Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Do they even pretend it's America? Aside from changing what I assume was yen to dollars I didn't notice anything especially American so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Do they even pretend it's America? Aside from changing what I assume was yen to dollars I didn't notice anything especially American so far.

The fact that the characters and the town itself are renamed, I guess. The town is "Sakura City" originally, so it's not even an especially confusing name to keep as is if they wanted to say it's still Japan.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't know what you mean by "do anything" but i think they've mostly left super japanese stuff alone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inflammatory posted:

i don't know what you mean by "do anything" but i think they've mostly left super japanese stuff alone.

Yeah. The town is still clearly a Japanese town, with vending machines goddamn everywhere and, so far as I've gone into the game, both Buddhist and Shinto temples. Much of the food is your standard Japanese rice balls and stuff. Most of the localization changes were, I think, just intended to make some things like names and prices more understandable for the target audience of like grade school kids who don't know any Japanese.

In particular, I'm impressed that there are actual, decimal dollars and cents in the currency system; I'm assuming it was originally all yen, which means that they had to go through and change all the price lists and drop amounts.

The localization of the anime is guilty of way more kids' anime sins than the game is; at one point Nate tries to distract somebody by offering him some "scones" that are clearly actually mochi, with the toothpicks and everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm trying to get this noko to drop its fusion item. My team is going to be way over levelled by the time it happens. I've managed to evolve most of the level evolving yokai during this time except for Komajiro, who I'm working on now, and Komasan, Droplette and Walkappa who I don't have yet. And Roughraff who I fused with my Jibanyan and haven't bothered to replace yet :shepface: my shmoopie is level 30 and basically just full heals anyone if they're slightly hurt while Baddinyan deals over a hundred damage a punch.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yo-kai watch is modern Japan, but not the fake one focused on Otaku to help them self insert. I currently have a plum rice ball and a leaf rice ball in my inventory along with dried mackerel. The watch is obtained through a Yo-kai in a gacha machine behind a local shrine and the next area over has a temple and hot springs.

The town names were changed. Springdale at least is known as Sakura Nyuu Taun in Japan.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The five-star coin from that "Thank you" password got me Shadow Venoct, so I guess I don't need to farm Light-Blue coins anymore. I wonder how good he is...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So how do you determine what coin gives you what in return? Because for me it's been pretty random at best.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Alxprit posted:

The five-star coin from that "Thank you" password got me Shadow Venoct, so I guess I don't need to farm Light-Blue coins anymore. I wonder how good he is...

i got sheen.

i already had sheen.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Alxprit posted:

I got him today as well. So far so good (I'm not far).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

i got sheen.

i already had sheen.

Don't save after a bad coin use, reload and wait until tomorrow to try again?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Nuebot posted:

Don't save after a bad coin use, reload and wait until tomorrow to try again?

From the OP:
"The results you get from this machine are not able to be influenced by saving and reloading. Your rewards are determined as soon as you make a new save file and never ever change. "

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

So basically just keep feeding it coins until the sun explodes and we all die.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Silver Snail posted:

From the OP:
"The results you get from this machine are not able to be influenced by saving and reloading. Your rewards are determined as soon as you make a new save file and never ever change. "

Is it? Gamefaqs swears by the whole reloading and not using that coin thing.

EDIT: I've been taking pictures of faces for like an hour now and can't find a "black yokai" even though several of them have looked black or dark grey to me.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 12, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i took one picture of myself and it told me to stop eating so much. i don't think i'm going to use it anymore. i don't need sass from a video game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Is it? Gamefaqs swears by the whole reloading and not using that coin thing.

EDIT: I've been taking pictures of faces for like an hour now and can't find a "black yokai" even though several of them have looked black or dark grey to me.

It's kind of weird how it does that. Hungramps counted as a "pink yokai" even though it had lots of other ones with hot pink accents and parts.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inflammatory posted:

i took one picture of myself and it told me to stop eating so much. i don't think i'm going to use it anymore. i don't need sass from a video game.

I took one of my roommate and got either Tattletell or her upgrade (Tattleyell? idk) and it said "nobody is louder than you!" This is on par with telling a female to stop eating so much.

Neeksy posted:

So how do you determine what coin gives you what in return? Because for me it's been pretty random at best.

Here's a link that says what you can get from each coin type.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I ended up with the Cruncha for my special coin. Its ability prevents loafing so suddenly my team got more efficient.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I finally got it. Awevil who isn't half as black as some of the other yokai I got pictures of. Also I snapped a picture of ribguy in the AUG thread for it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I got a Holy Exorb out of the crank-a-kai. Worth 20k XP. I haven't bothered using these things yet. I keep thinking there's going to be some point down the road where I'll really want to and there probably wont be, but that's sorta usually the way of things in Level 5 RPGs

I'm surprised at a couple of the reviews I've read complaining about the capture rate in the game. One said that they'd only grabbed 49 in about 30 hours play time, but I'm already at 42 with half the hours invested. It doesn't seem that irregular to me?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I suggest saving your big Exporbs for Legendary Yo-kai or good ones from the crank machine, since they all start at level 1.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nuebot posted:

I finally got it. Awevil who isn't half as black as some of the other yokai I got pictures of. Also I snapped a picture of ribguy in the AUG thread for it.

