Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

On Magic:
Magic is omnipresent, but low level. In its own way magic helps to define the world, but it is generally only by large communal effort that magic can be wrought effectively. It is impossible to simply start throwing fireballs around as if the laws of nature did not exist, but when you possess a large number of like minded people all desperatly hoping that the crops will not fail? Or a secret ceremony carried out in the dead of winter by the elders of a tribe? Magic comes from Ritual and from the Gods, but its efforts can be expended by the individual or a community.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I would like to use 3 points to change the entirety of the largest island into Jungle/forest.

Then I would like to use 3 more points to sink the area between the northern Island and the main continent into the sea entirely.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 15, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vast over-estimation of resources. Please ignore.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 16, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm afraid you've gotten yourself confused somewhere on the costs! Each use of Shape Land costs 3 points for every 1", or in this case six hexes during the first age. You can use it as many times as you like, with each purchase potentially being a different terrain you're placing. It looks like you're thinking each use of the power only costs a single point.

Thats where I hosed up! Thank you! Will make the alterations now!

Okay, adding more land to northern most island for 6 points
Adding a small Island in the southern ocean for 3 points
Adding a Mountain range on the northern island for 3 points

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 16, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Going to spend 8 of my points on making the grey area into more arctic tundra. Hopefully that just counts as climate and only costs 2 points per 6 squares? Thanks!

Also, I must admit I am really pleased by how fast all of this seems to be going on, at this rate we'll be at turn 6 in about 2 days.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 16, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Feel better soon mate!

Using 3 points to create more of the reef.
Then using 10 points to change the climate in the marked territory to being fertile and also slightly warm, but not too humid. Good for growing things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am also in favour of moving to the next age.

But I am spending 2 points to change the climate of 06.05, 07.04, 09.05, 10.05 and 10.06 to make the trees none tropical.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

rakovsky maybe posted:

Why did my points go from 18 last turn to 2 this turn without me doing anything?

I presume that it either is supposed to be 22 or used as shorthand for +2.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so going with the water theme:

Adding a river to the six spaces in the corner island for 3 points
Adding a second heading north from the inland sea/lake 3 points Both of these are marked by the squiggly blue line
Adding a mountain wall around the rice lands for 3 points. Marked as brown hexes
Adding a small forest/ scrubland near the desert for 3 points marked in lime green
Adding a secondary forest of pine trees at two points on the map for 3 points marked in Dark green.

If anyone wants me to stop making the maps I can do but I do just find it a bit easier personally!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 22, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Holding on to my points for now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Spending 20 points to add a new race. The first ones to have a new development. "Faces" popping these guys down on 06.04

The Chrr are bipedal creatures that live on the northern most island of this part of the world. At the present time they are formed into loose kinship groups and mainly live on the coastlines and in the mountains caves. They are reasonably tall, about 6"5 when fully grown and appear to have a very long life cycle, if a more mammalian one than the deep ones. The kinship groups on the lower plains are mainly pastoralists, herding but moving between set grounds. Those that live in the mountains are stationary, but live through hunting and gathering. They have no written language but already some differences are beginning to develop between the mountain and the plain peoples. Wether this will diversify or end is anyone's guess at the moment.

Also spending 3 points on making 05.01, 06.02, 07.02, 08.03, 09.03 and 04.03 into hillocks!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 27, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I just wanted to make sure that the plane had at least one race with a face.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Adding more ice and holding on to my 2 remaining points until next turn. When we will almost certainly be moving on.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

12 points spent on turning the yellow highlighted areas into pine forest

Also voting yes on moving on.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 7, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Command Race- for 4 points Order the Chrr to found the first land based city in 06.04 and call it "Seaheim"

Command Race- For 4 points Order the Chrr to create a new divine order based around the study of bones and entrails. They are called Augurs and must never eat any meat, must be ritually "clean" and can include members from either gender.

Create Race- For 6 points- Create a race of Giants. Most are about 15-20 feet in height, with some reaching truly stupendous heights in old age. They live in the mountainous regions to the south of the great desert, herding large flocks of their storm sheep and living in settled family groups of between 10 and 20. They are generally peacable and have little desire for weaponry at the moment, but some appear to possess a great deal of interest about the movements of the stars and heavens.

Giants go in 29.08

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OOC: Whoops, could we make the giants black? That'd be brilliant!

Command Race 4 points Commanding the Chrr to create a second city, this one in the mountains of 08.04. This new city, called Skyheim, exploits some of the metals of the upper regions, and may provide useful metals to many of the people of the rest of the world, should they ever come into contact.

Command Race 4 points Commanding the Giants to begin to build the worlds largest observatory in square 29.10. Within which many hundreds of gigantic scrolls are drawn of the movements of the heavens, the giants use them to gain all manner of information about what they should do with their lives and become fascinated by the creation of constelations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

rakovsky maybe posted:

Did the Command Radiant to Create City at 20.27 action from last turn not work? Other than that question I'm just sitting on my points this round.

It did, but there Gamerofthegame mentioned how the map wouldn't update, so it's going to be plonked in next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

My guys (the Chrr specifically) are probably going to be rather like humanity, but their development (and magical stuff) may be slightly different.

Going to be spending 3 points to make the elves find the tree to be an interesting structure and are very suprised to find that one day it has given birth to saplings. This development spurs the Elves to begin interacting with them and causes the trees to "mirror" them in movement. This leads to certain elves being able to do twice the work in the same amount of time, as the new "wood elves" form a kind of living shadow to them.

Spending 7 points for one of the Augurs to gain a kind of divine transcendence, and become a "prophet". He carries a new message to the Chrr calling upon all members of the group to build houses of rock and to create hill forest for defense against any potential darkness that may be coming from across the sea. He also does great magical trials without ever lifting a blade, including turning an arrow aimed at him into a bird and gliding through the air using his own breath.

He also ( with the help of 5 points from me) advances the civilization from being merely low level hunters and agriculturalists to being far more competent. It leads to an explosion of different food stuffs to metal working, bronze shaping and into being able to build hill forts around the outside of their cities. He also directs the people to "weapon take" to elect their leaders, based on the number of men and women who have spears or craft tools.

Also for sea to the East of the Chrr going to call it "Storm Lords Pool". The lush areas where humanity live might be something like "The land beneath the shadow" because much of it is under the shadow of the mountain range to the east.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread