Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ThornBrain posted:

Sonic Adventure DX

The second half of Gamma's story is all familicide.

Next week is the final part of the LP!

I hope that entails Chao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

ThornBrain posted:

Sonic Adventure DX

The second half of Gamma's story is all familicide.

Next week is the final part of the LP!

and then you're done playing sonic games? i already s-ranked sonic 06, i can't go s-ranking every sonic game with a ranking system just because i'm reminded that other people don't have the required painful compulsion to get the best letters

maybe you can play sonic 4, that one doesn't give you letter grades right?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

It's Castlevania again! Sort of.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Deadfall Adventures Part 8: Mayan Tombs

I like this levels combat gimmicks with how the photosensitive zombies are used.

BTW Whats everyone's opinion on this game? I've been really enjoying it and I'm curious on everyone else's thoughts.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Party Bug posted:

It's Castlevania again! Sort of.

Can't wait for the next shitshow!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GamesAreSupernice posted:

and then you're done playing sonic games? i already s-ranked sonic 06, i can't go s-ranking every sonic game with a ranking system just because i'm reminded that other people don't have the required painful compulsion to get the best letters

maybe you can play sonic 4, that one doesn't give you letter grades right?

Play Sonic Colors my dude

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

bony tony posted:

Play Sonic Colors my dude

I don't think I've met enough people that dislike Sonic Colors to justify that, yet

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure DX

Super Sonic's Story

Hooray, nearly every single person is dead!

That's a wrap for now. Sonic Adventure 2 will start on March 11th.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 will start on March 11th.

son of a bitch

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the next Deadfall video, I'm having trouble recording the fight at the end of the next level, so i'll probably drop the combat difficulty to easy. I'm dying a bunch on normal and easy may be less annoying, and the one time I won I got stuck on geometry and had to reload, so dropping the difficulty will stop me getting frustrated.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Deadfall Adventures Part 8: Mayan Tombs

I like this levels combat gimmicks with how the photosensitive zombies are used.

BTW Whats everyone's opinion on this game? I've been really enjoying it and I'm curious on everyone else's thoughts.

I think its a game that had passion behind it but not enough expertise or money to pull off what that passion actually wanted. From the outside there doesn't really seem to be anything wrong with it but nothing really pops like it feels like it should.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I think its a game that had passion behind it but not enough expertise or money to pull off what that passion actually wanted. From the outside there doesn't really seem to be anything wrong with it but nothing really pops like it feels like it should.

There is one major thing actively wrong with it - the pivoting mirror fights like the one in the last posted level where you are reflecting sunlight on the mummies. The problem with the mirrors is that sometimes you can get physically stuck in them and be unable to get out, meaning that you have to restart from the checkpoint before the fight. It's really annoying and the reason I didn't finish the level I just recorded yet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Deadfall Adventures Part 9: Mayan City

We get through an interesting level with a frustrating final encounter.

I like how this level looks and some of the treasures are fairly atmospheric. Also the new enemy type is cool.

I wasn't able to change difficulty mid-game btw so I'm still on normal for that last fight. It just took a lot of tries.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

I guess they were right about Simon's Quest. These get better(?), but this one is just the authentic Castlevania 2 experience.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play "RICO"

RICO is a non-traditional FPS roguelike featuring cops, murder, and cop-murder. In its purest form, it's a game about kicking down doors and shooting men, which the game will gladly remind you of at every given opportunity. It's a simple, addictive time-waster with a surprisingly high difficulty and just enough suspense to make repeat playthroughs worthwhile. So ladies and gentlemen, welcome to RICO.

Videos

1. Office

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The sequel to the popular-but-awkward Sonic Adventure is considered by many fans to be one of the franchise's high points, if not the best in the franchise. Its port to GameCube, SA2: Battle was many young gamers' introduction to Sonic. All of this marks SA2 as one of nostalgia's best friends, because it's actually not very good.
These days a counter-reaction has built that instead says the game is a load of crap, but having LPed Sonic 06 first, I would argue that's not true either. Most things aren't one extreme over the other.

