Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
:allears: Zer0 surfing on the hood of that Hyperion car, August having a hidden soft spot for giant robots, Cassius providing hadoken lasers...

This fight is so good no matter who you bring.

August in particular I like in the ending. I feel like it rounds him out a little bit to 'jerk with a good heart' status and finishes off that little arc that started with him turning on Finch and Kroger up on Helios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
A shame Cassius didn't scream KAMEHAMEHA!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

I know Kaubocks did this game because of his love of Borderlands but I would love to see him play through Wolf Among Us. He has an excellent sense of LP style and editing.
Aw, shucks. Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately, while I do enjoy The Wolf Among Us, I have not read a single issue of Fables and know jack poo poo of the overarching lore. Not really sure what I'd be able to talk about to sustain a whole LP in that case.

Crasical posted:

...I think I recognize that huge alien skull that the bandit buggy drives past during the 'recruiting Zero' thing. I feel like I've driven past it once or twice.

I wonder if that's an actual location from a game that they're referencing or if it's just a recognizable prop they re-used.
As Speedball mentioned, enormous creature/alien remains/skeletons have been around since the first Borderlands:

The one in particular you're talking about looks very familiar to one used in Borderlands 2, however. You enter through the mouth of such a skeleton near the beginning of the game on your way to set up one of Scooter's Catch-a-Ride stations!

(bonus image: an extremely big skeleton)

Heck there's even one in Claptrap's subconscious in the DLC for The Pre-Sequel:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

Heck there's even one in Claptrap's subconscious in the DLC for The Pre-Sequel:

omg were u grinding w/ my son jimothy without me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

omg were u grinding w/ my son jimothy without me

no I promise I set it to normal vault hunter so I'd get poo poo dick for experience and just ran through without killing a single soul, for our gentle boy timothy lawrence and his exploding face is incapable of harming even a fly

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hello friends I'm back with... like a semi-update? Not a video, but still stuff y'all might be interested in nonetheless. You see, when Rhys is walking through the wreckage of Helios before his final confrontation with Jack, there's actually several objects in the area you can scan. It's just something I opted not to do to keep the video going at a decent pace. It's ok though because I have the echo eye entries here ready to share with you!!

First we have a poster for Opportunity. Opportunity was a Hyperion city being built on Pandora as part of Borderlands 2. Jack envisioned the city as being the start of a new beginning for Pandora, eventually expanding into several more cities under his rule. Obviously you end up going there and wreck up the place by destroying a bunch of things and killing Jack's doppelganger.

noooo I like hyperion smgs :(
Blake is someone maybe someone else will have more knowledge about than me? He only shows up I think once in Borderlands 2 but my understanding is he's a major character in the Claptrap's Robot Revolution DLC for the first Borderlands which I've never played. At the very least we know who was ruling Helios in Jake's wake.

More Opportunity stuff.

In Borderlands 2 there will be some enemies with treasure chests attached to them like backpacks. For example, Goliaths become Loot Goliaths. The loader variant is just a gun locker with legs-- LWT Loaders!

...so I don't want to type too much about this because... well for one, it's a garbage can, but also because I have things to say about it in this second bonus video I'd like to work on. I will just say that this trash can, due to the contents, is extremely suspect. Were there only pimentaco (pimento taco) wrappers it would simply be a referential joke to a line in Borderlands 2. If there was just a Mechromancer class mod it could be a wink and nudge about how rare items are often found in ridiculous places like port-a-potties. It's the grenade encased in a plush rabbit that's throwing me off about this. There's really only one character this could be a reference to: Tiny Tina, the teenage-girl demolitions expert who works with Vault Hunters. Perhaps Rhys was not alone in bringing down Helios. Well I mean he himself was alone but there may have been other crap going down alongside him.

I kinda wish there were more things you could hack with your echo eye than just the car. It was a good sequence but never really amounted to much beyond that.

not only did we shoot a diamond pony, we shot a diamond pony who was in a depression coma

This quick-change station must have been installed sometime during Borderlands 2 because I don't remember there being one around Jack's office in The Pre-Sequel at all!! :mad:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 7, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blake has a few off-screen cameos in Borderlands 2; on occasion Jack will yell at him to fetch him something like a violin. Blake also warned T.K. Baha (one early questgiver for BL1) about assassins that were coming to get him so he could flee to Pandora and was a quest-giver in the Claptrap Robot Revolution. Unlike everyone else at Hyperion, he didn't actually screw you over. I'd hesitate to call him good but at least he's not an rear end in a top hat like Jack.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I wonder if Butt Stallion is dead.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hostile V posted:

I wonder if Butt Stallion is dead.

