Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yet another show netflix has brought back! They've called it w/ bob & david and it looks like it has all the old crew back.

TRAILER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZ9l8anS9I

SNEAKY EARLY SCENE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBougV1JK4

OBLIGATORY BEST SCENE FROM MR SHOW FOR THOSE WHO REMEMBER THAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ks4vqtoZ4

Due to this being a sketch comedy and only 4 episodes plus one making of episode spoilers shouldn't be a problem, but because this is one of those new Netflix releases, and just in case you wish to post something that may detract from someone who has not seen its yet enjoyment then please comply with this spoiler policy please thank you.

Deadpool posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

two episodes in, this is amazing

edit: plus holy poo poo is that a cyriak opening sequence?

BSam fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 13, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet this will be good but about one thirtieth as good as Another Period, the true masterpiece

god drat am I excited as hell to get home from work and watch this

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

BSam posted:

OBLIGATORY BEST SCENE FROM MR SHOW FOR THOSE WHO REMEMBER THAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ks4vqtoZ4
That's a weird version of It's Insane, This Guy's Taint

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I finished watching the actual episodes, and now am going to watch the making of episode.

this show is fantastic, and I hope they make more. It's more Mr. Show!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. Not totally feeling it 3 episodes in. It's not bad, just kinda okay. Probably my expectations at fault somewhat.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paget Brewster's only skit was really great. It's a shame she wasn't in more of it.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
All the eps have been great so far. Sometimes hit or miss but so was the original show, and when the jokes land they hit hard

Not sure if I love or am absolutely terrified by the opening credits

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there are a few flops but the original show had hits and misses too. It still has the ability to hit it out of the park, though, and god drat I just love having this crew back doing poo poo, there's not one person in the show who isn't awesome.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

feedmyleg posted:

Hm. Not totally feeling it 3 episodes in. It's not bad, just kinda okay. Probably my expectations at fault somewhat.

This. Only two sketches really approached some of the best of Mr. Show, the Traffic Stop sketch and the oval office one. Both fizzled a bit at their ends, but they had that clever insanity that the best Mr. Show sketches had.

All in all, I'm happy they got the chance to make this new show. I'd love to see more episodes, not necessarily based on the strength of this season, but on the strength of their body of work. I get the sense they had a fire in the belly during their Mr. Show days, and this time around they didn't have that same drive to keep digging for the good stuff. As a result Mr. Show got everyone on their A games, this time around 16 years had passed and they were in a different place. That isn't always a bad thing, it just made some sketches run too long, and sketches which didn't mine the material like they could have.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've seen the first two and really enjoyed them, the only sketch that really didn't land for me was fundamentalist Islam as Hollywood producers, since it didn't really do anything with the idea beyond "Hey, wouldn't this be wacky?"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've seen the first two and really enjoyed them, the only sketch that really didn't land for me was fundamentalist Islam as Hollywood producers, since it didn't really do anything with the idea beyond "Hey, wouldn't this be wacky?"

Yeah, I think that was easily the worst skit. Their skits normally have some kind of ridiculous concept, and then somehow make it even more ridiculous and absurd as they go on. That skit just kind was there, and didn't advance the joke much. However, its influence on the ending of that episode was really great. The 72 virgin joke was really predictable in retrospect, but it was hilarious and kind of perfect. 72 fat white guys hounding them about cult TV shows for eternity really is appropriate for Bob and David.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Nichael posted:

Paget Brewster's only skit was really great. It's a shame she wasn't in more of it.
Who are some other new people that show up besides Paget and Key?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The Birthday Boys show up for several bit parts. Makes sense, with their ties to Bob.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Flo from the Progressive ads made an appearance too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea there are a few flops but the original show had hits and misses too. It still has the ability to hit it out of the park, though, and god drat I just love having this crew back doing poo poo, there's not one person in the show who isn't awesome.
And plus the flops will be made better when they release commentary tracks and have Paul and Jay improv over them

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad that the Heaven is Totes 4 Realz sketch was a lot funnier than the trailer implied it would be.
"We're not going to let you make God out to be some all forgiving monster!"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I really loved the overall theme of the last episode.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

BSam posted:

edit: plus holy poo poo is that a cyriak opening sequence?

