Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure it's always two units per hit

This is correct. What makes it seem to diminish so quickly is that there's no period of invulnerability after a hit, so you can take damage from two, three or four enemies almost simultaneously.

I should be able to get a new video up before too much longer, BTW, just dealing with a backlog of stuff that I'd been ignoring over the end of December/start of January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Really anticipating your next update, this game gives me the fuzziest of sensations. :3:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Once we grab that gold we'll be done with these caves for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSoB-GC3jU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I just like the UI he made for this. It tells everything you need to know, even though there's a fair few things to keep track of... Everything considered!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Everyone liked the seaside, right? Good, because we're going back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzg8NGFbFc

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Any chance of at least bonus videos of the sequel (Fractured Reality) and/or the NES version? I didn't know about the Ukranian hack. You could call the bonus videos something like, 'Captain Comic: A Surprisingly Existent Legacy'.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 1, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm planning on either doing a separate LP of the sequel or just a bonus video, depending on how I feel about it. I'll also definitely do at least one video on the Ukrainian one.

I don't know anything about the NES version, but I'll look into it and see what I can do with it, if it's different enough to be worthwhile.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

There's a NES version??

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

THE BAR posted:

There's a NES version??

Yep. By the unlicensed developer and publisher Color Dreams, who would go on to become the infamous Christian developer and publisher Wisdom Tree.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

THE BAR posted:

There's a NES version??
Yes, and it's bloody awful.

Edit:
Should probably post something more than that. I have some blurry memories of this game, finding it both fascinating and weird. A friend had it back in the (very) early 90's, and at school he'd rattle on about it like it was the greatest thing ever, and we'd sit there every weekend playing it. He also thought that CC's Mario-esque appearance when jumping was also the main way to attack, and that the raised fist was -- and you're not going to believe this -- actually CC trying to punch his enemies from below. It was only because I mashed the keyboard trying to find some other way to attack which didn't result in taking damage that we found out that throwing fireballs was a thing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 2, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

NES version of CC was one of the weird choices for porting by Color Dreams. They also announced ports of two old Amiga/IBM PC games developed by French company Silmarils: Colorado and Thargan.

Also, it was featured on this very website, many years ago:

http://www.somethingawful.com/rom-pit/adventures-captain-comic/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Should probably post something more than that. I have some blurry memories of this game, finding it both fascinating and weird. A friend had it back in the (very) early 90's, and at school he'd rattle on about it like it was the greatest thing ever, and we'd sit there every weekend playing it. He also thought that CC's Mario-esque appearance when jumping was also the main way to attack, and that the raised fist was -- and you're not going to believe this -- actually CC trying to punch his enemies from below. It was only because I mashed the keyboard trying to find some other way to attack which didn't result in taking damage that we found out that throwing fireballs was a thing.
The game asks you if you want to set the controls before you start though! :psyduck:

laserghost posted:

NES version of CC was one of the weird choices for porting by Color Dreams. They also announced ports of two old Amiga/IBM PC games developed by French company Silmarils: Colorado and Thargan.

Also, it was featured on this very website, many years ago:

http://www.somethingawful.com/rom-pit/adventures-captain-comic/
Just located a copy of this and gave it a shot. It's not even really the same game. It's got some definite similarities, but if you showed someone both games I don't know that they'd pick that one was supposed to be a copy of the other. It also seems to be way harder, but I'm not entirely sure it's running correctly, because it seems a bit too fast.

I also had a look at Captain Comic 2 today, and I'm not sold on it. The main difficulty seems to be the fact that enemies seem to blend into the backgrounds, which I find very irritating. I'll give it another go at some point though and there will be at least one video to show it off.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tiggum posted:

The game asks you if you want to set the controls before you start though! :psyduck:
True, but we were dumb kids who were barely 5 years old at the time; the PC as a platform was in general a big scary thing to us and after so much NES/MegaDrive etc. the very idea of being able to change control setup was an alien concept. Well, that and we had no idea what any of the pre-game options other than 'any other key to begin' actually meant: "Keyboard Definition? What's that?" :gonk:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

One final trip to the seaside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-tpq21IkhU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is the final location going to be a total non-sequitur?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Is the final location going to be a total non-sequitur?

