Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Pastry of the Year posted:

what the gently caress is even going on with streaming, I am relatively old and I don't get it and why is this person who ostensibly plays video games while strangers chat at him and give him money (to which: ?!?!??!?!) sitting there babbling like a hack comedian who just watched a 20/20 segment about that "gangster rap" and loving around with a loaded gun

I wouldn't watch this brainwormed nonsense even if I were drifting through space in an escape pod with zero hope of human contact

You should meet one of my former co-workers. He was a socially awkward, but acted cocky as poo poo to try and hide it. I tried to befriend the kid (he was in his early 20s) a bunch of times, but he was just straight up irritating and massively opinionated. He kept having problems socializing and nobody wanted to be around him because of how alienating his behavior was.

I know that's seems like a lot of irrelevant info, but bear with me. We were in the office the week before Christmas and it was dead with no paper work to catch up on. I noticed he was watching some stream on Twitch and starting talking to him about it. He explained that you could vote with money to decide what karaoke songs would be on stream and bragged about putting down something like $50 in the last hour or so. I just kinda smiled and assumed I had heard him wrong and moved on.

The week after, he started talking to me about a tabletop game I play called Killteam. It's a small skirmish game with models and dice. He told me the same group of streamers was playing Killteam the night before. I talked to him a bit about the game and he informed me that viewers could donate to add enemies to the board and make it harder for either team. Specifically, you could drop an big unit on the board for $100. I flat out laughed and said that was loving stupid. He was so visibly offended that after trying to defend it, he stormed off to his desk and didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. He probably did it once or twice if his reaction was anything to go by.

Moral of the story: streamers are purchasable internet friends that people use as social crutches. They end up identifying with a streamer's success seeing it as their own success as well since it was the donations that made it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I watch some Twitch streamers on a regular basis, not all of them are money-grubbers like this, but some of them do do it for some of their living. I usually stop at subscribing to their channels. If they have a small enough viewer base and they have good attitude it can just be fun.

Doing it for a living is fine and there are plenty of streamers that are cool about it. Those people are uncommon. I more just wanted to highlight the kind of people that get way too into streamers. Streamers who are okay with taking advantage of others with mental issues should be sent to Mars to die with Musk and his ilk.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

Sounds like chud streamers are just male findommes

New thread title, please.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Please tell me this is one of those fakes chuds make up to try and give credence to their lunacy. Pretty please?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

It's his show. I don't see why he should stop.

Frankly, airing the idiots makes it easier to identify them and pick apart their arguments. It incites discussion and catches the attention of intellectuals from opposing sides of the guest's specialty. In the ensuing critiques, you can learn more about the topic. It may even bring people over who wouldn't have previously thought that there was anything wrong with the way they were looking at things.

That only happens if you let them talk and draw criticism. Let people prove how crazy they really are.

You don't fight Nazis with words, you fight them with fists. Once they're on the ground, you can politely explain why they're dumb and wrong.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

system doesn't work, olds in denial and addicted to internet browbeating

pathetic

The system is working perfectly for the people running it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Has anybody said Dingus Khan? That's a personal favorite. Adding "weapons grade" to a mundane insult is pretty good as well. E.g. Weapons grade moron, weapons grade rear end, weapons grade middle management.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

This is IoSM on all fronts. For those who don't know the steamer, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/UlJgGjGVtyM

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Idiots on Social Media: Welcome to the Geat Awakening.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

This whole thing reminds me of a math teacher I had in high school that got super mad if students didn't understand something right away. Lots of people basically stopped asking questions and then he got more mad when we did poorly on tests.

The real IoSM are the users we meet along the way.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Alternatively, just let the person know what they said or did was ignorant and rude. Then point them in the generally correct direction. Nobody asked you to give a seminar on the topic. Having a melty and then not explaining doesn't do anything productive. In any situation, if you call something out and aren't willing to offer a modicum of clarification then you have perpetuated the issue. Learning through mistakes is a big part of life.

E: what the poster above me said

d3lness has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

FFT posted:

TERFs exist, they aren't a fantasy race, what's with pluralizing it like that

I'm going to assuming they didn't know TERF is an acronym. Kinda like how HODLer is always in full caps.