Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Hell, I'll accept money from imported goons too. I'm not picky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

BERGfu posted:

Is this going to be a bum rush for space to make a house or whatever? Like the appeal dwindles if I need to drop a bunch of cash because to first day land grab to get space from a swath of nerds.

It was immediately appealing to me when I saw that they're doing things the way they are with a minimal land rush, and there doesn't appear to be a limit which denies anyone the opportunity to own a little plot of land. ArcheAge didn't even halfway attempt to fix the terrible land ownership system until it bled 90% of the player base. I like how this game is looking, and I'm sure I'll feel like I got my $30 worth of entertainment no matter how things end up once the server goes live.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
IMO, the AO forums alone are a $100 dollar value.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

BERGfu posted:

Also is this the same space violence I think it is?

It was started initially by a bunch of eve goons from the SV group but its now alot bigger than just a few dudes dicking around and the name made pubbies rage out hilariously.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
It really does prickle some sensibilities that we were Space Violence and not Medieval Violence.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

. ArcheAge didn't even halfway attempt to fix the terrible land ownership system until it bled 90% of the player base.

gently caress that you're being too god drat nice. Halfway attempting to fix the problem would have been welcomed. They poo poo on the player base's face, smeared it around and said "Pay us money to fix the problem".

**Explanation for those who weren't a part of that loving dumpster fire incoming, ignore if you put up with their dumb bullshit. **

ArcheAge had UO-style land grabs. When you placed a house the world was broken up into a grid, and only certain sections of that grid could be built on. The amount of land available was far below what the population of the server would have required if everyone had one small house, so land was always expensive. But land made you money. The more land you had the more basically-free money you got so there was always land barons who would spend obscene amounts of money buying every scrap of land everywhere, which they then used to make more money to buy more land, etc. loving over the average player base.

The Accessories to this cluster gently caress were hackers. Because ArcheAge was coded by drunken, poo poo-slinging chimpanzees everything was client side. Hit points, location, invincibility tags, everything. All client side. Including the packet that is sent to the server saying "I claimed this piece of land". The only real competition to claiming land was other hackers and their network speed. The hacker scripts would sniff incoming packets and send the claiming response out before it was even registered by any clients in the zone rendering the housing.

ArcheAge's response to this was to put a ten second click spamming filter on manual attempts to claim land, absolutely ensuring no human could ever get lucky and click-spam an attempt in sideways while the hacker maybe lagged out or something.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Sludge_McBain posted:

It really does prickle some sensibilities that we were Space Violence and not Medieval Violence.

I think our name would have been better as Space Violins.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

SumYungGui posted:

gently caress that you're being too god drat nice. Halfway attempting to fix the problem would have been welcomed. They poo poo on the player base's face, smeared it around and said "Pay us money to fix the problem".

**Explanation for those who weren't a part of that loving dumpster fire incoming, ignore if you put up with their dumb bullshit. **

ArcheAge had UO-style land grabs. When you placed a house the world was broken up into a grid, and only certain sections of that grid could be built on. The amount of land available was far below what the population of the server would have required if everyone had one small house, so land was always expensive. But land made you money. The more land you had the more basically-free money you got so there was always land barons who would spend obscene amounts of money buying every scrap of land everywhere, which they then used to make more money to buy more land, etc. loving over the average player base.

The Accessories to this cluster gently caress were hackers. Because ArcheAge was coded by drunken, poo poo-slinging chimpanzees everything was client side. Hit points, location, invincibility tags, everything. All client side. Including the packet that is sent to the server saying "I claimed this piece of land". The only real competition to claiming land was other hackers and their network speed. The hacker scripts would sniff incoming packets and send the claiming response out before it was even registered by any clients in the zone rendering the housing.

ArcheAge's response to this was to put a ten second click spamming filter on manual attempts to claim land, absolutely ensuring no human could ever get lucky and click-spam an attempt in sideways while the hacker maybe lagged out or something.

I'm so glad I didn't play this game

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

TheFace posted:

I'm so glad I didn't play this game

I'm so glad you didn't play as well.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I almost wanted to quit gaming forever. It was traumatizing.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I still want to hear the pedophile story.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verbose posted:

I still want to hear the pedophile story.

lets think back to Archeage launch

everyone had a wonderful time playing a terrible lovely janky pay to win game, it was wonderful

It turns out BobFromMarketing played Archeage with us. I didn't know who this dude was, neither did a lot of people. Some goons, however, knew him because he was outed as being a pedophile who groomed an icelandic teenager for sex. This was brought to the attention of the guild leaders, and a screencap of the goon guild leader was taken with him saying that 'it was a long time ago and wasnt even in America.' They wanted to keep him because he provided a lot of virtual wool for the guild (im not loving kidding). There were even attempts to sneak him back into the guild under a different name.