Finally got one from Obama. Thanks, Obama.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fix posted:

I got a Holy Exorb out of the crank-a-kai. Worth 20k XP. I haven't bothered using these things yet. I keep thinking there's going to be some point down the road where I'll really want to and there probably wont be, but that's sorta usually the way of things in Level 5 RPGs

I'm surprised at a couple of the reviews I've read complaining about the capture rate in the game. One said that they'd only grabbed 49 in about 30 hours play time, but I'm already at 42 with half the hours invested. It doesn't seem that irregular to me?

You'll find something really cool you like eventually and then you can dump all your orbs in its mouth.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to get this noko to drop its fusion item. My team is going to be way over levelled by the time it happens. I've managed to evolve most of the level evolving yokai during this time except for Komajiro, who I'm working on now, and Komasan, Droplette and Walkappa who I don't have yet. And Roughraff who I fused with my Jibanyan and haven't bothered to replace yet :shepface: my shmoopie is level 30 and basically just full heals anyone if they're slightly hurt while Baddinyan deals over a hundred damage a punch.

There are Yo-Kai that increase drop rate, so if you are looking for that item you should find one of those Yo-Kai first.

There's probably more than one, but the most common on is Wantston

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 12, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've been using wantson. My luck is just whack, I've gotten like five nokos to join me though.

EDIT: I got "Hidden Hits" from my five star coin and a silver doll from my excitement coin. This loving game :negative:.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 12, 2015

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nuebot posted:

I've been using wantson. My luck is just whack, I've gotten like five nokos to join me though.

EDIT: I got "Hidden Hits" from my five star coin and a silver doll from my excitement coin. This loving game :negative:.

I think I got literally the same two things. Suffering buddies! :shepicide:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
someone please share the secrets of catching rare bugs/fish with me, this is literally hell.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Inflammatory posted:

someone please share the secrets of catching rare bugs/fish with me, this is literally hell.

There's no real secret. Just a) always use all five Black Syrups/Fish Bait cause that might reveal a rare marker that wasn't there before and b) try to hit the marker right on the mark, and hope that it's one of the few times where the marker lands exactly where you hit A.

While I'm on this topic, what is the bug I need for the General's Soul in Jungle Hunter? I've looked everywhere and I haven't found a bug, even a common one, that matches that sprite.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
here is a list of all the bugs and fish and where they can be found. pretty sure you're looking for a dorcus stag, which can be found in trees and tall grass in wildwood at night.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alxprit posted:

There's no real secret. Just a) always use all five Black Syrups/Fish Bait cause that might reveal a rare marker that wasn't there before and b) try to hit the marker right on the mark, and hope that it's one of the few times where the marker lands exactly where you hit A.

While I'm on this topic, what is the bug I need for the General's Soul in Jungle Hunter? I've looked everywhere and I haven't found a bug, even a common one, that matches that sprite.

According to guide, you have to have beaten the game, and trade 2 rare Dorcus Stags (ya dingus) ("found rarely in the trees of Mt. Wildwood, in spots where there is a lot of greenery") and 3 rare Marlins ("rarely during the day at Rolling Waves park beach")

Are you trying to fuse a Beetall? Apparently, you can also find him in the trees near the fish store at night (that is, if "Fish Place" is the name of the fish store.) Up to you!

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

enojy posted:

According to guide, you have to have beaten the game, and trade 2 rare Dorcus Stags (ya dingus) ("found rarely in the trees of Mt. Wildwood, in spots where there is a lot of greenery") and 3 rare Marlins ("rarely during the day at Rolling Waves park beach")

Are you trying to fuse a Beetall? Apparently, you can also find him in the trees near the fish store at night (that is, if "Fish Place" is the name of the fish store.) Up to you!

I've had a Beetler in my party for a long time, and I'm proud of him and want to make him stronger. I feel like hunting down the bugs and fish I need for it will be LESS frustrating then trying to get his big boy version to join my party.

