Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

goose fleet posted:

I'd love to see the citations on that but I'm pretty sure it's just more of the same pop psych/bio that gets regurgitated in lovely magazines

Not even that, it's just some lovely 'trick' to get blowjobs.

Like that stupid 'nude women's protest against burqas' macro that's been going around forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Some light IoSM after I was excited for the first snowfall that is actually sort of accumulating:

I agree with all those other idiots.

Snow sucks once you're older than 12.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Is there some sort of term for that? Like a posts-to-Hitler/WW2 quotient? I feel like there is but I forgot what, and if there isn't there should be.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SpacePig posted:

e:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, what he said.

Isn't that Godwin's Law?

Oh yeah, duh. Just slipped my mind.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Joking aside it's been a long time since i've read Harry Potter, didn't the Durselys more or less just pretend Harry didn't exist? I can't remember any straight up abuse that's ever mentioned in the books.

There was actually lots. The adults would take swings at Harry but I don't know that they'd connect, including once with a cast iron frying pan. They'd ignore Dudley hitting Harry or encourage him. His room was a tiny broom closet that they'd lock him in. They'd regularly near starve him. They'd have him do grueling chores, starting at a very young age (way beyond just building character or whatever).

+ heaps load of emotional abuse, like insulting him and his parents, discourage him from doing well at school, and so on.

Like Harry's life was pretty hosed up. It's not a deep reading or anything and the series (less so the later ones but the early ones especially) is meant for kids so it's not going to have some traumatized husk for a hero, but yeah, I don't think it's too idiotic to notice that there's some really dark stuff that gets kind of gets glossed over in a children's book although honestly that just carries on the tradition from beyond even Dahl, but like the og brothers grimm.

e; the super overdramatic presentation tumblrs often go for kind of undermines their point, though

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Apr 9, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I love the "Stupid men can't be blond". What is that supposed to mean? How is it a problem? Lots of men bleach their hair and no one cares. Why complain about always being assumed to be smart?

I think they're trying to say that being blonde is an excuse for being dumb. Like if a blonde lady does something dumb no one judges her because she's blonde, it just gets laughed off, but a dumb man doesn't get that leeway.

Except that's complete bullshit, of course, for many many reasons.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

involuntary celibate

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That link doesn't work.

Worked for me, but the gist of it is that side effects were popping up in greater frequency and magnitude than earlier tests had predicted, which meant something was going wrong, somewhere.

That this drug was sent back to the drawing board is a sign that the FDA is doing its job- not that men didn't want to put up the side effects (actually many of the test subjects said that it was worth it).

Women's birth control having such crap side effects is still very lovely, and is a product of both laxer regulations from the era, mixed with a hefty dose of sexism, yeah. But for women of the era, "no baby" was worth the price, even if they were ones paying it.

It's impossible to know if this male drug would have been accepted by the FDA in the 50s, or if the pill would be passed today, (which would be clear indicators of sexist reasoning), but in conclusion, essentially the FDA shouldn't lower its standards in the interest of fairness, because low standards helped to create the unfairness. Instead focus should be focused on improving the women's pill + making sure the male version does what they think it will do (although having expected side effects are alright).

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Jan 22, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Now tell me why we need a White History Month.

I'm... pretty sure that that picture was suggesting the exact opposite of what you think it did.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

Mention that Saudi Arabia is where 9/11 Terrorists came from.

where do the other two come from

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LordGugs posted:

Wow now I feel like a cockhead, I'm sure this person is really sympathetic to the refugees from these areas.

100% chance their image of the prosecuted christains are white

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

See...

When a white person does something bad, it's because they're a lovely individual.

When a POC does something bad, it's because they're a POC.