Yes, Fiona is a monster.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, Fiona is a monster.
I mean she was gonna die in the crash anyway so did the crash kill her.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Borderlands 3 better have a knight PC riding Butt Stallion.

Gearbox, I'll take my cut of the profits in the form of unique, one-of-a-kind guns and also beanie babies. TIA

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, Fiona is a monster.

Rhys was the one responsible for her death. All Fiona did was make her spill out strawberry jam. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Must be a pretty drat good pistol to shoot through a diamond horse though.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Speedball posted:

Must be a pretty drat good pistol to shoot through a diamond horse though.

Actually, I'd pretty much expect a diamond that got shot to break in some fashion.

They're more brittle than their reputation suggests.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kaubocks posted:

Blake is someone maybe someone else will have more knowledge about than me? He only shows up I think once in Borderlands 2 but my understanding is he's a major character in the Claptrap's Robot Revolution DLC for the first Borderlands which I've never played. At the very least we know who was ruling Helios in Jake's wake.

Blake is Jack's toady underling that he consistently forgets the name of. He appears in the background of a number of ECHO recordings, mostly ones related to Jack's past, as well as in the foreground of a an ECHO recording to T.K. Baha, like Speedball mentioned. He's a bit of a slimeball and he's kind of a dick but he's also a calm head that won't kill anyone if he doesn't have to. That said, he's borne witness to a number of Jack's murders and seemed indifferent to all of them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hello friends! It's been a while since my last video, hasn't it? That's because this next video took me a long time to make. Like, for real, it might be the most work I've put into any video yet.

"But wait," I hear you asking. "What's there to put that much work into? The LP is over!" Well, while the LP is over the Borderlands franchise isn't and it's been confirmed that Borderlands 3 is in active development. Since Tales from the Borderlands' story was so good it actually made me care about the overarching plot of the rest of the Borderlands games. Because of this, I wanted to attempt to guess where the story of the next Borderlands game could go when taking into consideration what unresolved events have occurred and what characters are still around. I've compiled my speculation in my final video:

I really hope you enjoy! I'm not lying when I say I put a ton of work into this!! It's maybe not visually astonishing 100% of the time but boy howdy let me tell you how time consuming it is grabbing clips from four different games.

Anyway... Do you agree with anything I've said? Disagree? Let me know! Let's figure this out together. :)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
As much as it might be nice for Gortys to just have a happily ever after with LB, and not risk Gearbox ruining her cuteness, I would still really love it if she could show up again while still retaining that innocence. There's a bit about halfway through Chapter 3 where Rhys remarks on just how refreshing it is to have someone being completely genuine in the middle of all the death and craziness and sarcasm, and I think the Telltale writers hit the nail on the head there. Now, maybe it doesn't have to be Gortys specifically they do this with, but I would dearly love someone in the next Borderlands game to be not a dick and not insane, to give us a breath of fresh air when everyone else being one or the other (and an unfortunate amount being both) starts getting a little much.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Gentlemen, one word: BorderKarts.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was a nice video and I certainly appreciate your effort.
But obviously the new game will be Borderlandgrab: prior to the prequel of the Presequel. It's a financial mining simulator. You're playing Dahl and want to extract Pandoras riches as cheaply as possible, before eventually jumping on to dozens of other planets, which end up just as bad.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 20, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if borderlands 3 is Yet Another Prequel I will lose my goddamn mind

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Borderland series is gonna go the way of Kingdom Hearts, by which i mean Borderlands 3 will never come out

Do you even know how many Kingdom Hearts games came out between KH2 and KH3

like 15

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They should do both the next entry and a prequel at once through the wonders of time travel!
Borderlands 3:turn to the past

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HenryEx posted:

The Borderland series is gonna go the way of Kingdom Hearts, by which i mean Borderlands 3 will never come out

Do you even know how many Kingdom Hearts games came out between KH2 and KH3

like 15

First paragraph of the Wikipedia page posted:

Kingdom Hearts III (Japanese: キングダム ハーツIII Hepburn: Kingudamu Hātsu Surī?) is an upcoming action role-playing game developed and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It is the eleventh installment in the Kingdom Hearts series and the final chapter in the Dark Seeker saga.

So technically it's only been like 7. But there is no way that game wont be convoluted and completely incomprehensible. Other game series have convoluted meta plots too, but not even anything Assassins Creed throws at you could top that.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

if borderlands 3 is Yet Another Prequel I will lose my goddamn mind
Like Recettear but it's about Marcus starting his first gun store.

