Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deeters posted:

We have the old GPM/YouTube bundle, so I don't think subscriptions are the problem. It's specifically a ~900 song playlist, and she was able to play it on GPM (set to downloaded only) just fine. It was also giving us trouble just playing over WiFi at home today, so I guess I just need to play with the settings more.

Haha I didn't know this until reading Amadeo complaining about it but you can't download uploaded music unless you pay.

YouTube Music is such trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
E: Found a more suitable thread, I think.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Welp, the Dark Sky app just informed me that it will be shut down on August 1st. God gently caress apple and gently caress dark sky for selling out to them.

E: holy fukken ell oh ell people have been absolutely hammering them with 1 star reviews on the play store. They are down to 1.7 now :hmbol:
drat that's beautiful, and I wish I could believe it might have an effect. Still a good laugh anyway.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 3, 2020

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Nah, can’t blame em for getting paid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Welp, the Dark Sky app just informed me that it will be shut down on August 1st. God gently caress apple and gently caress dark sky for selling out to them.

E: holy fukken ell oh ell people have been absolutely hammering them with 1 star reviews on the play store. They are down to 1.7 now :hmbol:
drat that's beautiful, and I wish I could believe it might have an effect. Still a good laugh anyway.

drat they're sure owned! They might have to take down their app if it keeps reviewing poorly! Oh wait.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Is there any consensus on "Best Weather App"? I've been using DarkSky but it's being axed at the end of the month.

I mostly like it; my only real complaint was that it was too difficult to view Humidity information quickly.

I've been using Today Weather, it's pretty and works great:

Has a lot of data sources depending on where you are:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks for this, I just installed and so far I'm happy (after throwing surveybucks at it).

Does have Dark Sky available as a data source too, I guess until the API dies next year. (If I remember right).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been using Today Weather with Dark Sky as a source, but it almost never agrees with Google/weather.com. These are the readings from the various sources in Today Weather right now.

That's an 18 degree range! Google/weather.com are saying 74 degrees and that feels most accurate based on my calibrated "stepping outside" test.

This is extreme because a storm just rolled through and there was a rapid temperature change, but Dark Sky and weather.com have been disagreeing by several degrees for the past few months.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I use NWS NOW for weather. Free, no ads. No longer on Google play but is on Amazon and their website.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

docbeard posted:

Thanks for this, I just installed and so far I'm happy (after throwing surveybucks at it).

Does have Dark Sky available as a data source too, I guess until the API dies next year. (If I remember right).

Pretty sure they moved that timetable up to Aug 1 - which is why people are scrambling a bit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think it's the app being removed on August 1st and the API shutting down next year.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

I think it's the app being removed on August 1st and the API shutting down next year.

You are correct i did some more searching. I was mistaken!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uthor posted:

That's an 18 degree range! Google/weather.com are saying 74 degrees and that feels most accurate based on my calibrated "stepping outside" test.

This is extreme because a storm just rolled through and there was a rapid temperature change, but Dark Sky and weather.com have been disagreeing by several degrees for the past few months.

The current temps are based on whatever weather station is being polled and correlated to your given location in the app along with a margin of error based on how often that data is polled. So, it's possible the weather station that Dark Sky is polling for your location has consistently been on the tail end of the fronts you've been encountering in the past few weeks or hovering right on the line of intersecting weather patterns that would give the large temp gradient. It could even been some sort of location fuckup as well or a malfunction in the weather station that's delivering data to your location.

Dark Sky says that they update their next hour forecast every 5 minutes so that presumably would contain the current temp. So, it may take as long as 5 minutes to get the dropped temp even if your weather station was in the back yard.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Someone earlier had mentioned that transfers from Google Play Music to Youtube Music were on hold. I just finally got my invite to transfer everything, so I guess that has been resumed. Everyone still waiting will hopefully be getting theirs soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Someone earlier had mentioned that transfers from Google Play Music to Youtube Music were on hold. I just finally got my invite to transfer everything, so I guess that has been resumed. Everyone still waiting will hopefully be getting theirs soon.

It was never actually paused as they never stopped letting people transfer, I transferred mine last month. They just slowed down uploading for some people, not entirely stop uploading for anyone or stop letting other users transfer.

Not really sure why they called it a "delay".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a new uploader from your PC or something?

(The GPM uploader on Windows is trash.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

Is there a new uploader from your PC or something?

(The GPM uploader on Windows is trash.)

The only uploader is you drag and drop your music into music.youtube.com there's no standalone uploader or anything like with GPM.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there a way to remove the giant picture of clouds? What a waste of real estate 👀 otherwise I like it

Wait also why is it a full screen app what the hell. Lol

Edit: and it doesn't seem to be able to show the temp in the notification bar at the top? App looked good at first but the more I use it since installing it the more confused I get.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 10, 2020

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Edit: and it doesn't seem to be able to show the temp in the notification bar at the top? App looked good at first but the more I use it since installing it the more confused I get.

