Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Dr.Michael Riggins

Michael Riggins sits in his favorite South Loop bar, whiskey-on-the-rocks in hand. He checks his blazer's inside pocket, verifying once again that the invitation is tucked inside, and he sighs. It's a weird turn of events, this invitation, but it was right in his back yard, and a few grand is far from nothing. Still, he's distracted. After the meeting, he's got another invitation, one that he's dreading.

"loving Gary," he mutters under his breath as he takes a sip of his drink. Once this meeting is done, he's got plans to go to his ex-wife's house with her new husband, Gary, to spend New Years with the kids. Awkward as hell, awkward enough he almost volunteered to work the ER tonight so that he'd have an excuse to not go. But that was before the invitation. The opportunity. it was too intriguing, and once he was willing to take a night off work for that, well....he couldn't avoid Angela's second husband all of the time. Hell, he had to appreciate that Gary was so good about letting him spend time with the kids, to be a part of the family. Michael knew that Angela and he should have gotten divorced years before she met Gary, and would have if it weren't for the kids. Even though he was the definition of an absentee father.

$3000. And he didn't even have to travel. From a mysterious sender. For exceptional people. If this was a timeshare pitch, it was one that had a lot of gumption.

It didn't make a drat bit of sense, but Michael was too intrigued not to follow up on it. Glancing down at the Victorinox Chronograph on his wrist, Doctor Riggins finishes the last of his whiskey before pulling on his woolen overcoat and heading for the door, waving amiably to the bartender. He walks the blocks between the bar and the condo building, kept warm by the mix of wool and whiskey. Loitering for a few minutes, he steps in behind another person entering the building, presuming them to be another guest, and pulls his invitation out of his pocket.

Michael Riggins is in his mid-thirties, slightly shorter than average at 5' 7", with a solid build. His dark brown hair is cut high and tight, and is starting to show tinges of grey. His brown eyes are attentive, and he carries himself calmly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael nods to the serviceman as he walks toward the building, knowing recognition in his eyes, however it's the man on the motorcycle who keeps drawing his attention, particularly as he rushes back to his bike to get out of his riding gear. At least he's not stupid enough to ride unprotected, he thinks wryly to himself as he approaches the door and holds it open for Dave before following him inside. "Evening," he says politely to Dave, once they're inside, as he pulls out his invitation and prepares to present it. "Not too many people still riding this time of year."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"No idea," Michael says to Scott before Fred opens the door. Showing him the invitation, he steps inside, and begins walking toward the elevator, but not hitting a call button. He catches Jonas looking for egress, and smiles with a sad sign, having seen far too many people with that sort of instinct over the years. Still, the situation is weird enough that he's glad to see the alertness, particularly since his own senses have been tuned to other things.

Michael catches Jonas' eye, and nods in recognition, extending a hand. "Always nice to see someone else who's served," he says by way of introduction. "Michael Riggins, formerly of the Army Medical Corps, though I've been out for a few years now."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

"Pleasure, Mr. Webb," Michael responds before releasing the handshake. "Always makes me more comfortable moving into the unknown with someone who knows their poo poo. Not that I expect anything too weird, this is Chicago after all, not Kandahar."

Michael looks around, watching the others filtering into the room. The group doesn't have any common thread that he can recognize, making him increasingly uncomfortable with the nature of the invitation. He's never considered himself that 'exceptional', but he's even less sure about the 'banger and the guy off the motorcycle. Of course, the lack of clarity just makes the mystery that much sweeter.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

Michael half smiles at the other two men. "It's been a busy time over seas, but I see plenty of the same kinds of injuries here are home," he says conversationally, unconsciously glancing over at Tens.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

"Thank you, Fred," Michael says as he watches the doorman be smoothly tipped, smoothly moving his own hand from his pocket.

