Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Your grandson started crying because he read the words "ALL COPS ARE BUTTHOLES"? How loving fragile can...wait, is he a cop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Popehat is probably one of the best defenders of free speech America has, because he knows his poo poo, is proactive, and doesn’t help Nazis.

He even (eventually) kicked one out of the group blog. Clark something.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Wasn't he somehow related to the Dark Enlightenment and Less Wrong crowd?

That was Clark. He was purged by this guy people like, Ken.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Aramek posted:

I dunno what less wrong means when you all say it, but law types should probably be less wrong, yeah.

It's a Reddit for precocious cuddle-puddle transhumanists and their facist-adjacent friends.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Arivia posted:

Their idea of hell is an AI so smart it time-travels back to ruin the lives of everyone who didn't help make it. It is incredibly loving stupid.

No no no. Time travel isn't possible.

The AI will make perfect simulations of the people who could have helped it, but didn't, being hellishly tortured. That's not just possible, but inevitable!

Oh, and before you say that you don't even care what would happen to your flawless duplicate, read this crank treatise on quantum mechanics to learn why your decision-theory is childish and inconsistent!!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

That's just a standard utilitarianism thought experiment. Although I feel like it's usually used as an argument against utilitarianism, not an actual moral guideline.

It works, because they are, as a group, an ad absurdum argument against some forms of utilitarianism, like how reducing-suffering.org is inadvertently an argument against veganism and vegetarianism as ethical positions.

"Animal suffering is bad, therefore let's trigger mass extinctions and collapse the biosphere to just insects and jellyfish. This might have the additional benefit of preventing humanity from spreading to additional planets."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

what a sklodowska that guy

e: turn's out that's marie curie's middle name

Doc Hawkins has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Apr 17, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

jivjov posted:

It isn't a new trend by any means; but lately there's been a big surge of TERFs who loudly proclaim that they have no gender, gender is a tool of the patriarchy to oppress women, only sex matters, trans people totally deserve respect...but only if they stop invading women's locker rooms etc.

So recycling good rhetoric on race into horrific rhetoric on gender. Gross, but clever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/robinhanson/status/989535565895864320

Screencap of a bit of this thread. I have more if he deletes it:

I remember this being the guy who assigns all his TAs projects to research exactly how much negative utility people assign being cucked in dollars, and who just cannot shut up about how the Hmong are gonna outbreed us all.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Weatherman posted:

I showed my wife those pictures of the young girl who was having a "Japanese tea party" at home while wearing a kids' kimono -- the pictures that the Internet went up in arms about over "cultural appropriation" and how it was "insulting to the Japanese" and all that.

She said "oh, that's cute. But the belt is tied the wrong way." I specifically asked her if she was offended by what the kid was doing and she looked at me like I had two heads. IIRC after I explained how the Internet was gasping for breath over the pictures, she said something like "I think you should stop reading the Internet."

I guess the moral is that white people shouldn't immediately start screeching ":byodame: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!!!!!!!!" if they don't actually know anything about the culture in question.

edit: Also Western clothing styles were literally appropriated here and are now the norm. Where are the Tumblrites protesting at the Japanese embassy about this horrible transgressions against Western culture?

Take your own advice and stop being bothered by something you don't understand.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

I have literally never met a non white person who cares about cultural appropriation.

How fascinating. Good thing you told us.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So who are you ingratiating yourself with right now?

No no no, other people irrationally follow social hierarchies, whereas I kindly but dispassionately consider what is optimal.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tiresias2 posted:

This is an interesting remark because it sheds light on, at least what I'll call, the relativity of subjectivity. I think Nietzsche once said he could explain any philosopher's philosophy through their neuroses. Well, I have some very misogynistic thoughts some times but then I remind myself that I haven't had a friend that is a woman in a while, and that I usually have these thoughts when I'm alone, and that the information I have acquired in life is perhaps not only not sufficient for a generalization, but based on faulty premises about what is generally good and bad for an individual to do, and so it would hardly be justified of me to systematically create a world-view based on these thoughts.

The term is usually actor-observer bias.

You're showing some good self-awareness here, but sadly your condition is not the kind you can think your way out of. Are you talking to anyone professionally?

quote:

Edit: That was very self-centered of me, but I would like to think that you could be relatively dispassionate and objective too, and so could anyone else.

Oh, sir is so generous! :nallears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

There will always be people who see that others are doing/liking different things and label them negatively. gently caress those people. Be who you are and be proud of it!

Unless you're a furry. Then you can gently caress right off.

Furries aren't as useful of a category as they used to be, we're all about nazis these days.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SpacePig posted:

You say this like there aren't Nazi furries or something.