Makes total loving sense! :downsgun:

and the reverse, when a white person does something great they're a credit to all whites

when a poc does something great, they're 'one of the good ones'

substitute men/women, straight/gay, christian/not, etc. etc.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

well that's not something you see everyday

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

They weren't actually in black-and-white in real life.

yeah they were-

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, they were just white.

damnit

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Untrustable posted:

All this math chat is killing me. I almost failed out of high school because I can't do algebra. My brain refuses to understand it. I don't know what the deal is but no amount of tutors and private lessons could get me through basic algebra 1. I can't do most math in my head which is funny because I run a business and I'm great at business math. That's actually what saved me from dropping out of school. I took a semester of business math and a semester of geometry to get the credits I needed to graduate. It's shameful but I can't even do long division without a calculator. I can't multiply past 1 digit numbers without a calculator. Example: 22X57...couldn't even guess at what that might be without a calculator. I excelled at every other subject but my brain outright rejects math. It sucks in a way because I always wanted to be an engineer or an architect but there's too much math involved. I like the business I'm in now but I feel like I missed out by not knowing math.

think of it like, break it down or round it off into numbers you can work with more easily.

so 22x57: round it up to 22x60. That's a bit nicer, right? Just gotta remember you have three 'extra' 22s. So 22 x 60 - 3x22.

3 x 22 is pretty simple, we'll just solve it for 66. You could break it down into 3 x 20 + 3 x 2 if you had to though.

So at this point we are just remembering three numbers: 22 needs to be multiplied by 60, and we have to subtract 66.

Probably you could quickly or intuitively figure it's 1320 - 66, but we'll break down 22 into 20 + 2, so it becomes 20 x 60 = 1200, + 2 x 60 = 120.

1200 + 120 - 66 = 1254.

Now you write it all out, it looks pretty unwieldy. But actually doing it in your head is not bad at all. Hell, I learned the formal way (cross multiply), then just started doing 'common core' way on my own in my head when I didn't have a calculator, without even knowing it was common core. Realizing that kids are just getting taught the way I was already doing it was a big "ooohhhh" moment, and I'd wager a LOT of people are doing something very similar. Maybe not exactly the same steps or order as I did, but not cross multiplying.

Hell, anyway, depending on how exact you need to be, you could practically just say gently caress it and go with 20x60 = 1200 and you're not that far off if all you need is a quick estimate for a bit, until you can get a calculator for the precise answer. And the idea is that common core is going to teach you to make that intuitive leap much better than slavishly being devoted to working it out "properly" in full.

And yes, Tiggum, you could cross multiply:

2 x 7 = 14
2 x 50= 100
7 x 20 = 140
20 x 50 = 1000

Add 'em all up for 1254. But at each point you still have to remember the answers you calculated earlier- by the end you're trying to hold each line's answer in your head while doing the next, or add them up on the fly as you go. Some people can do that, some can't, which is where alternative methods are useful.

Especially if you start getting into even bigger numbers. If you were trying to multiply two 6 digit figures, the amount of work required to cross multiply goes up heavily, while the common core process scales much better.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Nov 6, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I'm having uncomfortable flashbacks to high school. I'm reading what it says and going over it again and again and I'm getting that same old feeling of hopeless frustration I felt through school when a tutor tried to explain it to me. I know there are words, explaining numbers, but I just can't figure it out. Even step by step I can't figure it.

Edit: I'm just seeing kindly old Mr. Bumgardner shaking his head and asking why I can't understand. It's a weird feeling.

Well, hey. Guess what really it's all pointless because everyone carries a computer around in their pocket now anyway, so don't sweat it!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Idk my parents always told me give my great aunt a kiss when we were getting out of the car to go in for Christmas and I did it despite it being gross and I'm no worse for the wear

mmmm you say that but now you post on something awful so I dunno

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

If I had a kerjillion dollars I'd get them to build an exact replica of the horrible housing abominations I made in the Sims as a child

then make a reality show about other people trying to live there for a year

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Heh, you think it's bad when I point a gun at you? Well, that's only one part of things. It takes two to tango buddy, and your refusal to give me all your money certainly isn't helping this little situation we've found ourselves in

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think half this thread is based on people using terms they don’t understand

inconceivable