Sonic Adventure 2 saw several leaps forward for the hedgehog: a more focused and mature narrative, actual motion capture for cutscenes, a playable Eggman in a mainline game, Sonic's own evil-ish doppelganger in Shadow the Hedgehog, wrong-headed sex appeal with Rouge the Bat, and a brand deal with the now-defunct Soap shoes. However it still controls awkwardly, it's still voiced silly, the motion capture makes it even goofier, and it continues Sonic Adventure's penchant for making you play other characters, but goes the extra mile to make the speedy characters the grand minority in played stages compared to the far-less enjoyable other characters.
Knuckles' and Rouge's stages, though they would have been fun to control in a different stage type, are obnoxious treasure hunting stages in way-too-large levels with the radar needlessly constricted to one object at a time. Tails and Eggman, somewhat inexplicably, take on E102 Gamma's play style from the first Adventure to generally frustrating effect. Sonic and Shadow manage to carry on the tradition of fun, speedy gameplay, but they have far fewer stages than the others, and even they drag by the halfway point. All of this makes sense when you learn that originally Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman were going to be the only playable characters.
SA2 is its own kind of awkward mess. Potential highs turn to lows, and whatever speed you gain turns into a slog. Ultimately you're left with a thoroughly middling game that just has great word-of-mouth. Guess it's a Sonic game.

This is a straightforward, casual playthrough of SA2 streamed on YouTube and supported by my Patreon patrons. Returning from my previous livestreamed Sonic LPs are my co-commentators Mugiwara Yoshi and Jiggly Jacob, who have their own respective histories with the game. And yes, I was one of the kids who became huge Sonic fans because of this game. We all have our pasts.
I would argue Shadow was cool, damnit. For only this one game, though.

Hero Story

Dark Story

Final Story

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 27, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Are you going to LP Shadow the Hedgehog after this?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

This is a straightforward, casual playthrough

have you considered like, trying to separate yourself from the mass of other casual playthroughs by being super informative and doing A-Ranks instead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

have you considered like, trying to separate yourself from the mass of other casual playthroughs by being super informative and doing A-Ranks instead

have you considered like, reading the OP, or failing that the first 3 words in the thread title?

Now I'm just going to watch this one of the mass of casual play throughs.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The ignore function is an underrated part of this site.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bony tony posted:

Where is that drat chaos emerald

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

bony tony posted:

No it's too much/too repetitive to do in a stream, so I've made that a patreon goal further down the line for a proper LP. Of all the ones to give the pro treatment, my dumb rear end had to choose that one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gamesaresupernice of all people giving advice on how to make LPs stand out is rich

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Like, the joke is that I was saying it in the casual LP thread. That's the humor. You see, this is the casual LP thread, so poking fun at someone for making a casual LP is stupid. Get it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Gamesaresupernice of all people giving advice on how to make LPs stand out is rich

This was uncalled for.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Slightly better Castelvaniaing

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Fedule posted:

This was uncalled for.

What's uncalled for is GASN diving down this dark road and lashing out at everyone cause people don't like Mighty Number 9.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Deadfall Adventures Part 10: Mayan Temple

This level is short, but kind of dense and while the final encounter can be annoying I like the idea behind it. Only one final level to go!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

When drowning is the least of your problems.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Slowing moving toward a complete Dracula.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Deadfall Adventures Part 11: Xiabalba

And we are officially completely finished with Deadfall Adventures! This is a game that I really like despite it's clear flaws because the level design and secret placement show some attempt at being interesting even if a lot of the puzzles are fairly basic. There is some neat environmental design too like that one area with the secrets being coins on the statue's eyes which is thematically appropriate. Also I like the visual of how Xiabalba is sealed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

What Remains of Edith Finch Part 3 - The tales of Odin, Calvin, Barbara and Walter

In which we see how four more characters met their end.

I really like how relatively simple Odin's story is, a small slideshow to set up how the curse started, and how disastrously it could hit. It's short but effective.

