Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, video game music has come a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Honestly, WC3 and WoW's Disney-esque style would have been perfect for an all-CG kids movie. They should have went with that. Warcraft is a fantasy cartoon, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hodgepodge posted:

Honestly, WC3 and WoW's Disney-esque style would have been perfect for an all-CG kids movie. They should have went with that. Warcraft is a fantasy cartoon, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hell, let's just get Ralph Bakshi to direct it as long as we're just spitballing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, video game music has come a long way.

I mean, not really. Hardware limitations aside, WC2's tunes hold up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2w5ryqH5gM

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I've played a ton of Warcraft stuff over the years and I have to say the trailer didn't grab me at all. The casting was really great, but the orcs look really silly for some reason I can't put my finger on. The WOW cinematics have more punch than that trailer did, in my opinion.
Hell the trailer for the new WOW expac was more interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I just meant from a technology stand point. There were some great old music themes (Total Annihilation's were the best) but only a few of those tones came out.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lurdiak posted:

It holds up compared to what? Internal speaker tunes?
That's some straight up garbage.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Total Annihilation was one of the first games to have an actual recorded orchestral score, and it's still some of Jeremy Soule's best work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ek3JvUBYaI

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bullet3 posted:

Total Annihilation was one of the first games to have an actual recorded orchestral score, and it's still some of Jeremy Soule's best work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ek3JvUBYaI

I pulled it out a couple of years ago and was astonished to see how well it's held up. Most stuff from that era has aged horribly, but goddamn, TA has not. It's probably actually better than Chris Taylor's efforts since.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So it turns out that there are a LOT of Easter Eggs hidden in the trailer, like the Harvest Golems, and several nice shots of the Dark Portal.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

This sounds like the music that plays as a children's cartoon pirate gives a speech about his evil plan of the week

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jenny Angel posted:

This sounds like the music that plays as a children's cartoon pirate gives a speech about his evil plan of the week

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Hodgepodge posted:

We live in an era when Batman and Superman are considered suitable protagonists for three hour, ultra violent, grimdark movies. It seems the new law of Hollywood is that even the campiest ideas need to be played utterly straight* and without any sense of humour. It's hardly surprising they'd try to do Warcraft as a serious story with real drama and probably some kind of hamfisted message about racism or inter-cultural conflict.

*Unless you count the Marvel movies, in which case we're supposed to feel tension even though the unkillable protagonists never seem to feel genuinely threatened and every hero doubles as the comic relief

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

It's hardly surprising they'd try to do Warcraft as a serious story with real drama and probably some kind of hamfisted message about racism or inter-cultural conflict.

WoW has been like this for a while now, the movie's just adapting the current tone of the series. Case in point: Orc Hitler nuking Theramore.

However, I am totally confident that this super-serious film will have either the Murloc noise or "Job done" as an out-of-place reference. Maybe even, dare I say it, a Leeroy Jenkins name drop.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 12, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's probably because I wasn't on the Internet much when it happened and was spared all the memes, but I loving love Leeroy Jenkins.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Everyone loving loved Leeroy Jenkins. Doesn't mean we can't roll our eyes when King Dickbutt nonchalantly orders a Pvt. Jenkins to deliver a missive to Archwizard Buttdick. That's not one scene by the way, that's the whole film

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'd probably be more fine with Leeroy Jenkins if one the Heroes Reborn characters did not keep using it as a battle cry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-M6hdJz37M
That's not the only time either.

Animax
Nov 7, 2015

The MSJ posted:

I'd probably be more fine with Leeroy Jenkins if one the Heroes Reborn characters did not keep using it as a battle cry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-M6hdJz37M
That's not the only time either.

They almost have to have a Leeroy Jenkins character in the film imo.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Harvest Golems are one of the few things that are (AFAIK) wholly original to the Warcraft universe that are awesome and own unironically

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I saw a dwarf in that trailer

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Westfall is such a weird zone compared to everything else in Warcraft. Everything else is just evil thing has come and hosed everything up, go and stop them, whereas Westfall is about a mason's guild getting hosed over on a contract so they decide to become pirates and build a pirate ship in a mine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CJ posted:

Westfall is such a weird zone compared to everything else in Warcraft. Everything else is just evil thing has come and hosed everything up, go and stop them, whereas Westfall is about a mason's guild getting hosed over on a contract so they decide to become pirates and build a pirate ship in a mine.

