Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I actually see some differences between PC and PS2 versions now. I think I'll upload some PC footage if I ever get it to not gently caress up the cutscenes

I am genuinely impressed that it pulls the trick of masking Loading times with cutscenes, even though the cutscenes are terrible, because not many games did that - a lot of it's contemporaries just had the loading screens. Ratchet tried masking with the Rocket Flight scenes when arriving at planets, but Spyro just flew on a background for 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrsbVm7Vex8

Squirm is a 2D platformer with handguns, Undertale visuals (right?), and an interesting story, I think.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

zurgo helmsmahser

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

I moved to Sweden recently, sadly away from my wife, and to give me something to do in the cold and lonely north, I decided to try my hand at streaming things. At the same time, I had found out that Dark Souls 2 and 3 don't cloudsave, but I had just done a fresh Windows install, so bye bye my savegames. So because I'm honestly kinda bored by a lot of DS3 but still want to try things out in it and have "complete" characters available in case I get an itch (and I still haven't killed Midir :argh:), I figured it'd be a good "practice" game while it'd also keep me awake and give me motivation to get through the boring to the juicy bits.

It worked out well enough while I was still in central Europe (please don't ask my recent movement patterns, it's complicated) but up here I quickly discovered that the upload in my new apartment is garbage, so I cannot stream. Still, I had a lot of fun talking over games again and I might have something coming out from that as well (always wanted to do an in-depth DS1 LP), but before I entertain any of those thoughts, I want to finish DS3 because I dislike having things just hanging around half-done.

Because streaming doesn't work, it is now a low-effort live LP done without a studio audience. Cannot be arsed to edit things...yet. Because it's kinda garbage (I figure) and doesn't even have the live appeal, nobody is watching it. Like, literally. I don't care too much - wanna just finish it, as I said, and I'd be playing the game anyway, might as well record it - but hey, maybe people do want to see it or someone on SA is even wondering what I've been up to. So here it is! I'll be posting what I have, there's gonna be a break over easter because I'm home for the holidays, but afterwards I'll be alone again so it'll be more time to nerd out. I'll also be in possession of a shiny new gaming laptop with far, far higher specs than the one I'm currently using so expect the video quality to skyrocket afterwards (just visually, I'll still be talking about the same old boring poo poo).

Hope someone enjoys it regardless!

Playlist

Part 1 - Up to Vordt: I get used to being live. Also lay down the main conceits: I wanna go through the game with an "easy-mode" build (meaning a big smashy hammer) and probably collect most things as I don't have any characters yet, so I can respec and try poo poo later, maybe. I don't care about lore and will skip dialogue. Only gameplay matters to me. I also spoil things a lot so this is not recommended for people completely new to the game. Usually though, I don't talk too much about stuff that'll come way later.
Part 2 - Loose ends in High Wall: I have by now decided that I do want to collect everything and not just zoom through the game, so I have to re-do a few collection bits I missed. Also Firelink NPCs and poo poo.
Part 3 - Undead Settlement Analysis: This is where I try to apply my usual analytical style to things, talk about enemy placement and level design and so on. It ends up taking ages because I didn't plan this poo poo and I'm not used to analyzing Dark Souls levels as well as platformer ones. Also the Settlement turns out to be kind of a mess if you're not just playing normally.
Part 4 - Road of Sacrifices: This is just exploring two large-ish areas with nothing special happening I don't think.
Part 5 - Farron Keep: In defense of the Swamp Level, I guess. It's really not that bad - or at least I don't have a super huge problem with it.
Part 6 - Cathedral of the Deep: For me, the Cathedral is a super high point of the game's level design and I hope to convey that in this episode.
Part 7 - Some Sidequests and technical difficulties: This one is garbage because it's here where I discover that no, I can't reliably stream from my apartment in Sweden.
Part 8 - A tiny bit of the lower Cathedral: I did another test but nope, streaming doesn't work out. Basically get nothing substantial done. Also looks like garbage.
Part 9 - Finishing up Cathedral of the Deep: This is now a live LP. I get bamboozled by sidequests not working as they should.
Part 10 - How is PvP in a live LP?: Answer: It's garbage and a lot of waiting around. You can judge for yourself and maybe tell me "this is cool, do more" but I think it's terrible, feel free to skip it (nothing progression-wise happens).
Part 11 - Catacombs of Carthus: I think by this point I have figured out what I want to do with this: go through at a somewhat reasonable pace, talk about level layouts and enemies but not dwell on them super long, try to find a good balance basically. If you don't care for this YT dump that begins with honestly really bad content, you might want to start here.
Part 12 - Smouldering Lake (top part): The level is kinda bad and drags on a bit, but I try to make it entertaining and break it up a little. Hope it succeeded!
Part 13 - Smouldering Lake (bottom part): Finally done with this. I change up the weapon (this'll happen more frequently) so it doesn't get too boring.
Part 14 - Dipping into Ashes of Ariandel: I visit the DLC to get some stuff I want right now. I also play super badly and bitch a lot, because I don't like the DLC particularly much. Listen to hear my reasons why, skip if you don't care for me being more negative than usual. You see the haul in the next video anyway.
Part 15 - Exploring Irityhll: No bosses in this episode, but I clean out a lot of territory. Also get aquainted to my new weapon, fortunately I quite like it!
Part 16 - Irithyll Dungeon and Profaned Capital: I get a lot done here, even though I also get lost a little. Again, kind of an "in defense of" episode. Don't hate the dungeon at all!