Calvin's presentation is similarly simple, but also somewhat engrossing as you get pulled into the rhythm of the swinging until the wind picks up and as it does so, the sense of dread.

Barbara's murder at the hands of a home invader is one of the more abstracted stories, but the comic book aesthetic is really charming and adds some levity to the proceedings, which directly contrasts with Walter's relatively subdued and literal story, which fits as a reaction to her own story because Walter's fate was a direct result of his sister's murder driving him into the basement in fear.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We changed Knuckles. Oops.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Game Grumps at are around this same point and it is honestly refreshing to see Sonic Adventure 2 played by someone that's actually competent at it.

I'm not kidding, I think they died two dozen times during Hidden Base.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AweStriker posted:

The Game Grumps at are around this same point and it is honestly refreshing to see Sonic Adventure 2 played by someone that's actually competent at it.

I'm not kidding, I think they died two dozen times during Hidden Base.

I figure they would've played that one some time ago, are they just now getting to it? I do think even the Game Grumps subreddit is largely the fans making fun of Arin, though.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So a little while ago - about three years - Danaru and I did an LP of Superhot that was pretty fun. Now we're back, but it's a quick playthrough of Superhot: The Card Game instead. Except we're using Tabletop Simulator so it's actually Superhot: The Card Game: The Video Game, or something. Also due to chronic migraines I do a terrible job explaining things, but ah well.

Game overview: "And welcome to Superhot: The Card Game"
Playthrough: "Dodge-punch the Punch-man"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

So a little while ago - about three years - Danaru and I did an LP of Superhot that was pretty fun. Now we're back, but it's a quick playthrough of Superhot: The Card Game instead. Except we're using Tabletop Simulator so it's actually Superhot: The Card Game: The Video Game, or something. Also due to chronic migraines I do a terrible job explaining things, but ah well.

Game overview: "And welcome to Superhot: The Card Game"
Playthrough: "Dodge-punch the Punch-man"

Chronic migraines? Not that this is the place, exactly, but I hope you've gotten it checked out by a doctor. I'm no stranger to headpain and hope you aren't suffering too much.

I'll give the LP a watch either way, but I'm not sure I'll have much to say. Hang in there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

What Remains of Edith Finch Part 4 - The tales of Sam, Gregory, Gus, and Milton TRIGGER WARNING - Gregory is 2 years old, and given how the characters all end up in their stories, you can see where this is going.

In which we see how four more characters met their end.

I like how Sam's story is told through the camera lens, making it feel very personal. Also the moment when the camera also doubles as the defacto rifle scope is a neat twist.

Gregory's is one of those where it's kind of hard to watch because you know where a child being left alone in the bath is going to lead in a story like this, but the severe abstraction helps obscure the horror of the situation.

I like Gus's visuals as the wind picks up and picks up everything at the scene, especially because it's one of the few times we see the aftermath in reality before we see the story itself as we pass through the ruined beach early in the video.

Milton's flip book is a clever way of showing the disappearance of an artist who left behind no body.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Put up a couple casual livestreamed LP things over the weekend. First is part 1 of a playthrough of Deltarune: Chapter 1. There'll be five parts, all of which will be quite long considering the game itself is relatively brief. There's a lot to rub your face on.
I was considering not posting it here, but gently caress it, it's the casual thread for a reason. And the game's a hoot anyway.

And yesterday I streamed a tat-assisted unskill run of Link's Crossbow Training. For those curious of the game but were never willing to spend the money on it and still aren't because you shouldn't.

Also, of course, today's Sonic Adventure 2 part. We're in space! And in pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

What Remains of Edith Finch Part 5 - The Tales of Lewis Edie, Dawn and Edith (Finale)

In which we finish the story.

I really love how Lewis's story gets you in his mindset, the monotony of his work leading you to seek out more interesting vistas, getting you just as engrossed in his imagination as he is as he completely disassociates due to his drug withdrawal. And all the while, you keep moving the mouse, beheading the salmon, part of the factory, no longer aware of it, but still making the motions.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 2, 2019