Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of weather apps, does anyone know if data from The Weather Channel or Weather Underground is available outside their apps? Apparently those are the top two most-accurate forecasters for my area, but I don't like their apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

hooah posted:

Speaking of weather apps, does anyone know if data from The Weather Channel or Weather Underground is available outside their apps? Apparently those are the top two most-accurate forecasters for my area, but I don't like their apps.
I believe TWC is an option for Hello Weather on the paid tier if I’m not mistaken. And a quick google shows that they do have a public API so yeah it should be at least a possibility somewhere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

You could go to Weather Underground in a browser, I suppose. I've used them for so long they are my go-to, and I paid to have no-ads on the app so stick with that, too. The app has gotten a lot more sluggish since the IBM branding showed up, though. The website is still good, although it can be a bit slow, too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fourwood posted:

I believe TWC is an option for Hello Weather on the paid tier if I’m not mistaken. And a quick google shows that they do have a public API so yeah it should be at least a possibility somewhere.

I looked at Hello Weather, but they don't seem to be able to do any kind of alerts (e.g. severe weather). I remember that from the last time I went weather app shopping, and apparently it hasn't changed. At least a few recent reviews mention it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I use MyRadar which gives alert for rain/storms/etc. Obviously focused on radar imagery but has overlays for a bunch of other stuff as well.

I find it reasonably accurate, usually if it ping saying rain starting in 10 minutes it's not wrong.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

codo27 posted:

I have pretty low expectations for Google but its truly heinous that the current messages app on Pixel allows exactly zero customization, nothing at all, besides the light/dark switch. Whats the go to texting app that actually has features?? Being able to text from my PC is imperative.

Not to give Google too much credit, but web texting is built into messages.
https://messages.google.com/
Not sure if rcs is required, but I have a setting item for device pairing.

Actually works great for me. I have my office laptop, personal desktop and iPad connected. Only one machine can receive at a time, but it rembers the pairing.

E: sorry if you already knew this and you wanted customization plus web texts. It's early in us-mdt...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

deong posted:

Not to give Google too much credit, but web texting is built into messages.
https://messages.google.com/
Not sure if rcs is required, but I have a setting item for device pairing.

Actually works great for me. I have my office laptop, personal desktop and iPad connected. Only one machine can receive at a time, but it rembers the pairing.

E: sorry if you already knew this and you wanted customization plus web texts. It's early in us-mdt...

The dell/alienware app which works in non dells and is like windows your phone is great as it even has screen mirroring and works on both iphone and android.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SpiderLink posted:

Google sucks poo poo and are coasting on some now-distant successes and banking on inertia. I'd jump ship immediately if Apple didn't suck more.

I took the plunge earlier this month after being burned by two generations of Pixel XL, the interface is worse in every way but iPhone does deliver on it's basic promises of "be a phone" and "don't yeet my texts into the void" unlike some ecosystems

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I dunno, some would call iMessage that "void" and Apple had to release an iOS 15 patch that specifically addressed dropped call issues that many were reporting.

It's the same poo poo, just in a different bag. Apple's recent distain for responsible security disclosure is something that should raise eyebrows of anyone moving to that ecosystem.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have to use an iPhone for work and I have very few nice things to say about iOS. I feel about the iPhone like I feel about Apple products in general - that I can get what I need to get done accomplished in spite of the device, not because of it.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I took the plunge earlier this month after being burned by two generations of Pixel XL, the interface is worse in every way but iPhone does deliver on it's basic promises of "be a phone" and "don't yeet my texts into the void" unlike some ecosystems

I hope it serves you well, my friend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I honestly feel iOS works better as a tablet OS than a phone OS but even then it's hugely limited compared to the hardware they are stuffing into the devices.

I think that's mainly because iOS is designed for the small screen, but the phones aren't anymore. So, the two handed nature of a tablet works in your favor navigating around. Since the majority of the touch targets for navigating around apps are in the upper left.

They just kept bolting poo poo to the interface and making the screens bigger without going through a major UI refactor and it shows, big time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have to use an iPhone for work and I have very few nice things to say about iOS. I feel about the iPhone like I feel about Apple products in general - that I can get what I need to get done accomplished in spite of the device, not because of it.