As the elevator begins to rise, he idly jokes. "So, Mr. Jones. At least we aren't going into this completely blind."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

Michael sighs, his sarcasm clearly going unnoticed. "Well, if nothing else, Jones is someone who was willing to put up twelve grand to get the four of us together. So that gives us a bit more information. He, or someone he works for, has a lot of money to throw around."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Honestly, that's probably the least suspicious thing we've seen so far. Well, Gentlemen, let's see what's waiting behind door number one," Michael says, noting the location of the stairwell as the walk toward the door, and unconsciously positioning himself just off to the side of the entrance as Jonas opens the door.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"gently caress, it is a timeshare presentation," Michael mutters as he takes in the room, before the man in the suit gets within earshot. Extending his hand as the man approaches, Michael smiles, "Of course. It was an...intriguing offer. More interesting than a night pumping stomachs and dealing with firework burns at least."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael's face reddens slightly as he realizes his comment was overheard, but his eyebrow quirks at the survival comment. That could be a common theme among this group, but it's a stretch. But what wouldn't be?

"Of course, I think we can all appreciate discretion, though this mystery seems to step a bit further than just being discrete," Michael says as he shakes Mr. Jones' hand.

As he walks toward the buffet to grab a few vegetables and crackers to snack on, and a light pour of bourbon, he calls over to their host. "And what should we call you, sir? Mr. Jones, or do you have a first name you'd prefer?"

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael steps toward the window at the sounds of the explosions. Some people just like to get an early start of it, he supposes. And he's again glad that he's not in trauma tonight, though he checks his phone is still charged and has a signal, just in case he's called in. He cocks an eyebrow at looks back at Charlie as his explanation continues, but decides not to push the issue. The man is promising answers soon enough. "I'll be interested in seeing your evidence, like you said, people have a pretty bad track record predicting the end of the world."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael was torn. Being on retainer to help in the event of a disaster sounded like something he would be interested in. And he wouldn't question this much at all, if the circumstances weren't so shadowy. "Well, I already have obligations in the event of disaster," Michael begins as Chad begins walking toward the window. He stops as Chad excuses himself, slightly frustrated at the man being so dismissive, but the moment that he comes rushing back in ordering everyone back, Michael rushes away from the window, heading for the cover afforded by the kitchen counters. Several years in and out of various FOBs taught him to gladly head for cover when told, provided he didn't have someone open on his table.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"poo poo," Michael exclaims as he pops his head over the counter and sees the cracked, bloodied glass, and Chad laying on the ground. "I need to make sure he's okay," Michael says hurrying toward the door. "And calm down," he says to Scott as he walks."The green poo poo is probably just dust, some trick of the light making it that color. Now help me keep his head stable while I make sure he didn't break his neck or anything."

Michael is going for the door, he'll want to check Chad's vitals and make sure that he doesn't appear to have any sort of obvious spinal injury, if he determines he's safe to move, he'll try to get him inside.

Relevant skills:
First Aid - 15
Physician - 14

foxxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 9, 2015

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Someone grab his legs," Michael says as he puts his arms under Chad's armpits and starts dragging him inside. Once out of the dust, Michael lays Chad on his back. "Someone find me a towel, or some sheets or something," Michael says as he grabs the pitcher of water, a bottle of vodka, and some napkins off the food table and returns to his patient, rinsing and cleaning the wound, and keeping pressure up while waiting for a bandage, all the while talking to Chad and trying to rouse him from his sleep. "Let me determine how bad this is before we haul Chad down five flights of stairs on someone's shoulders."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Seeing Scott with his makeshift torch, Michael calls out, "Hey, get over here with that." Michael finishes field dressing the wound with what's on hand. "Okay, power's down, no elevators, so I guess we're carrying Chad down to the street level. My Hospital is about a mile from here, and I highly suspect they're going to need my help anyway, plus their generator should be working," Michael says as he stands, sighing. He glances over toward the presentation equipment set up in the room, his curiosity once again being piqued, he's curious about anything that might indicate why they were gathered, but he figures there will be time enough for that once Chad's awake and patched up.

"You still up to carry him downstairs? You look like you can handle it better than I can, and even if we rig up a stretcher, I don't like our chances of getting it down the stairs."

