Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
gently caress Dick Dorkins. I guess fighting meaningless slacktivism with meaningless slacktivism is like fighting fire with fire, except that it doesn't actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bleughmacaroni posted:

I must be a dumbass because I really don't get what I'm looking at, or what the caption means.

I think the child's parents can't afford school fees, so he is going to do some kind of business with the wooden box (shoe shines?)

Maybe a terrible illustration from a terrible book about some poverty-stricken but plucky child in the 1920s. In some country where they had school fees and child shoe shiners. And looked like potatoes.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bleughmacaroni posted:

D'aww, I wish there was a thread full of feel good things like this. :3:

I miss Titanic Man. :sigh:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, it's English/Gender studies. The student in question has a bad habit of expressing things poorly in conversation, so I've given this project the benefit of the doubt to that extent, but when the project takes an attitude toward disability the same way that "Queering" gets used.....

ugh.

Ok I'm done thinking about this.

This person is brilliant at being lazy because there was tons of work done on this in the 70s and 80s that nobody reads anymore. Deleuze and Guattari's Anti-Oedipus, for instance, or the issue of Semiotext(e) that was written entirely by mental hospital patients. You could just basically do a book report on "weird poo poo that used to get people tenure" bam, done.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

veggiebacon posted:

I thought my facebook thread was relatively harmless idiots. But if you went off of what a very vocal few keep posting, you'd swear every mass shooting ever in America was done by Muslims being paid off by our government. Apparently f we hadn't elected Obummer none of this would have happened.

I feel like this California shooting needs extra points of something, because it was a combo platter of "radical extremist terrorism" and "disgruntled former employee."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

In before someone posts the "Preacher" panel, because as always those white supremacists are their own best counter-argument.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I love how in every goddamned Internet thread about female teacher/male student statutory rape, some of the dudes are all "hey, it's hot, that kid's lucky, feminazis need to chill about this" and some of the dudes are all "this is all because feminazis don't hold women criminals responsible".

Feminazis! What can't they do!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I am not going to read that article because I want to believe that it says Hillary would whop Donald Trump with her chancleta.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Practical Demon posted:

Literally just hobo symbols from the Great Depression.

Yes, but the caption adds a touch of :britain: racism, so.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

mng posted:

It was liked by a someone from Australia, even. Romas sure get around :v:

"Pikeys" are Irish Travellers, not Roma, right? Or am I out of touch with racist slurs?

Are there many Roma or Travellers in Australia, anyway, or was that guy just thumbs upping on general principle?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

There were jobs programs during the Great Depression like the WPA and the CCC that created work on public projects. We could do that today. There are lots of projects in the public sector that need doing, from bridge repairs to national park maintenance to digitizing archives.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I'm p sure a big part of why repair work doesn't get done is that there isn't a lot of immediate profit from it for the people running those departments. They get paid the same either way so why not spend the absolute minimum on maintenance and leave the repairs to the next guy? Maximize revenue and all that.

This was why the WPA worked so well, because they paid for the supplies and the temporary project workers directly, so the regular park/bridge/whatever maintenance people didn't have to budget anything extra.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Didn't gun ownership increase during the third reich? Isn't the whole "Hitler took guns away" thing total hogwash?

Yes. Only Jews weren't allowed to own guns.

I bet 90% or more of these assclowns would be on board with a "no Muslims" gun law.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

cash crab posted:

Are these constructed entirely by people who know nothing about WWII?

Yes.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

But there are four nurses in the illustration?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Polaron posted:

Why are there four nurses in the picture? :v:

EDIT: :argh: AlbieQuirky

If the guy had continued seeming dead, he might have gotten anal!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

LOL Like they managed to 'shop the bread out, but couldn't add in some fruit or something? "La-di-da, just standing next to my empty basket!"

The joke is funnier with the empty basket.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

One of my friends who just graduated nursing school posted this gem:

I love knowing someone responsible for other people's healthcare is loving health/body retarded enough to post this.

My former doctor (an MD, not an OD, even!) gave me something like this.

He also wanted me to see an energy healer for my arthritis.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

There is a large overlap between people that cry about Europe's Sharia districts where "police won't go" and the people that demand public executions, amputations for theft, eye for an eye type justice.
And I'm not just talking about the US, either. I see it a lot amongst relatives and former/old friends in Germany.

Hey, my Bronze Age desert nomads' political solutions are better than your Iron Age desert nomads' political solutions!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite Daily Mail obsession is what causes/cures cancer (often the same things).

trapped mouse posted:

This guys entire facebook page is basically parody, but he makes a post making fun of stoners trimming weed and all of his real life friends go nuts.

There are several legal grows in Western Mass that are always hiring in any case, so his friends are stupid for falling for the first post.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Feb 11, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, an obese rageaholic 79- year-old man could not possibly have died of natural causes.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SodomyGoat101 posted:

From a couple pages back, but no. It wasn't that she wasn't "deaf enough", it's that she wasn't deaf at all. The majority of the Board of Trustees were also not deaf. The students didn't believe that their interests were sufficiently represented. The whole thing exploded because before Elizabeth Zinser was elected there had been substantial campaigning from Gallaudet's students and public support from all over the place, and the Board still put the only hearing person on the ballot in charge.

I think that person was talking about Jane Fernandes, not Elizabeth Zinser. Fernandes is deaf, though her first language is English.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

zakharov posted:

Are...are they aware that the old movie will still exist and they can watch it whenever they want?

Retrospective girl cooties, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I never thought about it before but now I am going to say "smug know-it-all loser" instead. I hope the smug know-it-all loser who wrote that article will be happy that I am critiquing his personality, intellect, and drive instead of his competence at shaving.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Is there any context for the Aardvark Comic Strip Man thing? I'd like to decide who's the idiot.

probably everyone

Definitely Dave Sim (if you want to read his creepy nonsense about women, here you go), maybe the other people as well.

Note: The site I linked above is pro-Sim, commending him on his misogyny, so it's not a "SJW attack."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

mng posted:

But he's white?

Like everyone who has been documented committing voter fraud in the last decade, yeah.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Filox posted:

The article linked wasn't about the "indentured servants were slaves" thing, which I agree is nonsense. Indentured servitude may not have been a lot of fun (and may have left some indentured servants vulnerable to exploitation) but it wasn't slavery.

The article was about the existence of "Help Wanted: No Irish Need Apply" signs and advertisements. (No point crossing the streams there, it just creates confusion.) I find the whole thing fascinating because I'm an old fart and I remember getting schooled on anti-Irish sentiment and discrimination in the U.S. back when I was in high school. Jensens's paper and other people's random "the Irish were never discriminated against and those NINA signs never existed" stuff on the internet the past couple of years, apparently mostly inspired by Jensen's original paper, were questionable to me, but I'm no scholar, so I could make no argument against it.

I'd love to read both Jensen's and Fried's papers in their entirety, but of course they're not available.

(Edit for clarity. And grammar, damnit.)

This article reproduces one of the ads Ms. Fried found and quotes others. Jensen is so wrongity wrong he could be no wronger.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Otisburg posted:

TBH as a school-aged kidhaver I even question the value of "active shooter/code black drills" pretty heavily.

Some quanta of "preparedness" for a vanishingly improbable but horrific event versus the repeated but relatively small terror of sitting quietly in the dark rehearsing her own murder.

It's weird and I don't know how to feel about it. Yeah I guess you can say "but you do tornado and fire drills" but it just feels different you know?

I am old enough to have done the "hide under your desk from nuclear bombs" drills and honestly it still gives me a vague sense of unease to think about.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Hire children to be sewage workers.

Worked in the Victorian era! (Google "mudlarks" for :ohdear:)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

That actually looks like (pretty severe) keratosis pilaris, which is just an ordinary skin disorder which is not in any way caused by gluten. :sigh: Source: my daughter and I both have it.

Eh, it could be an unusually sparse breakout of dermatitis herpetiformis, which can be caused by exposure to gluten. Which is why things like "gluten free shampoo" aren't ridiculous; sone people get rashes from shampoos and body washes that have hydrolyzed wheat proteins in them.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Jews weren't allowed to wear yarmulkes in the US military until recently, so I don't know what that guy's banging on about as if Jews would agree with him about Sikh dude's uniform exemptions.

Also, the camo turban looks super badass.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I see your Green Moon IOSM and raise you this, shared by my aunt (e. "Candice Night" is the name of a band or some loving page, not of a person)

If only Nick Drake could have lived to see this :smith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

For most of history (and prehistory) almost all women built shelters, built fires, foraged for food, hunted small game (and sometimes big game), and often were the only people to fish, so I don't see how :biotruths: is supposed to have worked here.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Male rapists could (and do) go into women's restrooms dressed as men and rape women. I don't see how some hypothetical rapist would find dressing in drag made things any easier for them, or how keeping trans women out of women's restrooms is at all germane in any case.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

She's an attorney, and is very good at getting websites to do what she wants

gently caress her, she is awful

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Adrian Rogers said that in 1984, not 1931 (which was the year Rogers was born), and he was quoting Gerald L. K. Smith, who was pants-on-head crazy and a literal fascist.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Didn't it only show up in schools fairly recently too? Or was that the God reference on dollars?

No, the Pledge was in schools by the 1890s. The "under God" bit got added in the 1950s because of the Cold War.

"In God We Trust" was on coins since the 1860s, but got added to bills in the 1950s because of the Cold War.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Apr 27, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Whoops, apparently "signaling" is the right word. Basically, while it's from the right, it's still a good term for all those dudes you know that post a poo poo on facebook but never go to the protests, that are "totally feminist man" then act like sexist shitheads in private. It's just another term for hypocritical actions.

I think it's ridiculous for people who wear flag lapel pins and/or have a Jesus fish on their car to point fingers at others for "virtue signaling".

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

White pride, where we all march in our suit and ties and throw money at people.

Mayonnaise festival, with awkward dancing to Donny Osmond!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Is that actually the case? I know more mothers often end up getting custody, because the fathers don't actually want custody in a good chunk of cases. I thought the vast majority of custody agreements never saw the inside of a courtroom, and in the cases where both parents actually wanted custody, there was a pretty fair split.

There is only very sparse data on this, but what you say is borne out by the data that has been collected.