Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't particularly care about this movie but I think people should discuss it however they want without it getting closed when the discussion annoys the OP. Have the trailer and have fun posting about orc racism!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
blizzard is racist against humans, its basically white genocide

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Literally The Worst posted:

blizzard is racist against humans, its basically white genocide

:agreed:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This movie is going to be the spiritual sequel to Avatar.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Immortan posted:

This movie is going to be the spiritual sequel to Avatar.

So what your saying is that Orc is going to use his long flowing braids to have sex with a human.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

axleblaze posted:

So what your saying is that Orc is going to use his long flowing braids to have sex with a human.

No. That would require a notable female character, which Warcraft is unlikely to do.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
ive never played any warcraft game but i am so loving down for this movie and the hilarity that will ensue on the internet from its existence

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

No. That would require a notable female character, which Warcraft is unlikely to do.

Hey they showed what looked like a half orc who for some reason wasn't cgi. I'm sure there's a long backstory explaining how a half orc could be born yet inherent none of her orc parent's cgi.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I enjoyed the Warcraft RTS games, but from the trailer, it doesn't look like there will be anything enjoyable (or particularly unique) about this movie. Duncan Jones is cool though. Moon was dope. I'll probably Redbox this at some point just to see if he added any cool touches to the Warcraft universe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

axleblaze posted:

Hey they showed what looked like a half orc who for some reason wasn't cgi. I'm sure there's a long backstory explaining how a half orc could be born yet inherent none of her orc parent's cgi.

There are several backstories, because they keep rewriting that bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

axleblaze posted:

Garona Halforcen has like the dumbest lore in the history of Warcraft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

axleblaze posted:

That's probably Garona. She was retconned from being half-human half-orc to being half-orc half-draenei.

I am going to laugh so drat hard if Blizzard is seriously going to put the draenei onto the big screen. They probably won't, since it's extraneous to the ORCS VS HUMANS story Blizzard can't let go of, but I'd love to see Blizzard try to explain the draenei in a movie.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That trailer featured no mining of gold nor chopping of wood. 0/10 Will not see.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking it up it looks like in the movie she is just a half human half orc.

I just find it funny that every non human is cgi except her where they just use make up because I guess they wanted the sexy orc to look more human than the others (though Avatar proved that wasn't really necessary).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cythereal posted:

there is jaina a female wizard who fucks thrall a orc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zVxTeflon posted:

...You haven't kept up with World of Warcraft, have you? Metzen has tried so drat hard to kill the very idea of thinking Jaina and Thrall might be or have been attracted to each other.

axleblaze posted:

I just find it funny that every non human is cgi except her where they just use make up because I guess they wanted the sexy orc to look more human than the others (though Avatar proved that wasn't really necessary).

Well, that's convenient. Would be hard to have the Path of Glory and then say the orcs are just misunderstood noble savages.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cythereal posted:

...You haven't kept up with World of Warcraft, have you?

thankfully no

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
After watching the trailer I got the feeling that this is going to be Dungeons & Dragons all over again. Which was an awful abortion of a movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zVxTeflon posted:

thankfully no

Long story short, these days Jaina's an inch away from being a raid boss (the Horde dropped a totally-not-a-nuclear-bomb on her, long story) and Thrall has an orc wife and kids.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly faithful to the source material.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

zVxTeflon posted:

She's moved on to dragons now, after orc hitler nuked her city.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheHeadSage posted:

She's moved on to dragons now, after orc hitler nuked her city.

None of this is a joke, in case anyone's wondering.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

loving savage orcs

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

orcs 9/11'd stormwind? ahahaa

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

zVxTeflon posted:

Theramore actually, Deathwing 9/11'd Stormwind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zVxTeflon posted:

Nope, Theramore. Turned it into a crater. Deathwing is the one who wrecked Stormwind.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was a pretty good movie, I guess I'm down with watching that again only with CGI monkeys replaced by CGI orcs with inexplicable sexual dimorphism.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the only way this poo poo can work is if it turns out its all people playing video games controlling the characters from their computer chairs

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Blizzard's story writing is, well, Not Great, but the Warcraft lore really only gets hella stupid when you try and look at it all as one thing, and it becomes an endless cycle of corrupted heroes becoming supreme end-boss badasses. Some individual bits of the lore are neat and maybe they found one that could make a good movie.

Anyway, Duncan Jones is good. So I have hopes that the movie will be.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I wouldn't find the looming failure of this movie so entertaining if its existence weren't seemingly motivated solely by an early-00's nerd fixation on validating videogames as a medium by kludging it into an entirely different medium

like, its as if they think they can only be "taken seriously" if they use their IP to make a "legit" fantasy movie with live action actors even though it doesnt suit at all

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

the only way this poo poo can work is if it turns out its all people playing video games controlling the characters from their computer chairs

Rob Kazinsky who plays Orgrim is apparently one of the world's top WoW player.

Why is Mila Kunis not in this? Henry Cavill is understandbly unavailable.

Edit:
Do Warcraft male naga have MRAs who complain that their women have more arms?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

...You haven't kept up with World of Warcraft, have you? Metzen has tried so drat hard to kill the very idea of thinking Jaina and Thrall might be or have been attracted to each other.

He shouldn't have written their initial meetings using the exact tropes from Romeo and Juliet if he was so opposed to miscegenation.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

Rob Kazinsky who plays Orgrim is apparently one of the world's top WoW player.

Why is Mila Kunis not in this? Henry Cavill is understandbly unavailable.

Edit:
Do Warcraft male naga have MRAs who complain that their women have more arms?

Yeah, he was #10 DPS in the world at some point, which is hilarious for so many reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Blizzard's story writing is, well, Not Great, but the Warcraft lore really only gets hella stupid when you try and look at it all as one thing, and it becomes an endless cycle of corrupted heroes becoming supreme end-boss badasses. Some individual bits of the lore are neat and maybe they found one that could make a good movie.

Anyway, Duncan Jones is good. So I have hopes that the movie will be.

I've been playing Warcraft and Blizzard games since the mid-90s, and the only thing I could call well-written in the entire affair is this weird story about this noble scholar who wanted to gently caress an underage girl and ended up violently killing her and her family, and it has nothing to do with anything and the entire quest chain feels completely out of place in the game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

axleblaze posted:

Sounds just like the games then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

He shouldn't have written their initial meetings using the exact tropes from Romeo and Juliet if he was so opposed to miscegenation.

Chris Metzen is a very strange man, mkay? And yes, in the current of WoW Jaina is dating a dragon and waffling back and forth between spineless weeping pushover and psychotic archmage with an axe to grind.

I wonder how much influence Metzen has on this project. He's got one, maybe two stories to tell in him. Sometimes he tells it decently well (Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Starcraft), sometimes... not (WoW, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3).

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'd like to hear what some smart people think about the production design, because it looks not great. Like, clearly they were going for kind of the cartoony, exaggerated style you see in the games, but I feel like they should have split the difference here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

I'd like to hear what some smart people think about the production design, because it looks not great. Like, clearly they were going for kind of the cartoony, exaggerated style you see in the games, but I feel like they should have split the difference here.

I just really, really think they should've gone full CG. Needing to have actual people composited into the CG is making everything look like poo poo and probably restricting a ton of what they can do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Someone mentioned in another thread, but the monster CG looks pretty good overall but the live action poo poo (humans) looks like hilariously bad CG in a lot of shots. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I just assumed it would be full CG until I saw that trailer for the first time

• Locked thread