No, that's exactly what I mean: dividing into "furry" and "not furry" has become less useful than "fashy" and "not fashy."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/Pomp_a_romp/status/993931803902668800

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dogs At Any Size.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Gonna be straight with you: I've never heard of Umberto Eco before now and had to Google the legible text in that gif to find out where it comes from.

Now I'm confused about what the emote means because I thought it was supposed to be mocking people who speak pseudo-intellectual gibberish :shrug:

Did you read the essay? It's pretty short and self-explanatory.

ETA: Eco was old enough to remember the Mussolini years, so he's not pulling this stuff completely out of his rear end.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

They're just cornmeal-fried catch-of-the-day banh mi.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Takoluka posted:

If games journalism is so bad, why don't people just... ignore it?

:confused: What else is there besides bad things, and displaying contempt for bad things?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I hear the cops told her to bring her complaints to the next city council meeting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Not quite as good as masaokis failing to make an egg-white omelette.

he thought the shells were the whites

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I was in Dublin once. Me and a friend of mine.

We're walking down the sidewalk, chatting about some inanity, I'm probably laughing at my own jokes as usual, when a guy who was passing us in the other direction stops and says something to me.

I mean, like I said, I had been talking, laughing! I hadn't expected someone to suddenly talk to me. And it's not like he was speaking very loudly. But there he stands, looking right at me, waiting expectantly. Hard to read his expression, really. Confused?

I definitely didn't here what he said, so I stop and say "Sorry, what was that?"

He says it again.

I didn't catch it. I mentally play the noises back. I've got nothing. Well, maybe he has a strong accent. I can deal with this. I make an embarrassed face, and say "I'm really sorry, what was that?"

He speaks again. Says something different this time.

He has my full attention. It's a quiet street. I have no idea what he just said. It's...a language? Probably? Was it words, and not just sounds?

I figure it out. He's not really all here. Drugs, mental disability, column a, column b, the point is there's nothing for me to decipher, nothing I can help him with, so I do that non-committal smile of disengagement and say "haha, yeah" and walk on.

After we get some distance, my friend finally speaks up. "Holy poo poo, that was crazy."

"Yeah, I wonder what was wrong with him. Could you understand anything?"

"Are you serious? He was speaking English. He said 'Are you laughing at me?' and 'Are you an Englishman?'"

So, like you'd expect from my posting, it turned out I was the one with the mental disability. At least it protected me from getting my rear end kicked.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MoreLikeTen posted:

Why do people do this? This is like half a decade of unnoticed, unliked racist tweets! What could that do other than torpedo you later???

"I'm just saying what everyone's thinking. Humorless SJWs may get mad, but normal people like us know what's up and how to have a little laugh now and then. oh and also:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm reminded of the line in The Fountainhead which got the biggest laugh from me:

Super-cool Industrial Ubermensch Gail Wynand, Ayn Rand's nearly ideal male character posted:

There's so much nonsense about human inconstancy and the transience of all emotions. I've always thought that a feeling which changes never existed in the first place. There are books I liked at the age of sixteen. I still like them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If anti-trans rhetoric holds no responsibility for anti-trans violence, anti-terf speech can't be responsible for anti-terf violence. Sorry, that's the rules, hope your friend never fully recovers from their injuries.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Agreed, Aries is the best.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Come on, John Cleese's shtick has always been to be rude and speak offensively. He insulted Graham Chapman in his funeral.

And you're offering all this in his defense.

I think back on Cleese's classic roles in and beyond Monty Python, and nothing especially offensive comes to mind. I guess he saved it for funerals.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, exactly.

Post your Fawlty Towers episode tiers:

Communication Problems & Basil the Rat
v
The Germans & Touch of Class
v
v
v
v
the rest (still at least pretty good)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Not posting a screenshot because there's no way to trim it of too revealing information but my home town's only funeral director just posted news about a heat warning advisory for the region with the caption "Best news ever!" on Facebook.

:rip:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Master Twig posted:

The problem with cooperative games, is that you have a real competitive player, they can tend to try to dominate the game and dictate what other people do, and get mad if another player makes the "wrong" move. I've seen it happen way too many times. Hell, I used to do it before I developed some self awareness about how much of a jackass I was being.

Seems to me that is not necessarily a problem with the game that you've identified.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

No one would dare abort a Chad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

Late but, a Dormmamohel?

criminy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

How can suburbs possibly be cleaner than urbs? they have hundreds of times more dirt

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ali G gave the best interview of Dick Cheney we'll probably ever see.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

for those interested there is a jorbum peteypie thread somewhere

he's still very appropriate for this one tho

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Aramek posted:

That's two things I hate.

bad people on both sides, i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Looked at the thread. He edited it to use asterisks... then he turned it into "Muslim."

WAYYYYYY TOO LATE

Enjoy this window into the thought process of everyone who's ever said "I'm not racist because Muslim isn't a race."