Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's one of those instances where the idea is fantastic but the execution is lazy. On the spectrum of good art to bad art I'd say it's mediocre. It would have worked far better as a painting with distorted forms and dissonant colors.

The idea is dumb as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Eh! Frank posted:

STDH, but not in the way I was expecting (showed up in my facebook feed after a former coworker girl Liked it):

This was posted with the comment "The feels on the bus go round and round", and many of the comments were about how sad (depressing sad, not pathetic sad) and romantic it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcn1Q9fWahM

I cry evertim.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Knormal posted:

At last, a way to find someone to celebrate anniversary naps with!
Have sex, eat together, celebrate anniversary, no kissing, do not talk to me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

And it's the loving best needlessly confusing. LoB posts some gems
FTFY.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Carrie Fisher talks about how hollywood has not changed its stance on making actors conform to beauty standards, and talks about how she was told she needed to lose weight to play Leia again. I think its pretty understandable to be annoyed at how the industry dictates what your body should look like. Naturally, the people in the comments don't see it the same way and start ripping her apart for having an opinion.
http://www.people.com/article/carrie-fisher-weight-loss-star-wars?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

I would have thought she'd be in a position to go "gently caress off, you're lucky I even agreed to be in the movie." What are they going to do, cut her from the script and risk having it come out later that she's not in the film because they thought she was too fat?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

Heh, that girl is me in e/n threads started by guys complaining about how they can't get sex or girlfriends. I've offered at least twice to be some guy's girlfriend (while clarifying that I'm neither attractive nor nice and will never actually touch them) and they never answer.
One of us is very confused about the definition of the word "girlfriend". I'm pretty sure even the most hardcore "no sex before marriage" religious types are still allowed to hold hands.

Practical Demon posted:

Really? All he ever posts are far right wing screeds/long schizophrenic rants that are barely even connected to anything else being talked about in the thread. I know it's him posting within the first few words, even without seeing his av.
Once you know that's what he's doing it's fairly obvious, but it's still less clear than using quote tags, still completely unnecessary, and to someone who doesn't know the gimmick it just looks like he's an arsehole nutcase.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Off-topic, but an acquaintance of mine's girlfriend has no job, lives with him and his parents, and isn't physical with him at all. We don't think we've ever seen them hold hands in public. They've been together for years, so at least *one* person in the world is apparently okay with this scenario.
So they have separate rooms in his parents' house? He doesn't have a girlfriend, he has an adopted sister.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

God, the artifacts.

How does this even work? I mean, couldn't bankruptcy be considered a financial breakthrough?

God, can you even read? Don't ask questions!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How did they even artifact this so bad? I've played with generation loss and even twelve steps in I've never gotten it this heavy.

It's pretty easy if you set the compression to maximum:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Every person in the United States is part of the 1% globally (because no one in the US makes less than $32,400 a year apparently)."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

Deary, Batty, and Gale (2008a) and Schoon, Cheng, Gale, Batty, and Deary (2010) investigated the prospective association between general intelligence in childhood (ages 10 and 11, respectively) and a combined social-attitude measure of racism, social conservatism, and gender inequality in adulthood (ages 30 and 33, respectively), using large representative U.K. samples. Their results confirmed that children higher in mental ability were less likely to endorse socially conservative ideologies in adulthood. A reanalysis by Hodson and Busseri (2012) tested the effect of intelligence specifically on racial prejudice and found that greater general intelligence in childhood predicted less racism in adulthood (average correlation approximately −.22). Although cognitive ability conceptually and statistically predicts lower SES and education (Deary et al., 2008a; Schoon et al., 2010), direct predictive effects of cognitive ability on social attitudes remain after controlling for SES, education, and social background (see also Hodson & Busseri, 2012), ruling out these potential confounds.

Right-wing ideologies offer well-structured and ordered views about society that preserve traditional societal conventions and norms (e.g., Jost, Glaser, Kruglanski, & Sulloway, 2003). Such ideological belief systems are particularly attractive to individuals who are strongly motivated to avoid uncertainty and ambiguity in preference for simplicity and predictability ( Jost et al., 2003; Roets & Van Hiel, 2011). Theoretically, individuals with lower mental abilities should be attracted by right-wing social-cultural ideologies because they minimize complexity

Given the established relations between lower mental ability and adherence to socially conservative right-wing ideologies and between right-wing ideologies and prejudice, it is conceivable that mental abilities predict prejudice through socially conservative right-wing ideologies.

