Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Deliciouscesium posted:

Well, so much for gold reserves. It takes about 240 million to max upgrade all the ship parts for unknown paradise.

Yep. Best course is to upgrade everything a little bit and then specialize as you slowly max everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
How often does crystal soul gear come back around? Also, what do people think of Amora?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Deliciouscesium posted:

Well, so much for gold reserves. It takes about 240 million to max upgrade all the ship parts for unknown paradise.

I have 493 million gold, though I'm not sure how. I haven't been playing much lately, just burning through all my energy afk a couple of times a day and buying all the gold in the event stores.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I had ~165 million gold before that alchemy event a couple weeks ago, time to dust off the Dolores/Camelia grind team.

My 3 Star runes are kinda poo poo so I'm tempted to buy that 4 star package in the shop, but I don't want to go into the Maple Story event low on crystals.

SHAQ4PREZ fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 21, 2017

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

I had ~165 million gold before that alchemy event a couple weeks ago, time to dust off the Dolores/Camelia grind team.

My 3 Star runes are kinda poo poo so I'm tempted to buy that 4 star package in the shop, but I don't want to go into the Maple Story event low on crystals.

The 4 star rune packages are absolute garbage. You're better off just taking potluck from the battle arena freebies each week and waiting to spend scales from unknown paradise on 4 star runes. The whales in fwtr bought all ten, that's twelve thousand crystals, and were lucky to get a single actually good rune out of it.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
Has there been a verdict yet on Amora, and is it worthwhile to pick up her set equipment or save the crystals for the MapleStory events?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Deliciouscesium posted:

Has there been a verdict yet on Amora, and is it worthwhile to pick up her set equipment or save the crystals for the MapleStory events?

Her equipment is the now standard paid gear. I don't think Amora's quite good enough to take as a constant, but she is -extremely- good for many PVE purposes, and may also be pretty crazy in PVP, via immobilizing people on top of her hilariously powerful trap squares.

As far as tower of dawn goes, it's another character where Hell level enemies are going to be either immune to her bullshit or she's going to make levels a great deal easier, because her passive hits for 302,000 defense ignoring damage if the target has a Fear of the Sea debuff. On top of its already stellar 196% damage.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Who is Amora?

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
New scissor hero from Unknown Paradise.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Hey Ninja,

When comparing red attack runes, how much is 1% boss damage worth vs attack? Assuming all other mods are irrelevant and you stay crit capped with either . For example, I'm comparing two red runes: one with 5% boss damage and another with flat +794 attack and +3.7% attack. Which would be better for GR?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

That's a hard question because it has to take into account the quality of your other mods. I would just run a quick practice and watch the ticks.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

For people guild raiding, enjoy our christmas gift to raiders, https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yXjtB

Good luck with doing some of these strats, they are -really loving hard-

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I'm super grateful and look forward to putting into practice as many as I possibly can.

But man, that's a whole lot of "MUST KILL THE BOSS EVERY TURN" :smith:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Vincent Valentine posted:

I'm super grateful and look forward to putting into practice as many as I possibly can.

But man, that's a whole lot of "MUST KILL THE BOSS EVERY TURN" :smith:

Look closer. Some of those strats are "Must kill the boss twice every turn."

at the start of 2017, the hot new tech was "If we kill the boss every 4 turns, we never have to deal with the third attack."

By june, the hot new tech was "If we kill the boss every turn, we never have to deal with the second attack, either!"

The current wave of strats is "If we kill the boss twice every turn, the second time with terrain, we never have to deal with anything the boss does except exploding"

I was not even remotely joking when I said previously that even if we released all our current strats, most guilds couldn't use them.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
On the topic of runes again, how do you decide whether a rune is worth enhancing (to look at its properties)?

For my own sanity (and gold reserve), I've been selling 1* and 2* runes right off the bat and not bothering enhancing them even if they have pink ??? mods. HP and Def 3* runes are also auto-sold unless they have a slot 4 pink mod. 3* attack runes are always enhanced to +12 to see if they have any interesting mods even if all four of them are grey. Anything I should be doing differently?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think terrain mods can only appear on a 3* right-side rune slot 4 pink mod? What about % crit damage mod? I've never seen one.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

How many crystals should I be saving for the Maplestory reboot? I wasn't around for the last one and would like to pick up the crystal heroes + useful SG. But I'd also like to gamble on some of the set gears this week.

van fem fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2017

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Secx posted:

On the topic of runes again, how do you decide whether a rune is worth enhancing (to look at its properties)?

