Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sam Faust posted:

Oh hey, it looks like I'm uh...

8===D

Wait a minute, this doesn't seem right?

Could be worse. I got moon moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

casual poster posted:

Alright so I don't want to start a debate on the quality of art and *what is art* but isn't this design just done with someone using the blur tool?

It's one of those instances where the idea is fantastic but the execution is lazy. On the spectrum of good art to bad art I'd say it's mediocre. It would have worked far better as a painting with distorted forms and dissonant colors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

But isn't freedom what the other people want? I thought liberals where the filthy nazis who want to kill freedom by telling racists to shut up?

No, no see liberals want to force everybody that isn't a liberal to support liberals so they're the real tyrants.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To be honest I don't get this whole "a real X listens to Y genre or they are Z which is a very bad thing" idea in the first place. Listen to the music that sounds good to you and don't let anybody tell you it's wrong. It's entertainment. Who the gently caress cares?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Youtube comments care.

YouTube comments are a Lovecraftian horror that will damage your sanity if you so much as glance at them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

I feel like at this point in your life you should be familiar with the idea of people grouping themselves and regarding different people as "others" over the tiniest of interests cause it's what humanity has always done and will always do

I'm familiar with the fact that it happens but I've never really understood the mentality when it comes to inconsequential things like taste in entertainment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"I literally robbed and harassed my roommate and I am the victim in this situation."

That's what I read that story to basically say. Am I wrong?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EZipperelli posted:

I'm like, 99% sure that you need your parents permission to get an abortion (that's not medically necessary) if you're under 18, being that it's a medical procedure and all.

iirc, emancipated minors are the only ones who can do it without a parent present, unless the pregnancy is a threat to the mother's life, then a minor can get one without parental consent.

Unless it varies state to state, in which case ymmv.

I think some states allow minors to get birth control and abortions at clinics without the necessity of the parents even being informed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I'm basically just using this thread as an easier to read Wikipedia so sorry

I thought that gas prices weren't really in his control? I thought they had dropped because one country was trying to force some competition out by drastically lowering their prices to the point that they couldn't compete. Am I wrong?

That's part of the point, I think; he's a Democrat and things aren't absolutely perfect so he's obviously New Hitler. But if the parties were flipped you'd hear the right singing his praises over every little thing that went even the tiniest bit right.

That or you'll hear "it isn't a good enough recovery so obvious he's a jerk that's ruining America."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow

America sucks, huh. Out here the employer would get his arse dragged through the entire legal system if there's even a shred of doubt that the employee was fired for political reasons.

At Will Employment because freedom! :911:

One of the issues is that a lot of states have it set up so an employer can legally fire somebody for no reason whatsoever or for any reason so long as it isn't one of the ones that's explicitly outlined. All an employer really has to do is say "I just didn't like the guy" and it's fine. You can make up bullshit reasons with no backing like "he wasn't productive enough" or whatever. As long as an employer isn't caught saying "fired for being gay" or whatever it's completely legal.

Then you have to actually prove it which may very well involve a court battle that the newly unemployed person may not be able to afford.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bast Relief posted:

Otherwise this uncle is totally cool. But holy poo poo he will light Facebook on fire sometimes. He posted a bunch of confederate flag stuff to prod his conservative friends, then berate them until they defriended him.

The thing that baffles me the most about people posting stuff like that or absurdly extreme political stuff is that they'll think it's a good thing when people unfriend them. "Well they just can't stomach the truth!" or such nonsense. Lately I've been pruning people that vomit far right wing idiocy nonstop because I'm sick of seeing it and wow does that piss some people off.

Why no I don't want to read twelve pages of "let's literally murder Obama" every time I log into Facebook.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Love that people can't tell the difference between "my husband is an immature manchild" and "all husbands must be immature manchildren". If it happens in your experience it must be true 100% of the time.

Also was Fred even a huge incapable idiot? I thought that roll was filled by Barnie

Neither of them were really incapable idiots. Fred was impulsive and quick-tempered but otherwise pretty average. Definitely not a Homer Simpson-level simpleton.

Barney was just lazy, really. In both cases they weren't supposed to be manchildren or anything like that; just a couple of regular guys trying to get by.

If they wanted to go the "large child shaped like a man" route Marge and Homer Simpson would have been a better choice.