Same, I use an iPhone for work and I absolutely hate it. My pixel 6 pro is vastly superior in every way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, I use an iPhone for work and I absolutely hate it. My pixel 6 pro is vastly superior in every way.

:hfive: Really liking my Pixel 6, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

I honestly feel iOS works better as a tablet OS than a phone OS but even then it's hugely limited compared to the hardware they are stuffing into the devices.

I got an iPad after a series of Android tablets. I don't use it much (it's just a comic reading machine), but even in its very limited usage, it's so much better. Mostly because the software is better made.

Though I do kinda hate interacting with the OS, especially the notifications.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Uthor posted:

I got an iPad after a series of Android tablets. I don't use it much (it's just a comic reading machine), but even in its very limited usage, it's so much better. Mostly because the software is better made.

Though I do kinda hate interacting with the OS, especially the notifications.

But it doesn't have the best app, Tachiyomi. Not just best comic-reading, best app overall.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SpiderLink posted:

But it doesn't have the best app, Tachiyomi. Not just best comic-reading, best app overall.

Well, last time I used Android for comics was probably 5 years ago (and not much cause it sucked!) and each comic app had come significant issues. Glad there's a good one!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aware posted:

I use MyRadar which gives alert for rain/storms/etc. Obviously focused on radar imagery but has overlays for a bunch of other stuff as well.

I find it reasonably accurate, usually if it ping saying rain starting in 10 minutes it's not wrong.

There was an app iPhone bought that was really popular that had the ability to look at public weather stations that ranged from government buildings, to libraries, to people's backyards.

That feature was great because the light rail station I used to get into DC was one of these monitoring stations. DC is dumb about snow and sometimes random things would close and some would stay open. I used the light rail camera to check parking to see if it was plowed or not before I drove there.

I went with today weather because it had it at one point (I think but now I can't find it so it might have never been there) but I knew I have been paying for the subscription for some reason.

I am trying to find something like that again so any weather apps with that local weather station ability?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

EVIL Gibson posted:

There was an app iPhone bought that was really popular that had the ability to look at public weather stations that ranged from government buildings, to libraries, to people's backyards.

That feature was great because the light rail station I used to get into DC was one of these monitoring stations. DC is dumb about snow and sometimes random things would close and some would stay open. I used the light rail camera to check parking to see if it was plowed or not before I drove there.

I went with today weather because it had it at one point (I think but now I can't find it so it might have never been there) but I knew I have been paying for the subscription for some reason.

I am trying to find something like that again so any weather apps with that local weather station ability?
I’m not sure what app you’re talking about that “iPhone bought” (Apple bought?) but seeing various local weather stations has at least always kinda been Wunderground’s thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apple bought Darksky.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

Apple bought Darksky.

yup. it was awesome.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

No I know but could Dark Sky ever let you look at light rail webcams or see various different local weather stations? I don’t remember any of that functionality at all.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I've been using Metal for my Facebook needs for a while now, but it hasn't been updated since 2018 and it's starting to get jankier and jankier.

Is there another recommended Facebook wrapper?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

fourwood posted:

No I know but could Dark Sky ever let you look at light rail webcams or see various different local weather stations? I don’t remember any of that functionality at all.

It did let you at least just before the move.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
err wrong thread

Celexi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 1, 2022

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I'm looking for a water reminder app that actually reminds rather than scheduling drinks (as in, if I haven't told the app I've had a drink, it will remind me after a few hours - not just fixed intervals). You'd think an app called water reminder would actually do this, but nope.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
Isn’t that what thirst does?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sass menagerie posted:

Yeah, unless you've got some medical condition or need to pre-hydrate for some intense physical activity, just drink when you're thirsty. You'll be fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sass menagerie posted:

lol

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

sass menagerie posted:

Is that on android or just iOS?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
executive dysfunction is a fucker and sometimes you do actually need a thing to remind you that you haven't moved/hydrated/etc in a reasonable amount of time and tell you to get off your rear end and do it

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

All right friends. Does anyone have a way to force the Play Store to download a fresh apk of an app. I've got one that's been misbehaving and no amount of removal, clearing cache, and reinstalling has been able to fix it. My last resort is to try and download a fresh copy, but the store is using some sort of cache somewhere, as it installs instantly when I push the button.

