Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm here! I might even have something to contribute soon-ish, when I manage to muster up enough :effort: to hook that Sega Saturn up to my recording setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tell Me Why I Had to LP POWERSLAVE!

Well, I just kinda wanted to, really. PowerSlave (or Exhumed, if you're in Europe) is something of a Sega Saturn cult classic, an Egyptian-themed FPS with open-ended exploration elements and upgrade system akin to what you'd see in Metroid. The basic plot is that some alien jerks have exhumed the mummy of Ramses II and are draining its power to summon hordes of evil creatures and take over the world, and the nameless special forces protagonist is tasked by the pharaoh's spirit to gather a bunch of ancient artifacts and stop all this nonsense.

PowerSlave was also ported to PlayStation and PC, but the original Saturn version is generally considered to be the definitive.one (the old PC version, powered by the Build engine, is pretty much a completely different game and best avoided -- if you want to play this game on PC, get your hands on the fanmade PowerSlave EX). The game was developed by Lobotomy Software, who would later use the PowerSlave engine (known as SlaveDriver) for their Saturn ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, and closed down shortly afterwards because those ports were so expensive to make.

Part 01: Ramses' Tomb and Karnak

The reason this is in the casual LPs thread is that I'm playing almost completely blind (having only played through the first couple of levels before) and therefore have no idea what I'm doing. It's also supposed to be more of a side project I occasionally work on when I'm not updating my main LP thread (GTA IV as of this writing). There are also some technical difficulties, although those actually aren't happening due to the game CD itself being dodgy (like I assume in the video) but because playing a PAL game on an NTSC system is causing some weirdness. It's pretty minor, though, and the gameplay isn't affected at all.

edit: Here's the intro that I had to skip due to the aforementioned tech issues.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 27, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm not going to post a new PowerSlave episode every day or anything like that, but since the first video really just covers the tutorial I wanted to get a video with an actual level out as soon as I could.

*image in thumbnail does not actually appear in the episode, normally you don't want to get this close to the Anubis enemies

Part 02: Karnak Sanctuary

I've mentioned that the controls are a bit awkward, as you might expect from a console FPS from this era. You move around with the d-pad, strafe with the shoulder buttons, and look up and down (inverted, of course) with the d-pad while holding the X button. It takes a bit of getting used to, shall we say.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well, I suppose you could remap them to do that. I would definitely prefer to have strafing on the d.pad, but looking around with L and R doesn't exactly seem optimal either. Unfortunately, PowerSlave doesn't support the Saturn's analog controller either, not that it'd really help since it only has one analog stick but at least it might feel a little bit smoother.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I can't stop staring at the animated logo with the words flashing in different colors in sync with the main riff (and the SKATE OR DIE at the start). :krad:

The original Skate or Die theme from the Commodore 64 doesn't have digitized voices, but it's still pretty rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruPXfmX8rYw

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

To celebrate the recent release of Burnout Paradise Remastered, I decided to play the older games in the series. Obviously, the beginning is always a good place to start from, so here's me playing the original Burnout while rambling on about dumb poo poo (mainly involving the games themselves, at least) in my sexy Nordic accent and having equally dumb crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex09-lySTKQ

This was a super casual thing I decided to do on a whim (and my first time doing live commentary on a video, which I bring up as one excuse for my horrendous driving at one point), just playing Burnout and bullshitting about stuff, so don't expect any particularly insightful commentary in this one. I'll be doing videos for the rest of the games as well, and even though these are just one-off things I figured I might as well put them here in the spirit of :justpost:

edit: I'm watching the Daytona USA video from a few posts back and yes, the Saturn did use quads instead of triangles, which caused all kinds of headaches to developers. There was also some weird stuff involving the two graphics processors.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 23, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Woody what's wrong with your faaaace :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I bring you more Burnout, with a look at the excellent sequel. We still have no Takedowns or EA Trax buttrock, but what we do have here is some truly excellent arcade racing and of course the debut of the Crash Mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8J_dQe4UGY

Watching this back, it seems I'm pretty relaxed about all this crazy 150mph+ action going on. That's :finland: for you.

Also, while I mention in the commentary that Burnout 3 is next, I wasn't planning on doing an LP video like the first two games and I'm adapting my retrospective article for a video review thing instead.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I decided to play some Crash Mode in Burnout 2.

Apologies for the occasional audio aberrations, apparently RTX Voice thinks my voice is some sort of horrible noise that needs to be processed to oblivion. It's not entirely wrong.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 5, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Burnout 2 Crash Mode Part 2: SHOOTING CAR PRESS

More metal-mangling mayhem in Burnout 2's Crash Mode! Despite suggestions to the contrary in this video, I do know the difference between a front flip and a back flip. I also noticed YouTube butchered the quality on the last video, so I've rendered this one at 1440p to mitigate the effects of YouTube's video compression. Not that it helps when YouTube is refusing to process the 1440p version of the video, though... :argh:

These are the only episodes I've recorded so far, but I might record more later.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

LP One-Off: Carmageddon 64

As some of you may have noticed, AVGN released a video of this game a few days ago. However, since he wasn't familiar with Carmageddon II, he couldn't really go into detail on why this port is so abysmal. I, on the other hand, have played entirely too much Carmageddon II and can go into all sorts of detail, so now I shall suffer for your amusement...

And to answer the question in the clickbait thumbnail, not really. This is definitely an awful port, but there have been worse over the years.

Oh yeah, and MOTION SICKNESS WARNING! (I swear I wasn't drunk when I recorded this, but I'm not so sure about the person who programmed the car handling)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Why would they port Carmageddon 2 when Carmageddon 1 existed? I was so disappointed with the zombie BS in that game when it came out, and it was otherwise worse in every way too.
Zombies only existed in the censored version, the proper version had pedestrians. This was also the case with Carmageddon 1.

Carmageddon II definitely has problems (largely as a result of the publisher forcing the game to be released ahead of schedule in an obviously unfinished state) and lacks the gritty presentation of the first game, and the timed missions are horrible garbage for the most part. But it also has a much more advanced physics and damage model than the first game, which makes crashing into things a lot more entertaining, and I also quite like exploring the maps to hunt down upgrades and such.