Yeah in the show Wilma and Betty were generally portrayed as the mature voice of reason or would clean up the messes Fred made but it wasn't like Fred was a complete twit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

This is really dumb. Not only are they throwing stones while living in glass houses, they literally are showing a man in incredibly good shape just because he looks awkward in two pictures.

That's an age old political tactic, though. If anybody is the slightest bit prominent they're going to have cameras around them a lot and have people taking their picture. Somebody as important as "literally the highest political office in a nation of 300 million people" is going to have a hard time going somewhere that cameras are not going to follow. It's a question of volume; take thousands of pictures of somebody and you're going to be able to find enough to make him look like a complete doofus. On the other end you're going to find a few that make him look like a prestigious person in a prestigious position.

So of course that person's opposition is going to go through the thousands of pictures, find the handful that makes him look like a tool, and plaster them everywhere saying "hey look at how much this guy sucks! These pictures make him look bad lol he's a weak poo poo bag amirite?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Robert Stanfield was a politician in Canada from the East Coast that was from an era when being a Conservative didn't mean being a complete loving shithead in every way. When Premier of Nova Scotia, he improved human rights, the arts, brought in healthcare and infrastructure and helped much of the province transition to a more modern state. He became leader of the Federal Conservatives and ran against Truedau. He lost, but then in a future election the Liberials had not managed the economy very well and it looked like the PCs may win it. Until this photo was taken
http://i.imgur.com/b2Laoqu.jpg
This sunk the campaign. Thing is, Stanfield had been tosses the football around for a while, and missed it once, but that's all that was needed.

That's one thing that honestly baffles me about politics in general. One single, tiny failure can completely torpedo something if it gets amplified enough. It's on the level of a butterfly flapping its wings and causing a hurricane. You might think "what does a dropped football have to do with anything?" but then next thing you know it changes the face of a major election.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pastor of muppets posted:

I'm gonna have to see a Venn diagram or something to explain this one. :psyduck:

How many nativity scenes do you see absolutely everywhere at Christmas time?

How many people celebrate the festival of gluttony instead of, you know, Jesus?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gross Dude posted:

People who aren't one black woman and one black man.

Not just interracial marriage but also a gay marriage.

THE HORROR!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EvilGenius posted:

Even more bizarre, there are people trying to blame immigrants. Immigrants need houses you see, which get built on flood plains. And I've seen at least one link to god's wrath (God is angry becasue we let immigrants into our country, which is funny because I'm pretty sure Jesus was just fine with that).

That's pretty ancient. "*bad thing* happened! God is punishing us for tolerating *thing I don't like.*"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Posted over a picture that is obviously from a time when all of those systems existed. Brilliant

When I lived in Lancaster city kids would be all over the place offering to shovel out cars for money, and that was like 3 years ago

Whenever I saw people bitching about that I bring up when I tried it as a kid after prodding from parents. 95% of the houses I went to just plain said no. One house said yes and gave me $2. Two other houses said yes but then refused to pay after I was done.

I never tried it again.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

This. Also realized that they offered me 50cents to do their driveway and walkway. gently caress you. It may be 1989 but 50cents is still nothing.

Yeah I remember as a kid a few people offering me what amounted to $2 an hour to do their yard work in the 90's. I just looked at them like they were insane and refused. Most of the time when I see things like that I hear "I want to pay somebody absolute beans to do something I'm too lazy to do." It isn't about teaching kids responsibility and how to do jobs it's about fleecing children who might not know any better. Yeah you can probably get a soda, a candy bar, and a comic book out of it but is it really worth it? You could probably scrape change off of parking lots and make the money faster.

"Why won't children do these task for me?" Because you're being a selfish, lazy poo poo about it, that's why.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do you not have a lawnmower? How do you usually cut your lawn?

I have Enrique do it. I think he just eats the grass, to be honest.

My Enrique may actually be a goat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

into the void posted:

Isn't the major point of driver's ed and traffic school "don't hit people with your car"?

I think what the strawchildren are saying is "I should be able to run around with a total disregard to my own safety." There's an onus of care on both sides. People driving should watch carefully for pedestrians but pedestrians should also not be darting into traffic randomly. The argument is that people saying things like "you know maybe we should hold cops that literally murder black people accountable" are arguing that drivers should be responsible even if the pedestrian is charging at them trying to get hit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Skaw posted:

Woah. If Trump is going to give all the unemployed people jobs personally, maybe he's not so bad after all.

