Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

Somehow that's worse.

Anyway, right now I have some smokers trying to argue with me that discarded butts don't cause fires and it's all a conspiracy. Even after I posted a video of a firefighter starting a grassfire with a cigarette as a public service announcement. I guess BIG FIRE is trying to stifle are freedoms! :downs:

Even putting aside the potential for fire, what kind of jackass just litters like that? I smoke a whopping two packs a month and even I carry around this little ashtray on my keychain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

wow made me think

This is somebody's fetish, I'm sure of it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

As someone who's been going grey since like fifteen and started going bald recently, sometimes it's hard not to get a chip on your shoulder about it when every other person you meet feels the need to go "Hey, did you know you've got a few grey hairs?" "Looks like you're losing your hair hur hur hur" every few conversations. :argh: Then again I'm more annoyed by the repetition than anything, if someone came up to me every day "That's a blue shirt you're wearing!" I'd probably start getting cranky at that, too.

Hey, I didn't know Colin Mochrie was a goon

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Even if closing your legs all the way was uncomfortable, it's not like you need to spread yourself way the gently caress out when sitting down. Christ. Manspreading isn't a new thing either, it's been a problem for at least a hundred years.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Carrie Fisher talks about how hollywood has not changed its stance on making actors conform to beauty standards, and talks about how she was told she needed to lose weight to play Leia again. I think its pretty understandable to be annoyed at how the industry dictates what your body should look like. Naturally, the people in the comments don't see it the same way and start ripping her apart for having an opinion.
http://www.people.com/article/carrie-fisher-weight-loss-star-wars?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Wasn't it Carrie Fisher that had a really bad amphetamine problem because she was being pressured so much to stay thin?

e: I was thinking of Grace Lee Whitney from the original Star Trek, it was a coke problem that Carrie Fisher had

e2: not that she's wrong here, though

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Dec 2, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Has since been deleted from her account

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fathis Munk posted:

:laffo: are we on the way back to hieroglyphs?

:yeah:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nothing burns me quite like when somebody is right, except for completely the wrong reason.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Soon? They've still got like a year before then.

The days are so long, but the years are so quick. :smith:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

Every gun owner should turn it on themselves and blow their loving brains out imo

Harsh, but fair

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ifunny.c :)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

It's ok to have nothing but senseless violence but can't have a woman slap her own rear end

It's Street Fighter, though. Do the characters even show battle damage?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The character's bare rear end and exposed abs and breasts surely aren't a problem either!

The whole drat thing is problematic, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDSvRMc9rQ

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ratbert90 posted:

What in the god drat gently caress Capcom? What is this poo poo?

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and point out that the thing at the end with the rear end to the face is at least a real move in women's wrestling

oldpainless posted:

Look like a proud woman confident of her body and fighting ability.

Ah yes, the Powergirl defense.

e: ""I wear this comically oversexualized costume because I'm empowered" - a woman" - a man

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

D'awwwww

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
While we're on the subject of the singular they, I'd like to point out that it has existed as far back as Shakespeare and also that linguistic prescriptivists should go gently caress themselves.

e: looking at you, Strunk and White

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

what's wrong with this?

It's bootstraps.jpeg

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's worth pointing out that Kojima is equal opportunity when it comes to ridiculous oversexualization

twistedmentat posted:

Also, those turn PP into a tender love story between Snake and Ocelot.

I'm pretty sure that's already canon

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stoatbringer posted:

There was no Stallone version. :colbert:

Excuse me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys,

guys

guys

Let me tell you all about how much I love/hate Undertale/people who talk about Undertale

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Who wants some Pure Platinum grade insanity?

If you click one link in the IOSM thread this year... make it this one.

It just keeps going :stare:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BJPaskoff posted:

I also might follow this VoidBurger dude on Twitter.

Voidburger's an uncaring female who will NEVER KNOW THE PAIN OF MALE GENITAL MUTILATION

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, it almost sounded like he was tripping on a weird research chemical or something

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just so we're all on the same page, water having a memory is how homeopathy is supposed to work

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Artist's rendition of the sexiest female character after the Street Fighter V SJW takeover

What does the soul of a young boy who's trapped inside a suit of armor even need with a loincloth, anyway

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This was before release. None of the people ranting here have played the game. It's not enough that it's good because it's a Zelda game and it therefore must be perfect by default. Part of it is straight up bigotry, but part of the vitriol is in part that mentality.

What's funny is that in hindsight, an 8.8 was way too generous.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it that so many people put spaces before their punctuation ?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Transmogrifier posted:

Chances are they're posting from a mobile phone and most apps tend to automatically insert a space after a word.