And that's it so far! As I said, will take a real life break now, but I intend to finish this. Honestly gotten far farther than I thought I would initially, haha. Surprised myself by how many links these actually are. From now on, you can tell me what you liked/hated (please, if you want, even in the earlier videos - I might correct this later on my own, or not, but I value any input! I want to improve even this late in my "LP career"!). I'm open to weapon suggestions and "please show off [x]", though I won't promise that I can fulfill any requests.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ace Lightning: Part 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wosXYwpY4lU

We explore the second level, and I discover just how awesome the Lightning Bolt powerup is - L2 activates the shield, R2 activates the Lightning Stream weapon which does a lot of damage very quickly.

I never figured out how it worked until the penultimate boss on my first playthrough so this is my first time using it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Whoah Pardner, don't shoot

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Woody what's wrong with your faaaace :gonk:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play “Spongebob's Boating Bash”

Spongebob's Boating Bash is a budget vehicular combat videogame centered around Spongebob and his woes as he attempts to obtain his driver's license. I've been told it's comparable to the likes of Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, but I haven't played that myself. What I do know, though, is that even though Boating Bash claims to be a party game, it has a story mode, and that's what we're looking at here.

About the Let's Play

I'll be joined by a co-commentator this time: a dear friend named Powerdork. I will be subjecting Powerdork to ceaseless prodding and questions along our journey. The only thing I ask is that everyone avoid gameplay and story spoilers where possible.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 23, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't had time to look through this thread yet, but are there any SSLPs here?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Very early on Tae does an SSLP of Project X Zone; I don't know if it gets finished, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey so just a quick update on my Arma 3 stuff, which I know I've been updating at a glacial pace: The mod had an update a week or 2 ago which completely nuked my save. I can't bring myself to restart again, I do want to do an offshoot of that mod, the version on the Apex DLC, but given a recent break in attempt at my house I'm too paranoid to play any game that can distract me. Apologies, I didn't want to leave anyone hanging past my typical slow update schedule.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Let's Play “Spongebob's Boating Bash”

Spongebob's Boating Bash is a budget vehicular combat videogame centered around Spongebob and his woes as he attempts to obtain his driver's license. I've been told it's comparable to the likes of Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, but I haven't played that myself. What I do know, though, is that even though Boating Bash claims to be a party game, it has a story mode, and that's what we're looking at here.

About the Let's Play

I'll be joined by a co-commentator this time: a dear friend named Powerdork. I will be subjecting Powerdork to ceaseless prodding and questions along our journey. The only thing I ask is that everyone avoid gameplay and story spoilers where possible.

Videos

To be fair Passion it does make sense for a Bus Stop to be there considering how isolated the driving school is - how else will the students, who cannot drive yet, make it to that school without taking a bus? Walk the 30 miles out of town?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair Passion it does make sense for a Bus Stop to be there considering how isolated the driving school is - how else will the students, who cannot drive yet, make it to that school without taking a bus? Walk the 30 miles out of town?

I've had that brought up already, but can you imagine how far out of the normal route it has to be? And why did the bus arrive after the school closed on its final day?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace LIghtning: Level 3 and Googler Boss Fight
OK, here is the first Boss of Ace Lightning! Googler the jester! Grating voice and dumb puns aside, the boss mechanic is at least trying something. It's a gimmick but at least it's not just a hard enemy - generally the bosses in this game aren't too bad outside the final one, they are attempting to be interesting and even though some of them are things we have seen done better in better games, they are at least distinct enough from each other that it's not just "Shoot it till it dies while dodging attacks". There are variations.

