Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

MarcusSA posted:

So what am I supposed to be doing with these monsters that drop from dungeons? Like I know that the exp cats are for exp but what about all these other random dudes? Right now I've been just feeding them for exp but they really don't give much.

Yep just feed em for exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

What are some good scissor heroes to grind?

I'm up to area 7 and my scissor team is lacking because it only consist of deb. :v:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I suppose there gets to be a point in the game where you really need a healer in your party? I swapped out Sraka for Mas, so I'm rocking Chris, Kai, Carrot, Deborah and Mas. Seems like it could get the job done.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

Somefool posted:

I'm up to area 7 and my scissor team is lacking because it only consist of deb. :v:

For units you can reasonably attain, Bearman in Girgas is a very solid scissor tank and I've heard Sonic Boom is pretty good since the patch, but I don't use him myself.

For units you can't reasonably attain from where you are currently, Chenny is great when she appears on Lost Island (should be next week), but she takes a long time to grind out genes for. Lee in area 10 is one of the best units in the game. Lena is fantastic, but you'll have to grind Dimensional Breakthrough to get her.

There are a lot of very strong scissor characters, but really unfortunately most of them are late-game or obnoxious to obtain. At least Deborah's really good!

WilliamRaineyHarper
Jun 26, 2006

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Seriously don't waste your time playing this game.
Its soul-less and extremely repetitive.
I clicked on this thread because I enjoy final fantasy tactics but this is not "like" final fantasy tactics at all.
For people similarly mislead, check out the hacked version of final fantasy tactics if you are looking to replay a great game.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Somefool posted:

Bearman is quite good. I'd skip Jin (they buffed her but she still only has 4 movement and 1 range).

Chenny and Lena are the Deb replacements.

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

WilliamRaineyHarper posted:

Seriously don't waste your time playing this game.
Its soul-less and extremely repetitive.
I clicked on this thread because I enjoy final fantasy tactics but this is not "like" final fantasy tactics at all.
For people similarly mislead, check out the hacked version of final fantasy tactics if you are looking to replay a great game.

It's not final fantasy tactics - online mobile version, if that's what you're looking for, but it's still the most FFT-like phone game out of everything out there (outside of the actual FFT port now available). Directional advantage, terrain advantage, aggro/skill ranges, and the difference between dying like a chump and breezing through a level being simply knowing what to do makes playing it an actual tactical challenge, which is the only reason I'm still playing it.

I don't know what you mean by soul-less, I find that there is plenty of character and unconventional design decisions, but this game is still a korean phone game, so there's gonna be some grinding involved. I get through it by simply autoing levels on an emulator in the background while I do computer stuff.

It seems like you came here expecting an FFT clone, when this game is actually a korean phone game with FFT-like gameplay.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

reminds me more of disgaea tbh.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

reminds me more of disgaea tbh.

The point of disgaea was to break the system over your knee with crazy rear end combo multipliers. I can't do that with this game.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Phew! I was stuck on ToD 60 for awhile because I had no healers. Hastily built up Gillan to 4* and somehow managed to survive despite the constant Cleo barrage.

Any other hard stops in hard ToD?

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

Any other hard stops in hard ToD?

Plenty of them. I was stuck on 75 for a couple days and 85 most of the month. Other notes:

65: Don't touch the reapers (aggro radius is a 1-tile cross-shape). The boss is immune to %hp damage but is stunnable.
70: Boss is immune to melee damage. Use disarm or immobilize. My Carrot and Raboff ended up duo'ing him with the help of the hp potions.
75: Boss is immune to ranged damage. Rotate disarms or immobilize. Level also has crit-wolves and Cleo's.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone have a recommended setup for auto farming Chenny genes? Probably won't try for anything above Island 1.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Somefool posted:

Anyone have a recommended setup for auto farming Chenny genes? Probably won't try for anything above Island 1.

Auto-farming Chenny and Muang doesn't work, because the AI is dumb as hell and goes for the infinitely respawning mobs over the mandatory bosses. You can, however, pretty easily get to the point where you can farm even Chenny's level 3 as long as you have the right people.

I did it while I was still low 4* high 3*, using Alfred, Gillan, Jack, any character with 3+ range basic attack, and any one other character. Alfred MUST be first, and it helps to have Gillan be in... third, I think. Jack should be second or fourth.

Enter with a hellfire saved up, blow it immediately, moving everybody up, keeping Jack on the right side.

Move Alfred up to the left, putting him right in the corner of Chenny's 9 square area, and use his second attack to hit her. This will cause that Chenny, on her turn, to move right next to him, 2 squares from the potion zone, and hit him with her first attack.

Move Gillan up onto the poison square to support Alfred. Move your ranged character up towards the potion square, move Jack up 2 squares away from the potion square, facing ahead. This will cause THAT Chenny to hit him from the side, putting her 3 squares away from the potion square. Move the last character up towards supporting Jack.

The Chennys will behave as noted. Move Alfred around behind, your ranged attacker up to take the potion and support against both Chenny, attacking one of them. Gillan try to disarm the chenny he can hit from where he is with terrain advantage. Jack move around to his Chenny's side and start spamming his 3, and then the final character moves up to support Jack, being sure never to be where Chenny can hit both them and Jack.

Chenny's attack pattern will always go 1, 2, 3, and by the time she finishes that pattern, you should have her close enough that everybody who survives can finish her.

I'm pretty sure this general strat works even on Chenny 1 and 2, but be sure and try to do the 3 if you can, the rewards are MUCH better. Once you unlock Chenny, absolutely swap her in as Jack's supporter, and immediately bump her rank 1 up to 10 so it's eating 7.5% of that Chenny's HP at a time.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Cat dungeon became a lot easier when I realized the trick is to attack them in a way that they can't counter.

Also, which Corridor stage drops the 4th rebirth material? I am on Corridor 4 for all 3 and Deborah/Carrot are both truckin' on up to 50 since I'm giving them all of my expeditions and shoving all of my non-red exp down their throats.

e: This exp event sure is helping too since I've been auto-clearing stages with my excess stam when doing other things. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 20, 2016

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Also, which Corridor stage drops the 4th rebirth material?

e: This exp event sure is helping too since I've been auto-clearing stages with my excess stam when doing other things. :v:

Rule of thumb is Rebirth level times 2. So the best place to farm the 4th rebirth material is level 8. If you can't quite make it to the desired level, the next lowest even level works (so in your case 6).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Cat dungeon became a lot easier when I realized the trick is to attack them in a way that they can't counter.

The trick to paper coocoos is literally Alfred. Once you have his third skill to rank 10, he 100% locks down all of them within three squares of him, which removes all their counterattack damage. Once you can do that, you can use almost anybody to blow up the rest.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I read the write-up in the OP about weapons/armour, but is there a good rule of thumb about what kinds of equipment to generally use for defensive, attack, balanced, etc.. characters? My shootymans seem to have higher crit than others so I gave em bows. Do balanced characters benefit more from counter than hit? Info like that wouls be appreciated.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

I read the write-up in the OP about weapons/armour, but is there a good rule of thumb about what kinds of equipment to generally use for defensive, attack, balanced, etc.. characters? My shootymans seem to have higher crit than others so I gave em bows. Do balanced characters benefit more from counter than hit? Info like that wouls be appreciated.

Everybody wants bows and armor, unless they have crappy hit%, in which case give them a sword or two. Accessories should be necklaces to get up to 100% mastery, then rings for attackers and brooches for tanks. There aren't really any viable counter builds left in the game, so maces and shields are poo poo, and dodge basically caps out at like 66% dodge, and because of the way it interacts with hit rates, it's really significantly lower than that, so boots are pretty bad for the most part.

There's a pretty good guide up on reddit about what kind of item potentials you want if you have modification stones to blow.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is Lance worth using at all? I put the bare minimum into him so he wouldn't die during Deborah's Hell stage, but he doesn't look that interesting compared to other options.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Is Lance worth using at all? I put the bare minimum into him so he wouldn't die during Deborah's Hell stage, but he doesn't look that interesting compared to other options.

He's good for auto'ing paper CooCoo's (the exp dungeon). His second skill will shut down the final boss of Tower of Dawn. He also gets 6 movement when you have another swamp-walker (e.g. Serendi). He doesn't have a passive taunt, though, so he's worse than Bearman (from Girgas) most of the time.

