Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm an idiot.

That's probably no surprise to anyone here, but there's actually a reason I bring it up. You see, I'm a really big fan of the Borderlands series. Obviously they're popular games but they have a few glaring flaws. The games have some admittedly stupid jokes that really can kill the mood if they don't hit your sense of humor. The drop rates are pretty baffling for what amount to non-competitive multiplayer games so it can be extremely rare you find weapons that are both good and that click with you and your playstyle. Also, the level scaling algorithm is so hilariously lopsided it makes the endgame a real chore that leaves you grinding for the perfect weapons... which takes me back to argument number two.

But you know what? I love those games.

When I heard some rumbling that the next Telltale project was going to be a Borderlands game, I was a bit skeptical. I really enjoyed their work on the first season of The Walking Dead and overall I liked The Wolf Among Us, but I found the rest of their releases lacking and I wasn't particularly confident the Borderlands world was going to make a smooth transition into Telltale game.

I want you to look back on what's come out in 2015. We got the high-octane death-defying stunts of Rocket League. We had Nintendo put the power in our hands to make our own own levels and share them with the world in Super Mario Maker. Third person stealth gameplay was perfected in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Heck, even Telltale is getting a run for their money in the adventure games genre with Life is Strange (which, by the way, is conveniently being LPed by my friend Panzer Skank!). This year is STACKED with phenomenal video games. It's kind of ridiculous! Now what if I told you that a first-person loot-hunting shooter game turned into a story-driven point and click adventure was actually one of the best games of the year? You'd probably call me an idiot, but we covered that already.

I want to introduce you to Tales from the Borderlands-- one of my favorite games this year and arguably the best Borderlands and Telltale game to date.

Just some quick things to note before we get started:

1) No spoilers. This should absolutely go without saying but I'm still just going to say it outright. This is a heavily story driven game, and parts of it are based on choices we may or may not even make! Don't spoil anything! I'm serious!!

2) Commentary will be sparse. There's a lot of dialogue in this game and the humor/action angle they're going for doesn't leave a lot of downtime for me to speak. There will likely be several minutes at a time where I don't feel I want to interrupt the game, since I generally hate talking over dialogue in a game. A few times I might, but I'll try to avoid it.

3) This LP assumes you have no familiarity with the Borderlands series. This game does a pretty good job at assuming that already, but there's a number of cameos and returning characters here and there. When I chime in, it'll mostly be informative about trying to fill in some details about who someone is or why something might be important.

4) I'll be leaving some choices up to you, the viewers! There's a lot of choices to be made in a Telltale game. A large majority of them are dialogue choices. I'll take artistic liberty on these since I obviously can't ask you guys to pick every single line I say. I will, however, try and end most videos with a fun or even major choice to make for our characters! When that's the case, you guys will decide our fate. If you've already played the game before, that's fine. Feel free to cast your votes regardless! Just please don't explain your votes as "well if we vote [x], [thing] will happen" because holy poo poo did you even read the first note in this list??

The following links all go to polsy due to potential spoilers in the YouTube recommended videos bar. Click through to YT at your own risk:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MUSIC!
Borderlands is generally known for having fun title cards with great music and Tales from the Borderlands is no different. Here's the tracks we've heard so far!:

Episode 1: Jungle - Busy Earnin'
Episode 2: Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Kiss the Sky
Episode 3: The Rapture - Pieces of the People We Love
Episode 4: Twin Shadow - To the Top
Episode 5: James Blake - Retrograde
Final Credits: First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining

FAN ART!
Sometimes people are crazy enough to create content pertinent to an LP I'm working on. Here's where you can find the ones for this thread!:

Edmond Dantes pitches a game that might be better than this one.

Edmond Dantes wants people to understand that it's ok to trust Jack every once in a while.

Edmond Dantes has a thing for trying to convince people that Jack is a good source of advice and inspiration.

Hostile V drops the hottest album this side of Pandora on us.

