Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well I'm definitely in for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Perhaps the solution is to accept submissions and then mercilessly cull shitposts. Don't participate if you're not willing to face the cold, brutal truth of rejection.

An overall theme wouldn't really work since our photos all have a wide spread of themes, which in itself is what would make the zine interesting. Considering you're the one who initiated this Dorkroom zine and are pretty much most of the work, I think you can be the one to do the curation and rejections. Those who aren't happy with your rejections can go start their own zine :P

So yeah, I'd go with your submit 5 photos idea and then you pick the best 2 for the zine. You'll also probably want to cap the number of participants to maybe 30 so that this doesn't get out of hand.

PS: If you're not comfortable being the curator, I nominate 365 Nog Hogger, who is the Official Dorkroom Mod-Approved Arbiter Of What Is And Is Not Art.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Technically I am not the approved arbiter for 2015 or 2016 according to my title.

Well a Nobel Prize winner is a still a Nobel Prize winner, regardless of the year :P
But I'm also down with the autist as the curator, he knows his stuff.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If the cover image is going to be picked from the submissions, would it be better to choose it from the final set of photos, then base the cover design on it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

My best effort based on previous feedback. It's just two weights of the font Lato.

Yeah I quite like this one. Simple and good.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I like this one!

I'd say make this zine mainly open to sale to people in the Dorkroom, but maybe provide a way for non-Dorkroomers to buy if they want a copy.

Where money is involved, I'd say go with pre-orders, so for example, using a Google Form to capture who wants a copy, and then sending them PayPal invoices later. Whoever pays by a certain deadline gets a copy. Or we can wrap up the project in a Kickstarter shell, I'm not too sure which is the better option. Anyway this makes the shipping logistics much easier for Elgarbo, unless he wants to do on-demand printing?

Also, agreed on having concrete deadlines. Deadline for final participants, for submission of photos, for judging of photos, and for printing and shipping the zine. Would be good to establish a timeline for them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mido posted:

a KS shell seems sane but I don't know the hidden costs. Like evaluate the assumed demand based on dork room feedback, set up the KS based around that assumed modest cost

You could make the baseline backing figure as the cost x number of participants, since I assume all the participants would want a copy of the zine. Any extra backers would be a bonus.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

There is also print on demand option like magcloud. That way there is no production costs involved, and we have unlimited number of copies to sell.

That's the option I use for my zines, but you won't get to choose your fancy paper stock, and it's digital printing instead of offset printing. Not sure what sort of printing company Elgarbo is planning to use though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'll go with option 1.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Dumb question, but how will the color profile stuff work here for our submissions? I've never printed seriously and don't know what the heck I'm doing. Every time I try to print something on my Pixma it looks like murky crap.

My guess is, calibrate your monitor (if you can) and export in sRGB.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 20, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

The paper will be matte or semi matte. 300dpi is ideal but not this being a zine, lower dpi files should be okay if you can't provide that level of quality.

As to size and page layouts, I'll put together some mockup pages a little later in the process so that contributors who make it through the curating process can choose how their photos are presented.

Full bleed is 8x10 inches. We can use the entire dimensions of the page if we want.

It would be good to know what is the printer's lpi and printing type e.g. halftone / continuous tone so that we can prepare the files for output sharpening. Plus it's hard to sharpen if we don't know the exact image output dimensions on the layout. So technically this should be done after curation.

Or we can just ignore all of that and sharpen for matte.

With regards to the intro, I'd rather not mention SA anyway but talk more about why we're doing this and about the photos as well. I feel that the curator should have some input in the intro as he is the one doing the curation after all, so he can talk about how he chose the photos, on a general level.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

We should probably send them all unsharpened. If elgarbo is able to make a proof, that will reveal how much if any needs to be done and then it's a matter of running the same level of sharpening and reinserting them into the template. A PITA for sure, but probably the only way to get a consistent product.

Since some of us have already sent photos, perhaps it's easier for elgarbo to just take what everyone has sent (and that has been curated by ansel autisms) to do a nice layout and once everyone is satisfied, he gives us the final print dimensions and we do the necessary resizing and output sharpening.

But otherwise I don't mind re-sending unsharpened images again. Depends on the workflow elgarbo wants to do.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Get your submissions in people!

If we change our mind about the photos submitted, do we just send in another email?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Just a reminder to get your photos in, folks. The Official Dorkroom Zine email account is currently pretty bare - it's mostly just alkenphel changing his mind about what to submit.

