Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Buzkashi posted:

Using "felines" instead of "cats" has the same autistic weirdo vibe as using "females" instead of "women"

Maybe they want to keep 12 mountain lions or tigers or something? Although you could use cats there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want 12 hyenas to pull my sledge across the pridelands. They're felids, it's cool.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

psutify posted:

Its interesting how wanting someone to be a "good father" is wedged in there between spanks and rape tribunals

"Maybe its my OWN bitterness and contempt that made her leave me....Nah!"

"I could be playing Wow right now"

Also yeah, that was totally code for "She wants me to buy $1000 tickets for Hamilton? Fuuuuuck that robocop poo poo"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"That bitch of a wife may have taken half my money but she will not see a single piece of my GOLD!"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I will never get over how creepy Imgur gets with posting pictures of women for the sole purpose of eye candy and karma.

http://imgur.com/gallery/3lKex

"Mocha Monday" they seriously called it.

Edit: Here's more of what I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/gallery/49xKq
http://imgur.com/gallery/30xxk
http://imgur.com/gallery/6Px3kQm (wowza that title)
http://imgur.com/gallery/fckNA
http://imgur.com/gallery/RexWkGu

So much more.

Ularg has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Aug 23, 2016

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Serperoth posted:

One thing that bugs me in the other picture LoB posted is how apparently the woman gets everything. Despite being a known adulterer, and men getting custody more often than not when they do try for it.

Having been through a nasty divorce in the last few years I can assure you that the courts don't give a poo poo about who did what. Seriously. I had to have it explained to me a couple of times but then I "got it". The respondent didn't get that talk and kept bringing really personal poo poo into the courts. It became pretty clear that the judge was getting sick of it real early. Most states have an equation now for spousal support (alimony is kind of a thing of the past) based on marriage length and earning capability. So you could literally gently caress your wife's sister at her parents' funeral with everyone watching and the judge wouldn't take that into consideration. That poo poo only matters on TV. Can't speak for the custody thing though - luckily we didn't have any kids.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

Having been through a nasty divorce in the last few years I can assure you that the courts don't give a poo poo about who did what. Seriously. I had to have it explained to me a couple of times but then I "got it". The respondent didn't get that talk and kept bringing really personal poo poo into the courts. It became pretty clear that the judge was getting sick of it real early. Most states have an equation now for spousal support (alimony is kind of a thing of the past) based on marriage length and earning capability. So you could literally gently caress your wife's sister at her parents' funeral with everyone watching and the judge wouldn't take that into consideration. That poo poo only matters on TV. Can't speak for the custody thing though - luckily we didn't have any kids.
Are you and the sister still a thing?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Are you sure? How does your home universe spell "Berenstain Bears"?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Are you talking about the bearenstein boars?

Who are you two talking about? Do you guys mean "The Jason Bournestein Bears"?

Edit:

Didn't check the page number. :downs:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
At first I thought Vicki was cool.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

lmao if you aren't hype as gently caress about being able to pay for your groceries with your hand

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

Do they know Brian Williams hasn't been the NBC News anchor for over a year?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

sinking belle posted:

Are you and the sister still a thing?

She wishes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Ularg posted:

I will never get over how creepy Imgur gets with posting pictures of women for the sole purpose of eye candy and karma.

http://imgur.com/gallery/3lKex

"Mocha Monday" they seriously called it.

Edit: Here's more of what I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/gallery/49xKq
http://imgur.com/gallery/30xxk
http://imgur.com/gallery/6Px3kQm (wowza that title)
http://imgur.com/gallery/fckNA
http://imgur.com/gallery/RexWkGu

So much more.

9gag has a whole section just called "girls".

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Halleluyerrrr!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

LargeHadron posted:

a tale of two vickies

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

When you think you know what the bottom text of the meme will be and you're about 180 degrees incorrect.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

LargeHadron posted:

This is going to expose me as the dumb sheeple that I am, but whenever something like this comes up I have to wonder what the drawbacks of getting the microchip are supposed to be.

