Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which 2 install?
windows 7
windows 8.1
windows 10
steam OS
View Results

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i bought a computer from a guy for pretty cheap and have been fixing 'er up for a while. anyway i finally bought a monitor and it's decent enough to play some games.

it has windows 7 on it, but it's the same install as when i got it. as in the guy used it and i haven't reformatted. i've been intentionally not doing anything personal on it in case there's a key logger, etc.

so what is the best PC operating system to use? windows 7? or windows 8.1? or even windows 10? steamOS?

keep in mind i'm really cautious about the NSA and surveillance, data-mining etc, and i've heard the terms of service for windows 10 are really problematic.

windows 8.1 almost seems like a happy middle, i get flat design and emoji support but no big brother. but this computer has a windows 7 product key on it, so i guess i'd have to pay for 8.1? (rofl)

please advise

oops sorry for no checkbox poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
windows 8.1 is pure garbage, if you don't want 10 on ~philosophical grounds~ you might as well install arch linux on it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

stop being a pussy, wipe the drive and install win10

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ban

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
gas, ban

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

windows 8.1 is pure garbage, if you don't want 10 on ~philosophical grounds~ you might as well install arch linux on it

i just don't want them peeping my bones

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

not using software that's open source is philosophical

not wanting and OS cause it has ads and data mines is just having some sense and self respect

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its free software op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is that you in the avatar pleasure kevin?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
why not ask the gents in SH/SC? This thread is more suited for there. since it's here tho: STFU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Do not unironically use Windows 8.x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Millstone posted:

Do not unironically use Windows 8.x

i use windows ironically, 'cos its better than unironically using a garbage os

• Locked thread