Deary, I. J., Batty, G. D., & Gale, C. R. (2008a). Bright children become enlightened adults. Psychological Science, 19, 1–6.
Hodson, G., & Busseri, M. A. (2012). Bright minds and dark attitudes: Lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice through right-wing ideology and low intergroup contact. Psychological Science, 23, 187–195.
Jost, J. T., Glaser, J., Kruglanski, A. W., & Sulloway, F. (2003). Political conservatism as motivated social cognition. Psychological Bulletin, 129, 339–375.
Roets, A., & Van Hiel, A. (2011). Allport’s prejudiced personality today: Need for closure as the motivated cognitive basis of prejudice. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 26, 349–354.
Schoon, I., Cheng, H., Gale, C. R., Batty, G. D., & Deary, I. J. (2010). Social status, cognitive ability, and educational attainment as predictors of liberal social attitudes and political trust. Intelligence, 38, 144–150.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I have used the Silent Hill wiki before to remind myself of information between episodes of a Voidburger LP, and it is sad and strange (but not surprising once thought about) that the people who have memorized every detail about a series of games might also have other interests that they are a little too obsessive with.

It's a sign of how amazingly easy and problem-free my life is that when I'm playing a game and I want to find out something about the setting, I actually get annoyed if it turns out that there isn't some absurdly detailed wiki devoted to that one specific video game. Come on internet weirdos, why aren't you catering to my every whim at all times?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

given that so many of the cloned troops died, you'd think it would be logical that the empire would start to recruit soldiers from it's territory
Not having any knowledge of the EU outside of having played a couple of the video games, I always assumed (after the prequels came out) that the clones were phased out by the time of the original trilogy and it was just volunteers or conscripts by that stage.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's hard for me to notice stereotypes like these, because the ones diffused here in Italy are sort of different (we don't have the "asians are smart" one but we do add "they have no hygiene" and "there are no Chinese funerals") but man, I feel like I should have noticed some of these.

She seemed more like a generic Love Interest to me.
I've read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies and basically all I remember about her is that she was Harry's girlfriend for a while but he clearly wasn't that into her so she broke up with him. How people can even care about such a nothing character is beyond me. I mean, if you're talking about a meta-level where Asian characters in anglosphere media are often stereotypical then yeah, she could be a fine example. But if you're just specifically a Harry Potter fan, why do you even care about this character?

Fathis Munk posted:

I really never got why those people are so afraid of colored people. As a white guy I can't say anyone ever stole my job or my woman or my heritage. And I mean it's not like our society has become biased in favor to POCs, on the contrary we haven't even reached equality yet. I'm working in academia and boy are POCs underrepresented at work.
I think the bolded facts may be related. The "stealing our jobs" rhetoric only works for jobs with essentially no barriers to entry that are also being phased out. Really it's cheaper overseas labour and increased efficiency that are reducing the number of jobs, but because those are the sort of jobs that immigrants without (recognised) qualifications can get, if you're working in that area you see more of your coworkers are immigrants and your job security is vanishing and it's not hard to put two and two together.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Honestly as a white guy I find it embarrassing how few main characters in movies aren't white dudes, so I just don't get these teats crying about the one movie were the main guys aren't white dudes.
If you don't think about the media you consume and you're used to 99% of everything being aimed specifically at you, then there's a cultural shift away from that and suddenly only 75% (or even 90%) of stuff is aimed at you, it feels like things are being taken away from you. "I used to be able to pick basically any movie at random and it would be great, but now a bunch of them are about poo poo I don't care about, movies are getting worse and worse!" If you don't stop to think about the people who weren't being targeted before and how they might not have been particularly interested in stuff aimed specifically at white, middle-class, men, then it's hard to see how there was even a problem. And even if you go one step further, it's easy to say "well, OK, this genre might have been aimed at my demographic, but what's wrong with that? I don't have a problem with other films existing, just as long as they're not replacing the stuff I like." It's hard to see things you're not looking for, so if you're the audience being catered to it's easy to assume that other audiences are also being catered to, you're just not seeing their stuff because it's not for you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