It's amusing because the right has been screeching about forcing people to go back to work for decades but actively supports policies that ruin the job market. A rather large number of people are no longer fooled by them. If they didn't become so vehemently opposed to any government spending at all I could see them maybe saying that but nope.

Like if their message shifted to "OK we're going to roll back assistance programs and replace them with stuff like job programs" I'd not have much of an issue. You know, like...OK you want some welfare? Hey go work on these infrastructure projects for a while. We'll pay you for the year, give you a home, and feed whatever family you have. But giving anything at all to those people is viewed as a handout and anything over the poverty line is considered "too good." Granted they also consider "the poverty line" to be "has a refrigerator with more than a slice of bread in it."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What I don't understand the the hostility to the idea of acknowledging the existence of food allergies and making some ultimately minor changes that won't affect the guy's life at all. I also don't get the "loving man up" thing. I have a food allergy that can literally kill me and very nearly has twice so far. I can't just kick the food's rear end and hammer it into submission. My options are "don't eat the thing that makes you die" or "eat the thing that makes me die and probably die." Like...what, exactly, does "man up" mean in that situation? It isn't like I can just build up a tolerance to it. It's something that my body just decided that it loving hates.

I mean I'm happy as hell that food labels tend to say "hey those of you with food allergies, there's a chance this got contaminated and might make you die."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

If you just gave money to poor people they would stop being poor. Idk why it's so loving hard

Yeah but then who would I look down on?

Also I earned this money so how dare you tell me to give it to somebody else.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I was considering that part of luck. And Natural Talents would include not just being smart or creative, but knowing how to make the most of of those. I'd also include having the right idea at the right time.

But there is nothing like seeing someone who was born into privilege sit back and say "let me tell you something about all your lazy moochers out there!"

Warren Buffet actually kind of hit on that a few times. At least I think it was him. It's part of why he makes a point of being really generous; he acknowledged that it was a stroke of stupid, blind luck that he was born with a few particular talents that just happened to be in high demand and profitable during the time frame he lived in. Then it was also stupid, blind luck that he was born into a situation he could actually make use of those talents.

Andrew Carnegie even said the same thing; he was a talented businessman sure but his big start was a stroke of stupid luck. It could have been anybody that got the chance he had.

Of course the biggest talent is recognizing opportunity and taking it which not everybody has. Granted getting the opportunity in the first place is a stretch and it's stupid to say "hey all these people who got no opportunities? They're lovely, lazy people; gently caress 'em." It's nothing but an excuse to actively prevent them from being able to have access to opportunities as well as preventing them from being able to seize them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

snergle posted:

Some states already have this. If you're on foodstamps you have to look for work and they help you find a job. Then when you inevitably get hired by some place like walmart or winco they get a huge rear end tax break they do not need for hiring you. California even counts an unpaid job like volunteering at a foodbank as work in this situation.

That wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about just kind of inventing work for people who don't have any and would like some and if there isn't enough to do then just pay them anyway. PA does something very similar; if you are on welfare or unemployment you must be actively looking for work and prove that you are.

The problem is that the job market in the state is absolute, complete poo poo. The Republican meme of "there's just so many jobs everywhere!!!!" is complete nonsense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

snergle posted:

well caltrans is always hiring for ca so they sort of have socialized jobs for poor "non criminals" but you're basically wanting the job system from house of cards?

We have a poo poo load of unemployed people who would rather like to have jobs. Contrary to the right's belief people generally want to work.

We also have crumbling infrastructure and a lot of things that need fixing.

I don't see why it's unreasonable to say "hey maybe we should hire some people to go build some poo poo."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm a guy and I learned how to cook because I like having good food whenever I want to. I also learned to bake because I like having fresh baked bread whenever I like.

Later I discovered that women like it if you cook for them on a date. It's also a good way to just have company. If you're feeling lonely make a big dinner and tell your friends there's no way you can eat it all by yourself so if they'd like to come have some they're welcome to.

That's my story.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

Of course none of us can cook like a real chef, but then again that doesn't mean you can't cook. There are tons of good simple recipes and unless you're really dumb you can actually cook. You might never have tried to but you can.