In other words, he's not essential, no.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Re: game being soulless...

I was originally in agreement when I first started playing, but there's a lot of clever touches that make it amusing, even if the localization is pretty rough; basically the concept is "what if the main player character was entirely reprehensible, and nobody really cared?". I mean, in the first few chapters he's press-ganging his master into his army, exploiting an amnesiac, brainwashing people, and cloning people who do things like wipe out entire villages because they're nuts...and it's all presented in a very colorful and upbeat style.

Hell; the vast majority of allies you don't even convert to your cause JRPG style; you just outright kill them, then with enough grinding in a zone you go "oh yeah, I could make a clone of them who unwaveringly follows the original's murderer". Jack is presented as having a history with Ian, and being reluctant about supporting the elian kingdom, and being sent to die by his boss...doesn't matter, murder him and clone him into an amazing boss killer dog.

Also the approach to T'nA is too hilarious for me to get annoyed at; nearly every female character has the exact same Z cup oranges bolted to their chest, with no regard for how they show up on the model or if they mesh with the design or if they even -make sense-, it's the least titillating titilation I have ever seen, which I absolutely love. Chris has a full normal breastplate on her model, and her art mostly represents that, but she still gets completely unrealistic watermelon superglued to her armor, it's great.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also as far as balance and cash shop goes, this game is pretty decent. The latest patch buffed basically all the beginner heroes that get outpaced by harder to obtain heroes (especially Chris, who has gone from bland rangeless stunbot who gets even that stolen by Mu, to badass AoE defense crunching rear end in a top hat who can also do a great job of protecting squishy heroes from damage).

My biggestbproblem is with set equipment; literally every other IAP game guarantees a rare item on 10x draws, whereas in FWT all it gets you is saving some upgrade materials on one item. Piss weak.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I got all of the limited purchase chocolate stuff and I have an excessive amount left. All I can use it on now is the daily chocolate items + boosting chance of succeeding at upgrades right? Want to make sure I am not missing any options.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

I got all of the limited purchase chocolate stuff and I have an excessive amount left. All I can use it on now is the daily chocolate items + boosting chance of succeeding at upgrades right? Want to make sure I am not missing any options.

Yep, that's it. Upgrade till your fingers fall off.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

van fem posted:

Yep, that's it. Upgrade till your fingers fall off.

Cool, thanks. Also, is there a way to get Chris' pieces other than getting lucky with unknown genes? And after you max all of a character's skills, what happens to their genes from farming? I assume every skill caps at 10.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

Somefool posted:

As said above you can't really autofarm. But let me offer a much easier setup that I used with mixed 3/4*'s to farm her from 0-720 last time. I used in order Serendi/Kai/Jack/Carrot/Lance (or Bearman). Carrot could be someone else but they need a atk down debuff and range. You run serendi, kai. jack and carrot up and pick a side, burn the boss and reposition for the second boss. Have lance (or bearman if you have him) sit at the bottleneck and tank stuff. The positioning specifics are easy to figure out but with those 5 easy characters it made farming chenny a breeze.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Cool, thanks. Also, is there a way to get Chris' pieces other than getting lucky with unknown genes? And after you max all of a character's skills, what happens to their genes from farming? I assume every skill caps at 10.

I just use Perfect Genes, seeing as you should have a shitload of them now + Chris doesn't use a lot in the first place.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I just use Perfect Genes, seeing as you should have a shitload of them now + Chris doesn't use a lot in the first place.

Save your Perfect Genes. The next patch in March will let you choose a hero for Unknown genes (as well as Blue genes).

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Mardragon posted:

As said above you can't really autofarm. But let me offer a much easier setup that I used with mixed 3/4*'s to farm her from 0-720 last time. I used in order Serendi/Kai/Jack/Carrot/Lance (or Bearman). Carrot could be someone else but they need a atk down debuff and range. You run serendi, kai. jack and carrot up and pick a side, burn the boss and reposition for the second boss. Have lance (or bearman if you have him) sit at the bottleneck and tank stuff. The positioning specifics are easy to figure out but with those 5 easy characters it made farming chenny a breeze.