Naturally, a lot of goons found this really loving disgusting. I, Kimsemus, Stormgale, and a few other people started raising hell and eventually after a lot of drama and Imp Zone invasions the guild leader stepped down. (Sidenote: I used to be just a regular boring whitenoise poster before this, but I thought the imps were funny and thats why I started being a shitposting whitenoise poster instead.) In any case, the guild leader chose one of his friends to be a guild leader which didn't make anyone too happy, but he was an alright guy. Unfortunately, his dad got really sick so he just stopped coming on. He remained guild leader, so there was absolutely no real leadership. The guild had no real guild leader in his absence, just a bunch of officers. This led to some pretty awesome drama, including Kimsemus being kicked out of Goonrathi/EVE Goons

The reason Kimsemus is no longer in the EVE guild or the Star Citizen guild is because of the following:

Some of the officers wanted everyone to raise money by fishing. If you went out in the ocean you could play a lovely rhythm minigame to catch fish and turn them in for gold. The ocean was open PvP and if you were fishing you were basically really loving vulnerable. Some of the officers basically decided to ally with LITERALLY ANYONE SITTING IN THE OCEAN FISHING. Yes, you understood that right. They decided to make a well known alliance with any person in the loving ocean who had a fishing pole basically. This is despite the fact that since launch some Goons had been pirating and that was the main reason they played the game. This included Kimsemus. He was basically a PvP dude, and went around on his boat with goons and killed people.

Dabigredboat is one of the fishing pact goons and he got super mad at Kimsemus for goonfucking (by PvPing in an open PvP zone and killing pubbies). He used his influence to get Kimsemus and Lincoln kicked out of both EVE Goons and Goonrathi because he was super loving mad at video game fishing in a lovely korean MMO. As far as Anders goes? I don't know why Anders cares so much but he seems to really not like Kimsemus.

Anyway every director other than Anders I've talked to has basically said they don't care about Kimsemus and wouldn't really care if he was in except for Anders. Beer seems to not really care period either to be fair.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also Tokaii, forums oldest goon, decided that THIS was the thing he wanted to fall on his sword over so decided to talk about how technically, BobFromMarketing wasn't a pedophile, but inf act an ephebophile

and :biotruths: about how he felt that scientifically it was proven that 16 was the hottest age :biotruths:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also here is the screenshot from the EVE forums from the Icelandic girl that BobFromMarketing victimized

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is a bad person and he is why the Goon guild in Archeage fell apart

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Archeage was truly a magical game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would have had so much more fun if I had just rolled cat people with grithok and co until goons fell apart and then just joined Forestcrow

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

also start around here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663270&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=95#post435351105

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
Jesus.

I was so hyped about all the naval stuff in ArcheAge too :(

I love the " technically an ephebophile" poo poo too.

This of hits home a little, my exes little sister was being groomed by some older creeper and she wouldn't listen to us, used to sneak out to go see him. Don't even know what's going on with that, don't talk since we broke up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The downfall was amazing, several people kept being friends with BFM. BFM threw the whole "you would do it too if you were in my position" thing which was great.

Tokaii made a thread saying "please delete my account I can't find the quit SA button"
Redshirt went nuts and got demodded
The guild literally fell apart until werkwerk and my self had to come into fix things

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If I remember right you fixed it by kicking everyone out of the guild. Which was probably a good idea actually.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

The downfall was amazing, several people kept being friends with BFM. BFM threw the whole "you would do it too if you were in my position" thing which was great.

Tokaii made a thread saying "please delete my account I can't find the quit SA button"
Redshirt went nuts and got demodded
The guild literally fell apart until werkwerk and my self had to come into fix things

If I remember correctly, BFM also played with Pandemic Legion or something and not even with goons.

On top of that, he was an egotistical rear end in a top hat whenever anyone tried to talk, and the rest of his buddies (like SCT) were like that too.

I'm glad everything happened the way it did

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

dominoeffect posted:

If I remember correctly, BFM also played with Pandemic Legion or something and not even with goons.

On top of that, he was an egotistical rear end in a top hat whenever anyone tried to talk, and the rest of his buddies (like SCT) were like that too.

I'm glad everything happened the way it did
I think that was the pirate guild SCT formed after BFM was evicted from the main goon guilds., right? They just really wanted that wool.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

this is really the post for me

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663270&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=101#post435386903

its my favorite post on all of SA

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kylra posted:

If I remember right you fixed it by kicking everyone out of the guild. Which was probably a good idea actually.

he did a good thing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this one too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663270&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=102#post435389086

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Kylra posted:

I think that was the pirate guild SCT formed after BFM was evicted from the main goon guilds., right? They just really wanted that wool.

I remember that SCT got voted to be the leader of the guild way back for some reason, someone else couldn't do it or something. Naturally, BFM was really close with SCT and several other members that just were real big assholes in game and in mumble. BFM during one of his ego stroking moments went on about his lebanese girlfriend and had his ego stroked so hard that he shared a picture of him and his girlfriend to mumble (lol).

Anyways, dodgy was a cool guy out of the bunch. After things went to poo poo, SCT formed this pirate guild that literally did nothing but sit around. I heard rumors that they merged with some other pirate guild.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

A lot of people seem super okay with pedophilia

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I barely remember most goons names unless they are halarious gently caress ups and just awful people. That thread has a lot of names I recognize.