It is indeed Cyriak and I was probably way too excited about that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 15, 2015

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
I'm loving this. It feels very true to the spirit of the original. The sketches feel very thought-out, and even the misses have a bit of a appeal to them.

Maybe I'm just a Bob & David fanboy. the 72 virgins, basically

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was a lot of fun but yeah like the definition of hit-and-miss. The very first sketch especially was just horrible, but the hits REALLY hit.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well that wasn't very good, so much wasted opportunity given the massive writing staff and actually getting the whole gang back together.

The best line was "We already talked?"

But I do hope the actual "digital" shitbag that works at AOL can never safely walk down the street without people shouting it in his digital face.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I've watched the first three so far and I'm liking it. I agree that it's hit and miss and the hits really hit nicely but I don't think the misses are that bad in the sense that they're not completely cringe-worthy that some sketch show misses are. They're just kind of flat. Which is a fair trade off, considered.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, even when I wasn't laughing I was still glad to be watching these douchebags do their thing

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Fourth ep was definitely the weakest. I liked the salesman bit at least.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I love them but I hate they didn't go with Paul F. Tompkins suggestion for the show name: Mrs. How with Bob & David

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Yeah, it didn't go anywhere, and if it was just political commentary it seemed weirdly late to the game since a lot of comedy shows did bits about western media being squeemish about the Prophet Mohammed years ago. There were no surprises either. I felt like I was missing the joke.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

DuhSal posted:

Fourth ep was definitely the weakest. I liked the salesman bit at least.

I liked it a bit, but mainly because it was a skit based on the Maysles' Salesman film.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Very hit or miss, the first and third episodes had the higher percentage of good bits I thought.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wish there was more than 4 episodes so they could really get their stride going. The funniest to me was the Court one.

He hit me first!
Yeah I asked him where the popcorn was and he didn't respond so I punched him.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I knew nothing about the show going in (I never watched Mr. Show) so I was pleased that the other writers were able to reel in David Cross' inherent... David Crossness and create a loving hilarious show.

I was watching the fifth episode and was waiting for the fake making-of documentary to go off the rails in some way when I realized that it was actually a real documentary and they only made four drat episodes.

What's up with that?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Before we get to that, answer this. What is your plan for going back and watching Mr. Show?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

shadow puppet of a posted:

Before we get to that, answer this. What is your plan for going back and watching Mr. Show?

When they add it to HBO Now?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lelandjs posted:

When they add it to HBO Now?
Or if its not too much of a strain you could just type "mr. show" into youtube, the first hit appears to be a full series playlist.

As to the four episode run. I have no idea. But I'd guess it was both busy schedules and the need to keep them separated enough to keep them from thinking another Ronnie Dobbs movie would be a good idea.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, I bought all the DVDs used on Amazon recently, they were like $20 for 4 seasons after shipping.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Bob Odenkirk has his own hit show going and I'm sure David Cross has other poo poo he's working on too. Netflix probably made a deal with them to make however much of this as they want/could.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Watching the "making of" ep (which I too fully expected to be a fake behind the scenes thing) made me like some of the iffy sketches more, just watching them write together. I missed Mr. Show by a few years, but even without that I still had a couple good laughs and it's definitely worth watching.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Or if its not too much of a strain you could just type "mr. show" into youtube, the first hit appears to be a full series playlist.

As to the four episode run. I have no idea. But I'd guess it was both busy schedules and the need to keep them separated enough to keep them from thinking another Ronnie Dobbs movie would be a good idea.
Well the 1st season of Mr. Show was 4 episodes too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've been enjoying this quite a bit. Mr. Show was always hit or miss and I don't blame them for being a little rusty. I hope there's more though, I definitely enjoy it enough to think 4 episodes is way too short.

The little bits of text they have throughout their sketches are pretty funny if you pause them.

• Locked thread