are you holding it down with a big toe?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

If you don't retire from the mil, you can buy all your time back for retirement. It counts immediately for leave accrual whether or not you pay your time back.

You just can't do both a mil retirement and also have it count for civilian retirement.

DHS sec just gave us another 8 hours admin leave today too.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

My agency does the longest allowed probation periods of 3 years 120 days. We usually celebrate 3 121 in some fashion.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I think the VSOs are usually the best bet to ask. We all have mostly dealt with our own claims, so our experience is usually zero or one claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I just signed up for a free year of LinkedIn premium. Hope it helps someone. https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/a518653/linkedin-for-veterans-free-premium-career-subscription-and-eligibility?lang=en