VOTES!
Most videos end with a vote of how we should continue the story. Here you can see the results of all of them, in case you're curious how close or not-even-remotely close some of the choices were!:

#1-1: The Promotion
What weapons should we equip our Loader Bot with?
Machine Gun - 15
Riot Shield - 18

Rocket Launcher - 23
Longbow Grenade - 11

#1-2: The Deal
How should we stop August?
Blow his mind - 19
Break his heart - 18

#1-3: The Con
Do we attempt to shoot August?
Save the bullet - 24
Risk the shot - 7

#1-4: The Warehouse
Which mask should we buy?
Psycho Mask - 13
Steve Mask - 16
Skeletal Menace Mask - 9

#1-5: The Race
What should we do about Felix?
Warn Him - 39
Taunt Him - 6
Shoot Him - 16

#2-1: The General
Who should Sasha help?
Help Rhys - 30
Help Fiona - 6

Should we tell Vaughn about Handsome Jack?
Tell Vaughn - 24
Don't Tell Vaughn - 7

#2-2: The Grave
Do you think Vaughn would betray us?
Vaughn did betray us - 6
Vaughn did not betray us - 25

Where should we fly to?
Fly to Old Haven - 6
Fly to Hollow Point - 27

#2-3: The Mechanic
Should we peek at Sasha's gift?
Take a peek - 17
Be respectful - 25

Which paint job should we buy?
Factory Settings - 0
Iron Blunder Bus - 0
Filigree Flintlock - 9
Goldrush Hammer - 0
Inflammatory Style - 5
Storming Vexrunner - 1
Norfleet Van Guard - 3
The Scooter Special - 27

#2-5: The Galatarium
Who should we trust?
Trust Fiona - 45
Trust Jack - 41

#3-1: The Queen
How should we deal with Vallory?
Cut her out of the deal - 4
Make her head spin - 33

#3-2: The Road
Should we agree to a tentative alliance with Handsome Jack?
Partner up! - 42
Turn him down! - 23

#3-3: The Dome
What clothes should we buy?
Phlaming Phoenix - 1
Steampunk Princess - 30
Z-R37 LookSpex - 3
Apollo Visioneers - 3
Cyberpunk'd - 20
Silver Centurion - 1
Save Your Money! - 17

#3-4: The Jungle
Should we intervene between Athena and Cassius?
Allow Athena to satiate her bloodlust - 10
Disapprove of Athena's conviction - 40

#4-1: The Plan
Should we tell the girls about Handsome Jack?
Tell them! - 35
Don't tell them! - 19

#4-2: The Disguise
What outfits should we buy?
Standard Issue Uni-form - 1
Onyx Overlord - 30
High Flying Hyperion - 5
Phlaming Phoenix - 1

#4-3: The First
Should we launch the satellite?
Launch! - 43
Don't launch! - 3

#4-4: The Top
What should we do about Yvette?
Talk and tell - 8
Talk but don't tell - 5
Stun and tell - 19
Stun but don't tell - 17

#4-5: The Office
Should we accept Jack's offer?
Rule Hyperion - 38
Reject Hyperion - 28

#5-3: The Stranger
Who should we ask to be on our Vault Hunter team?
Janey - 63
Felix - 75
August - 18
Cassius - 27
Zer0 - 38
Athena - 69

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 29, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If you've finished watching the video, you'll know there's a :siren:VOTE TO BE MADE!!:siren:

Please select a primary weapon and a secondary weapon for our death robot to use! Bold 'em, please, so it's not a huge pain in the rear end for me to find.

Voting is open until sometime Thursday. Probably like 6PM Eastern or something.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 10, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shieldhill posted:

I'm in the middle of my second run of Tales right now.

For real, Tales from the Borderlands is the first time I finished a Telltale game and thought "wow I want to play this again". Don't get me wrong, I love The Walking Dead and did play it again to show it to my wife, but a repeat Borderlands run was just straight up because I wanted to see it again.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Take these poor souls down as non-lethally as possible. :shobon:

i have some bad news for you

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Calling an end to the votes! Machine Gun and Rocket Launcher had a really strong start. Longbow Grenades did their best to catch up but didn't quite make it, but in the end the winner is... Riot Shield and Rocket Launcher!

Weird how that works. That's the combination I picked for my first time through. :D

I'll be recording more gameplay tonight and should have a new episode up within the next couple days.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

We got a new video!

Episode #1-2: The Deal

...and with a new video comes :siren:A NEW VOTE!!:siren:

The deal's gone bad and we need to resolve it pronto. Do we blow his mind or break his heart? Tell me your choice!

