Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So how possible/viable is it to build the Demi-Fiend like he appears in the bonus battle in Digital Devil Saga?

E: to clarify, him and his party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Hey, quick favor to ask: when you screenshot a decision, could you do it with your cursor on the choice you actually made? This update's not the first where this has happened:

quote:

: What, are you kidding? Of course not! Bunch of lunatic meatheads.

Also, how come you put the update in the off-site thing? Now that you're caught up, there's no reason not to put it in-thread.

Also also, wow. Not one, but two checks if you're sure you wanna fight Daisoujou, and yet freaking Matador and Dante attack us without even warning.

Also also also, I'm confused. Are we railroaded into destroying the core, or could we choose not to? I'm wondering why we're going through the trouble of collecting the nails if we might (at least in theory) want to ally with these guys.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FrankZP posted:

We're really just here to meet up with the Nihilo leadership. Hijiri wants us to get the skinny from Hikawa, but we especially want to see Ms. Takao, since she's the reason we're alive, she outright asked us to find her, and she promised strength and guidance. At this point we couldn't give a toss about who's collecting emotion juice for what purpose, so the core itself is none of our concern beyond helping us grab the attention of someone high up the food chain.

Ah. So we're threatening the core until someone pays attention to us. How very Mantra.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm a bit confused by Hikawa's pre-boss-fight banter. Did he really have enough juice stored up to, basically, win the game right then and there, only to squander it all being a petty dick to the Mantra?

And now, some (hopefully) deep thoughts. So far, Nocturne is telling a very different story than SMT1. In the first game, we had a deep connection with all of the primary characters. Not only did the Law Hero, the Chaos Hero, and the Heroine all spend chunks of time in our party, we interacted with them as equals in a story-telling sense. By the time lines in the sand were drawn, it wasn't about choosing which side, if either, was right; it was about which friend(s) we would ultimately have to kill to defend our beliefs.

In Nocturne, the game practically begins by saying 'so you have some friends whoops the apocalypse happens'. The first thing that happens after that is that we're made into something unique: not fully human, not fully demon. And by the time we interact again with our fellow survivors, they've all adapted, in many ways, better than we have to this new reality. At first, I was thinking of this as a weakness in Nocturne's story, that we're not allowed to develop the attachments for the other characters that the main character would supposedly have, and that the choices we'll have to make in the future don't hold that weight.

On review, though, I think that's deliberate. The protagonist of Nocturne, I think, hasn't been isolated from his friends and made into something apart from everyone else.

In a way, he always was.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I can't talk about the available endings yet, because thpoilerth, but once we know a few more key pieces of information, I'll have something to say about the added Lucifer content.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I've lost track. Which demon is special Pixie now?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Blocked in the US by Victor Entertainment.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FrankZP posted:

Oh for... Gah! God forbid I use SMT music in my SMT videos. Corporations gonna corporate, amirite?

You should be able to see in your video information which song is blocked so you can overdub just that one in future. You can also file a complaint with YouTube, though who knows what the results will be or how long it'll take.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So, we've now been at least mostly enlightened about the endings of the game. Three humans in the Vortex World, each with their own Reasons. We understand two now, and the third will no doubt become clear in time. And it will likely surprise no one that there's a way to say 'screw you' to everyone.

What we can't do, however, is make our own Reason. Why not? Because we're half demon now. And why are we half demon? Why, because the first thing that happened to us on entering the Vortex World was that charming little boy forcibly inserting demon power into us. Maybe we wouldn't have survived without it... but maybe we would have. Certainly the others have managed, one way or another.

Just something to keep in mind should the 'little master' ask us any little favors.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Just thought I'd point out that the silhouettes in Isamu's vision are in no way human. They're freakish, gangly, almost insect-like creatures that might be able to pass for human with a hat and trenchcoat. That should give you some idea of just how disconnected he is from reality right now.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

cdyoung posted:

They're both still human. Only humans can make reasons, which is why demons flock to them when they establish one. The main character is a Demon, but with the heart of a human. He can't make a reason, because he is a demon, but he is the arbiter.