We also had the joke in imp zone for a bit. People didn't want to talk about it and wanted to drop it and kept blame imp zone trolls. Then someone not from imp zone would bring it up every day. It stopped for 3 days then wolpertinger wrote his dissertation on why we should stop talking about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok im done reminisicing

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Verbose posted:

A lot of people seem super okay with pedophilia

To be honest the thing that happened was all of the leadership put that poo poo under a rug quick. I forget exactly how the pictures of SCT's convos got leaked that basically proved he was defending BFM, but someone other than SCT did it because of how bullshit it was and how lovely it was that they (ring leadership) were hiding it from everyone.

What can you say? BFM was an expert wool harvester and couldn't afford to be lost.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

dominoeffect posted:

What can you say? BFM was an expert wool harvester and couldn't afford to be lost.

I can see this being unironically posted elsewhere

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

dominoeffect posted:

To be honest the thing that happened was all of the leadership put that poo poo under a rug quick. I forget exactly how the pictures of SCT's convos got leaked that basically proved he was defending BFM, but someone other than SCT did it because of how bullshit it was and how lovely it was that they (ring leadership) were hiding it from everyone.

Lets hope someone else doesn't have the **BRILLIANT** concept of bringing BFM to Albion so he also becomes a magnificent cloth collector and the goon guild here splits up again and its AA all over again.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

French Filter and the rest idc surprise me.

Edit: I bought a 30 dollar pack under Rafzakael referral link. No loving clue if it worked because their system is dumb.

Is this French filter enough?

Not intended to be the final result. Lemme know what you want changed/where you want lettering to be moved.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Wasn't even the coup de grace.

tokaii posted:

First, I am 72 and on so many medications that no woman, man or child could turn me on so I have no monkey in this circus.

But if people are going to act like hysterical housewives over the BFM thing at least get some facts right.

Assuming what has been posted so far is correct and this girl was 14-15 and lived in Iceland:

1. This makes him at worst a hebephile not a pedophile. It is a not insignificant difference as this is a lesser mental aberration. If she was 15 she may, depending on development have passed out of hebephile range and this would be no aberration at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebephilia

2. In America, for example, we incorrectly use the word pedophile for a man having sex with a 17 year old girl. Psychologists know that study after study (brain imaging, etc)show that men of all ages find females most attractive around age 16. But we have decided to protect these girls just as we have decided to protect many things by law. So that man with the 17 year old is breaking the law, but is not mentally aberrant.

3. The age of consent in Iceland is, indeed 15. So this BFM person was either legal or one year below legal and either non-aberrant or barely a hebephile.

So, in my opinion, BFM was a jerk back then and may be a jerk now, I don't know. Kicking him out was fine. But those of you acting like he was a baby-raper-murderer and SCT can never be forgiven for even giving him the benefit of the doubt for a few days are being ridiculously over-righteous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

futile
May 18, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Are there any recent good albion gameplay videos I can watch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyvkt5ia-o
These are the 3 shadowplays I could find that somehow didn't get deleted since last alpha. The combat is kinda boring and generic but the gameplay is fun since you just kill people and steal their poo poo and they get upset. Also from the stress test it looks like they added a lot more skillshots to combat to make it slightly more engaging.

BERGfu posted:

Is this going to be a bum rush for space to make a house or whatever? Like the appeal dwindles if I need to drop a bunch of cash because to first day land grab to get space from a swath of nerds.
I don't really know what people are saying here. It's the same as ArcheAge basically. You don't have to get land but the people who do are at a huge advantage. On launch land rushing will absolutely be a huge thing. In the city you build crafting benches on your plots then you can tax the gently caress out of pubbies to use it and make tons of cash (though I think this might have changed). In the red zones there are the township plots where your main base is and there are resource plots that give you free resources and free caves to grind mobs in without risk of getting ganked. They are supposed to add a ton more of these plots in the future but right now there aren't many. The good ones will get taken quickly.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
there are many problems with red zone plots, one being the terrible 5v5 mobashit mechanics they engineered as the way to take them. its basically you create a big guild of 200+ people all working in a sweatshop so that only ~5-10 can participate in the poo poo that decides if you keep or lose all the effort you put into the game

we arent participating in that because you can build all the same poo poo in a safe zone that no one can take from you. instead, we will wait for others to build poo poo and we will take it from them, not invest in it and lose it at our leisure

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

there are many problems with red zone plots, one being the terrible 5v5 mobashit mechanics they engineered as the way to take them. its basically you create a big guild of 200+ people all working in a sweatshop so that only ~5-10 can participate in the poo poo that decides if you keep or lose all the effort you put into the game

we arent participating in that because you can build all the same poo poo in a safe zone that no one can take from you. instead, we will wait for others to build poo poo and we will take it from them, not invest in it and lose it at our leisure

Best plan 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Macnult posted:

Is this French filter enough?

Not intended to be the final result. Lemme know what you want changed/where you want lettering to be moved.

in case you didn't see it in the chat,

looking good macnult , if you can maybe throw in some healer albion stuff, beause that's probably what i'll do in this game

• Locked thread