Voting ends Tuesday at 6PM Eastern.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yes good I love the underdog votes

machine gun had a rip roaring head start until everyone suddenly started voting for riot shield and that was really fun to see :shobon:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If you're going to check out the Borderlands games, I'd recommend bringing a friend along. The first game is loving dire to play alone because there's really not much character to it, and what's there is just atmospheric. Borderlands 2 went a long way making it feel like you were actually holding conversations with people and The Pre-Sequel went even further with actually having your characters... talk.

also one last caveat is that when I play Borderlands I cheat engine the crap out of it to make the drop rates less terrible but that's something you can look into if you feel like you aren't finding very many fun guns

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was wondering when people would start speculating on what they actually mean

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Well, August is Nolan North. So I assume we don't have an option that will result in his early demise.

you'd be surprised what this game gets away with

ReturnOfFable posted:

I don't think we want to make Rhys a killer already.

say that to he skag we ran over and the dozen bandits we murdered with our death-bot :colbert:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 16, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright well if we don't return to Helios with a vault key, everyone is going to know we stole $10,000,000 and a company car. You saw what happened to Henderson. We need that vault key. Maybe August has to die? How's that for self defence? ;)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

who knows what that robot arm is REALLY capable of ??

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

record shattering high speed j/o

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

the baby monglets will be called bonertoots if you progress that far :3:

they'll WHAT

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

video games are art

I was planning on writing up a bit about what Atlas is/was. I just got back from the dentist, though, and my face is numb and I hate everything so I'll likely do that sometime tomorrow. I might even start a little collection of things from the franchise that are referenced in the game? Like a video of Splorghuld, or Nakayama falling down the stairs. If I go that far, I'll probably toss in some of your write-ups, Vicissitude, if you don't mind~

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Votes are closed! I counted up all the posts and "break his heart" beat out "blow his mind" by one point! :woop:

...but for the sake of transparency, I'm going to openly admit I'm also counting any votes I get in the YouTube comments. This should rarely be much of a deal breaker. So far I have a grand total of three votes across both episodes coming in through YouTube... but hey I want to be inclusive to people who like cool video games! Unfortunately, I said it should rarely be a deal breaker because this time it is. :shobon:

All two votes I got for this choice on YouTube are both for BLOW HIS MIND, making that our winner! It was a real fuckin' close call though. I loved counting them up and see them trade back and forth a bunch of times. Thanks to everyone who voiced their opinion~ The next episode should be ready in the next couple of days!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 18, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Got a new episode, fresh out of the oven:

And, of course, with a new episode comes :siren:A NEW VOTE!!:siren:

We have an opportunity right now to take out someone who could prove to be a thorn in our side... but there's no guarantee we're going to hit. Do we save our bullet or risk the shot?

Voting ends Sunday at 6PM Eastern.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's a bullet not a garden gnome or snowman piece

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Since Tector is here, that means that canonically it was the Zafords who were killed.

Maybe the Vault Hunters just haven't gotten around to doing that sidequest yet. :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

Save the bullet. Using disposable items in a videogame confuse and scare me.

wait until we pick up a couple of mega elixirs

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I assumed the previous choice was going to lead to murder and then a shootout. I wasn't expecting a different character to show up.

I will openly admit that the blow his mind/break his heart choice really means nothing, but I want to end as many videos as I can on a choice you guys might find interesting! :shobon:

There's a lot of things I'm taking into consideration for where a video ends. Like I've got a big list of choices that could be left up to you guys and I'm trying to balance it between "video is a good length" and "choice is interesting/funny". I left off on that mind/heart because there wasn't really any other big choice around the same time stamp, and also because I thought it would be funny to see people argue over what those options might actually cause us to do.

anyway that's just a little insight into my work process in case anyone is miffed I egged you guys on into deciding how you want a 30-second joke to play out

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

All the options are correct. If you pick "the vault hunter showed up", for example, it'll cut to Rhys and August tug-of-warring for the key and then Zer0 will dramatically Zorro his way into the room. Not exactly how it turns out that happened, obviously.

I went with "it's complicated" because it keeps everything more of a surprise, and then when Felix asks what's going on I can pick "it's complicated" again which I feel like is just really nice symmetry! :buddy:

It's no secret that Telltale games never really offer you HUGE, SWEEPING changes, but you'd actually be surprised at what it does let you get away with. I beat the game and was genuinely floored that I could have had a character who died in my playthrough survive because I had gotten so used to Telltale's non choices. There's also a number of choices that have an impact on how the ending can play out.

If there's one thing I worry about, it's that I hope a sentiment of "these choices don't actually matter" doesn't wash over the thread. Sure, there's going to be quite a few choices I give you guys that, in the grand scheme of things, really impact nothing. But it gives the playthrough a bit of flavour, no? I dunno I just hope that people don't get too down on it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fire Storm posted:

SAVE THE BULLET!

