Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I would like to participate. Thank you for organizing. Any idea for how you will accept work? Do you want us to mock up a two page spread? Choose from a list of layouts and select photos ourselves? Give you a bunch of photos and allow you to curate?

Are you going to collect some or all money before you accept submissions?

Dren fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Bully-curated aesthetics

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
someone do one that integrates a graph of reciprocity failure for portra 400, not me though i'm just an ideas guy

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

+1 but the title is "reciprocal failure"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Saint Fu posted:

I feel like a theme would maybe be a good idea.

Someone with a vision for how to organize submissions taking sole charge of curating would be a good idea. Setting a theme ahead of time would be an awful lot like the monthly contest threads and could be kinda ehhh.

A difficulty with curation and this financial model is balancing financial support from the submitters against how many of each submitter's works are accepted. A practical way around this problem would be to cap accepted submissions per submitter and set a flat rate for inclusion regardless of how much work is accepted (1 picture/poem/whatever accepted pays the same as 3).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

My best effort based on previous feedback. It's just two weights of the font Lato.

this is really good and i like it but i also like the two tone/transparent thing with the reciprocity failure curve, would it be lovely and bad to incorporate that?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Option 2

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thoogsby posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I would prefer to keep mention of SA or the dorkroom out of it. One reason is that it would be easier to show people and not have to explain what the dorkroom is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
sent

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Booze for the curator isn't in the budget?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ansel autisms posted:

Working on the list right now, finishing it today.

The last question I have: how should I be announcing things? I can either email everything to elgarbo in secret (and individually to each person saying what went in), or I can just post here with names & filenames which are mostly ambiguous enough that only the submitter should know what the images are.

Thoughts?

I'd prefer emails, if you do post the list please don't doxx people

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

Some... interesting ideas. I like the idea of the reciprocity chart, makes sense.

In other news: I just got a quote from the publisher. At 80 pages, with perfect binding, matte 216 gsm art paper cover and 150 gsm silk finish pages we're looking at about AUD $15 per copy. That's about $10.80 in real American dollars.

There are obviously some other costs that will also need to be factored in; postage obviously is a big one, shipping materials (protective mailers, board to prevent bending etc), payment processing fees and lastly the cost of producing a proof before we go into final production. All up I'd estimate it'll come in at around AUD $25 including worldwide shipping.

is it still 8x10? This thing is gonna be ~1.5 lbs. is there a weight limit for still calling something a zine?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

I don't know about that... But I just did a calculation to find out its actual weight for postage purposes and it is notably too heavy. I think I'm going to need to shrink it down to about 6x7 inches to keep shipping costs reasonable.

for 8x10:
code:
>>> m_per_in = 0.0254
>>> lbs_per_g = 0.00220462
>>> (8 * m_per_in) * (10 * m_per_in) * 150 * 80 * lbs_per_g
>>> (8 * m_per_in) * (10 * m_per_in) * 216 * 2 * lbs_per_g
~1.5 lbs

for 6x7:
code:
>>> (6 * m_per_in) * (7 * m_per_in) * 150 * 80 * lbs_per_g
>>> (6 * m_per_in) * (7 * m_per_in) * 216 * 2 * lbs_per_g
~0.75 lbs

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

Hold up... 80 pages isn't 80 individual sheets of paper.

The calculation is actually 2 x 216gsm page + 38 x 150 gsm page.

How big is each page? Are they 8x10 pages folded so each page is 4x5?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I would like bigger photos too

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Seems like once el garbo gets the proof he could make a quick ks vid where he shows the proof and says "hey kickstart this". Can we get some stretch goals like el garbo includes a precious australian artifact with your zine(s)? (An empty can of fosters)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Awesome!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

8th-snype posted:

Platinum member donation: $15K: You fly to Australia, Elgarbo and WTF take you to Deaders house so you can throw empty beer cans at him for keeping the AE1 nearly as long as NYC did then you have a cookout or something throw some shrimp on the barbie (airfare and beers not included)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
pledged for two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Got my zines! Thanks elgarbo!

• Locked thread