Borderland 3 thoughts: Lilith slips into full evil and decides to start bringing unopened vaults under her total control for a good cause. A fourth type of Siren shows up because why not. It turns out the Sirens are the Chosen Ones and the Vault Hunters are their knights and Lilith's buddies start to question their cause. Ultimately it turns out the Eridians were using the Hunters to clean up their own mess and turn on them, either setting up for 4 or making the Hunters sic a bunch of monsters on them to beat them back then set up for 4.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It was interesting to hear you mirroring some of my own thoughts during this, particularly the self-centered "I'm the hero of this story" behavior that Lilith has been exhibiting + The difficulties writing for Krieg once he's out of the player's hands.

Kaubocks, anyone else who wants to chime in, what's your take on Borderlands actual chances going forward as a series? Gearbox doesn't seem to be rolling so hot, lately, with big mega-title Battleborn getting 'Okay but not great' reviews. After the juggernaut that Borderlands 2 was, TPS only had enough momentum for a single DLC pack.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Battleborn is basically a flop. The player counts have dropped below the bomb that was Battlefield Hardline already

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Battleborn also had the bad luck of coming out pretty much the same time as Overwatch.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
One character you didn't have any predictions on: Patricia Tannis. She's been a reasonably prominent npc in the series, I'd be surprised if they don't keep her around.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Crasical posted:

Kaubocks, anyone else who wants to chime in, what's your take on Borderlands actual chances going forward as a series? Gearbox doesn't seem to be rolling so hot, lately, with big mega-title Battleborn getting 'Okay but not great' reviews. After the juggernaut that Borderlands 2 was, TPS only had enough momentum for a single DLC pack.

I mean we'll see what happens but they've made it clear the game is in production. They said they were in prepro and hiring for it back umm I think in like January 2015? My guess is we might see something at e3 in a few weeks.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

One character you didn't have any predictions on: Patricia Tannis. She's been a reasonably prominent npc in the series, I'd be surprised if they don't keep her around.

lmao what the hell about her though. what participation did she even have in bl2's story other than to stand around near the loot washing machines and have really bad quest dialogue

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Battleborn also had the bad luck of coming out pretty much the same time as Overwatch.

I think there's someone at Blizzard who really hates Gearbox. Battleborn launch date and beta dates were announced before anything Overwatch related and Overwatch kind of encroached on that. Not that I like Battleborn-- I think it looks dull as poo poo and Overwatch is jolly good fun. That being said boy howdy did Battleborn get utterly destroyed.

Crasical posted:

Borderlands is kind of all Gearbox has going for them. Duke Nukem sucked. Colonial Marines sucked. Borderlands 2 turned off a few fans but gained more than they lost. There are some people who are going to be looking at Borderlands 3 and hope it brings back more of the dark, subtle atmosphere of Borderlands 1 but I think they'd be kind of crazy to do that. Borderlands 2 has a fervent fanbase. There's 6,500 people playing it on Steam right now and it hit almost 8,000 earlier today. That's pretty good considering it came out over three years ago. That places it well within the top 50 most actively played games on Steam.

Pre-Sequel didn't do so hot but to me that game reeks as a stop-gap game. It's like they developed it intending it to just hold people's attention while they worked on the next main game but oops they worked on Battleborn instead and even then that game came probably 2-3 years late to the MOBA party. Pre-Sequel was developed by 2K Australia rather than Gearbox Software itself so its failures could possibly be attributed them not giving that game as much attention as they would one of their own.

I think Gearbox totally has the capability to make Borderlands 3 great or at least they need to. People do not look currently look at them in a positive light with their long string of failures. If they look to where Borderlands 2 succeeded over 1 and improve on the things that still need improving while keeping up the overwhelming amount of content (there's so much poo poo to do in BL2 it's kind of unreal) then I think they'll do fine. But as I said, all hands have to be on deck for this one because they do not have any wiggle room for failure.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Tannis has Plot Stuff going on but mostly she just wants to fall in love with and gently caress inanimate objects.

I'm interested in 3's release but you have to remember that the series is Randy Pitchforks/Gearbox's baby. And while that's not always enough to justify making a new game, not all game companies make the best decisions in pursuit of their prized creation (case in point, the whole kerfuffle of Gearbox allegedly slashing the focus on Aliens: Colonial Marines for Borderland's benefit). I think they'll keep it coming until the reviews start becoming less than positive-neutral and it's no longer viable for them to continue. Also if they do Tales From Season 2, dear god keep the team from Walking Dead 2 the gently caress away from Tales.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Tannis has Plot Stuff going on but mostly she just wants to fall in love with and gently caress inanimate objects.

