Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

King of Bees posted:

Do you use your goats to scare the trolls on the something awful.com forums?

I understand they have powefs against trolls.

I never thought about it till now but noone has trolled me since my goat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren: ive just received word that pecky becky has laid an egg :siren:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bunmo posted:

Hey sup Isaac goat haver. You seem super cool! Is a Wolf Goat Fish Man welcome in this thread? I am friend to all living creatures. Even the tasty ones! That being said goats are better used for clean garbage disposal, companionship, and milk. :3:

Im not quite sure what goatfishman is but they are welcome.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

wanna pet them guard goats

Theyre real suckers for belly rubs

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Luvcow posted:

if the OP can't answer this question then he's exposed as a fraud, any goat owner can answer it easily...

Sorry -yes

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

mdm posted:

why would raining affect your decision to, as you put it, "spliffo"?

Smoke it and hope it stops raining by the time its done

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

OhsH posted:

Pecky becky better stop followin u and eatin cig butts and become a good mom

It needs a daddy rooster to be a mom. The egg is gonna get fried tommorow.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

post pictures of the fried egg

I just got home and apparently banjo ate it already

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pecky becky sitting on my boot. Shes learning falconry slowly.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pecky becky with a bonus rabbit in the background

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tigern posted:

Looks upset

Chicken pupils are normally alot bigger. Its eyes look alot different to a normal chicken. It was a bloody mess when it got taken out of the chook paddock something attacked it and somehow it didnt die and now follows me around.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cowboy Pope posted:

We used to have a field full of goats in my neighborhood. One time my buddy was really bummed out so we went out drinking and he was still pretty morose, but on the way back from a snacks run we passed by the goats. He fed them some chips and laughed like a child and it made me pretty happy to see him catch a break. This is my main goat story.

Also they'll totally play games with you. Stand on a pile of dirt and when a goat tries to stand there too, don't let him do it. You are now playing king of the hill with several goats

I think most herbivore/prey animals are very theraputic to interact with if they let you.

What kind of sicko could not look at or even touch a rabbit without an elevation in their mood?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

I would not sass at that chicken, she looks pretty hardcore

Shes a real sook. Not at all tough.

E except surviving being what looked like a dying bird. Thats pretty hardcore.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

OP when can I expect my goats to arrive in the mail?

Maybe it was too big for the letterbox and they left it at the post office

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolly youre supposed to be guarding the chickens you big wet lump.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Might snap another goat pic soon for all the goat fanciers out there.

Sometimes driving to work theres all these wooly goats on the road im gonna try get a pic of them as well.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

ThePriceIsRight posted:

are you wearing dress pants?

Yes i was just home from work

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Heres some ducks

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

hate hoot posted:

Why did your sister shoot the newborn goat.

Boy goats dont make milk. So unless you are going to use them for genetics they just cost you food money. Unfortunate but thats country life.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

When we drive to my sister's at Thanksgiving I'm gonna try to get a picture of the yak ranch on the way. There is also an alpaca ranch and a buffalo or bison or whateverthefuck ranch.

It's pretty fuckin cool driving through the Rocky Mountains and all of a sudden "wait gently caress are those yaks?"

Pls get the yak pics

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

How does Pecky Becky navigate the yard and find food/water?

Dunno. Smell maybe. Can find pellets but dosent have a great strike rate pecking them.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ty for goat pics and stories

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres some older very large photos of animals. No goats might tale a goat photo when i get home.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

2 eggs from pecky becky. Good job bird.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Does she lay them somewhere predictable or just wherever?

Are you in one of the regions which is at high risk of bushfires over the next few days?

Shes in a pen atm because haters dont like chicken poo poo everywhere.

I think its pretty uncommon to get buahfires here cause we're high up and its cooler. If there was one it would be hosed up cause there is a national forest edge about 200m away thats a trillion tons of fuel.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

stinky ox posted:

this is my ex-goat Alice wearing her hat.

Outstanding goat pic

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ya looks like a pigbellied goat, a breed of goat i just imagined.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thursday morning goat pix

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

OhsH posted:

man i like the goats and all that but im rly here for becky

did you ever dig that hole for pecky becky

Ive got a free day today i was planning to do it but im feeling sick and its real hot outside. Gotta construct a cage which is a bit daunting in this heat.

I might just get some dirt with the tractor and do the cage another day.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fresh rabbit egg

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Becky's eggs are going to come out already cooked tomorrow. :(

In town i think it was 38 today. Here would have been maybe 32 peak.

I refilled peckys water and she was a thirsty girl.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Modest Mauser posted:

Christ. Heat is just awful, I do not understand how people live comfortably in these places.
My first four years in the US I lived in a miserable and desolate jungle named Georgia and it was 40°-42° most of the summer.

What are your peak temperatures like in Australia ?

In the southeast where most people live there will be a week or so of 40+ a year. Everywhere else can get very hot. Darwin is like 40 at midnight in the winter.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

How did Becky, the goats, the sheep and the dogges hold up to today's heat?

I was in town and it was very hot. I just got home and everything seems alive.

I haven't been in the bush for 6 years and i b forgot about the fire danger signs. Windy as gently caress and 38 degrees and it was only at 'severe' what kind of weather gets the top rating 'catastrophic'?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

"Catastrophic" is when conditions are such that it's unlikely a fire could be brought under control and people need to evacuate early. It's never safe to stay and defend in catastrophic conditions - you'll lose your water supply and shelter and you'll lose visibility and escape routes.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_bans_and_ratings/more_about_fire_danger_rating.jsp

It's still 41 here and starting to get pretty windy. Not really expected to cool down for another few hours.

The fire ratings take into account wind and humidity as well as temperature. It was hotter here today than yesterday but less humid. If we keep getting this rain/extreme heat cycle, the fuel load is going to be enormous by summer and there wasn't a lot of controlled burning this year because the heat started late September.

I remember The canberra fire where even in safe areas The sky was totally red. felt like an alien planet.

News stories from the vic ones a while ago about families frying in their cars were hosed up.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

I dont have any cute pics today but instead a lesson on free range eggs.

This many chickens will tear up a peice of ground till its mud in a day or two. It improves the soil in the long run but they need to be moved a few times a week.

Look at this pic and imagine 100 chickens for every one, never being moved. You can call that free range legally.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nubile Hillock posted:

How in the heck do you move all those chickens??

They roost in a shed every night so you move it a little bit regularly and tgwy leaen to follow it.

If you move it too far for their bird brains they swarm into a huddle and mass death occurs cause chickens are very hot animals and they die of heat in a few minutes.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The little boy goat is going to a new home. This guy drives a ford ute (not the sedan kind, the proper truck one). I dont think ive ever seen such a thing.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
On that topic the local area has some weird beef goinf on between landcruisers and patrols. People wearing partisan shirts and decals on their car. Theyre all involving some kind of injoke or they are written by schizophrenics, not sure which.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jesus this guy taking the goat is making the bother goats worried. Theyre hanging out near the truck with the baby goat on it making sad sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pecky becky eggy

• Locked thread