Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Every time this thread gets bumped I think about how amazingly awful this movie was and all the insanely devoted nerds online insisting it needs a sequel and I simultaneously laugh and get depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I assume they're going to pick up where the first left off but I think they really should just skip ahead to the Arthas story.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They are going to make it all about Thrall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Good, the orcs were the only good thing about the movie.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I assume they're going to pick up where the first left off but I think they really should just skip ahead to the Arthas story.

I assume this is because you like that story. You watched the Warcraft movie and thought to yourself "boy I sure hope the guys who made this get their hands on another fond memory of mine."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Have someone bust into the court and go "Hey, king bro, we found a new landmass! And you'll never believe who lives there!" Cue ching chong chinaman music and make the movie a buddy movie about an Orc and Pandaman mining for ore in Pandaria.

Then at the end of the movie the same guy from the beginning is all "You'll never believe it King, we found another new landmass, and you'll never believe what's going on there!" Then everyone mugs at the camera, then freeze-frame on the words "Gul'Dan will return in.... You Only Res Twice."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You mean Pandaman music. Humans can only be white people now in wow.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Vintersorg posted:

Good, the orcs were the only good thing about the movie.

Agreed. Aesthetically and narratively. Outside of them, we have a candy-colored Lord of the Rings where nobody is over 35 and there is no plot resonance at all.

I especially hate the Warcraft 3-and-later house art style Blizzard adopted, though. Everything is bulbous and round and ill-proportioned, nothing looks textured or lived-in at all. There's poo poo glowing for no reason, protruding horns and spikes jutting out everywhere, those huge goddamn pauldrons...in 2001, I wouldn't have called the aesthetic of old Diablo games "restrained," but comparatively it was and I miss when Blizzard did that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Those halcyon days

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It really irked me how many times they word guardian was said in this movie.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

You mean Pandaman music. Humans can only be white people now in wow.

I had a black mage in wow

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Give me the movie remix of this or bust.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Deakul posted:

I always assumed that worldwide sales never amounted to much and they focused primarily on the domestic box office?

That was the logic up until about 7-8 years ago, now just about every blockbuster is trying to get a piece of the burgeoning Chinese market. Even if they're only getting like 15 cents on the dollar an extra $45 million is nothing to turn down.

The original was also co-financed by a Chinese company that, if the rumors are true, used the revenue reporting from the movie for extra legal shenanigans. If the Chinese revenue numbers are correct then a particular city that was showing the movie sold at least 46 tickets per showing every day for a week. During a week when most of the city was evacuated due to massive flooding.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Comrayn posted:

Every time this thread gets bumped I think about how amazingly awful this movie was and all the insanely devoted nerds online insisting it needs a sequel and I simultaneously laugh and get depressed.

I still can't believe how bad Duncan Jones hosed this up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think the movie turned out alright. Not great, but probably the modern day equivalent of one of those cheap, goofy sword-and-sorcery movies like Beastmaster. That's probably better than we had any right to hope for, given the clusterfuck that is Warcraft lore.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It would have been significantly better if it was entirely CGI, the humans and that half breed chick were the absolute worst parts of the movie for me.

Their costumes were especially awful with how cheap they looked and they all just had the acting ability of cos players at a con putting on a show.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lothar is just incredible miscasting, I've heard he's fine in other stuff though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

Lothar is just incredible miscasting, I've heard he's fine in other stuff though.

He was fantastic, though. Totally wrong for the role, but unintentionally hilarious. Half the fun of Warcraft was watching his inappropriate facial expressions.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

RedSpider posted:

I still can't believe how bad Duncan Jones hosed this up.

On the contrary he captured Metzen's haphazard fanasty melange writing quite perfectly.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's crazy how bad the human stuff is, but somehow I thought the orc business was all...kinda good? Like legit pretty well executed and put together. I feel weird saying that because treating a movie in a non-gestalt way feels intellectually unsatisfying but...I maintain this is true nontheless. Cut the humans!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I liked seeing all the zones, they went over a bunch of them. Lame lightning walls never have been seen in wow.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought the human stuff worked when it was Lothar or Medivh or Garona goofing on Khadgar. Any time the plot required actual, serious drama from the live, human actors is when it all fell apart. Dominic Cooper in particular had a kind of "What the hell am I saying? What is this stupid movie about?!?" attitude about him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should just do a full cgi movie and say gently caress the actors. They barely used the star from Vikings. Do we really need to see him die on a mountain in the next movie to complete the lore just because the current king was named after him?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xealot posted:

Agreed. Aesthetically and narratively. Outside of them, we have a candy-colored Lord of the Rings where nobody is over 35 and there is no plot resonance at all.