You can turn the persistent notification on in settings, under "Notification".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, I did not notice the gear icon hidden away behind the side menu

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 10, 2020

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Ah, I did not notice the gear icon hidden away behind the side menu

Yeah, that's not a great bit of UI design.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

Has a lot of data sources depending on where you are:

I have been trying out Shadow Weather, and it seems pretty solid...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

docbeard posted:

Yeah, that's not a great bit of UI design.

I've had the app for probably close to a year, went to change a setting I knew was there, and still had to look twice to find it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got an email inviting me to migrate to YouTube Music. Is it actually true that listening to music with the screen off needs a monthly fee???

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/6313552?hl=en&ref_topic=6277001

:psyduck:

(they say you can play uploaded music in the background for free)

Edit: wow, the app pauses to load my artist list every dozen or so artists, so it's taking forever to scroll to the end of the alphabet.

And clicking on the artist takes you to a list of tracks instead of a list of albums. At least the tracks are sorted by album.

This is supposed to be better?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 11, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I got an email inviting me to migrate to YouTube Music. Is it actually true that listening to music with the screen off needs a monthly fee???

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/6313552?hl=en&ref_topic=6277001

:psyduck:

(they say you can play uploaded music in the background for free)

Edit: wow, the app pauses to load my artist list every dozen or so artists, so it's taking forever to scroll to the end of the alphabet.

And clicking on the artist takes you to a list of tracks instead of a list of albums. At least the tracks are sorted by album.

This is supposed to be better?

I don't know that it's supposed to be better. It's really bad and I think it's intentional.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My favorite part is how it doesn't use the Album Artist tag at all, so if you have any compilation albums, gently caress you I guess. Enjoy an album showing up under 20 different artists.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My favorite part is how it doesn't use the Album Artist tag at all, so if you have any compilation albums, gently caress you I guess. Enjoy an album showing up under 20 different artists.

This isn't true, I've got plenty uploaded and as long as you have the same album artist and album name it works

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's okay, I'm using enough weird players where I never know if that tag is respected, so I came up with a naming scheme that doesn't use it. My track titles are a bit overlong, but it works.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Reading this thread makes me feel like a time traveller from the future and it's still the year 2000 and Spotify doesn't exist and people still own actual files with music inside them instead of just streaming everywhere and seriously?!?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Excuse me for not wanting to pay a monthly fee to access a music library that I've been building for over 25 years and rather giving that money directly to artists through services like Bandcamp. :corsair:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also Spotify's interface sucks since you can't shuffle more than ~15-20 of an artist's songs.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Reading this thread makes me feel like a time traveller from the future and it's still the year 2000 and Spotify doesn't exist and people still own actual files with music inside them instead of just streaming everywhere and seriously?!?

Believe it or not but spotify doesn't have all music on there

Crazy I know !?!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

I searched around because this was a big thing back when it happened on iOS years ago.

quote:

Youtube has a different license than spotify. Where spotify pays the original artist x amount of money for every play of their song, youtube doesn't, and only the uploader makes ad revenue. So the music industry says to youtube: so it's cool that you're playing our music, but we're worried people are gonna use mobile apps as a kind of MP3 player, so don't let them do that, we need them to actually buy the songs.

quote:

For the same reason that they stopped fully buffering, to save bandwidth. They want to make sure that you are actually watching the videos and not wasting their bandwidth.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2p2qtx/eli5_why_cant_the_youtube_app_keep_streaming_in/

Basically blame the music industry bitching about music players and bandwidth to make sure you're watching videos (and the ads, probably).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Interesting!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Since I got plexamp my mp3 library has exploded back to pre-spotify levels. I'd bin Spotify if plexamp played through our kitchen Google home speaker.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

hooah posted:

Also Spotify's interface sucks since you can't shuffle more than ~15-20 of an artist's songs.

Spotify's podcasts don't have a new episode notification, which is wonky.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Chubby Henparty posted:

Since I got plexamp my mp3 library has exploded back to pre-spotify levels. I'd bin Spotify if plexamp played through our kitchen Google home speaker.

According to the Plex Forums, it's coming.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Can I set up an old phone (OG Pixel) to record video indefinitely? At least six hours, connected to a powerbank. Low-res is fine and it would only have to record to its internal memory.

I only need it for a couple days, nothing long-term, which is why I'd very much like to avoid having to buy a proper camera.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

seravid posted:

Can I set up an old phone (OG Pixel) to record video indefinitely? At least six hours, connected to a powerbank. Low-res is fine and it would only have to record to its internal memory.

I only need it for a couple days, nothing long-term, which is why I'd very much like to avoid having to buy a proper camera.

I've used this app for that in the past:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en_US

It's been a couple of years so I can go by the mostly positive ratings that indicate it hasn't become garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It still boggles my mind that Google didn't just reskin Play Music to be red/black and change its name. Play Music may not have been the best player, but it worked well enough. Why build an entirely new app from the ground up that barely has the features of the existing app even after years of development, plus confuse your customers with this "transfer" move poo poo?

I know the answer is "because Google", but still.