The Hospital in question is Mercy. I'm not sure exactly where in the South Loop we're at, but looking at Google Maps, "about a mile" seems like a reasonable estimate.

Michael will help Dave, or whomever, load Chad up on their shoulders.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael swears under his breath as he trips on the stairs and hits his wist hard against the wall. Just a minor sprain, he thinks to himself. He continues hurrying down the stairs, doing what little he can to help Dave with the patient.

As they reach the bottom of the stairwell, Michael speaks up again. "Keep your ears open folks, we'll probably see some rioting before the night is over, and if anyone sees a landline that might be working, I really need to make a phone call."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"poo poo, give me some light and space," Michael says as he steps in and starts looking at Fred's neck.

"Calm down, Fred, let me get a look at this, what happened?" MIchael asks as he examines the man's neck.

First Aid - 15, Physician - 14

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Guns? Seriously? We don't know those people outside are a threat yet, and the last thing I need right now is a GSW."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael is wholly focused on Frank's wound, though he knows it's dire. "Looks like some kind of loving animal tore his throat out, right down to the bone, someone check the desk, or an office, this man desperately needs bandages," Michael says, paying no attention to the people outside the doors. He will not stop treating his patient while there is any chance of his survival.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Zombies aren't real, some kind of wild animal clearly did this, now who is looking for a loving First Aid Kit? I need bandages NOW!" Michael says, his voice getting louder and more commanding as he speaks. It's clear that he is accustomed to people keeping him in supplies when he's trying to save a man's life.

Doc, I'm assuming your message refers to Fred, not Chad, as having only 5 minutes to live, as that was the injury I was examining, and a fireman's carry for a mile (as was the plan with Chad) was going to take more than 5 minutes anyway

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Fantastic," Michael says as Dave hands over the crash kit, pushing aside the other comments while he works. "You're not going to die on me tonight," he mutters as he works.

My Attentive perk should keep me focused until Frank is either dead or stable. But after that, Michael has some freaking the gently caress out to do.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"God drat it, stay down," Michael says as Fred thrashes and breaks away from him. As he falls and hits the floor, Michael sighs, checking his pulse one last time. "He's gone," Michael says as he checks his watch, subconsciously noting the time. He turns to the others after a few moments. "Meteor strike doesn't quite make sense. Sure, I've heard they can cause an EMP, but something about Fred's movements there at the end...it didn't look like just blood loss and shock," he continues as he grabs some antiseptic from the trauma kit and starts cleaning Fred's blood off of his hands.

"I still think Mercy is our best next stop. It's fairly close, and I wouldn't mind getting Chad over there. Plus, I have some people I really need to get in touch with, and the Hospital is likely to be a better place for emergency organization anyway. Unless anyone else has any other ideas?" Michael asks, glancing uneasily toward the doors.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Can't loving stay here. There is no power, no lights, virtually no food. Plus, I've got people I need to check on. And Fred is dead. Dead men don't walk," Michael says, pointing at the newly fallen corpse.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Makes sense," Michael says to Scott. "Though I doubt that door's unlocked, and I know I'm not kicking any doors in." Michael chuckles.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Closet's right there," Michael says, pointing while Dave comments. "But yeah, let's take a look at the door while Scott checks it out. Do we want to just poke a head out? Make sure no one's hiding out there?"

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Excellent, hand one here," Michael says to Scott as he grabs a flashlight. "Alright, let's get going."

Michael pushes open the back door, poking his head out and shining the flashlight down the alley in both directions to make sure it's clear before directing the others to head outside.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Just a minute, neighbor. Just wait a minute so we can talk, my companion here is willing to use that gun. There's nothing inside worth a drat anyway, I suggest you make your way to a local relief shelter. CPD's probably got something set up, 18th and State," Michael says, calmingly, to the man shambling toward them.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Jesus Christ!" Michael exclaims as Tens shoots down the man advancing down the alley. "Fine, he was clearly hosed up, and he kept walking even after fair warning, so fine," he rambles.