Don't worry, they're actually catspaws of an evil dragon to divide and weaken Stormwind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CJ posted:

I thought it was neat that their big doomsday weapon was a ship from Warcraft 2.

"Remember the good game? This is from that!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I prefer the Goblin-created Weapon from Gamespy's Flintlock comic. It was the pinnacle of goblin engineering, which means it was a bunch of explosives tied together.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
World of Warcraft's subscriber numbers have been dropping so much Blizzard has stopped reporting them. This isn't a good sign for the movie.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's funny that despite losing half their subs from their peak in 2010, they still have like three times more subs than their nearest competition. Did they gently caress something up real bad? Or are their fans just tired of the warcraft thing?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's funny that despite losing half their subs from their peak in 2010, they still have like three times more subs than their nearest competition. Did they gently caress something up real bad? Or are their fans just tired of the warcraft thing?

WoD was poo poo and saw a steep drop but it's been slowly declining for the last 5 years. People are just getting bored of the game and teenagers are playing other games like LoL and CSGO so they aren't getting new players to replace those that leave.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mists of Pandaria backfired so hard. Blizzard thought it would bring in a ton of new Chinese players, but instead it just alienated all the western players who thought an island of stupid pandas was not an appropriate followup to defeating a demon prince, a lich king, and a primeval dragon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MOBA is the new MMO, basically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, that too. They're a lot loving cheaper to maintain, too.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Video game cutscene

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ah the Sega CD.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

niethan posted:

Video game cutscene

With the way the guard on the left hangs his head you can tell how ashamed he is to be in this shot. He's all "Ugh and now they are taking a picture."

ninja-e.: Also, Jedi spotted in the back.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Look at all that empty space. It's like they're positioned just right for the raid to funnel in, talk to lady katrana prestor and start the fight.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a deliberate composition.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lurdiak posted:

Mists of Pandaria backfired so hard. Blizzard thought it would bring in a ton of new Chinese players, but instead it just alienated all the western players who thought an island of stupid pandas was not an appropriate followup to defeating a demon prince, a lich king, and a primeval dragon.

The drop started in Cataclysm. And has been in pretty steady decline since then, with expected ups and downs when new patches or expansions come out. I don't think many people actually quit WoW because of anything that's released, they just get bored since they've been playing the same game for probably 5+ years and it's just not that good of a game. People like to create this big narrative about how whatever random thing bugs them drove people to quit in droves, but in all likelihood they would have quit anyway.

Anyway, honestly it seems like it would be hard to screw a movie like this up. Orcs fight humans. Some character drama because each side has their own mad wizard who started it. I mean, it won't be great, but is anyone expecting it to be? I doubt even the producers wanted a good movie out of this, they wanted a big movie that'll get people curious enough to check it out and then make up its budget overseas. I don't see this failing, even if everyone hates it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

Cataclysm was when I and a bunch of other people quit, but there's other factors that applied to the entire MMO genre.

Basically MMOs are way too time intensive for the output you get. Something like Dota has a similar time commitment if you actually want to be a "pro" but if you just wanna gently caress around with your friends it'll take like 45 minutes out of your day. In that respect MOBAs are much more similar to the old arena shooters than MMOs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As someone who doesn't play MMOs and struggles to commit to a game of Sins of a Solar Empire, WoW always sounded a lot more like work than a game.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lurdiak posted:

Ah the Sega CD.

Can't be, needs to be interlaced to poo poo and in a tiny tiny window surrounded by useless graphics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

As someone who doesn't play MMOs and struggles to commit to a game of Sins of a Solar Empire, WoW always sounded a lot more like work than a game.

I last actively played around Wrath of the Lich King, but it was pretty enjoyable if you didn't get super into raiding/PVP. Just play to the level cap and move on until the next expansion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, it's basically an open world game but with a more structured approach to quests, and a lack of a fast travel mechanic (except with certain classes, for certain destinations). Fallout 3 had similar quests to the dreaded collectathons that people bitch about, like "hit 10 molerats with this stick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Mists technically met my requirement for playing WoW again; that being Horde-playable Pandas.

But :effort:

• Locked thread