I especially hate the Warcraft 3-and-later house art style Blizzard adopted, though. Everything is bulbous and round and ill-proportioned, nothing looks textured or lived-in at all. There's poo poo glowing for no reason, protruding horns and spikes jutting out everywhere, those huge goddamn pauldrons...in 2001, I wouldn't have called the aesthetic of old Diablo games "restrained," but comparatively it was and I miss when Blizzard did that.

I liked the goofy cartoon look of everything and the effects. The problem was that the story was generally really boring. The best scene by far is a deleted dvd bonus one, where Lothar gets Garona to beat him up cuz he feels guilty about not feeling very guilty over his dead failson. Then they get turned on and make out. It's really great, the movie proper could have used more of that weirdness.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 9, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Tenzarin posted:

They should just do a full cgi movie and say gently caress the actors.

A million times this. I do wonder why didn't try this anyway? Or make a campy netflix series and be done with it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The guy that played Lothar was hilarious. I'm not even sure he knew what the movie was. He looks super hosed up through the whole thing and he is doing some weird accent that is not even close to what the other actors are going for.

Reminds me of Danny Glover's insanity in Predator 2.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think they watched Vikings where he was great in and just said, do the Vikings voice for the whole movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UmOk posted:

The guy that played Lothar was hilarious. I'm not even sure he knew what the movie was. He looks super hosed up through the whole thing and he is doing some weird accent that is not even close to what the other actors are going for.

Reminds me of Danny Glover's insanity in Predator 2.

I would like a gif of him telling Medivh to calm down and stop being insane while he is lit by green funhouse lighting.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729KOrUvUC4

Medivh's line delivery here is insane. And I like Ben Foster, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
See? The part where Lothar goes to help Khadgar up then straight disses him? Hilarious. Movie needed more stuff like that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phylodox posted:

See? The part where Lothar goes to help Khadgar up then straight disses him? Hilarious. Movie needed more stuff like that.

Just noticed that too. Wtf. I think this movie might be good.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I deeply hate Khadgar's facial hair.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Tender Bender posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729KOrUvUC4

Medivh's line delivery here is insane. And I like Ben Foster, too.

Ben Foster has the funniest parts in the gag reel.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Azubah posted:

It really irked me how many times they word guardian was said in this movie.

I just watched the clip above and one other and they've said guardian at least 10 times in 3-4 minutes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xealot posted:

i like how a dummy immediately responded to this very correct post.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
movie was fine, and hilarious at parts. duncan definitely did the best he could

stuff like the makgora was really good too, basically a straight up wwe match, gul'dan was a perfect heel

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Tenzarin posted:

I think they watched Vikings where he was great in and just said, do the Vikings voice for the whole movie.

I thought this was going to be a good thing when I heard he was cast in this movie; but it was not a good thing at all :(

Cut out Lothar's son, cut out the wizard in the box, cut out Garona's parentage backstory, movie would've been better.

I am really curious to watch the Assassin's Creed movie, but after this videogame movie, I'm not sure I want the disappointment. If I thought Warcraft was PRETTY BAD, how does the Assassin's Creed movie compare?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PlushCow posted:

I thought this was going to be a good thing when I heard he was cast in this movie; but it was not a good thing at all :(

No, it was the best thing! Lothar went from being a bog standard stoic fantasy hero to being a literally insane, barely restrained maniac. His facial expressions are, like, 40% of why the movie is even as good as it is!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

movie was fine, and hilarious at parts. duncan definitely did the best he could

stuff like the makgora was really good too, basically a straight up wwe match, gul'dan was a perfect heel

I hope I can be a writer and director on a big ol stinker with horrible dialog and delivery and everyone will say I "did the best I could".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PlushCow posted:

I am really curious to watch the Assassin's Creed movie, but after this videogame movie, I'm not sure I want the disappointment. If I thought Warcraft was PRETTY BAD, how does the Assassin's Creed movie compare?

The AssCreed movie's biggest crime is that it's just so loving boring and they focus HEAVILY on the modern day poo poo more than the Animus poo poo(which makes up approx 20 mins of the entire film).

• Locked thread