Because representation matters. I remember reading Harry Potter as a young child and being really bummed out when I found out Hermione wasn't a mixed girl like myself, because that was what I enthusiastically had made my brain think she was. :(
I don't see how this relates to what I said. :confused:

Sarcopenia posted:

It's also hosed up for someone like J.K. Rowling who's really into names having meaning to them to just plop a Korean name onto a Chinese girl.
I'm no expert, but from a quick Google it seems like "Cho Chang" is a fairly plausible name for a Chinese girl? This article says that there is a Chinese girls' name pronounced "Cho" but usually spelled "Qiu". The author of that article doesn't seem to have thought that was the right explanation for it, but it seems to make sense to me. Her parents probably wanted to call her Qiu but also not have everyone mispronounce it all her life. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

Yes, that is probably what the fictional parents of a fictional child did outside of the fictional story.

Glad we agree.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Probably fake news but lol at the url

Five dollars, million dollars.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Also that's a phrase not a thing.

Also it's not even a phrase.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cash crab posted:

Question: Do sites that share images like "SHARE IF U AGREE" get some kind of ad revenue based on shares and likes?

They get exposure so more people will like them so they'll be worth more to advertisers. It's an indirect benefit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Won't somebody please think of poor miss Poly Styrene?
It sounds like a joke, but it's an actual person.

Lie to the government about being single, where you live, how many children you have, and being disabled: It's perfectly legal!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm sorry to be That Guy but I do not get this one.

In addition to what Cleretic said, HENRY stands for High Earner, Not Rich Yet, meaning rich people who don't think they're rich.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Rarely do we need to go build poo poo, what we need is repair, maintenance and revitalization of our rapidly crumbling and underfunded/overtaxed infrastructure.

I'm pretty sure "go build poo poo" was intended as shorthand for repair and maintenance. The point was that if there's a whole lot of work that needs to be done, it's only reasonable to hire people to do it. If there's a lack of people with the right skills then you can include training as part of their employment, because the alternative is the work not getting done.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stuntman posted:

one of these things is not like the other
Canned mushrooms are perfectly fine. They're just mushrooms, in a can. :shrug:

Breetai posted:

If you can't cook and are proud of it, regardless of gender, you have no culture and should subsist on nothing but Soylent brand cumshakes until the heavy metals in it solve your problem for you.
Some people just don't care about food. If you're fine eating bland and repetitive meals, you don't really need to know how to cook. But if you enjoy food and don't cook, you're missing out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Guardian newspaper actually got a look at their supplies:

Bundy has repeatedly said the group is prepared for the long-haul. However during a tour of the site on earlier in the day, the Guardian was shown a food storage room that did not look like it could sustain a dozen men for more than a few weeks.

It included a cardboard box of apples and oranges, a few dozen pots of instant ramen, 24 cans of chicken noodle soup, a similar number of cans of sweetcorn, peas, beans and chili, and 20 boxes of macaroni and cheese.

There were also three sacks of potatoes, one bag of flour, another of rolled oats, boxes of raisins, a single bag of pretzels and one granola bar.
A few weeks seems optimistic to me. I guess the boxes, bags and sacks could be bigger than I'm picturing, but that sounds like it'd barely last a week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Goosed it. posted:

But what were they going to mix with the flour? They literally can't make anything except some sort of water-flour paste.

Or bread, assuming they have a heat source.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Optus is running ads in different languages in different areas based on languages spoken by locals. Racists are not happy.