Email your poo poo to dorkroomzine@gmail.com by December 5.

You're probably going to see everyone submit on December 5 itself.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Yeah realistically I know that's how it'll unfold. And no doubt there'll be some who just forget all about it and miss the deadline and then weep gently for having missed out on being in such a slick publication.

(Alternate outcome - they weep with joy for having missed out on being in such a horrible publication.)

It's going to be Schrödinger's zine.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think my print ready shots are like under 5mb so I was really puzzled by all the Dropbox links. But I guess you guys are all submitting full res photos.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

There will probably be sequencing, design, and layout that needs to be done as well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

This is true, but hopefully won't take too long. I'm off work for the next six weeks so I should be able to design and collate everything over that break. The plan is to keep it simple and classy (indeed, the very antithesis of the Dorkroom itself.)

Yeah I think simple is best and fastest too. You can probably arrange the submissions by last name alphabetical order too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

I vote for post the file names.

I'd go with this, leaving out the real names.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

the only correct response is a photo of ansel autism's rear end

Make sure it's a long exposure of his butt at night on Portra 400.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Ultimately, it'll all depend on how much the zine actually weighs. When I have the proof I can take it to the post office, get it weighed and provide exact postage costs for any number of zines.

Edit: but yeah, I would anticipate that it should be cheaper shipping for multiples.

It also depends if you're shipping by package or by weight.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Count me in as another one who would rather pay more for a larger print size.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think it would be easier if Elgarbo setup a Google forms submission thing to capture the details of those who want a copy (and more).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I wouldn't mind the 8-10% markup as an administrative cost. Makes payment collection and processing much easier too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ric posted:

If we're aiming for a consistent, clean design, I'd be tempted to make all images have apparently equal area rather than print each one to fill as much page area as possible. Given some images have different aspect ratios, I'm suggesting what one perceives to have equal weight, not necessarily what is actually equal.

While that would be consistent, I kinda feel that's just probably going to end up wasting space on paper. I'd probably go with the solution of rotating landscape shots to turn them into "portrait" orientation, maximizing the space. And although I do think it could possible be jarring, ultimately this isn't a sequenced photobook but a showcase of separate works so the continuity in that sense doesn't really matter so much IMO. But I guess the final choice should be Elgarbo's, since he's the one doing all the hard work.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well at least I now know my design sense is pretty bad!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Suggestion: keep the portrait shots the same paper area as the landscape shots and enjoy the whitespace.

Maybe go for 8x8 or 10x10 zine size so that portrait or landscape orientation will be roughly be the same image size.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

But then all of your square crops will be bigger than everyone else's!

Could always make it 3/4 lengthwise of the long side.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

There was an artist that went around central Australia spray paining roadkill and photographing it, bright orange and magenta kangaroos.

That sounds like something that should be on the back cover.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I'd just vote with letting elgarbo pick the back cover image from all the submissions that didn't make it into the pages.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

I spoke to the printing company yesterday. The proof should be printed today or tomorrow, and therefore in my hands in a couple of days.

I'll post a few teaser images here and set up the Kickstarter before the end of January.

Looking forward to it!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pledged for 3 copies!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

And the huge surge of goon support has thrust us into the Featured Projects for photography.

I'll be quite amazed if someone other than us in here backs this.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Anyway when it's all finished I'll do the sums and will post it here and we can figure out what to do with any spare dollars.

Use it to buy yourself a beer after shipping out so many goddamn copies.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

To be quite honest my accounting skills are complete and utter poo poo so I have only a very vague and fuzzy idea of whether there is going to be money left over. If we crack 100 copies we will see the first of the volume discounts but it isn't very much, maybe 80 cents per issue? - need to be pushing upwards of 500-1000 copies to see any sizable drop in prices

As of now, 5 more copies to break that 100 copies mark.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

How do you know where to ship the zines btw? I didn't see an address field when I singed up.

I think he has to send out an address survey later when he's ready to ship them. I don't think the printing is done yet.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

brb adding *!*PUBLISHED ART PHOTOGRAPHER*!* to my Linkedin

Yay now we can endorse each other

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

All things going to plan, I'll get the zines this week and then begin the postal apocalypse.

Awwwyeah :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Sent you a PM requesting a ship-to address change - I'll be travelling for the next 6 weeks so I'd like you send mine to my parents.

Hopefully they won't open the package and suffer the crushing realization about what their son has become.

Just ask elgarbo to add a note saying this is some new limited edition toilet paper.

• Locked thread