Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

I moved to Sweden recently, sadly away from my wife, and to give me something to do in the cold and lonely north, I decided to try my hand at streaming things. At the same time, I had found out that Dark Souls 2 and 3 don't cloudsave, but I had just done a fresh Windows install, so bye bye my savegames. So because I'm honestly kinda bored by a lot of DS3 but still want to try things out in it and have "complete" characters available in case I get an itch (and I still haven't killed Midir :argh:), I figured it'd be a good "practice" game while it'd also keep me awake and give me motivation to get through the boring to the juicy bits.

It worked out well enough while I was still in central Europe (please don't ask my recent movement patterns, it's complicated) but up here I quickly discovered that the upload in my new apartment is garbage, so I cannot stream. Still, I had a lot of fun talking over games again and I might have something coming out from that as well (always wanted to do an in-depth DS1 LP), but before I entertain any of those thoughts, I want to finish DS3 because I dislike having things just hanging around half-done.

Because streaming doesn't work, it is now a low-effort live LP done without a studio audience. Cannot be arsed to edit things...yet. Because it's kinda garbage (I figure) and doesn't even have the live appeal, nobody is watching it. Like, literally. I don't care too much - wanna just finish it, as I said, and I'd be playing the game anyway, might as well record it - but hey, maybe people do want to see it or someone on SA is even wondering what I've been up to. So here it is! I'll be posting what I have, there's gonna be a break over easter because I'm home for the holidays, but afterwards I'll be alone again so it'll be more time to nerd out. I'll also be in possession of a shiny new gaming laptop with far, far higher specs than the one I'm currently using so expect the video quality to skyrocket afterwards (just visually, I'll still be talking about the same old boring poo poo).

Hope someone enjoys it regardless!

Playlist

Part 1 - Up to Vordt: I get used to being live. Also lay down the main conceits: I wanna go through the game with an "easy-mode" build (meaning a big smashy hammer) and probably collect most things as I don't have any characters yet, so I can respec and try poo poo later, maybe. I don't care about lore and will skip dialogue. Only gameplay matters to me. I also spoil things a lot so this is not recommended for people completely new to the game. Usually though, I don't talk too much about stuff that'll come way later.
Part 2 - Loose ends in High Wall: I have by now decided that I do want to collect everything and not just zoom through the game, so I have to re-do a few collection bits I missed. Also Firelink NPCs and poo poo.
Part 3 - Undead Settlement Analysis: This is where I try to apply my usual analytical style to things, talk about enemy placement and level design and so on. It ends up taking ages because I didn't plan this poo poo and I'm not used to analyzing Dark Souls levels as well as platformer ones. Also the Settlement turns out to be kind of a mess if you're not just playing normally.
Part 4 - Road of Sacrifices: This is just exploring two large-ish areas with nothing special happening I don't think.
Part 5 - Farron Keep: In defense of the Swamp Level, I guess. It's really not that bad - or at least I don't have a super huge problem with it.
Part 6 - Cathedral of the Deep: For me, the Cathedral is a super high point of the game's level design and I hope to convey that in this episode.
Part 7 - Some Sidequests and technical difficulties: This one is garbage because it's here where I discover that no, I can't reliably stream from my apartment in Sweden.
Part 8 - A tiny bit of the lower Cathedral: I did another test but nope, streaming doesn't work out. Basically get nothing substantial done. Also looks like garbage.
Part 9 - Finishing up Cathedral of the Deep: This is now a live LP. I get bamboozled by sidequests not working as they should.
Part 10 - How is PvP in a live LP?: Answer: It's garbage and a lot of waiting around. You can judge for yourself and maybe tell me "this is cool, do more" but I think it's terrible, feel free to skip it (nothing progression-wise happens).
Part 11 - Catacombs of Carthus: I think by this point I have figured out what I want to do with this: go through at a somewhat reasonable pace, talk about level layouts and enemies but not dwell on them super long, try to find a good balance basically. If you don't care for this YT dump that begins with honestly really bad content, you might want to start here.
Part 12 - Smouldering Lake (top part): The level is kinda bad and drags on a bit, but I try to make it entertaining and break it up a little. Hope it succeeded!
Part 13 - Smouldering Lake (bottom part): Finally done with this. I change up the weapon (this'll happen more frequently) so it doesn't get too boring.
Part 14 - Dipping into Ashes of Ariandel: I visit the DLC to get some stuff I want right now. I also play super badly and bitch a lot, because I don't like the DLC particularly much. Listen to hear my reasons why, skip if you don't care for me being more negative than usual. You see the haul in the next video anyway.
Part 15 - Exploring Irityhll: No bosses in this episode, but I clean out a lot of territory. Also get aquainted to my new weapon, fortunately I quite like it!
Part 16 - Irithyll Dungeon and Profaned Capital: I get a lot done here, even though I also get lost a little. Again, kind of an "in defense of" episode. Don't hate the dungeon at all!

And that's it so far! As I said, will take a real life break now, but I intend to finish this. Honestly gotten far farther than I thought I would initially, haha. Surprised myself by how many links these actually are. From now on, you can tell me what you liked/hated (please, if you want, even in the earlier videos - I might correct this later on my own, or not, but I value any input! I want to improve even this late in my "LP career"!). I'm open to weapon suggestions and "please show off [x]", though I won't promise that I can fulfill any requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Part 17 - Pontiff Sully and his backyard

I finish Irithyll in this. It's mostly just one area, but I do some super fun PvP which extends the playtime a lot. Spoilers: Vordt's Hammer still wrecks poo poo.

This is recorded on my new laptop, so hopefully it looks super great now - the resolution is a proper 1920x1080, and I put all the settings to max. If that does not translate into the video itself, I'd really appreciate someone telling me. At the moment, it's not fully processed though so maybe in a few hours, hopefully?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Listen my friend how dare you even have three posts in a row full of good content, how dare you :arghfist:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

u better step it up!
Okay!

Part 18 - Aldrich, Dancer, Oceiros

How about instead of three posts with one video each, I make one video with three bosses?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Part 19 - Archdragon Peak

I almost forgot I was posting these in here :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Part 20 - Sidequest Conclusions and more Ariandel

This is even more rambly than usual, mostly because I wasn't doing that many actually fun things. I'm sorry! At least I almost kill the Nameless King first try* (the only try in this video), so that's cool?

*for this playthrough