Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Really dumb retcons.

as a big time diablo fan diablo 3 nearly killed my soul with all the retcons and being wrong about their own game (and just in general bad writing and overuse of cutscenes and making your hero a CHOSEN ONE). i cannot imagine if i had been so into the story of wc2/3 and what chrissy boy has done to it with wow.

oh i forgot they ruined starcraft too. primal zerg lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The origins of warcraft are humble generic fantasy. From there, Blizzard has made some steampunk high fantasy, with everything from spaceships, to killing gods.

I think a good movie can be made out of this, and I would describe that effort as courageous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tei posted:

The origins of warcraft are humble generic fantasy. From there, Blizzard has made some steampunk high fantasy, with everything from spaceships, to killing gods.

I think a good movie can be made out of this, and I would describe that effort as courageous.

The issue is that this movie will be directly corresponding to the game's story, instead of adapting it like a sane movie should.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But it's based of Warhammer which is sort of steampunk with the rattling guns and helicopters and what not. Not much God killing though. It does have sinister lizard Aztecs who are canonically God's chosen people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

warhammer was a lot cooler and also warcraft a lot cooler pre-3. i'd be on board if it was the far goofier games like wc2.

*silly orc voice* THEY'RE DESTROYING OUR CITY!!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My heart sank as I worked through the Warcraft 3 campaign, realising that they were trying for bullshit like 'nuance'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

My heart sank as I worked through the Warcraft 3 campaign, realising that they were trying for bullshit like 'nuance'

Making the orcs no longer comically stupid monsters but instead noble savages really ruined the setting for me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

On the other hand, it's funny reading someone rant that Warcraft is pro-immigration propaganda after watching the trailer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Making the orcs no longer comically stupid monsters but instead noble savages really ruined the setting for me.

I really like the Undead who kinda end up like the new orcs of Warcraft.

Which is funny because the Orcs themselves end up being the new orcs of Warcraft too.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

This, but somewhat unironically. I kinda miss the days when warcraft orcs were a slightly more serious version of warhammer orks. I just want to conquer all da frail hum' an lands and slash and burn while listening to hair metal.

And then there's the Zerg...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The issue is that this movie will be directly corresponding to the game's story, instead of adapting it like a sane movie should.

I don't really think that's the problem here. It's still a fairly traditional fantasy story all things considered, I just don't think the CGI/real actors thing works at all judging by the trailer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't really think that's the problem here. It's still a fairly traditional fantasy story all things considered, I just don't think the CGI/real actors thing works at all judging by the trailer.

Oh sure, I just meant the movie's script will be restricted heavily because of how faithfully they'll have to stick to the source material, so it probably won't be as interesting as it could be given all the crazy poo poo in the games. That's obviously nowhere near the biggest problem this movie has, though, and the bad mix of CG and actors is far worse.

OhGreatAGinger posted:

This, but somewhat unironically. I kinda miss the days when warcraft orcs were a slightly more serious version of warhammer orks. I just want to conquer all da frail hum' an lands and slash and burn while listening to hair metal.

I wasn't being ironic at all. I think making orcs into a 2-dimensional noble savage race is both incredibly boring and actually more racist than if they were just monsters. Thrall is dull as dishwater compared to Angry Narrator Orc from 2.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

On the other hand, it's funny reading someone rant that Warcraft is pro-immigration propaganda after watching the trailer.

Like you wouldn't want the guys who built a trans-dimensional portal to immigrate to your country. That's just the type of gumption any country would want in their immigrants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A couple of extremist warlocks get through and cause some mayhem, and suddenly the right wing politicians are talking about building an entire fortress to keep the orcs out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Really dumb retcons.

Warcraft is so checkered with retcons it's kind of amazing. The orcs destroyed the draenei, except for the creepy invisible ones and the guys in Actual loving Spaceships, i.e. all of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Warcraft is so checkered with retcons it's kind of amazing. The orcs destroyed the draenei, except for the creepy invisible ones and the guys in Actual loving Spaceships, i.e. all of them.

Yeah. It goes above and beyond what can be expected from someone taking "we're going to rip off warhammer" and gradually trying to spin lore out of that starting point. Metzen is just schizophrenic in his storytelling and I honestly think if that stuff was handled better over the years (IE if 90% of the lore hadn't been rewritten by this point) there might be more user retention. People do get invested in this stuff, and telling them the poo poo they did 3 expansions ago no longer happened isn't a great way to keep them interested.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. It goes above and beyond what can be expected from someone taking "we're going to rip off warhammer" and gradually trying to spin lore out of that starting point. Metzen is just schizophrenic in his storytelling and I honestly think if that stuff was handled better over the years (IE if 90% of the lore hadn't been rewritten by this point) there might be more user retention. People do get invested in this stuff, and telling them the poo poo they did 3 expansions ago no longer happened isn't a great way to keep them interested.

It's even worse in that the motivation for why major characters are doing things changes from year to year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Groovelord Neato posted:

warhammer was a lot cooler and also warcraft a lot cooler pre-3. i'd be on board if it was the far goofier games like wc2.

*silly orc voice* THEY'RE DESTROYING OUR CITY!!

There's still plenty of goofiness in WoW. Take a look at the trailer for the level 100 boost I posted for an example.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The creepy invisible guys were significantly better than the spaceship people if only because they didn't look like humans in body paint.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

The creepy invisible guys were significantly better than the spaceship people if only because they didn't look like humans in body paint.