I think the question that's being raised is, why is the main character considered a demon and the others humans when at least three of them appear to be some sort of hybrid, some freakier than others? Hopefully we'll get an answer by the end. (I have a theory, and if we don't get a definitive answer before it's time to choose an ending, I'll share it then.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So we're officially locked out of two endings at this point, right?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I hope you're going to do what I think you're going to do.

If you think he's going to do what I think you think he's going to do, I hope he doesn't, for reasons I'll explain when it's no longer spoilers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I just noticed you don't have Platinum, Frank, or I'd PM you about the endings that remain.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ModeWondershot posted:

Also, based on the general attitude of the thread, am I to assume that Francois may find himself pursuing the...alternative that Lucifer seems to be proposing?
I'll discuss which ending I prefer when Frank reaches the point of no return, decision-wise.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FrankZP posted:

Welp, I guess I'm disappointing at least one person today. :3

At this point, we still don't know what alternatives, if any, we have to Lucifer's plan, but now that we finally know what it is, I can talk about whether I think Francois should take it.

The answer is no. Why? Ultimately, it's about freedom of choice. From the beginning, he's been billed as the one who will ultimately choose what form the new world will take. And Lucifer's whole sales pitch is that Francois can take a third (well, fourth) option, join up with him, and smash the whole corrupt system. That Francois is not bound by destiny and can choose his fate.

But what's the first thing Lucifer did upon meeting Francois? He took his choice away. He corrupted him, locking him out of the ability to form a Reason of his own, leaving him only three lovely options and the option on Lucifer's plate. Even that, I might forgive him for; after all, there's no guarantee Francois would have survived without demon powers, and the ability to form a Reason would be moot if he's dead.

But here's the kicker. Lucifer didn't want to take a chance that Francois might not accept his deal. He manipulated events, by taking away Francois's ability to form a Reason, by getting him to beat up the Fiends in a gambit to make him stronger, by telling him only what would best serve Lucifer's interests, giving Francois the unvarnished truth (and we have only Lucifer's word, through his proxy, that it is the unvarnished truth) only when Francois would reasonably feel there was no better option. Most likely the only reason Lucifer isn't trying to bend Francois's arm is that he's afraid Francois would break his arm off instead.

One of Nocturne's themes is the hypocrisy of ideals. We've seen each of the people who's composed a Reason acting in ways diametrically opposed to it: the weak wanting a kingdom of strength, the one who wants to be alone forcing it on others, the person who thinks free will was a mistake unilaterally making the decision for everyone else. Now we come to Lucifer, who offers us our freedom... but only if we become his pawn.

gently caress him.

gently caress everyone.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 6, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Did you have a special tool you used for that, or did you just Photoshop/GIMP/whatever it together?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Samael posted:

I really hope he aligns himself with Lucifer though. Most of the friends he has had in this world have been demons, why not help them out a bit? Isamu, Chiaki and Hikawa are complete douchenozzles and Hijiri and Yuko were pretty much using the MC for their own ideals and reasons.

And Lucifer isn't? SITB already explained how the events of pretty much the whole game have been Lucifer manipulating Francois to the point where he'll choose to go full demon and join Lucifer in tearing the system down. And a lot of folks have been making noises about how terrible the system is, with untold people dying in its machinations.

The thing is, though, isn't that real life? Every single one of us will die. Everyone ever will die. Everything ever will die, and in the end there will be no trace, no legacy, nothing but undifferentiated stuff. Absolutely everything we have done or will do in this world will be undone... and while you may have faith in a world after this, it can't be proven.

But we don't end it early, or at least most of us don't. If existence has no meaning, then nonexistence is equally meaningless. We live because we want to live, because we have things we want to do with our lives, however noble or base. The vast majority of people who have ever lived and will ever live will, for the vast majority of their lives, wish to keep on living. And if we could choose between having the universe simply end, or have it be reborn, even if nothing of us would survive into the next cycle... well, I know what I'd choose.

Lucifer would have us destroy everything, with no word of what, if anything, he would replace it with. I reject destruction.