For my own sanity (and gold reserve), I've been selling 1* and 2* runes right off the bat and not bothering enhancing them even if they have pink ??? mods. HP and Def 3* runes are also auto-sold unless they have a slot 4 pink mod. 3* attack runes are always enhanced to +12 to see if they have any interesting mods even if all four of them are grey. Anything I should be doing differently?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think terrain mods can only appear on a 3* right-side rune slot 4 pink mod? What about % crit damage mod? I've never seen one.

I have a middle rune with pink percent crit damage, it can appear anywhere. All the locked traits are fourth slot only and unique to runes, but of those, only terrains are locked to pink.

I sell anything less than three star, and any three star without at least a pink or two orange. For high end strats, defense runes are good, so I don't pitch those by default, but hp I do.

van fem posted:

How many crystals should I be saving for the Maplestory reboot? I'd like to gamble on some of the set gears this week.

A bunch, it's like a thousand crystals to unlock eunwol and probably pink bean, p plus a bunch for their paid soul gear, which are pretty amazing.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 31, 2017

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SO, Maple Story awakens are up!

Let's start with the old worst in show, Mercedes, who went from Zero to Hero.

Her basic (and coop/counter) is now 4 square range in any straight/diagonal line.
Her second and third attacks gained a fantastic targeting range of a 7x7 square on her, with the 2 being a 3x3 box and the 3 being the giant Jenny cone.

Her passsive is now active from the start of battle, and turns off when she finishes a turn without moving, so it's not great for raid, but otherwise is goddamn fantastic, and gives her +2 move and 4400 attack, and if you pick up her crystal soul gear, the yeti adds another 2 move and 1400 attack, for a pretty loving absurd total of 9 movement before gear and a bonus 5600 Attack. She is absolutely going to be a PVE powerhouse, thanks to being an attack type with AOE hero range and areas. Only time will tell if she'll be worth it in BOH, but she -definitely- has the potential.

Evan was already goddamn fantastic after his previous rebalance in season 1, with his 1 and 3 having the fantastic 7x7 targeting zone, but his Mu-set passive was largely disappointing. That's been replaced with a charge buff whenever he attacks, with charge stacks giving him more attack and defense than he got previously from maxing out on kills, AND contrary to what it says on the box, the bonus to Dragon Dive seems to be increasing the area of effect by 1, making it the same absurd 5x5 square that Chenny's boosted 3 is.

Phantom, the neglected middle child, was okay for some purposes, and was part of the first successful climbs of the Hell tower, but otherwise he was not great. His first attack is now a rock solid 3 square line including diagonals, hitting all 3, his third skill now inflicts the fantastic Lethal Wound in a large area, and his garbage passive was upgraded so that in addition to bonus attack and HP for having copied buffs, he also passively copies 2 buffs off anybody within 2 tiles at the start of his turn. Both of his copy chances (2 and passive) are 80%, and his paid soul gear is now 100% worth it, since each of them boost those to 100% AND add an additional copied skill.

Technically I don't have -all- the information on the Pink Bean, but holy poo poo, even what we can see so far has potential.

His 1 is a nice strong Krut-area melee attack that gives the little bastard +10% final skill power for 2 turns. I should not have to tell people how good this is, but just in case, % Final Skill Power is goddamn fantastic, when you can get it, because it's a separate multiplier, and the path to power is stacking multipliers.

His 2 is a giant area dash attack, 4 targeting in a straight line, with minimum area of 3x5 along that line. It might extend further, but I wouldn't bet on it. This not only gives him +2 movement for 2 turns, but if his HP is high, it gains another 22% final skill power (see note on 1)

His 3 is a 2 target area cone with an 80% chance of inflicting Burn, which we all known and love from such wonderful places as Hongyeom and Sol's awaken skills, except this time it's on a spammable skill and the burn is for 48% of the bean's attack. The bean is -attack type-.

As if that weren't enough, on targets that are already burning, it has a 100% chance of nerfing their healing, though it doesn't say by how much.

And now his possibly broken as gently caress passive. First off, he gets 5% of max HP -> as attack, to a max of 10k. If he has 5 or higher movement, he gets 28% Resistance. This will stack with other sources, so when he gets Valkyrie soul gear, another 5%, and Elemental Knight another 40, making him 73% no-sell. And now, the possibly broken part, for various great and terrible purposes: If the pattern holds on this, Pink Bean cannot receive more than 500 damage on its own turn, once you max out that passive. It'll take testing, but this could basically be the death of ghost levels, of reflect knights, and just generally anything dedicated to making you reluctant to blow the everliving poo poo out of enemies, including things like counterattacks in BOH, and that's assuming the text is correct, which we cannot take as a given. I'll report in with some testing tomorrow once I have the little fucker, but goddamn, if it works the way I hope, it will make Hell Tower so much easier.

tl;dr version: Mercedes: Good now. Phantom: Good now. Evan: Fantastic now. Pink Bean: Probably amazing. Paid maple story soul gear: All great.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Mercedes might not be that good. Her passive goes away if you spend a turn not moving and never comes back. This is similar to Lightning Guardian set where you must keep moving every turn.

edit: Her awakening skill is fantastic though because it deals 25% max HP damage on a 1 turn cool down.