If the sound is a little tinny sorry, I forgot to leave a couple of seconds of blank air to use for denoising so the music may have got caught by the process.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Ace LIghtning: Level 3 and Googler Boss Fight
OK, here is the first Boss of Ace Lightning! Googler the jester! Grating voice and dumb puns aside, the boss mechanic is at least trying something. It's a gimmick but at least it's not just a hard enemy - generally the bosses in this game aren't too bad outside the final one, they are attempting to be interesting and even though some of them are things we have seen done better in better games, they are at least distinct enough from each other that it's not just "Shoot it till it dies while dodging attacks". There are variations.

If the sound is a little tinny sorry, I forgot to leave a couple of seconds of blank air to use for denoising so the music may have got caught by the process.

You can just stun the clown, though :confused:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

You can just stun the clown, though :confused:

I didn't know if the standard ammo using gun could do that as well and it takes forever to switch to the stun gun after running out of ammo, so I never thought to use it on the clown. Especially because the stun gun is useless on the other bosses. The fight still went well regardless, but thanks for the tip.

I'm actually curious if anyone else ever played a different terrible licensed game - a few years ago I played through the entirety of a terrible Action Man game on Gameboy called Search for Base X. The controls were terrible and the enemy placement absolute bullshit, but hte structure had interested me, as each level had 3 subobjectives down different paths. You had to go in order because the game was absurdly linear but you could pick the stage from the start, it was just kind of trial and error. Each path gave you an outfit (like the Scuba outfit that allowed you to explore underwater tunnels), weapon (like a drill for breaking rocks) or cleared a formerly dangerous path (like turning off electricity somewhere so you didn't get shocked). It was pretty interesting. Almost unplayable though, I didn't have much fun with it like I did Ace Lightning. I had to badly abuse savestates.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 31, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

"I can't figure out how to activate Blade Mode."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Part 17 - Pontiff Sully and his backyard

I finish Irithyll in this. It's mostly just one area, but I do some super fun PvP which extends the playtime a lot. Spoilers: Vordt's Hammer still wrecks poo poo.

This is recorded on my new laptop, so hopefully it looks super great now - the resolution is a proper 1920x1080, and I put all the settings to max. If that does not translate into the video itself, I'd really appreciate someone telling me. At the moment, it's not fully processed though so maybe in a few hours, hopefully?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Level 4: Garden of Illusion - Horror Hedge-Maze

We navigate a relatively confusing level, but one that generally I don't have much trouble navigating. This isn't a bad maze overall, I rarely get lost here and the Youtube LPer that apparently did get lost (and subsequently gave up), well they're just bad at the game :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Level 5: Garden of Illusion - The Well

This is the easiest and shortest level in the entire game, sandwiched between two of the hardest. It's a nice breather before throwing ourselves at the long hard level ahead of us, and a boss that can be fairly tricky.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

MacFarlane's Evil Prophecy (Blind) Part 1

I know a triple post isn't really kosher but I've decided to try a Blind run of a game I'd never heard of. Here is my first video of MacFarlane's Evil Prophecy. It's fun so far, but may get repetitive later. This isn't replacing Ace Lightning, just something I figured I'd try to chill out. Still gonna Finish Ace, although depending on if this game gets crap or dull I may not finish MacFarlane, hence putting it here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Listen my friend how dare you even have three posts in a row full of good content, how dare you :arghfist:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Ace Lightning Level 5: Garden of Illusion - The Well

This is the easiest and shortest level in the entire game, sandwiched between two of the hardest. It's a nice breather before throwing ourselves at the long hard level ahead of us, and a boss that can be fairly tricky.

This is not a level present in the PC version. The PC version has an actual level in this place

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Radio Allergy

Radio Allergy is a bullet hell shooter with a couple of interesting twists and a surrealistic, cartoonish atmosphere. It may seem uninteresting to most, but its funky music and personality won me over. It's a simple, short game, with just enough depth to keep shooter fans trying to get their combo multiplier higher and higher.

About the LP

We're going to be playing through the game twice. The first time, we'll simply be finishing the game how I would normally play it. There are no secret or Ultimate True Bosses hidden behind an obscure win condition. (I checked.) The second time through, we'll be playing Dot-Eater, which doesn't change the story in any way, but is a mandatory inclusion for any shooter where the bosses eventually flee out of disinterest.

Videos

Extra

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 20, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Simply Simon posted:

Listen my friend how dare you even have three posts in a row full of good content, how dare you :arghfist:

u better step it up!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

u better step it up!
Okay!

Part 18 - Aldrich, Dancer, Oceiros

How about instead of three posts with one video each, I make one video with three bosses?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I like the comic book cutscenes in Ace Lightning. They're goofy, but in a charming way.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

I like the comic book cutscenes in Ace Lightning. They're goofy, but in a charming way.

i second this opinion

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Level 6: Garden of Illusion - the House of Illusion

If the Hedge Maze was a test of our combat skills, this is the true test of our Platforming, with some tricky encounters towards the end. This is truly where it becomes obvious that the game wants us to avoid enemies as much as possible - in some places the coins snake in such a way that if you follow their path you'll dodge the enemies in the area easily.