Is Chenny stun immune or can I shove Mu in there somewhere and chain stun?

Currently trying to max out Serendi's and Gillan's third skill so their proc chance isn't complete rear end.

Somefool fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 23, 2016

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

Somefool posted:

Is Chenny stun immune or can I shove Mu in there somewhere and chain stun?

Currently trying to max out Serendi's and Gillan's third skill so their proc chance isn't complete rear end.

She's stun immune and I found that out the hard way. The beauty of my setup for that fight is that there's no real gimmick.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Yep, I think I am done gold gear pulling forever.

9 blues and legendary shield. No set pieces. Goodbye 1050 gems :(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I haven't progressed far story-wise since I've just been basically autoplaying while at work/doing other things and dumping all of my stamina constantly. My current team is all 3*, consisting of 33 Chris, 23 Sraka, 25 Alfred, 50 Deborah and 46 Carrot. You can see where my resources have gone. :v: Next time I have a day off to actually play, I'm going to try and make some progress. Is this team advanced enough to clear the 6th stages of the rebirth dungeons, or to farm Jack?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Incidentally, it looks like Wild Chaser is one of this week's A-rank sets. It should be noted that it doesn't just enable water and swamp travel, but actually makes them favored. They will now trigger terrain bonus for attacking, and if you have Persona or Lance on your team, will trigger their passives. A paper character with all 3 pieces can trigger Jenny, Lance, and Persona at the same time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Incidentally, it looks like Wild Chaser is one of this week's A-rank sets. It should be noted that it doesn't just enable water and swamp travel, but actually makes them favored. They will now trigger terrain bonus for attacking, and if you have Persona or Lance on your team, will trigger their passives. A paper character with all 3 pieces can trigger Jenny, Lance, and Persona at the same time.

Well, at least that makes only getting 2 set pieces out of 20 rolls a bit less terrible :|

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Well, at least that makes only getting 2 set pieces out of 20 rolls a bit less terrible :|

That makes me wonder how a team of Mu (with those 2 pieces) + Jenny, Lance, Persona, and 1 other would work, since Mu's got the swamp type to trigger Lance. That's two 6-move characters, a solid area attacker, a stunbot, and then somebody to do whatever else you want/be a required character.

edit: actually... swap out Mu. Instead, take Alfred and Lily, Lily with the set pieces. Lily would then trigger Jenny, Lance, and Persona. Alfred's 100% lockdown on third skill and Persona's lockdown first skill enable Lily's 2 round 100% stun, Lily enables Persona, Jenny, and Lance's passives. Persona can swap Lance into place at the same time negating Lance's self-immobilize. There's a lot of potential synergy there.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 24, 2016

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

:frogsiren: Save your blue genes from this month until they add the gene-selector in March. :frogsiren:

Also, don't get your hopes up for the Wild Chaser set. I have a half-dozen rings, a couple capes, and 0 bows of it. The coupon collector problem sucks.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

I think something broke. Maybe.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Okay, so I'm getting to the point that I've got too many characters to know what to do with. My mains are Dorothy, Alfred, Carrot, Mu, and Jack. All 4 star. Healer-wise, do I focus on Mas? Shu-Shu? Gillan?

Sraka seems to be losing steam fast, not sure about Kai. Either of them worth 4-starring, our focus on someone else?

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

overseer07 posted:

Okay, so I'm getting to the point that I've got too many characters to know what to do with. My mains are Dorothy, Alfred, Carrot, Mu, and Jack. All 4 star. Healer-wise, do I focus on Mas? Shu-Shu? Gillan?

Sraka seems to be losing steam fast, not sure about Kai. Either of them worth 4-starring, our focus on someone else?

Of the healers, level Gillan. His disarm is extremely useful in Tower of Dawn and against any boss without disarm-immunity.

Sraka is garbage. Kai is nothing special anymore--you already have Alfred and Jack, so I wouldn't bother with him. Get Jack, Deb (if that's who you mean by Dorothy), and Carrot (or Mu) to 5* before you start focusing on bench-warmers. 5* equipment is an enormous jump in power.

van fem fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Gracias!

• Locked thread