I've cleared the play store's cache and data as well as the app before removing and reinstalling, but it just instantly installs the broken one.

I'm going to try clearing play services cache as well to see if that helps.

Edit: so far, none of that has helped.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 5, 2022

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Have you tried just getting the APK from somewhere else? Like through Aurora APK mirror or whatever. It's been a while so I can't vouch for those personally.

Edit: maybe try using a file explorer to locate where that data lives on your phone and delete it from there. Like "internal memory -> Android -> Data -> com.agilebits.onepassword"

Could be worth a shot.

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 5, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flatluigi posted:

executive dysfunction is a fucker and sometimes you do actually need a thing to remind you that you haven't moved/hydrated/etc in a reasonable amount of time and tell you to get off your rear end and do it

Wouldn't the same executive dysfunction just tell you to clear/silence the app notification?

e: for content, AsciiCam is a great little app and does what it sounds like.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 5, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

VelociBacon posted:

Wouldn't the same executive dysfunction just tell you to clear/silence the app notification?

As someone with ADHD, it's incredibly aggravating to have random strangers implicitly or explicitly demand I justify to them exactly how coping strategies work and what my experience is like. Like, I reflexively started typing a super-angry post before getting a grip on remembering that you, not being me, haven't had people ask the same handful of questions over and over for your entire life.

The short answer to your question is: it depends.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 5, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SpiderLink posted:

Have you tried just getting the APK from somewhere else? Like through Aurora APK mirror or whatever. It's been a while so I can't vouch for those personally.

Edit: maybe try using a file explorer to locate where that data lives on your phone and delete it from there. Like "internal memory -> Android -> Data -> com.agilebits.onepassword"

Could be worth a shot.

Didn't try that. I was getting some other system weirdness, so I decided to give it a wipe and reset. That cleared everything up including the misbehaving app.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

As someone with ADHD, it's incredibly aggravating to have random strangers implicitly or explicitly demand I justify to them exactly how coping strategies work and what my experience is like. Like, I reflexively started typing a super-angry post before getting a grip on remembering that you, not being me, haven't had people ask the same handful of questions over and over for your entire life.

The short answer to your question is: it depends.

Sorry if you're offended. Feel free to write an angry post or even a super angry one if it feels good and also answers the question. I'm legit curious what the difference is because, for example, if I'm laying in bed and I don't want to get up, and I know I'm late for whatever, and my alarm goes off, it doesn't change my knowledge of being late and therefore I just turn it off and continue what I had intended on which is to lay there. If I'm already thirsty and my phone dings and tells me to drink water, I'd close the notification and continue whatever I was doing because I've already made the implicit decision that I'd prefer to not go hydrate, if not the explicit. Is the reason the app might help because it's forcing you to make the explicit decision?

It's SA, most of us on here have MH issues of some variety myself included so think of this more as a journey of discovery and not a witch-hunt to make you atone for not drinking water. I get irritated when people post about how they have OCD because they like to line pencils up on their desk. Just trying to better understand the situation. Feel free to PM as I don't want to ruin people's day when they come here looking for sick apps like AsciiCam.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
executive dysfunction often manifests as doing nothing at all other than the thing you're doing at that exact second, even though your head is yelling at you to go do your laundry or eat some food or even go to the bathroom (at its worst). you know you have to do a thing, you WANT to go do the thing, but the connection that lets you go actually do the thing is busted until you can't delay anymore

taking the action to turn off a prompt telling you to do a thing means taking SOME action and sometimes that's enough, especially if the thing that's prompting you is annoying enough

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flatluigi posted:

executive dysfunction often manifests as doing nothing at all other than the thing you're doing at that exact second, even though your head is yelling at you to go do your laundry or eat some food or even go to the bathroom (at its worst). you know you have to do a thing, you WANT to go do the thing, but the connection that lets you go actually do the thing is busted until you can't delay anymore

taking the action to turn off a prompt telling you to do a thing means taking SOME action and sometimes that's enough, especially if the thing that's prompting you is annoying enough

Thanks, this makes sense. I guess it's more about disruption of a behavior loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know we are in 2022 but I kinda want to experiment with launchers again (been using Nova since 2010-2011). Any good modern launcher out there? I have a Windows Phone one (yes, I do liked WP interface) but I'm open for others.