More examples here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You know what really bothers me about this? "Y'all" is a pronoun, not a proper noun.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

You're sound asleep when you hear a thump outside your bedroom door.
Half-awake, and nearly paralyzed with fear, you hear muffled whispers.
At least two people have broken into your house and are moving your way.
With your heart pumping, you reach down beside your bed and pick up your shotgun.
In the darkness, you make out two shadows.
One holds something that looks like a crowbar.
When the intruder brandishes it as if to strike, you raise the shotgun and fire.
The blast knocks both thugs to the floor.
One writhes and screams while the second man crawls to the front door and lurches outside.
Police arrive and inform you that the second burglar has died.
They arrest you for First Degree Murder and Illegal Possession of a Firearm.
I just don't get the mindset of anyone who reads this and doesn't think "Good." Maniac with a shotgun murdered someone and was arrested.

quote:

The next day, the shooting is the lead story in the local newspaper. Somehow, you're portrayed as an eccentric vigilante
Because you are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Boz0r posted:

I'm not a native english speaker, but when he says "been sat at the computer", isn't that like someone put you there? Like your parents put you in the chair and ordered you to play games?

Technically it should be "been sitting at the computer" but people say "sat" like that all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

"I will not listen to any news source that doesn't constantly and unrelentingly insult the party that I don't like."

I'm a pretty hardcore liberal, but I'm not gonna cover my ears every time people start talking about political strategies for the right, especially because she's talking about a fairly liberal public access station. Also lol at "white liberal complacency" she's white

Doesn't seem like a bad post to me at all, other than the last two sentences (which are obvious posturing). In the supposed interest of fairness (but actually in the interest of maintaining good relationships with powerful organisations and individuals) various media organisations give an audience and implied credibility to views that they should be, at the very least, questioning if not outright challenging.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

American politics is easier to understand once you realise that "liberal" and "conservative" are just words for "goodie" and "baddie", the application of which depends on your own personal outlook.
Nah, they're just synonyms for Democrat and Republican, utterly divorced from their dictionary definitions.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

In all fairness, libertarians are liberals. Then again, so are most American conservatives, so.
This is true, but Americans never use the word "liberal" that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tramsosMAI posted:

So I said to myself "there's no way this whole health campaign actually happened without ANYONE knowing the connotations of 'the D', right? That couldn't have happened"... then my uncle told me (a teacher) to give my students Ds and frankly I laughed forever.

And then out of nowhere he just said "I hate rap." :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I don't know if Blue is a glutton for punishment or if he just has the patience of whatever's Islam's equivalent of Job is.
That would be Job.

subpar anachronism posted:

How can you tell if someone is a vegan? Wait for them to constantly post on facebook about how hard it is to be an upstanding, harassed vegan.
I'm not a vegan, but I'm not a big fan of cake. When someone asks me if I want cake, I often say "No thanks." and then they just don't give me any cake. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The only thing that scares me about babies is how angry I get around them. Their screams make me so angry...like violently angry. Eve their "happy sounds" like giggles and babbling make me feel like that. It's scary how I go from a normal person to feeling like that within less than a minute.

Sari M. van Anders, Richard M. Tolman & Brenda L. Volling posted:

baby cries alone significantly increased [testosterone] in men when no nurturant response was possible

Carly K. Peterson & Eddie Harmon-Jones posted:

As predicted, an increase in testosterone was associated with greater anger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

????
this cannot seriously be a thing

If you want to continue to believe this, do not look up the individual known as Roosh V.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Isn't one of them advocating that rape should be legal as long as it's on private property or something?

Yep, that's Roosh. :eng101:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/heraldsunreader/status/693588828871733249

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I love how ridiculous these things are. Like, if you have a glass of wine with dinner each night and a couple of beers on the weekend, that's more than your 8 drinks a week. If you have three beers in three hours? That's over four standard drinks and you're binge drinking. Oh, and "might be pregnant"? So I guess if you're a woman who's had sex with a man recently, no drinks for you. You never know!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Drinking too much can lead to people making silly decisions.

What silly decisions do you think a person is likely to make if they have a glass of wine with dinner? Or *GASP* three beers in an afternoon!? I wasn't saying that you can drink as much as you want and be fine, I'm saying the amounts they specify in their guidelines are absurdly low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, but Tiggum is going mental over the posted image.

I said it was "ridiculous" and "absurd". I don't know what your definition of "going mental" is, but it seems you have a much lower threshold for what counts than I do. :shrug: