Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Speaking of permanent harm, there's a huge argument going on about the favourite topic of everyone on FB because Iceland is going to ban performing circumcisions. In lieu of screencaps entirely in Icelandic, have a meme:

Come on, you can’t put that reference to The Great Silent Hill Circumcision War without linking it.

https://storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mds2 posted:

Is this a troll or legit?

Yeah, I can’t decide if him truly believing that or being crafted as a trap is the funnier situation.

Probably because I have no idea who that is. And I fear if I google him, I’ll get all angry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair she did try to literally kill her with no provocation.

"No provocation"

Please, Snow White was beauty shaming the Queen. While the Queen shouldn't have tried to poison her, it's patently obvious that SW's past actions lay the groundwork for that inevitable result.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Metrofreak posted:

<<whole shitload of :psyboom:>>

She just keeps getting crazier!

Is that a person or a markovbot?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Marathanes posted:

Insofar as one is serious on a dead gay comedy forum, yes.

In the context of the current commentary on a tweet discussing handshakes, holding doors for women, shooting guns, addressing elders as sir/ma'am, swinging axes, punching folks, or changing tires, by Carl Higby, a 'flag loving, meat eating, gun owning #American. Proud @realdonaldtrump supporter #NavySEAL, #Veteran, #Author. Tweets/Views are my own #MAGA," I don't feel like it's the hugest, most unreasonable leap.

Then again, I might just be the IOSM right here.

Occam's Razor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biplane posted:

Some goon got busted doing this a few years ago over in GIP, it was pretty drat cool.

Was that the dude that was a pro gamer and used to talk poo poo about trans people and it turned out he was in a relationship with a trans woman that did cam shows?

He kept trying to say he was Force Recon or something, if I recall correctly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Prism posted:

Don't be silly, offloading coins to suckers is not all Bitcoin is.

It's also a way to waste truly staggering amounts of electricity.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/new-york-power-companies-can-now-charge-bitcoin-miners-more/

quote:

The PSC offered a truly staggering look at the electricity demand that cryptocurrency has created in the region, saying that in some communities cryptocurrency mining requires "thousands of times more electricity than an average residential customer would use" (emphasis PSC). The document continued:

quote:

While such a significant amount of electricity usage might go unnoticed in large metropolitan areas, the sheer amount of electricity being used is leading to higher costs for customers in small communities because of a limited supply of low-cost hydropower. In Plattsburgh, for example, monthly bills for average residential customers increased nearly $10 in January because of the two cryptocurrency companies operating there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

So, what y'all are saying is that if one notices a crash starting to happen, it can be up to 16 hours before you manage to sell off your hoard, and that when you initiate an order to sell you have no idea how much money you will have by the time the order is actually processed?

Oh no. The exchange can also halt all transactions (as they always have historically), leaving yours to languish mid-transaction until it goes through 24 to 72 hours later selling 60% down from when you first initiated it. That's always fun to watch happen during panic stampedes.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Mar 19, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ularg posted:

I've seen it before, and I always forget that I do until I read up to the change and then it all starts rushing back to me like a puzzle in Portal as my face morphs into horror.

Same. It’s like my brain goes “Yeah. We’re going to pass on putting that in long term storage.”

And then someone posts it again and my brain says “Wait a minute...” just a moment too late.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Did anyone save the tweet?

I pretty much figured he’d delete it. Here you go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

As a Senator he’d be familiar with loss.

:drat:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

I think he means that the school shooter was bullied which I still can't find any real evidence of (he made death threats towards other students as early as middleschool and the school seemed to bend over backwards to help him with his issues even though they all seemed terrified of him) but that's what people always say about school shooters though it's very rarely true. I'll bet that all of those people attacking the students would not have liked it if their kid befriended and brought home that weirdo, loner kid who constantly threatens people because he doesn't understand human emotions. I would have added incredibly racist and homophobic but I suspect that these people don't mind that.

Nah. That's in reference to the "apology" Laura Ingraham made because advertisers were leaving her show.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Their legal strategy is naivety and rainbows.

Danaru posted:

Ah yes Disney, known for being super relaxed about people getting money by using their IPs without permission

Didn't they make a day care paint over their playroom walls because of "unlicensed IP"?

EDIT: Not playroom, but exterior. The town was getting ready to have them remove the murals because they violated the sign codes by height.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-04-27/news/8904070716_1_walt-disney-productions-cartoon-characters-disney-representatives

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Mar 31, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

It reminds me of that horrifying reddit post about intentionally chasing women at night to make them think that they are getting raped.

:psyboom:

Reddit is a cancer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, sounds terrifying, lovely cousin.

to carry, keep, bear, transport or possess an assault weapon in the Village

This is hardly an onerous ordinance. There are plenty of firearms that aren't "assault weapons". It's a fairly narrow definition by the ATF.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That dog has no idea what's going on, and doesn't like it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

sigh

this forum has become a parody of itself

Lighten up.

Would it have been better if I had said "That's abuse. A dog wasn't meant to wear pants like that"

Fucks sake.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fizzymercy posted:

That's a dumb as gently caress comic strip. Like XKCD sucks in general, but that is like trying to eat a Necco wafer with cottonmouth.

:nallears:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

This is what I am calling it from now on, and you are my favorite person on the internet today.

In the Let’s Read of Monster Hunter International, a poster said the correct terminology for flesh golems is Persons of People.

Choco1980 posted:

I do think an interesting point is raised by having vampirism be an automatic morality switch to thunder and lightning, mustache twirling evil. Like, they've already hinted that some monsters can be reasoned with and even allied with, but apparently vamps are a zero tolerance thing? Maybe I'm just too sensitive to Monster Discrimination, being a Flesh-Golem myself (Don't call Persons of People Frankensteins, that's our word now) but I'm probably going to side with the vamps on this issue.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Apr 14, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not me. I lead from the rear.

But the poo poo storm that could ignite...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh my GOD. I'm glad this ends with Popehat to the rescue. I got creep shivers when the guy transitioned from "I" to "we" in that first email. Classic pushy dude trying to make you complicit when you are going "no."
That's some creepy, creepy poo poo.

And as you mentioned:
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/980538617503260673

You definitely don't want to be "this person" when Ken focuses the reticule on his lawyer rifle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Who is Popehat? I watched the video but didn't read the thread. Is he a lawyer who is really good at copyright law?

Popehat is a blog run by a collection of lawyers. Chief hat-wearer is Ken White, who is a former federal prosecutor and a criminal defense attorney. He has a special hatred for bullies online.They do a ton of pro bono work, or put out a call for lawyers to pro bono work (or steeply discounted) for people who are being targeted by bullies on the Internet. If you catch Ken's attention and he puts up the batsignal, that means you're about to get assistance from some VERY qualified (and sarcastically scathing) lawyers.

Popehat got immensely popular during the Oatmeal v. Funyjunk feud, when he and Charles Carreon started fighting online. It was like fighting a toddler for Ken W and it was glorious to watch unfold because it all was blogged and commented on Popehat.

https://www.popehat.com/2012/06/13/how-dare-you-thats-the-wrong-kind-of-bullying/

quote:

The most astonishing thing about Charles Carreon — the attorney whose ill-considered threat is at the heart of the Oatmeal/FunnyJunk debacle I wrote about yesterday — is that the man markets himself as an internet lawyer.

Yet Charles Carreon seems mystified by the most basic elements of internet culture that even the rawest YouTube-watching tyro could explain. For instance, he seems taken aback by the notion that sending a smug lawsuit threat to a professionally snarky and frequently cheerfully vulgar online cartoonist with a rabid following could lead to the public relations catastrophe he now faces.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This would not surprise me in the slightest.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It started with a Facebook post claiming that the NYPD had uncovered proof of a Democrat child sex ring when searching Anthony Wiener's emails for his underage sexting scandal. John Podesta was invited to art stuff by weirdo artist Marina Abramovic that other people falsely claimed was a Satanic cannibal ritual, therefore John Podesta must be involved in this child sex ring!

John Podesta really loving loves pizza, and has a lot of emails about getting pizza or eating pizza. People said that nobody could love pizza enough to talk about it this much (that's not a joke, that's literally the excuse given), so all these mentions of pizza must really be child sex terms!

And...that's it. That's actually a real thing that occurred.