Maybe, just maybe, we can kill Vasquez with it!

I like the cut of your jib

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I hear you and shall stop bitching about non-choices immediately.

Oh, you're fine. I didn't really read anything as bitching it just got me thinking is all. I just want people to enjoy a rip roaring adventure and not get too hung up on things. :toot:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TWD2 had a wealth of problems that, yeah I agree with your post RareAcumen. I feel TftB avoids most of that simply by not trying to be so depressing all the time. Rather than choices being all life and death, they're a lot more light hearted, in a sense?

IDK. It's a fair thing to be concerned about, but I think this game handles it pretty well and I hope everyone feels the same way!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

overthinking is my middle name :cool:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Does Vasquez still lay you out on the floor like a sleeping bag no matter what you say in the beginning?

No, that's actually the first time I'd ever seen it and I liked it so much I stuck with it.

I would normally pick "you can't fire me, I quit!" to which he'd reply "Careful, Rhys. There's only one way out of Hyperion," and gesture towards Henderson. Something along those lines. When recording, I thought the character build up to "let's gently caress him over" would be smoother if I made Rhys come across as "you're going to pay for this". Results were better than expected.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 21, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Several of my favourite parts are near the end of the game so I'm pretty much in agony 24/7.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You're screwed, sorry. Fated to be forever stuck in a state of listening to the title card songs on loop.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Votes are closed! I counted them up and save the bullet won by a landslide. I'll be recording more footage tonight and the next episode should be up sometime in the next few days. :buddy:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sliding into your bookmarked threads like "woah guys check it out I got a new video"

...what do you mean you don't have this thread bookmarked? You should! :(

As usual, with a new video comes :siren:A NEW VOTE!!:siren:

How fuckin' stylish do you want to look? Do you want to save your money and go with the Psycho Mask? Does the Steve Mask look passably awesome while still being affordable? Or do you want to go full hog and blow it all on the Skeletal Menace Mask? Let me know!

Voting ends Friday at 6PM Eastern.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 25, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

edit: thank you kindly :cheers:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh yeah! I meant to ask...

How do you feel about the characters so far in the game, in a relation sense? Do you feel Rhys can trust Sasha, seeing as she has a gun and kind of totally hates Hyperion? If an opportunity came up to screw her over, do you think he would take it? Fiona can talk her way out of a situation, but how much do you think she'd try and take care of Vaughn? How to you think Rhys feels about Vaughn, and Fiona feels about Sasha? Where does Felix fit into everything? Can Zer0 be trusted?

Just trying to get a sense of how much everyone thinks of the relationships between the characters so I can better play to the thread's opinions. We're coming up on the finale of the first episode of the game, so I'm sure some stuff is going to go down.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Limopalise posted:

This ended up pretty much topping the list of games I played this year, a blast to play through that I'd recommend to pretty much everyone.

:krad:

This game is great and I'm glad to hear other people are pickin' it up. Heck, I'm glad to hear that people have already played it and agree with me that it's awesome. HECK, I'm glad to hear people just enjoy watching it!

GAME'S GREAT !!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's too late, I said it orbits the moon, it's canonical now :goonsay:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

JT Jag posted:

No that's cool, it just orbits Pandora too

I like the cut of your jib

Felinoid posted:

How is this even a question? Purples are always better.

yours too

there's a lot of jibs in this thread I apparently like the cut of

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I am deeply, deeply disappointed that you did not choose the meat bicycle reply to Felix when you had the chance. :colbert:
Fiona's delivery on that line is really weak, sadly. Weak enough that I think it kinda detracts from the joke so I chose not to pick it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There's something I didn't really mention in the video because it's so minor and I didn't want to spend too much time on it during a choice. The Steve Mask is actually a reference to... well, Steve! Steve is a bandit that shows up mostly in promotional material for the Borderlands games. He's had a couple in game experiences (I think just in Borderlands 2 and Poker Night 2), but as a character his claim to fame is that basically all he says is "heyooooo".

As for the Stranger survey... I'll consider it? If people want to speculate on it from time to time they're more than welcome. Personally I never figured it out until it was revealed and it was awesome. Only thing I'd be worried about is people who already know who it is trying to pass off spoilers as speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've never been much of a Jakobs man. Love the crap out of a good Hyperion gun, though. Second only to Vladof.

EDIT: phone posting, but I just read some posts above and no, Sasha has not returned our stun baton

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 25, 2015

• Locked thread