Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'd say Keep but I also just yell at my phone/devices to add things to my shopping list and then to show me that shopping list when I'm at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I use OurGroceries. It syncs with Google assistant so I can just yell at my home devices if I run out of something and my hands are full, you can share lists with other people, you can sort which aisle/department things are in too if that helps you find stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Soysaucebeast posted:

I use OurGroceries. It syncs with Google assistant so I can just yell at my home devices if I run out of something and my hands are full, you can share lists with other people, you can sort which aisle/department things are in too if that helps you find stuff.

I've also been using OurGroceries forever. It's pretty nice, especially since they fixed the GOOGLE Assistant integration.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Gromit posted:

Is there a very lightweight shopping list app? I currently use Check Off, but it takes a few steps to remove an entry from the list, rather than just one press or swipe. I don't want any bells or whistles, just a simple list that maximises screen space and lets me quickly add and remove/reorder entries. No cloud integration, fancy pictures or clever reminders.

Maybe even a todo list would work? But those I've seen have lots of reminders, deadlines etc and take up lots of screen space.

I use Cinnamon, it's pretty simple. Think it has ads though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

We use Bring! after buymeapie and out of milk stopped working and it's been great for the past couple of years.

The developers are from Switzerland so there might be a euro bias in the app, ymmv i guess

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

H110Hawk posted:

Anylist is great and well worth it. We use their paid family plan for 2 years now.

Same, I also like that it auto-categorizes so when I'm at the grocery store I know what to get from each section.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sereri posted:

We use Bring! after buymeapie and out of milk stopped working and it's been great for the past couple of years.

The developers are from Switzerland so there might be a euro bias in the app, ymmv i guess

I've been using Out of Milk for years, and it's still working fine for me.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been using Out of Milk for years, and it's still working fine for me.

I don't remember what the issue with it was, but at this point they have withdrawn the app in Europe and you can't download it anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sereri posted:

I don't remember what the issue with it was, but at this point they have withdrawn the app in Europe and you can't download it anymore.

Huh.

Apparently the current owners are interested in only the US and Canada

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/06/23/out-of-milk-gives-its-international-users-the-boot/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give all of them a go and see if any of them suit. Cheers.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
My partner uses an android phone in vibrate for an alarm clock. Sometimes, I'm randomly awake on mornings that it's "their turn" to do all the kiddo morning stuff.

I'd like a way to turn the alarm off on their phone without having to try to pry it from their side of the bed, or an alarm app that allows this. Anyone know of anything? Sort of a corner case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://9to5google.com/2023/01/19/twitter-clients-banned/

lol and lmao

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

lol, thanks elon

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Good job, Elon. Good thing nobody thinks you're a loving dipshit.

Oh wait. Sorry. I misspoke. Almost everyone knows you are.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My partner uses an android phone in vibrate for an alarm clock. Sometimes, I'm randomly awake on mornings that it's "their turn" to do all the kiddo morning stuff.

I'd like a way to turn the alarm off on their phone without having to try to pry it from their side of the bed, or an alarm app that allows this. Anyone know of anything? Sort of a corner case.

if you haver assistant shortcuts enabled you can just say stop.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there a decent PDF viewer that supports layers? No need to edit, just toggle layers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody else's YouTube stop being able to play while closed (I pay for yt premium or whatever), and stop having any controls in the pulldown screen or on their lock screen?

I just updated my phone (Galaxy S22) this morning and my YouTube is hosed now, legit going to cancel it if I can't figure this out in a day or two

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody else's YouTube stop being able to play while closed (I pay for yt premium or whatever), and stop having any controls in the pulldown screen or on their lock screen?

I just updated my phone (Galaxy S22) this morning and my YouTube is hosed now, legit going to cancel it if I can't figure this out in a day or two

Haven't noticed anything similar on mine (Pixel 7P, part of the NO JANUARY UPDATE FOR YOU group, also pay for YT premium).

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I just installed the update to one ui5/android 13 on my s21u a couple days ago and I just tested that my premium youtube does work when the app is 'minimized'. The lock screen controls were present. The pull down controls were missing until I disabled picture in picture for YouTube, then they showed up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cool, thanks for that info!

I'll see about loving with the settings and hope I can get it to work.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Johnny Truant posted:

YouTube Music appears to be down right now, at least for me and some others. Might have something to do with it.

https://9to5google.com/2023/01/24/youtube-music-down/
https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/thread/198792591?utm_source=teamyoutube&utm_medium=twitter&linkId=8514597

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

docbeard posted:

Haven't noticed anything similar on mine (Pixel 7P, part of the NO JANUARY UPDATE FOR YOU group, also pay for YT premium).

