Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

CJacobs posted:

Shovel Knight's visual style is probably best described as, "NES aesthetic without the physical limitations".

edit: Also, I decided I'm not going to do the plague knight expansion. I really don't like the gameplay so I don't think it'd make for very good videos even though the writing is still top notch.

I can't say I blame you considering how batshit hard it is.
The thing about switching the gameplay style that is ducktalesvania to variable bomberman with over complicated jumping mechanics is annoying especially when the game isn't designed for it in any way at all. Literally none of the level layouts have changed aside from making some vertical jumps just SLIGHTLY higher to give an excuse for the stupid bomb jump- which you wouldn't even need if the double jump was actually worth anything. Also you lose out on being able to use artifacts which means the godly crutch for people that suck at games, the phase locket, is no longer at your beck and call. It's kind of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

Olesh posted:

Aria of Sorrow was a great game, especially by comparison to the previous GBA Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow was Aria 2.0, which meant that while it was still a good game, it didn't really innovate and included a number of obligatory stupid touchscreen gimmicks that caused a fair number of people to judge it harshly by comparison. Attempts to change up and "improve" the tried-and-true mechanics introduced in Aria of Sorrow didn't really get received very well.

Aria of Sorrow is hands down the best of the GBA Castlevanias; it's not really a contest. Of the DS Castlevanias, Order of Ecclesia is generally accepted to be the best of the lot, with Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin competing for last place (personally, I'd rate Dawn of Sorrow above Portrait, but I've heard arguments both ways and it's down to personal taste anyway so YMMV). All three are solid, though, unlike either Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance - neither of them aged well.

The only reason Portrait really comes out ahead is because the touch screen gimmick isn't forced on you for every single boss.
Also I will have to disagree, CoM has aged okay because the unique take of it's gimmicks and it's visual style is unique and the gameplay isn't terrible, but HoD is just...I dunno the only good part about that game is my headcanon about how Simon trained Juste by making him arrange furniture, because if you can push a couch by yourself you can kill a Dracula by yourself.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That's a very well-written OP, and I think the analysis of the game mechanics is pretty accurate, though exaggerated. That being said, the original game was incredibly well-received when it came out. It was only after people became viciously nostalgic that the 3D games started to become "Sonic Team doesn't understand what people enjoy about Sonic". It's not as though everyone always hated 3D Sonic, it just shifted that way over time.

This is true, however some of those people who liked the game at the time were in fact Sonic fans just happy to get something cause Sonic hadn't really hit it's downward spiral yet, myself included. While it's true Adventure and Adventure 2 sort of shaped expectations to a fault with the Sonic community as more games came out, and as more games came out and they were worse than those two idolized examples, people started to turn away from it including vehement Sonic fans. Of course, in fairness, the initial thing that turned them away was how out of tone to the rest of the Sonic series Shadow's game was (along with it just being a tedious grind of a game if you wanted to see the whole story), and then after Shadow was 06...a janky rushed mess that most people didn't even want to give a second go even if they didn't hate it. And after 06 came out people started revisiting the old games, with having grown up and understanding through other games to compare it to on their side, and realize the flaws in them. They aren't as horrible as people say sure, I think the N64 games of that era are just as dated, but it's hard to ignore the jank was coming in even as early as Heroes upon scrutinizing past games.

But then people around the world touted Unleashed's day levels when it came out, while condemning the night levels cause of repetitive music and not wanting to understand the mechanics to be honest. So it's hard to argue why people started to get back into the series when the "Boost era" started even if you like the "Adventure era" games, because Colors set a new standard and was the best game SINCE the original Adventure games, hell it was BETTER than the Adventure games in my opinion...and then Lost World happened which threw away the baseline of ideas that Colors and Day levels in Unleashed created in favor of riding Mario Galaxy's coat tails. Outside of Generations which smoothed out the 3D era gameplay and brought back Classic style gameplay as well, and Mania which is just a better Sonic 4 that Sonic fans were desiring and even people that grew up with 3D Sonics couldn't ignore the quality of, none of the games since have really been good, passable maybe if you're the kind of person who can forgive Forces' problems, but not good.

That's sort of why Sonic's looked at the way it is these days, it's released mainline 3D games are a roller coaster of quality and it went as far back as when they started making 3D games. And don't get me wrong I'm not saying his Genesis era side scrollers are the perfect games either, just that...by comparison it's hard for me personally to not agree that Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best game in the franchise for a LONG time.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

This was uncalled for.

What's uncalled for is GASN diving down this dark road and lashing out at everyone cause people don't like Mighty Number 9.