It's just that like in most skills, being able to cook doesn't mean you're a loving 3 star chef.

It's also commonly believed that cooking should be some horrifying ordeal that eats up multiple hours of your day.

And I'm like...no. I can make very good baked chicken that takes something like five minutes of actual effort. Then you put it in the oven, do something else for 40-50 minutes, and hey there's your dinner!

Mix olive oil, black pepper, and lemon juice. Coat chicken breasts in it. Put them on a baking pan. Dump a can of mushrooms, water and all, over the chicken. Bake it 40-50 minutes. Really good stuff, almost no effort at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Je suis fatigue posted:

Ah, I was just going by the CCN news update on my iPad without actually following this story very closely. I was under the impression that the fire starters were with the occupation guys in Oregon but I guess they were in California? Like it was a protection thing not a lovely stupid protest, so then the federal land squatting goes on.

The guys occupying the building say it's in support of the arsonist ranchers but the arsonist ranchers already turned themselves in and went back to jail quietly. Apparently their response to the guys occupying the building is more or less "wait, what the gently caress are you idiots doing?" So apparently now they're saying that it's in support of making sure it doesn't happen to any other arsonist ranchers.

Because I guess lighting fire to and grazing cattle on federal land you were told not to do those things in is a God-given freedom that must not be taken away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

So how many militia members are we talking about? I've heard estimates ranging from 15 to 150. Regardless of how stupid they may be, it's not easy to provision that many men on short notice. Odds are some of them were very prepared, but all their supplies are now being divided up between people who came wearing wife-beaters and carrying a case of beer.

They claimed to be 150. The official count based on actual observation is about a dozen or so.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So a nation where women that become pregnant with female babies are pressured into having abortions and getting pregnant again needs men's rights.

Makes perfect sense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

Didn't gun ownership increase during the third reich? Isn't the whole "Hitler took guns away" thing total hogwash?

If memory serves the Nazis actually seriously reduced gun control measures and gun laws. I'm pretty sure they disarmed undesirables and told everybody else guns are awesome, you should get some.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this one could go either way (or possibly both), but I'm more confident in saying this is just a weird fantasy thing with an actual father figure, not a weird sex thing.

This is the internet, yo. Everything is either already a weird sex thing or will be some day very soon.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"Chemicals are bad!"

Hate to break it to you bucko but you're made entirely of chemicals.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mng posted:

no one would ever make a joke on twitter!

Internet: serious business.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm sure I could probably work it out, but how much does this even come up? I've been driving for almost 20 years and never had to worry about it.

I can't find it now, but I had a guy on my feed being all smug about millennials. "I bet if you put them in a library they couldn't even use the card catalog!"

Do they also complain that millennials can't drive a horse carriage? Hell I bet millennials can't even craft a bow out of a yew stick, a piece of flint, and some animal sinew.

This idea that millennials are lazy idiots because they can't use a card catalog is stupid. The reason people use computers now is because it's just plain loving better that way. The computer can even tell you if the book is checked in so you don't waste your time looking for it if it isn't. Hell yes I'll discard the cart catalog and use the computer instead. Thank you, technology!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK I think I got this figured out. The way to be manly is to smell bad, refuse to shave or groom yourself, and spend literally every waking moment either breaking something or someone or fixing something while you eat the worst food you can find and be drunk constantly.

And also be illiterate.

...gently caress. Well, I'm out. So who wants to have a dinner party and drink some wine? I have a kick rear end new bread recipe I've been meaning to try.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

goose fleet posted:

I'm pretty sure the 1/64th "Irish" in America get pretty offended when you point that out to them when they suddenly remember it on St. Patrick's Day

I've met a few Irish people that get incredibly offended on St. Patrick's Day by the antics everybody else gets up to. Apparently there's more to the day than wearing green and drinking heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That looks more like a hospital waiting room to me.

Granted it says a lot about somebody that just assumes by default a black person in a waiting room is waiting for welfare. Sorry but not every black person in America gets food stamps, bucko. There are many buildings with lobbies in places you'll have to wait like, well, dentist's offices, primary care providers, the DMV, driver's license places, office buildings. Hell the lady might have been waiting for an interview for all we know.

But nope, black person waiting! Must be welfare.