Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Good advice Lastinline, and thanks for saving me the install hooah. The weather.gov graph is useful, but looks like it's the same thing you get in the "official" NOAA weather app (also no widget though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lawson posted:

Good advice Lastinline, and thanks for saving me the install hooah. The weather.gov graph is useful, but looks like it's the same thing you get in the "official" NOAA weather app (also no widget though).

I don't know if this will help you, but here's a site that will let you see which API has been most accurate historically for your area. For me, that was Weather.com which is the same one Google uses for the weather frog. After that the only thing that mattered was finding something with my pet feature, which is the rain alerts though for you it sounds like the widget with a view you like.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is anyone else having an issue where both Chrome and Android WebView have a pending update, but refuse to actually update

Since they're related it seems like a circular dependency or something where each won't update until the other does

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Have you tried just uninstalling one, updating the other, and then reinstalling?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nope, I tried uninstalling the updates (can't uninstall then completely since they're system apps) and they still won't update so now I'm stuck with the old versions in the system partition

google'd again

e: clearing the play stores data fixed it

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 4, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just got a Drive notification saying a random Gmail account had tagged me in some cyrillic gibberish. I'm guessing not good. Anyone else get it?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Just got a Drive notification saying a random Gmail account had tagged me in some cyrillic gibberish. I'm guessing not good. Anyone else get it?

Got a couple over the last few days, for a Google Slides doc. Tapped on the Drive notification by accident and got a permissions request for contacts access, so I'm sure its perfectly legitimate and safe!

Reported it to Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

That's usually a phishing attack. You're generally okay so long as you have 2FA turned on and don't click anything and don't download anything.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if this will help you, but here's a site that will let you see which API has been most accurate historically for your area. For me, that was Weather.com which is the same one Google uses for the weather frog. After that the only thing that mattered was finding something with my pet feature, which is the rain alerts though for you it sounds like the widget with a view you like.

Good resource, thanks. Useful for when the api finally dies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
jfc how is yt music this loving bad? every God drat day I find some awful thing it does for no reason. today's? if you slap that shuffle option on a large playlist it will only plan out like 50 tracks or whatever. what happens when you reach the end despite the playlist being much larger? get hosed, that's what. you have to back out and hit shuffle again. why?

christ

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had the opportunity to use Android Auto for the first time in months. Was playing songs in Google Play Music. My playlist ran out. I asked Google to play "an album from my library" like I always did. Google said it's going to play that album from YouTube Music, exited out of Google Play Music, and then threw up an error that I can't listen to YouTube Music through Android Auto because I don't have a subscription.

How is this a good user outcome???

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I had the opportunity to use Android Auto for the first time in months. Was playing songs in Google Play Music. My playlist ran out. I asked Google to play "an album from my library" like I always did. Google said it's going to play that album from YouTube Music, exited out of Google Play Music, and then threw up an error that I can't listen to YouTube Music through Android Auto because I don't have a subscription.

How is this a good user outcome???

While I thought I'd read that this was because Assistant had automatically switched GPM defaults to YTM, it turns out I had it backward: actually people can't get Assistant to default to YTM.

I guess I'd ask if you still have GPM as your default music provider in Assistant settings since any command for music you issue without specifying a service will of course launch that service but I'm guessing with as bad as this transition has been going that you have GPM as the default.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Honestly, no idea. I don't normally use Assistant for playing music and I don't have AA in my car (I was driving my mom's at the time).

Edit: that was it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 12, 2020

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

I must be doing something differently but I've been okay with the transition to YTM. In my car (older Prius) it works better with the Bluetooth than Spotify, and I'm digging the recommendations and playlists it's giving me.

Only major downfall is that I wish it... separated more from YouTube? Just because I watched a bunch of clips from "RuPaul's Drag Race" does not mean I need to be recommended every drag queen's cover song.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

I must be doing something differently but I've been okay with the transition to YTM. In my car (older Prius) it works better with the Bluetooth than Spotify, and I'm digging the recommendations and playlists it's giving me.

Only major downfall is that I wish it... separated more from YouTube? Just because I watched a bunch of clips from "RuPaul's Drag Race" does not mean I need to be recommended every drag queen's cover song.

It's examples such as this that give me hope that the apocalypse will not result from some self-aware AI, as it will be actively trying to seek out and destroy Alderaan instead of us.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This is the future conservatives warned us about.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I've used Andromeda / Substratum on an older phone in the past to force night mode on otherwise unwilling apps.

With this stock Pixel4, I'm finding the Developer Options ability to Force-Override Dark mode to be extremely adequate for darkening things with no headache, aside from having to toggle it back on after any phone reboot or system update.

Just thought I'd share that, and ask whether there's any dead-simple equivalent for actual black backgrounds rather than dark. Are theming apps any better on android 10 and 11? I remember having to postpone app updates on 8 and 9 until the theme would include to account for changes.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 14, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's official, Hangouts is being transitioned to Chat in the first half of next year.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/10/15/google-shares-updates-on-future-of-hangouts/

quote:

The biggest bit of news that Google shared today involves Google Hangouts and Google Chat. As you likely know, Chat is the future of Hangouts and Google expects to begin opening up Google Chat to everyone in the first half of 2021. That’s a pretty broad time frame, but we are talking about messaging and an app (Hangouts) that has been in use for over 7 years.
Google will make Chat available for free to everyone (it’s currently exclusive to Workspace users), including the integrated experience within Gmail that Workspace users just picked up. Google will also migrate all of your conversations over to Chat from Hangouts, along with contacts and saved history. Once they finalize all of those specifics, they plan to share more.
To recap there, Google Chat will be available to you during the first half of next year, assuming you are still using Hangouts. Google will do a bunch of behind-the-scenes work to get you migrated over and ready to rock once that happens