I double checked this now just to be sure, but on the iphone at least it automatically removes the space when you finish the sentence.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think that authors have any input on the book covers, do they?

Laverna posted:

Basically it doesn't matter and everyone will be cast as white when it's made into a movie anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

It's not just movies based on books that do that

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I had to read an Alex Cross novel for class once, and I got all the way to the end before realizing that the main character was supposed to be black. I even looked the movie up partway through reading it and saw they had casted Tyler Perry for the role, and I didn't think anything of it

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

grittyreboot posted:

What kinda class makes you read airport novels?

A pop culture class. There were three other novels assigned to different students, one was Fifty Shades, another was a cheap knockoff of Fifty Shades that was capitalizing on its popularity, and I forget what the last one was but it wasn't good either.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Even if it were real, it still wouldn't be the best Wheel of Fortune thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybUmXzsKrOM

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cosima posted:

Good to know. My dad's girlfriend is hesitant to use the microwave (because cancer???)

Just for the record, all a microwave does is hit your food with a big magnet a bunch. The magnetic field sorta bounces around in there, and when it passes through a water molecule it drags the positive and negative poles with it. This makes them vibrate, which is what causes heat.

This is worth knowing because the type of people who think microwaves cause cancer are generally the same type of people who think that magnets will heal you.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

what, no

Magnetism is involved but is not the mechanism by which things get heated. That's done by, you know, microwaves. Which are generated by using a magnetic field. If it used a magnetic field to heat your food it would be called a magnoven or something.

Okay, fine. A high-frequency alternating electromagnetic field, most commonly known as microwave radiation, is what heats the food. The magnetron is only there to generate that effect, which is does by creating a magnetic field. Happy now?

It really seems like you're splitting hairs here. This might just be one of those things that I don't know enough about to see the difference, but the gist of what I said is correct.

quote:

The commonly used frequency of microwaves, 2.45 gigahertz, is easily absorbed by water, fat, and sugar. Says Bloomfield: "The waves are at the right frequency to penetrate deep into food and they deliver cooking power primarily to the food's water content. Water-free solids barely absorb microwaves." That's why microwave-safe containers don't get as hot as the food inside them.

Microwaves heat food, like a cup of coffee or a slice of lasagna, by twisting water molecules back and forth. Water molecules are positively charged at one end and negatively charged at the other. A single water molecule looks like Mickey Mouse's head, says Bloomfield. You can think of the negatively charged oxygen atom as Mickey's face and the two smaller positively charged hydrogen atoms as Mickey's ears.

The positively charged end of the water molecule tries to align itself with the microwave's electric field while the negatively charged end points the other way. But because the field reverses 2.5 billion times a second, Mickey's ears and face are being twisted back and forth rapidly.

As the molecules twist back and forth, they rub into each other. This creates friction, which produces heat.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-do-microwaves-work-2014-6

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gross Dude posted:

Are these from when African Americans were first allowed to vote?

Also, what is question 30?

It's from 1964. Question 30 I'm pretty sure is to draw 5 circles that [share] one common interlocking part. I'm not really sure what that would look like, but that's the point.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Je suis fatigue posted:

I don't understand what "draw a line around" means. They say to circle something in question 5 so it's not some colloquial way to say to circle something as far as I can tell.

Well gee, maybe that's the point ?? It's almost as if they didn't want people to be able to solve it

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

That editorial article doesn't seem very... reliable. I note that it doesn't indicate why she was arrested. I suspect she was drunk and beligerent or something.

Here's the judgment from her denied appeal. Note that "she sued the police department," but the article doesn't note that she loving lost, and she lost her appeal.
http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/unpub/14/14-20464.0.pdf

Yep. Officer arrested her because some evidence suggested that Cooper had been lying about having been sitting there watching them.

gently caress I hate smug editorials that leave out key information.

B-b-b-but but liberals :qq:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

...are you serious?

Dude just empited his gun on a body on the floor?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laquan-mcdonald-video_5654e329e4b079b281897fc2

Yes, there's a video if you want to see for yourself. Don't act so surprised, we're long past the point where anybody should be expecting better from the cops in America.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goose fleet posted:

A single mother making a loving quarter million a year has to pay a little over three thousand more dollars and this is portrayed as a bad thing while the media finds it OK to mock a single mother on food stamps struggling to pay her bills and rent and tries to portray her as some welfare queen living the dream on taxpayer money and this is somehow this is all Just and Right

You mean the WSJ is a shitpile? :eyepop:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The US military, 2016: giving an all new meaning to the word MANPADS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought it was a nice message and was wondering what the problem was here. Then I googled Bob Dylan real quick and found out he wasn't dead.

I thought it was a comment on his religion, but then I realized it was Cat Stevens I was thinking of.