I checked and got the Play Store update on my Pixel 6, and it actually shows a January build date, which I guess some phones haven't been doing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It came back pretty quickly, but it was annoying for me as it poo poo the bed while I was trying to search for something. I thought it was Android Auto loving up, because that's usually the case. Glad to have it back, because My Supermix is way better than anything available on Spotify.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I checked and got the Play Store update on my Pixel 6, and it actually shows a January build date, which I guess some phones haven't been doing.

Yeah, there are some kind of shenanigans with the January update that seems to affect T-Mobile (and Google Fi, which uses T-Mobile's network) customers in particular.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

AlexDeGruven posted:

It came back pretty quickly, but it was annoying for me as it poo poo the bed while I was trying to search for something. I thought it was Android Auto loving up, because that's usually the case. Glad to have it back, because My Supermix is way better than anything available on Spotify.

Yeah I thought it had lost my entire library and was losing my poo poo for a second there.

Speaking of Android Auto, in order to get Google Maps into night mode I have to go into the Android Auto settings and change the Maps night mode preference (e.g. from "night" or "auto" to "day" then back to the setting I actually want) every single time Android Auto starts up if I want maps to use night mode. It always opens up to day time mode regardless of this setting or the time of day. Any ideas?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So I'm using the Firefox Nightly and there is one thing that bothers me: when I hit back enough times, it takes me to new tab screen, but it leaves the last tab open in the background. I just want it to go away. I sometimes look at all my tabs and I see I site I visit and back out of in a half dozen of them.

Is there an option to close the tab completely when I hit back far enough?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ok so now gmail opens links in a built in browser too. That's like the third app I've come across in the past year that thinks this is a desirable feature worth adding somehow. Sure you can turn this one off, I just don't get the trend. Who benefits?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ok so now gmail opens links in a built in browser too. That's like the third app I've come across in the past year that thinks this is a desirable feature worth adding somehow. Sure you can turn this one off, I just don't get the trend. Who benefits?

Gmail. What if you're someone who installs firefox or some other heretic browsers that gmail has no control over? Can't let that happen.
We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a good to-do list app, similar to Todoist, that isn't subscription based? I like Todoist, but the only paid feature I'd use is reminder notifications. I don't care about cloud syncing or collaboration either. I'll probably just end up continuing to use the free tier of Todoist

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Isn't OneNote free?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deeters posted:

Is there a good to-do list app, similar to Todoist, that isn't subscription based? I like Todoist, but the only paid feature I'd use is reminder notifications. I don't care about cloud syncing or collaboration either. I'll probably just end up continuing to use the free tier of Todoist

I just use Google Keep

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I like being able to set due dates, which I can't with Keep. I haven't messed with OneNote in a while though

Also I should clarify that I don't mind paying some money for the app, I just don't want a subscription

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

I just use Google Keep

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

And it's not showing this powered by anymore?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

H110Hawk posted:

And it's not showing this powered by anymore?

It does say that and some adblock test page's results suggest at least uBlock origin is working in it, which really surprises me. That definitely wasn't the case for Outlook when they introduced opening web links in their app.

I still don't get who it's for though.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

OK I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to be able to have some sort of wiki like thing where I can have different pages for different cities and then on those pages have text and inline images (loads of screenshots off instagram, web pages etc). Probably some sort of note app that let's you include images?

I guess I could just chuck the screenshots in folders but I'd like to be able to annotate etc as well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

field balm posted:

OK I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to be able to have some sort of wiki like thing where I can have different pages for different cities and then on those pages have text and inline images (loads of screenshots off instagram, web pages etc). Probably some sort of note app that let's you include images?

I guess I could just chuck the screenshots in folders but I'd like to be able to annotate etc as well.

OneNote would work for this

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deeters posted:

I like being able to set due dates, which I can't with Keep. I haven't messed with OneNote in a while though

Also I should clarify that I don't mind paying some money for the app, I just don't want a subscription

Yeah you can set reminders to pop up with Keep but not specifically due dates. I just use a checklist personally, but I am a very boring person with very few tasks that aren't work related.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

It sounds boomer as gently caress but, for travel itineraries, the very best result I've had came from using a plain simple Google doc that you can then share around, or print to PDF and send to people. Put your tickets and stuff in a Google Drive folder and link to it from the doc, and include hyperlinks to the Google Maps/what3words entries for places where you'll be going, and you've bettered literally every trip planner app/website I've used, without even needing to upsell car rental packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the new notification icon for google messages sucks. it doesn't even change when you have multiple new messages like the old one did