Poor brave Clork. :911:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They interrogated Tannis by killing her favorite chair!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

Borderland 3 thoughts: Lilith slips into full evil and decides to start bringing unopened vaults under her total control for a good cause. A fourth type of Siren shows up because why not. It turns out the Sirens are the Chosen Ones and the Vault Hunters are their knights and Lilith's buddies start to question their cause. Ultimately it turns out the Eridians were using the Hunters to clean up their own mess and turn on them, either setting up for 4 or making the Hunters sic a bunch of monsters on them to beat them back then set up for 4.
This sounds reasonable but I rather suspect Gearbox doesn't really realize just how much of a poo poo Lilith is - they seem to want to portray her fuckups in a wacky and adorable light.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I haven't participated in this thread at all, but I did end up getting Tales because of it, and then the Handsome Collection because of that (I'd only played up to vanilla BL2 before). When I saw the concept for Tales I thought it was going to be a memey pile of garbage and was pleasantly surprised at how awesome it is. Great game, great LP.

I was glad to see that I wasn't the only person who couldn't stand Pickle in the Pre-Sequel. It's like they felt required to have a Tiny Tina-like character so they spit out that Dickensian little twerp. Unfortunately even though my favorite vault hunter to play is in the Pre-Sequel I basically only hang out in the holodome and Claptrap's effed up mind because I really don't enjoy the story missions or the characters. I even found Janey to be pretty grating because she talks at you so much during the first half of the game.

I like the argument for starting 3 on Helios, although if people just play Borderlands to shoot the hell out of things they probably won't care about that story thread being left unfinished, and if they care about the story they might have bought/are more likely to buy Tales anyway. If you start on Helios as an anti-Hyperion vault hunter it might turn off some people for being too similar to hunting Dahl around in the Pre-Sequel (although I think it would be a super fun setting).

It will be interesting to see if they are able to replace Jack as the driving character in the next game. Like is mentioned in the penultimate story video, he's been a primary character from Borderlands 2 on, even though he dies in the first game you meet him in. He's even a driving force in two of the DLCs for 2 (Hammerlock's Hunt & the Bunkers and Badasses one). As far as memorable video game characters go they kind of struck gold with him and Dameon Clarke's voice acting and it will be interesting to see if they try to replace him or continue to find ways to shoe-horn him into the story. If they go the Jimothey route I'd much prefer having him be a playable vault hunter again instead of an NPC, just because he's so fun to play and the Pre-Sequel has a dearth of content (Lets kill some bad guys!).

My wish list for 3, which probably would not be popular, would be to include some previous vault hunter characters as playable characters. I would have a lot of fun playing a game where I could switch back and forth between the Doppleganger and Maya, especially if Lilith becomes the villain (lol this won't happen). Other than that, agreed on the multiple planets thing. I've just started on the DLC content from 2 and the Oasis/Hunter's Grotto areas feel like totally different places, which is nice variability in a game that distills down to the same action over and over. Hopefully there won't be monetary issues that make 3 something of a collection of half-baked ideas like TPS feels!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Along with having an expanded scope to exploring planets besides Pandora I can also see Borderlands 3 going in an MMO-lite direction ala Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It would kick major rear end if Fiona and Rhys became the major driving force of Borderlands 3. My reasoning behind this is threefold:

1) I really, really want it to happen.
2) Fiona and Rhys together unlocked the vault of the Traveler. If, as Kaubocks believes, Borderlands 3 will be about unlocking vaults all across the galaxy, it would make sense that the way you reach all these different planets is by teleporting there using the vault of the traveler. Not only does this serve to further the plot element of demystifying vaults, but it also: explains where they went, explains how Rhys could bring Atlas back to the forefront of the corporate world, explains why the vault of the traveler is so drat important, and allow for a reasonable time scale in a game that has an intergalactic scale.
3) I really, really loving want it to happen.
Bonus) Rhys and Fiona are tight with Athena, who loving hates Lilith and who Lilith loving hates. Lilith probably also wouldn't care much for Rhys, so it would make sense for her to be a partial or psuedo-antagonist if Rhys and Fiona are the ones in charge of the B3 Vault Hunters.

I'm imagining the Vault of the Traveler basically being home base. You could start the game in the ruins of Helios, introducing basic game mechanics with the Children of Helios, then once you hit the control room Vaughn smacks you over the head with plot, introduces you to Rhys and Fiona, and then you enter the VotT which becomes the hub for the game. And Gortys could be the one who teleports the vault around since she's the one who summoned it originally! She could be your conductor! And she could be super excited to be helping! :v:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 22, 2016

• Locked thread