And it also inspired an self-styled “investigator” to show up at the pizza place everyone says houses this pedo-ring with a rifle. And shoot said rifle in the pizzeria.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/us/pizzagate-comet-ping-pong-edgar-maddison-welch.html

quote:

The man, Edgar M. Welch, 28, of Salisbury, N.C., told the police that he had come to the restaurant, Comet Ping Pong, in northwest Washington, to “self-investigate” what is being called Pizzagate, an online conspiracy theory asserting, with no evidence, that the restaurant is somehow tied to a child abuse ring. He entered the restaurant shortly before 3 p.m. with a rifle and fired it at least once inside, the police said.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I love that book, it's definitely a great walk through the thoughts of conspiracy-minded fools.

You also learn a lot about the Knights Templar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Besesoth posted:

:stonklol:

*Nazi politician stuff (also technically NOT kidnapping)*

Jesus, it's like he was constructed in a lab specifically for this thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

e: Retard Jones would be a good username tbh

That’s my Secret Name known only to my Clan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

to be fair everyone could use a good punch now and again to keep grounded

I’m too old to start getting in drunken punchy-fights again. But you go ahead. I’ll be your Burgess Merideth and growl out nonsensical advice that masquerades as wisdom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's kind of amazing to think that Radical Feminists, when they talk about sex, are worried about if men are getting the "right kinda sex" and that hence they are responsible for the gay panic defense and not this thing called the patriarchy which is, I dare say, rather focused both on men and who they gently caress (i.e. everyone)

LOL, are you a gimmick account or something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is not being a loving moron about radical feminism a gimmick these days?

No, it’s about you being a moron regarding the argument being presented. It’s not that TERFs are committing actual physical violence on trans-women. It’s about them adding to the normalization of trans-women not being women. It’s regressive and it reinforces the big blinking target that’s already painted on trans-people.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Jun 2, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This rear end in a top hat has been tweeting dumb conservative talking points every few minutes, I wonder if it's a bot account:

https://twitter.com/freedom_moates/status/1002744432884637696
https://twitter.com/freedom_moates/status/1002745478335746049

What an unfortunate profile pic. He looks like a thumb wearing glasses accidentally covered part of the lens.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Scathach posted:

A couple years ago the local high school that got shot up had reports of people doing a clown gathering to terrorize it. My fiance and I were driving by one night and got pulled over by three cops. Dude said, "Are you folks out here hunting clowns? Leave that to us."

loving nuts.

Please show me your hunting license. No not that one, that one is for deer. I mean your clown hunting license.

OK, looks valid. Just remember you can only bag 3 clowns per season. Also, the Emmett Kelly herd is endangered so limit your Circus Clowns to Bozo types. All Rodeo Clowns are fair game.

Good hunting, folks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Memento posted:

Is the polio vaccine still a teaspoon full of vial pink liquid? A girl in my high school threw up after they gave us that one. She had to take it again, because they couldn't be sure she still had enough of it in her system. Kept it down the second time.

That would be OPV which is a vaccine based on attenuated polio vaccine. It's considered a superior method to IPV because it didn't require sterile syringes which made it easier to distribute and administer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Brandon Proust posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with your country

It's like we looked at Australia's concentration camps detention facilities and went "Hold my beer..."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Duck of Death posted:

The misuse of "begs the question" is the most offensive thing here.

That battle has been lost, just as it has for “irregardless”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

there wolf posted:

I think it might just be a fat baby if only because extreme swelling would likely be a trip to the emergency room, not just urgent care.

Those eyes look pretty suspect. I’d be leaning toward an allergic reaction at the most benign.

But, gotta get that selfie as opposed to breaking traffic laws to get that baby some help.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh lordy I had entirely forgotten that song's existence.

Same here, god drat it. I was happy and free.

I have to do some scratched earth neuron destruction with a lot of alcohol this weekend to put me back in that state.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nuebot posted:

But earlier this year didn't they also release a thing saying anything trump says on his personal twitter counts as official because people were making fun of him or something?

Yes they did. It’s also why the courts have said he cannot block anyone on Twitter since it violates their 1st amendments rights of being able to engage POTUS in dialog and criticism on a public venue (the argument being, since Trump has used his account to make official statements he’s turned it into a de facto public venue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ularg posted:

Wait does that make twitter a public venue or specifically Trump's twitter a public venue?

In this case only Trump’s and only so long as he is POTUS.

If another government official were to use his personal account to tweet official gov’t things, then the precedent set with the Trump decision would make his account a public forum as well.