They go on about "There are FEEEEMA concentration camps ready to jail all the people who refuse!" and "Anyone who doesn't get it will be hunted down and killed OR WORSE" and I just have to think 'Well poo poo, sign me up for the chip then I guess. What would be worse than that?'

Team Antichrist 2017

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Parasol Prophet posted:

This is going to expose me as the dumb sheeple that I am, but whenever something like this comes up I have to wonder what the drawbacks of getting the microchip are supposed to be.

They go on about "There are FEEEEMA concentration camps ready to jail all the people who refuse!" and "Anyone who doesn't get it will be hunted down and killed OR WORSE" and I just have to think 'Well poo poo, sign me up for the chip then I guess. What would be worse than that?'

Team Antichrist 2017

It all comes from their crazy interpretation of the book of Revelation, and the belief that those who carry the Mark of the Beast won't be allowed into heaven. Seriously.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

RNG posted:

a tale of two vickies

One is clearly pre-trib Vicki, the other post-trib.

PS, please no one ever tell End Times Believers why shortening Tribulations to "trib" is funny.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah it's just the whole bible thing. Whenever people warn that the one world government is coming all I can think is "good"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pot Of Shoe posted:

I know it's been said time and time again but those guys who write these long screeds of what women actually want have clearly never spoken to a woman.

And why is the other guy always named Chad

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

hyperhazard posted:

It all comes from their crazy interpretation of the book of Revelation, and the belief that those who carry the Mark of the Beast won't be allowed into heaven. Seriously.

I'm sure there's a fair bit of "the government is controlling your mind with fluoride" type paranoia in there too.

zVxTeflon posted:

Well, Chad or one of his ethnically diverse friends.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Quote ain't edit, folks.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Hardcordion posted:

Like Polish Chad! Or Irish Chad!

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

zVxTeflon posted:

They are just huge Bachelor franchise fans and really stuck with the Chad that was in there. Or because that is the typical name people associate with "frat guys that are assholes that will gently caress your girlfriend" because people are uncreative.

You know, one of those.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I prefer "Chet" because it implies all that, plus money.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Aramek posted:

I prefer "Chet" because it implies all that, plus money.

Chad is the guy you don't want to punch because he's giant. Chet is the guy you don't want to punch because his dad will sue.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Chad is just a generic pretty boy kind of name.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chaddington Harcourt Forsythe-DeWitt III, esq.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Parasol Prophet posted:

Team Antichrist 2017

In most of the apocalypse interpretations there is also something along the lines of being forced to renounce Christianity/Jesus/suck the Anti-Christ's cock in order to receive the mark/microchip/whatever. And then the Mark of the Beast is required to be able to buy anything/participate in society. So when the time comes for everyone to be micro-chipped your choices are 1) Happily accept the Mark of the Beast and renounce your religion (and go to hell), 2) Begrudgingly take the Mark and renounce your religion (and go to hell), 3) Refuse to accept the Mark and renounce your religion (and be thrown into jail or live as an outcast or be horribly tortured and then killed....then go to heaven).

But it's all up to interpretation anyway. The Book of Revelations is all one big fever dream John, son of Zebedee, had while on vacation (exile) on Patmos.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

They just completely fail to understand what Time's Man of the Year is all about.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

King of Foolians posted:

But it's all up to interpretation anyway. The Book of Revelations is all one big fever dream John, son of Zebedee, had while on vacation (exile) on Patmos.

I remember reading Revelations when I was younger because I figured the apocalypse would be cool. I just couldn't stop wondering on how many drugs John was.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Met posted:

They just completely fail to understand what Time's Man of the Year is all about.

I know quite a few Swedish "alternative media" outlets that would be more than happy to claim Hitler the award "hero of the century".

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Fathis Munk posted:

I remember reading Revelations when I was younger because I figured the apocalypse would be cool. I just couldn't stop wondering on how many drugs John was.

It's all a thinly veiled metaphor for the Roman Empire, which had exiled him in the first place. It's basically John giving them the middle finger as he calls them a beast that destroys the earth.