Somefool fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 4, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Either nexon is bad at programming or pink bean's passive is bad. Some testing this morning shows it doesn't work on reflect damage, which was its #1 chance to be great. If it's only against counterattacks, it's basically a nonentity. It does seem to stop Camilla damage, which is a small blessing, and if pink bean does literally nothing but reduce the amount of Camilla cancer in BOH it'll be worthwhile.

Edit: Further testing shows that it doesn't work on terrain or dots, but does work on bomb explosions, even chain reactions, with each wave of the reaction doing 500 damage, so the tod hell bomb reaction levels are trivialized, but the reflect knights are still a giant pain.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I must be blind. I went through the set shop and I didn't see the Maplestory soul gear for sale. I did see a package for Pink Bean genes for 1990 red gems. Is that the only way to pick him up?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

I must be blind. I went through the set shop and I didn't see the Maplestory soul gear for sale. I did see a package for Pink Bean genes for 1990 red gems. Is that the only way to pick him up?

Soul gear won't be up for another week or two, and pink bean is like eunwol, package only.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
In terms of the combat power, I don't understand how the 4 star runes are being calculated. I'm literally looking at these two maxed out Deep-Sea runes:

1. 4-star Attack: 3886
Bonus 1: +204 Counter rate (blue)
Bonus 2: +10.2% Dodge (blue)
Bonus 3: +6.9% Attack (orange)
Bonus 4: +239 Dodge (blue)

2. 3-star Attack: 3109
Bonus 1: -605 Damage Taken (blue)
Bonus 2: +37 MP (orange)
Bonus 3: +4.5% Attack (blue)
Bonus 4: +882 Attack (green)

I know CP isn't the best reference to assess how strong someone is. However, the game claims the 3 star rune has a higher CP by 1285. I can see an argument for minor differences based on other game mechanics that could put it over by a small margin, but not to the level of equipping a better 3-slot equipment set.

On a separate note, are there recommendations on team building/strategies for the unknown paradise levels?

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Deliciouscesium posted:

On a separate note, are there recommendations on team building/strategies for the unknown paradise levels?

I'm going to test it this week, but my understanding from Discord chatter is to Taunt cheese until the last day, i.e. Deimos taunts from out of range of beam, stays out of range of beam, boss never attacks. Rest of team cleans up adds while (if possible) being in coop range of the boss. Make sure not to put up too many debuffs or boss will wipe debuffs at the start of turn.

On the last day, you stick Heuksa in one of the tiles near the boss (but out of beam range) and your other attack debuffer in the opposite tile doing the same.

The attack debuffers will be needed on other days after they patch out the taunt shenanigans.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I snagged Mercedes and Evan's soul gears. I will only have enough by the last day to get 1 more SG. Pink Bean or Phantom?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

I snagged Mercedes and Evan's soul gears. I will only have enough by the last day to get 1 more SG. Pink Bean or Phantom?

Hard choice, but I think Pink Bean's is the more powerful. The +Range/Area on his 3 is really -really- amazing. I would have taken Phantom over Mercedes, tbh, Phantom's is guaranteed copy and +1 copy on his 2 AND his passive.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

All right, it's time for me to finally ask but how alive is the other goon guild? I think it's finally gotten to the point where it's time to merge both guilds because I don't think there's enough goons interested in this game still.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Somefool posted:

All right, it's time for me to finally ask but how alive is the other goon guild? I think it's finally gotten to the point where it's time to merge both guilds because I don't think there's enough goons interested in this game still.

Also, if anybody has the will and the gear, we may have a slot in fwtreddit.

I checked, and it looks like we will have one slot open, or if y'all want to just straight be a subguild, we can hook you up with a channel on the discord and show you the way to real ultimate power.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 21, 2018

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Man, I hate the current double kill meta. Why can't we just hit the boss as hard as possible right from the start.

Why do I have to tune my gear and runes so that a specific characters gets the kill on turns 1, 2, 3 for the setup.

Truth is I hate it because I'm soooooo close, but can't get it. My slot 3 is missing a little oompf for the turn 5 kill today.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Secx posted:

Man, I hate the current double kill meta. Why can't we just hit the boss as hard as possible right from the start.

Why do I have to tune my gear and runes so that a specific characters gets the kill on turns 1, 2, 3 for the setup.

Truth is I hate it because I'm soooooo close, but can't get it. My slot 3 is missing a little oompf for the turn 5 kill today.