This is one of the most straightforward and non fuckery things Google has done so I'm good with it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
ctrl+f voice

quote:

As for Google Voice, the big news here is that Google is going to further disconnect Voice from Hangouts. They’ll start pushing users who use Hangouts and Voice together over to Google Voice for everything they need.
can't wait to have to use an additional app and remember who is on which one. gently caress you google

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
just make google messages do everything, imo

I love when I text someone new and see the "Chat message" box instead of the gross "Text message" box

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Stevie Lee posted:

just make google messages do everything, imo

That is the antithesis of Google's MO. It will never happen.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That's certainly one strategy to avoid an antitrust suit. Trip over your own dick owning like half a dozen competing apps or services.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Echophonic posted:

That's certainly one strategy to avoid an antitrust suit. Trip over your own dick owning like half a dozen competing apps or services.

In their defense, they do try to reduce the number of competing apps and services by getting rid of the ones that work fairly regularly.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I wish there were some alternatives to GVoice. I've been using it for almost a decade but now that I'm slowly de-googling I have to consider just porting my number back to a carrier.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm grandfathered in to the original Google Play Music price; I guess I do need to ultimately switch over to YouTube music. Has anyone wo has those old grandfathered benefits done so, and did those benefits stay?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

maltesh posted:

I'm grandfathered in to the original Google Play Music price; I guess I do need to ultimately switch over to YouTube music. Has anyone wo has those old grandfathered benefits done so, and did those benefits stay?

Yes and yes

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a recommended podcast app with progress and playlist sync that offers an android as well as an iOS app?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a recommended podcast app with progress and playlist sync that offers an android as well as an iOS app?

I know Pocket Casts syncs between the web player and the Android app so while I've never tested I assume it would sync between the Android and iOS app. I'm grandfathered into the paid plan but I'm assuming there are costs involved here. No idea if it syncs playlists but I assume it does not since the web player doesn't have any playlist or up next features that I can see. Actually it does present buttons for up next/bottom of queue when I go into a podcast details page so maybe it does sync.

Edit: By fortune, I had two unlistened to podcasts and I listened to half of one in the web player and added the other to up next, paused, and opened the app on the phone. I can confirm that both the progress and playlist syncs.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 17, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Reccomended rdp client?

Chrome rdp won't resize 1600p to the remote devices 1080 display.. Which is...not ideal.

Microsofts (the version being updated currently of the two in the play store) works much better other then windows having a refresh rate of what seems to be 2hz when scrolling in any window.. Both devices are on a decent ac 1900 network and are 60hz, no clue.

Was hoping to not have to install third party stuff on the host pc but i'm all ears at this point

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I noticed Android Auto is forcing toast notifications for song info again. Am I missing something or do I need to go back to just using google maps again?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there an app to create a keyboard where you can set your own emojis for chat? Similar to how in Slack you can upload custom emojis then use them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

zer0spunk posted:

Reccomended rdp client?

Chrome rdp won't resize 1600p to the remote devices 1080 display.. Which is...not ideal.

Microsofts (the version being updated currently of the two in the play store) works much better other then windows having a refresh rate of what seems to be 2hz when scrolling in any window.. Both devices are on a decent ac 1900 network and are 60hz, no clue.

Was hoping to not have to install third party stuff on the host pc but i'm all ears at this point

I've had good luck with Parsec. Works great from PC to PC, but I'd probably want a real keyboard for using it on a phone or tablet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

I noticed Android Auto is forcing toast notifications for song info again. Am I missing something or do I need to go back to just using google maps again?

Android Auto should be putting the song info in the bar across the bottom overlaying the controls momentarily rather than using a toast. Is this affecting your use of navigation app?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Android Auto should be putting the song info in the bar across the bottom overlaying the controls momentarily rather than using a toast. Is this affecting your use of navigation app?

Yeah, it's going over the top of the screen and dims the rest of the screen while using navigation. I had it hidden entirely before, it's a distraction I don't need.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, it's going over the top of the screen and dims the rest of the screen while using navigation. I had it hidden entirely before, it's a distraction I don't need.

yeah, I assumed that was how it was for everyone? Is it supposed to come up from the bottom? Is there a setting to change this??

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

yeah, I assumed that was how it was for everyone? Is it supposed to come up from the bottom? Is there a setting to change this??

August 20, 2020 is when Android Police wrote about it but I had it on mine about a week before that. Pretty sure it's server side. I assumed everyone had the updated UI by now.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

August 20, 2020 is when Android Police wrote about it but I had it on mine about a week before that. Pretty sure it's server side. I assumed everyone had the updated UI by now.

Those screens look like the in-dash version and I'm still on my phone so that's probably the difference. Should possibly invest in a Screen

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Those screens look like the in-dash version and I'm still on my phone so that's probably the difference. Should possibly invest in a Screen

I hadn't considered someone just using the app on their phone but that makes more sense. The good news is Driving Mode is imminent.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I need a weather app that does good push notifications. I was using a super simple IFTTT thing last winter to help remind me to bring my bong in before it froze, but I would like to stop using IFTTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Edit: By fortune, I had two unlistened to podcasts and I listened to half of one in the web player and added the other to up next, paused, and opened the app on the phone. I can confirm that both the progress and playlist syncs.

There is no sync button or anything, right? It's supposed to happen automatically? I've used it a bit over the weekend but have not had good experiences switching between my android phone and my ipad, worked maybe one time out of ten.