The final location actually makes perfect sense. We've got two more areas to get through before that though. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I know what you're thinking, but this is not the castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo4ET1Wwlr8

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Crashed alien spaceship? Your guess is as good as mine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thedaian posted:

Crashed alien spaceship? Your guess is as good as mine.

Actually, I think the list of level titles I found was from the NES game (which is quite different). Most of them match up pretty accurately, but I feel like this one must have changed significantly. I'd call it the castle, but there's definitely a better fit for that name later.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Tiggum posted:

I'd call it the castle, but there's definitely a better fit for that name later.

Yeah, it's not quite the same as the better castle.

I'm trying to remember what I thought this area was when I was playing the game in DOS proper, and I want to say it was a science center, or mission control for the rocket or... something along those lines.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hope you like watching me die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKTT_YWifY

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I use the teleport liberally at this point, particularly since it will never dump you in a pit. It's not great for dodging, but you can take a number of hits and only one fall.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nidoking posted:

I use the teleport liberally at this point, particularly since it will never dump you in a pit. It's not great for dodging, but you can take a number of hits and only one fall.

Oh, I am definitely about to start doing that. I mentioned in a previous video that I'd be using the teleport wand a lot later on, and this is about where that starts.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can't seem to find anywhere mentioning how long it took for him to make the game, or what system it was made on, although that's most likely an Apple II.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

According to this interview, it took him "about 3 or 4 months", and presumably it was made on an IBM compatible running MS DOS. I don't know why you'd assume Apple II?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tiggum posted:

According to this interview, it took him "about 3 or 4 months", and presumably it was made on an IBM compatible running MS DOS. I don't know why you'd assume Apple II?

Wishful thinking, really.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I finally get around to talking about why the teleport wand is unpredictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPD-VX2MHgk

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I kept expecting some of those coloured blocks to be temporary "disappearing" blocks or ones that'd disappear after you stood on them for a few moments. I think this may be one of the rare few platformers to pull none of those tricks, unless they're saved for the very last areas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This level is trickier than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDXo-dLVXA

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
This level usually was the end of the runs I made playing this growing up. That's assuming I could even get this far, since I usually died on the moonbase or soon afterwards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thedaian posted:

This level usually was the end of the runs I made playing this growing up. That's assuming I could even get this far, since I usually died on the moonbase or soon afterwards.

Seriously, if you beat this level you've pretty much won the game. There's two whole levels to go but this is where the difficulty peaks.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At this point, most of the blocks are perfectly placed for teleporting, and you can move between the upper and lower levels in areas where the blocks are staggered. If you figure out how it works effectively, you can get around enemies pretty easily and be at no risk of falling. The problem is that when you get to the rare gaps that aren't one teleport wide, you'll puff into smoke in place and take the hits.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No lives remaining, so I'd better not mess this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkYu1wlk6PQ

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fortunately, the next level is far easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hAOzndRXf0

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I'm glad to see more of this.

The lantern sitting up on the ledge always taunted me when I played this game, since you could see it from the beginning, but couldn't actually reach it.

There's not much left to the game. I don't remember that much about the last level.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Can you use the teleport wand in mid-air? For instance if you mis-timed a jump, but before you actually drop into the pit and die?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thedaian posted:

I don't remember that much about the last level.
There's not much to remember about the last level.

PurpleXVI posted:

Can you use the teleport wand in mid-air? For instance if you mis-timed a jump, but before you actually drop into the pit and die?
I was going to just say no, but I thought I should test it anyway, so I played through to the bit where you get the wand and it turns out no, it doesn't work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Back through the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9UxeueYck

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does this game have some sort of final boss battle or do you just have to go hand over the treasures you've collected and then you get a little fanfare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Does this game have some sort of final boss battle or do you just have to go hand over the treasures you've collected and then you get a little fanfare?

You're thinking too optimistically.

• Locked thread