Chances are one of our mercs could push you over the edge. How's your friday, and are you interested in coming up to the top?

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Somefool posted:

Applied to SwdofLowtax (ign: outofbeer).

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Talk about crazy luck.

I pulled a random MOS piece from a VIP ticket late last night while farming Nephtys dungeons for mats to make mod pots. I also had a random single MOS piece from TOD or alchemy lying around forever. Used the 8 day login set selection piece to complete the set.

Six hours of tuning and practice later, I got my first DK :toot: Less than an hour to get the initial setup working and five hours to tune my frontend DPS so that I could go 50 turns. Still have to guild shell the last two turns, but I'll take it.

That should also help my Monday DK since I was so close before.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I just got a reward to pick a 5 star set. I'm not that far into the game (3-3).

e: applied to Swdoflowtax. Same as my SA name.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 4, 2018

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I've got a mystery I'm trying to solve, if anyone has any insight.

For months, I've been running a particular Thursday raid strat involving Chury tanking, while a bunch of long range heroes DPS from out of the boss's range, most of them with cooperation. Each week, I've been making sure to do SOMETHING to increment the DPS of my team, while leaving Chury alone, and my score has been steadily improving bit by bit. I have the formation saved, so I know I'm not making any mistakes there.

Suddenly, last week, the entire formation breaks when Chury starts dying early. I have no idea why. I'm not TOUCHING Chury's gear, and he's been surviving... nay, THRIVING 'till turn 50 every week for MONTHS. I didn't even have to combat support every round, if I felt like paying attention instead of leaving it to idle, I could add in some cannon fire into the mix. Now? Chury dies early... and not just a little early-- TURN 9.

I'm absolutely and utterly befuddled as to what could have happened. Only changes were to increase DPS for my ranged units.

Now, I've found a new formation that's working for me again, and I've actually dropped Chury as my tank (using Valentine, of all things, as the tank now! Soon I hope to swap to Amora once I actually buy her genes...) but I'd really like to know WTF happened.

Any ideas?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

I've got a mystery I'm trying to solve, if anyone has any insight.

For months, I've been running a particular Thursday raid strat involving Chury tanking, while a bunch of long range heroes DPS from out of the boss's range, most of them with cooperation. Each week, I've been making sure to do SOMETHING to increment the DPS of my team, while leaving Chury alone, and my score has been steadily improving bit by bit. I have the formation saved, so I know I'm not making any mistakes there.

Suddenly, last week, the entire formation breaks when Chury starts dying early. I have no idea why. I'm not TOUCHING Chury's gear, and he's been surviving... nay, THRIVING 'till turn 50 every week for MONTHS. I didn't even have to combat support every round, if I felt like paying attention instead of leaving it to idle, I could add in some cannon fire into the mix. Now? Chury dies early... and not just a little early-- TURN 9.

I'm absolutely and utterly befuddled as to what could have happened. Only changes were to increase DPS for my ranged units.

Now, I've found a new formation that's working for me again, and I've actually dropped Chury as my tank (using Valentine, of all things, as the tank now! Soon I hope to swap to Amora once I actually buy her genes...) but I'd really like to know WTF happened.

Any ideas?

Turn 9 early almost invariably means you rolled dot resist off a piece of gear and forgot to put it back.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Major rebalance incoming! If Pink Bean and Cam turned you off the game, you may want to consider giving it another shot, they’re being nerfed pretty hard. Cam does less blood damage, Pink Bean does less burn damage, but more importantly, damage reduction now applied to burn!

PB still has a very high attack, so should still be useful, just less godlike / broken. Cam will probably still stay on my team to help mop up revives, but is less likely to kill non-PB teams outright.

And a bunch of B-listers and C-listers are getting some decent buffs, so we might see an entirely new meta show up.

Looks pretty good on paper.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Looking forward to the hero rebalancing and the BOH meta.

I wish they'd revamp GR though.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Secx posted:

I wish they'd revamp GR though.

First time they tried revamping GR, they destroyed it. Granted, the second time, they got the Thursday and Saturday revamped maps right. Those were good.

What I really want is a BoH-like mode for guild vs guild combat. Defense made up of guild mercs only (set by guild leader), offense your team plus a guild merc, non-reusable that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

First time they tried revamping GR, they destroyed it. Granted, the second time, they got the Thursday and Saturday revamped maps right. Those were good.

What I really want is a BoH-like mode for guild vs guild combat. Defense made up of guild mercs only (set by guild leader), offense your team plus a guild merc, non-reusable that day.

I wouldn't mind a revamp at all, at this point. Preferably with a nerf that ends double kill meta forever. Just keep the maps more like the Saturday and less like the garbage they tried the first time. Almost every map is well beyond where we ever thought we'd be, even Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Locked thread