This is a personal favourite level of mine. The boss however will wait, because she is annoying. For her and the final boss, although just them because the others are easy enough, I'll be recording ahead of time and savescumming. Then I'll edit and commentate on the footage resulting in a smoother experience for you. Everything else is straightforward enough for live-commentary, but those fights will require concentration.

On another note, a recommendation for GamesAreSuperNice, given we have similar tastes - the Knight Rider game on the PS2 is really fun, recommend giving it a go. The controls take some getting used to but when you get them down it's fairly fluid. Here's a vid I made a while back showing off my favourite level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_hKir7nRg

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 14, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

The controls take some getting used to but when you get them down it's fairly fluid. Here's a vid I made a while back showing off my favourite level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_hKir7nRg

The car jumps? I'm sold.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The car jumps? I'm sold.

There is a chase sequence where if you get it just right you can jump on top of the other car and do enormous amounts of damage - that level is really annoying, so that's a really satisfying thing to pull off. Also the bosses are neat - the first one is a big truck being driven by Gabriel's rival that's too heavily armoured to hit head on so you need to tilt KITT and grind your undercarriage along it's body to do more damage. My favourite one is the first boss fight against KARR because it's really just a race:

About halfway through the game KARR challenges you to a race around the old testing track (that serves as the games tutorial level prior to this), and to make it fair/make KITT play along, he has his own ballast. What he means by that is KITT is being weighed down by some useless human along for the ride, so he is evening the odds - the primary mechanic and woman who helped build him is being held hostage in his back seat. If you lose the race, he will jettison all the oxygen in the car and kill her. It's a surprisingly pure motive for an evil car, he just wants to race his little brother to see who's better at driving, the new version or the prototype. Of course the track is set to the hardest difficulty for the whole race so loads of obstacles are coming all the time. You really need to have mastered the controls to beat that level.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning - Part 7: Boss 2, Lady Illusion

Here we are, the biggest roadblock for me, Lady Illusion. I was stuck here for months when first trying to play, largely because I wasn't savestating. When you load a save, you start at the hub. This means that you need to go through the level first, then say you want to proceed to the boss lair. That's 20 minutes wasted replaying the funhouse. At least the other bosses are nicer in that they are easy, and the final boss is just the fight, no levels associated with it.

It's nice to pass here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted, have you ever taken a look at the Miami Vice game made by the same developers of Knight Rider? It's also on PS2, and I thought it looked very bad, but maybe you could see something in it that I didn't

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BioEnchanted, have you ever taken a look at the Miami Vice game made by the same developers of Knight Rider? It's also on PS2, and I thought it looked very bad, but maybe you could see something in it that I didn't

I haven't, may emulate it. If you do go for the Knight Rider game, just know that the mechanics take some getting used to, it took me forever to get through the tutorial, but it was much easier to do the tricks in the other levels due to having more freedom, and practice helped too. Some of the platforming gets fairly difficult, especially figuring out how to get to where you need to be. Funny thing is I've never seen Knight Rider, that game is the only exposure I've had to the whole IP. To be fair though it was a bit before my time.

Of course, despite my reputation I do have standards - while I may mess around with the Charlies Angels game some day due to curiosity about the absurd Monument Thief plotline (although I haven't yet) I have no intention to approach Bad Boys 2's incredibly racist interpretation, and while some of the missions in the Planet 51 game are cute and charming, the game feels so slow for a driving game it's just too boring to continue through. I'm halfway through and kind of done with it.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Your reputation? I think most people enjoy the way you look at games in a new light. Planet 51 seemed cute as a kid-friendly driving game, but I wouldn't record it for commentary

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly given our eclectic tastes, we'll probably end up like Jack Sprat and his wife - between the two of us we'll end up LPing the entire PS2 library. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning - Part 8: Cowboy Crossroads, Nevershine Mine

We start Cowboy Crossroads, the third hub. This first level is a fairly basic one, but with a neat gimmick in the branching paths, just one I don't care to explore. I do like the little trap though. :3:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

That level was atmospheric, much moreso than the House of Illusion, surprisingly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning - Part 9: Cowboy Crossroads, Ghastly Gulch

Here we have a fairly neat level with some interesting, if tricky, enemy types and some neat gimmicks. I like the setpiece at the end with the Hotel. It's a fun fight and neat idea, if an overdone trope.

also love that the final cactus is in a Sombrero. :h: the Cactus Men :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

At least I chose a good genre to be bad at.