Years later, this gets warped into "Obama is the Antichrist!"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Met posted:

Just imagine if they had named Osama Bin Laden like they were considering.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

I'm sure there's a fair bit of "the government is controlling your mind with fluoride" type paranoia in there too.

I will say that while "Darnell" was to be expected, I was extremely surprised to see Shigeru, Arjun, Mohammed, and Luigi(no mario) included. Women are very open to multi-culturalism it seems.

Colander Crotch posted:

They are just huge Bachelor franchise fans and really stuck with the Chad that was in there. Or because that is the typical name people associate with "frat guys that are assholes that will gently caress your girlfriend" because people are uncreative.

You know, one of those.

It's the latter. There's something called "Chad Thundercock" who is a guy who gets tons of chicks and brags about it or w/e. It's very weird.
Then again, it's really fun to imagine all of these guys enamored with the Bachelorette(Chad was on that show) series. I think they'd find that the Bachelor confirms all of their stereotypes though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hyperhazard posted:

With this "mark of the beast" thing, do these people think that if you get tricked into getting the mark, or have it put on them without their consent or understanding, that they still don't get to go to heaven?

For example, they get to the pearly gates, having lived a virtuous and godly life, (hating queers and blacks and abortions and all that good stuff), but God will look at their earthly bodies and go "Nup, I don't care how good you are, or how well you followed my rules. You got a mark on you, gently caress off to hell!"

Even the orthodox jewish belief of "you can't be buried in a Jewish Cemetary if you have a tattoo" has exceptions for those tattooed against their will.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

With this "mark of the beast" thing, do these people think that if you get tricked into getting the mark, or have it put on them without their consent or understanding, that they still don't get to go to heaven?

For example, they get to the pearly gates, having lived a virtuous and godly life, (hating queers and blacks and abortions and all that good stuff), but God will look at their earthly bodies and go "Nup, I don't care how good you are, or how well you followed my rules. You got a mark on you, gently caress off to hell!"

Even the orthodox jewish belief of "you can't be buried in a Jewish Cemetary if you have a tattoo" has exceptions for those tattooed against their will.

They are the same people that think pork bullets mean Islamic people will go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

hyperhazard posted:

It's all a thinly veiled metaphor for the Roman Empire, which had exiled him in the first place. It's basically John giving them the middle finger as he calls them a beast that destroys the earth.

Years later, this gets warped into "Obama is the Antichrist!"

Yeah, the idea of Revelations as being prophecy of events leading up to the apocalypse is a fairly new (and almost exclusively American) idea. From a historical perspective it's fairly clear that John was writing about things happening in his time, but doing so in coded and metaphorical language. An example:

The Bible posted:

I looked, and there was a black horse! Its rider held a pair of scales in his hand, and I heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, “A quart of wheat for a day’s pay, and three quarts of barley for a day’s pay, but do not damage the olive oil and the wine!”
And the historical context (thanks to J. Nelson Kraybill)

quote:

Ancient sources indicate that staple foods sometimes became scarce in Asia Minor in the first century. Exporters catering to Rome had bought up agricultural lands and converted them to olive groves and vineyards. Even emperors in Rome understood that this change in land use in the provinces inflated the price of grains needed to feed the local population and their animals. Suetonius says that once,
… upon the occasion of a plentiful wine crop, attended by a scarcity of grain, thinking that the [grain] fields were neglected through too much attention to the vineyards, [Emperor Domitian] made an edict forbidding anyone to plant more vines in Italy and ordering that the vineyards in the provinces be cut down, or but half of them at most be left standing.
The order was never carried out, and John’s vision implies that grain had become so expensive that people had to pay a full day’s wages for a mere quart of wheat (for human consumption) or for three quarts of barley (for animals).

Or you have the idea that 'The Beast' is going to declare himself God, take over the temple at Jerusalem, and then destroy it. A historical approach would identify this 'beast' as the Roman emperor Titus, who did declare himself God and did destroy the temple at Jerusalem, but fundies have concluded that this means that the Antichrist is going to rebuild the temple, then take it over, and then destroy it, because they're stupid people who need to feel that their lives are part of a destined and prophecied series of events.