Look man, how the gently caress were the artists supposed to make the female Draenei sexy with the old design?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

those draeni are the true draeni gently caress anyone who says diff

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

those draeni are the true draeni gently caress anyone who says diff

Why do you guys keep calling the Na'vi Draeni? I don't understand.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't think of anything worse than being invested in Warcraft canon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

I can't think of anything worse than being invested in Warcraft canon.

I agree, consume all media at arm's length.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

overuse of cutscenes

Diablo 3 doesn't have nearly enough cutscenes. Unless you count those lovely 'character talks over moving paintings or maps or poo poo' scenes. They don't count. They never have and they never will.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the cutscenes are when they have the action stop and characters talk to one another. i would've said cinematics if i meant those.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
As someone who hasn't played any Blizzard games since Warcraft 3 I have to ask what the hell you guys are referring to when you mention the Draenii. I remember them being briefly mentioned in the manual as victims of Orc genocide but I didn't realize they later became sexy invisible spaceship pilots.

I'm afraid to even ask about Diablo. A much younger and dumber version of myself enjoyed the dark gothic atmosphere of those games back before Blizzard discovered that anime was a thing.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

I'm afraid to even ask about Diablo

Diablo took over Cain's useless niece and grew demonic heels.

Draenei are just incubi/succubi that worship God The Light instead of The Devil Sargeras. And they're from space. Don't worry about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Helsing posted:

As someone who hasn't played any Blizzard games since Warcraft 3 I have to ask what the hell you guys are referring to when you mention the Draenii. I remember them being briefly mentioned in the manual as victims of Orc genocide but I didn't realize they later became sexy invisible spaceship pilots.

They were in the Frozen Throne expansion, then retcon after retcon happened to the point that it's so stupid you wouldn't even believe it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

Diablo took over Cain's useless niece and grew demonic heels.

A lovely fairy woman killed Cain, the only memorable character in the entire series, because ?????

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

A lovely fairy woman killed Cain, the only memorable character in the entire series, because ?????

whoa. hey now. Don't forget Tyrael, the iconic archangel from D2 that gets turned into a human in D3 who then does nothing but complain about being hungry every time you go back to town.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Somewhere Blizzard got the idea that anyone ever cared that much about the NPCs in Diablo 1/2, and the real reason anyone is mad about Diablo 3 is because somebody interrupts you to talk at the beginning and end of every zone. Chris Metzen once again wrote a story about the corruption of innocence (one for both the main game and the expansion). Diablo did grow heels, but people should have seen this coming after Starcraft 1 and the Queen Bitch of the Universe, a bad character that they still found a way to ruin even more much later.

Diablo 3 manages to be OK in spurts, but the initial launch of the game was a total disaster and they've put so many band-aids on it that playing story mode is now a complete waste of time in comparison to running randomized five-minute dungeons until you finally realize you are wasting your life.

Basically there has not been anything good coming out of Blizzard since about 1998.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I miss the Lost Vikings.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Queen of Blades was the best part of Starcraft.
Except maybe that short Aliens level.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Queen of Blades is a strange title for someone who never, so far as I can tell, was ever seen holding or using a blade. I guess that "Queen of Weird Boney Spines" doesn't quite have the same cachet though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Somewhere Blizzard got the idea that anyone ever cared that much about the NPCs in Diablo 1/2, and the real reason anyone is mad about Diablo 3 is because somebody interrupts you to talk at the beginning and end of every zone. Chris Metzen once again wrote a story about the corruption of innocence (one for both the main game and the expansion). Diablo did grow heels, but people should have seen this coming after Starcraft 1 and the Queen Bitch of the Universe, a bad character that they still found a way to ruin even more much later.

Diablo 3 manages to be OK in spurts, but the initial launch of the game was a total disaster and they've put so many band-aids on it that playing story mode is now a complete waste of time in comparison to running randomized five-minute dungeons until you finally realize you are wasting your life.

Basically there has not been anything good coming out of Blizzard since about 1998.

Diablo 3's biggest sin is that it isn't fun to play, and all it's super-flashy effects make it a pain in the rear end to play in multiplayer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i really liked diablo 2's story because it wasn't about you (video game stories are pretty much only ever good when they aren't about the player character and/or happen around him) and it's the one time they ever had a good twist that wasn't telegraphed to hell and back. plus the gameplay itself was a lot better. christ i spent way too much time playing 1 and 2...3's probably my biggest regret ever buying or playing a vidya game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone better than me really needs to do a thorough analysis of why Diablo 3 is so bad. I really wish I could put into words what makes it so unfun but I just can't and want someone else to completely break that game down and show just exactly what they did wrong with it so I can go "YES! YES THIS IS loving WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Someone better than me really needs to do a thorough analysis of why Diablo 3 is so bad. I really wish I could put into words what makes it so unfun but I just can't and want someone else to completely break that game down and show just exactly what they did wrong with it so I can go "YES! YES THIS IS loving WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT!"

this was me expending way too much effort (and i probably coulda gone step by step if i wanted to) on release http://pastebin.com/Dsi1fRzs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Probably the only really good thing about Diablo 3's gameplay is that a new item can fundamentally change the way you play the game and make other items you have in your storage suddenly more interesting. It's a next-generation ARPG that doesn't think that you should be punished for wanting to adjust your character on the fly.

In practice, however, the game is about collecting the 1 or 2 sets for your class that will give you 1,000-2,000 times the DPS of anything else you could possibly find. End game items are really poorly balanced against each other. If the game got away from power sets and let you do upgrade items the way you can end-game gems, it would be significantly better. Also if the end game had quantifiable objectives and carried any sense of accomplishment.

This is starting to get into vidya games posting and not movie posting, which maybe matters even though everyone posting in the thread is also posting in the Blizz forum.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 24, 2015

• Locked thread