"I've got a rifle in my condo not far from here, but not any ammo that'll fit your sidearms," he says idly in response to the others taking stock.

ST 9; DX 11; IQ 12; HT 11; Per 12; Will 12
HP 10/10; FP 12/12; BS5.5; BM 5

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"I agree, everyone around here knows we're back here now, and I'd really rather not write a police report right now," Michael says, and begins heading in the direction opposite of the cop.

Heading away from the officer. I'm guessing that Law Abiding won't make me feel compelled to stay and file paperwork.

Don't have stealth DX-11, Per-12

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Down the alleyway away from the cop.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"We should go check on that accident, there might be someone who needs help," Michael says, looking toward the accident. "I know it's the wrong direction, from the Hospital and the cars, but we really ought to check on that."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael sighs at yet another mention of Zombie. "Yeah, give him a minute then let's get moving. He might just grab his bike and gently caress off," Michael agrees, looking down the road. "I still want to take a look at that crash, make sure there isn't anyone who needs help, but with just three of us we can't really split into two groups safely."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael hurries to the crawling drivers and starts to check vitals, beginning with the truck driver. "Don't move anyone," he tells the others. "We can't be sure that we won't aggravate any injuries. Sir, please stop moving, I'm a Doctor," he says to the driver crawling away. While checking the Truck driver for injuries, Michael steals a glance down the street, frustrated to not see Dave.

You mention the driver of the Sports Car twice, so I'm assuming that the Sedan driver is the one who got out. Regardless, the driver who is motile is the last one I'm checking.

And I'm still interested, if the others are.

Physician IQ+4 - 14

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael RIggins

Michael starts to peel the driver's fingers away from his arm. "Sir, sir, it's okay, I'm a doctor. You've been involved in an accident, but I don't see any immediately threatening injuries. I'm going to check on the other people involved in the accident, please remain in your car." As Dave comes running, Michael looks up and sees the others. "I'm not seeing any of the green poo poo on this driver, but he might need some help once he's calmed down."

Michael presumes the grab is due to panicking, and speaks calming words to the man, while starts to back up to go check on the others, presuming the hold is broken. Regardless of Dave's shouting, I'm planning on checking the other possible patients.

I don't have any hand-to-hand combat skills.

foxxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 22, 2016

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael curses. "poo poo, he's acting like the others. And Tens, we don't know what the gently caress this is, or what level of exposure is causing whatever it is. At least the affected don't seem to be bothering each other," he finishes as he glances north up the street and see's Dave.

"Dave!" He calls, waving.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael nods, looking back once more at the driver struggling mindlessly against his seatbelt. "Yeah, let's go. We need to regroup to a better position."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael starts jogging with Jonas, frustrated and confused about the situation, but knowing that they're too exposed to help, and desperately wanting to get in touch with family.

I'm not armed or anything, so no real "planning" makes sense at this stage for Michael.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael follows Tens into the parking garage. "And go where? No offense, but I wasn't exactly special forces, and you don't look like the type to live off the land. I still think the hospital is our best place to hole up for the near term. Plenty of supplies and food, and since we were okay while inside, it stands to reason that it's probably in okay shape. Plus, I've got people in this city...and I have to know what happened to them."

Continuing to follow. Sorry for the delay, I'd thought I'd posted in here recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael shakes his head at Jonas. "I don't know about that, we weren't in that building very long, and the incubation time for this is short. Shorter than anything I've ever seen. While a small number of people may have made it to the hospital before becoming symptomatic, it probably wasn't many, and we don't know about the infectivity of the pathogen, it's entirely possible it was contained quickly. I'd still like to do a drive-by, at least," he says while they quickly make their way to the parking garage.

Once inside, Michael nods to Tens as they notice the green man. He steps across the garage from Tens' car and starts waving trying to get the infected moving toward him instead of the car, while minimizing the amount of noise he makes.

• Locked thread