Also, AT NIGHT, are you kidding me? Guh. I knew where Marlins were, at least... Well, at least it's only a matter of time and Syrup.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I'm sure I'm nowhere near as far into the game as most of you. Just got to that pig boss with the stolen underwear, and with my level ~10ish, 11ish team members, I got hosed up pretty promptly. Purifying one guy meant another got killed, resurrecting that guy turned into two more of the fresh guys I dialed in getting killed, etc. So, I'm doing the proper reaction I have had since messing around in Pokemon- grind the team up into a proper hard group of pipe hitting freaks, and beat the poo poo out of it later on.
It's my first time getting to the night time anyway, and I feel compelled to take a relaxing moment to try to hunt bugs. I loathe the minigame for it, there doesn't seem any rhyme or reason to reliably controlling where the pointer will end up. I've had it slide two or three segments past where I know I hit the button, sometimes a couple segments back. Hitting it on the sixth revolution has seemed to be the most reliable, but that just might be confirmation bias.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The bug/fish catching minigame is broken IMO. Sometimes it lands where you push the button, sometimes it doesn't. The arrow blinks red when you push the button, so you can get some idea of where you pushed it, but I've had it land like 180 degrees around the circle from where it blinked red. I just got into the habit of spamming the black jelly item the few times I had to fish or catch bugs.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

enojy posted:

The bug/fish catching minigame is broken IMO. Sometimes it lands where you push the button, sometimes it doesn't. The arrow blinks red when you push the button, so you can get some idea of where you pushed it, but I've had it land like 180 degrees around the circle from where it blinked red. I just got into the habit of spamming the black jelly item the few times I had to fish or catch bugs.

Yeah, it pisses me off. But, just a moment before posting this, the game just decided to give me a rare sawtooth stag- the pointer went about five or six pixels past the red 'rare' cursor, and the game decided 'gently caress it naw you get it' and pushed the pointer back onto it. RNG is a fickle mistress.

Another thing I wanted to add that could be useful- foremost, save and save often! If you're bug- or yokai-hunting, do it after every catch.
Quitting back to title and reloading seems to re-seed the environmental spawn points for both bugs and wild yokai. It's probably a cheese exploit, but it's worked for me more often than not.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

5er posted:

Yeah, it pisses me off. But, just a moment before posting this, the game just decided to give me a rare sawtooth stag- the pointer went about five or six pixels past the red 'rare' cursor, and the game decided 'gently caress it naw you get it' and pushed the pointer back onto it. RNG is a fickle mistress.

Another thing I wanted to add that could be useful- foremost, save and save often! If you're bug- or yokai-hunting, do it after every catch.
Quitting back to title and reloading seems to re-seed the environmental spawn points for both bugs and wild yokai. It's probably a cheese exploit, but it's worked for me more often than not.

I was wondering about the best way to re-seed an environment. Unless you're nearby the entrance/exit to another part of the town, it's really annoying to have to go long lengths to get things to spawn at all.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Do I need all this cash for anything? Kid's walking around town with like 2 grand on him and a bunch of stuff to sell, but I see no reason to do so because I never need money for anything.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

You don't really need to spend any real money until post-game, and/or you go all in on gotta catch em all. In either case, you're really just spending 90% of your money on the highest quality food. If you go into the harder boss fights just straddling the line and you aren't grossly overleveled (or underleveled,) you're in for like 30-minute fights and tons of item usage just to stay afloat.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 13, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

enojy posted:

You don't really need to spend any real money until post-game

That kinda seems like a bad design. I mean, give me something to spend these thousands of dollars my ten-year-old self is carrying around while smashing ghosts. Buying top-dollar hamburgers to hunt one dude is a pretty bad justification for having currency at all.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 13, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Fix posted:

That kinda seems like a bad design. I mean, give me something to spend these thousands of dollars my ten-year-old self is carrying around while smashing ghosts. Buying top-dollar hamburgers to hunt one dude is a pretty bad justification for having currency at all.

Well, there's a whole bunch of different kinds of foods to get... but yeah, I think this game suffers from nothing-to-spend-money-on syndrome. After you beat the game you can buy the books that power up your Attacks, Spirits, and Soultimates at the bookstore, or perhaps more expensive Large Exporbs at the night store "Whatta Find". I think those are the best use of money, once you have a bunch of each food (and 99 Nom Burgers and 99 Everything Ramen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alxprit posted:

Well, there's a whole bunch of different kinds of foods to get... but yeah, I think this game suffers from nothing-to-spend-money-on syndrome. After you beat the game you can buy the books that power up your Attacks, Spirits, and Soultimates at the bookstore, or perhaps more expensive Large Exporbs at the night store "Whatta Find". I think those are the best use of money, once you have a bunch of each food (and 99 Nom Burgers and 99 Everything Ramen).

Toward the beginning of the game, I was kind of frustrated with how broke I was, and all the Yokai encounters were dropping like 60 cents. Then, a few chapters in, I looked at my menu screen and realized I had $300.

Nate could totally drop out of school right now and make a pretty legit living just being a spirit medium :staredog:

• Locked thread