Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!
4 coders (+ external coders).

2 engine/low level coders (one of whom is working on animations, one of whom I don't know what they're working on, probably low level optimisation). They have 2 coders working on features. They have 2 artists, one of whom is also a coder, and a writer full time. Additionally, they've hired an outside company to work on multiplayer, whilst the core team continue working on single player. Finally, they have various people brought on on contract for tasks as well.

If you're finding the game easy, make sure you're playing on hardcore mode, on a recent map. Hardcore mode is really how the devs want you to play. Also, yes, sandbox is a good place to go. Additionally, give the A Really CD DA challenge a try if you're up for a tough time.

Finally, it's an early access game. Final game balancing / tweaks aren't in yet. Here's the recent build changes. For full disclosure, I do work for The Indie Stone periodically, that was on the original PZ thread I helped NettleSoup start.
http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/08/buildstatus/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The game has been in early access for years.

At this point the early access argument just does not cut it anymore, especially when we are talking about an indie survival zombie game, I'm sorry.

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

Ultra complex game. Tiny team.

If you want it to go faster, give it Day-Z's money. Oh wait, that's been in development just a little shorter, and it's not finished, and it's got AAA funding?

These things. They take time. Especially with small indie teams. Who have to pay 2 support staff just to keep people from complaining constantly about game bugs, in an *alpha*.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I seriously think it might be better if they weren't so wedded to their world map and could introduce some randomness into locations. A grid system with different tiles dropped in for locations or something like board games do it. After playing a couple of times you know your way around and the exploration aspect is pretty much gone. Every game is pretty much the same, sure item locations change, but not much.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 13, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

kirrus posted:

4 coders (+ external coders).

2 engine/low level coders (one of whom is working on animations, one of whom I don't know what they're working on, probably low level optimisation). They have 2 coders working on features. They have 2 artists, one of whom is also a coder, and a writer full time. Additionally, they've hired an outside company to work on multiplayer, whilst the core team continue working on single player. Finally, they have various people brought on on contract for tasks as well.

Finally, it's an early access game. Final game balancing / tweaks aren't in yet. Here's the recent build changes. For full disclosure, I do work for The Indie Stone periodically, that was on the original PZ thread I helped NettleSoup start.
http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/08/buildstatus/

Are those full time coders. The site makes it seems there's only one fulltime and a bunch of modders and fans taking on to help out with code, I doubt they're going full sprint at it.

Yes it's early access, it's been early access for what now? half a decade?

Development has been trailing along and it's probably due to the fractured/amateur nature of the code development team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Are those full time coders. The site makes it seems there's only one fulltime and a bunch of modders and fans taking on to help out with code, I doubt they're going full sprint at it.

Yes it's early access, it's been early access for what now? half a decade?

Development has been trailing along and it's probably due to the fractured/amateur nature of the code development team.

Everyone I listed is fulltime. 4 years, started in 2011. Developers previously worked AAA. Seriously, they bit off a massive featureset, and now they're working hard on delivering. They're also refusing to hire more staff, overextending their budget, ensuring the game doesn't get finished.

• Locked thread