And if we're refused the opportunity to recreate the world... well. We're not doing too shabby in this one, are we?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

Notepad++. Saved any random thread and just edited the HTML. :v:

That's rather elegant!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Junpei, your spoiler is ever-so-slightly wrong, but I don't want to be black-boxing my post, so I'll explain why once it'll no longer be a spoiler.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FrankZP posted:

*: This is it, we've crossed the point of no return. We're definitely locked into the one ending now, there is no turning back.

Wait, but what about -

*pauses*

*Googles*

- son of a bitch! We got locked out of the ending I wanted, and I didn't even realize it!

*Googles some more*

...huh. That didn't actually go the way I'd been led to believe it did. All's well, I guess?

(I think endingchat is okay now that we're locked in, but just in case I'll wait for FrankZP to either give the OK or discuss it himself before I talk about what I thought I wanted.)

E: update near the end of the last page.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ManlyGrunting posted:

Fun fact, but for the hilariously unfair Demi-Fiend boss in Digital Devil Saga, the Demi-Fiend is using this magatama, which makes him immune to everything but almighty as well as earth and gun (since they don't exist in this game). It's by far the least bullshit part of that fight too.

That's... actually pretty clever. Reminds me of the whole 'cannot be harmed by any weapon forged by man' bit from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which turned out not to be a prophecy but an evaluation... and man had forged much better weapons in the time since then.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Which dungeon was it that had the illusion of a corridor that, in fact, was something like this?

http://i.imgur.com/9f6fXYM.gifv

I saw this in the GIF thread and immediately wanted to turn the video FrankZP made of the effect into a GIF, but I can't find it. The two dungeons I remember being illusion-centric (the Diet Building and the prison) don't seem to be the right ones.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Huh. I swear I looked that update over three times and didn't spot the video. Thanks!

YggiDee posted:

Didn't they get him with a rocket launcher? To be fair I don't think that mass machine production counts as 'forged' anyway.

Yeah, but the dialogue didn't imply it was an 'I am no man' deal. Specifically, when the Judge said 'No weapon forged can stop me', Buffy replied, 'That was then.' Lifted a rocket launcher. 'This is now.'

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FrankZP posted:

Of course there is also an ending if you refuse to ally with a Reason, then skip the Samael fight and/or admit fear to Aradia. It's commonly called the "demon" ending. Once you reach the top of the Tower, Kagutsuchi notes that not only have you murdered the legitimate Reasons, you also bring no conviction of your own to the process. He literally leaves in disgust without a fight, and the Vortex World remains as it is for the duration of the next cycle, as a hollow, sterile, lightless shell where demons rule unopposed. That's arguably the only bad ending, but hey, if that's your bag, who am I to judge, right?

As I mentioned, that's the one I was hoping we'd get. Admittedly, it was based on some misconceptions about what was involved, but it's really the 'gently caress everyone' ending, where you refuse to play Lucifer or the Great Will's game. (Okay, Lucifer says approving things if you choose it, but frankly there isn't an end where you can disappoint him. You'd probably have to set up a sandwich shop in the Vortex World or something and just ignore Kagutsuchi entirely to do that.)

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the True Demon ending, considering I wasn't expecting you to handle it at all.

E: also, why the heck don't you have platinum after this long? I wanted to PM you, but I can't.

E2: oh, you've only been around since November. Still. That's two and a half good LPs! Someone get him platinum already.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I dunno if I'm the only one, but Luisfe's LPs rub me the wrong way. I'm not sure why exactly, just... well, I've read more than one of their LPs and come away feeling like I understood neither the game mechanics nor the plot. Like the game had been LPed by an alien, and despite the alien speaking excellent English, their thought processes were just different enough to make communication difficult. That's why I'm glad people like FrankZP are willing to tackle games they've done, and I look forward to Frank's further writing.

I am curious how he plans to handle the True Demon path. Mainly because (ending spoilers ahead) if he treats it as an alternate universe, that kiiiiinda sucks for Francois... because in the True Demon path, the Demifiend destroys all the alternate universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I wanna see FrankZP finish the story of SMT2. If the grind's no fun, maybe there's a patch to reduce enemy encounter rates or something?

• Locked thread